New Book on the Ben Line.

ian keyl
10th February 2009, 21:00
A new book has just been compiled by Graeme Somner and published by Ships in Focus Publications of Preston .

This is an excellent up todate book about the Ben Line and all its associated companies there are many very good photographs of the whole era of Ben Line and many which have never been shown before . I received my copy this am and I am over the moon with it ,for all of you Ben head bangers out there this is worth a look see. 236 pages and maybe three times that many photos. Not so cheap but worth every penny of 28.50 if i remember correct.

We deserve a good publication about the company and this is it .

Good after watch reading lads

Ian.

ian keyl
11th February 2009, 09:27
Just a quick update on this publication ,there is an article about the Benwyvis at Connels under construction and it shows photos but unfortunatley it is not the Wyvis but the Benstac as you can see the hatch profiles on the upper tween deck and it clearly shows twin hatches and not triple like the Wyvis. this just a minor mistake but all those who know the ships inside out will see it but still enjoy a great book.

Rgds ian.

forthbridge
11th February 2009, 12:11
Ian
Do you have more details about this book and how to get it? I looked on the ships in focus website but the only one shown there by Graeme Somner is shown as being published in 1980.
Dave

K urgess
11th February 2009, 12:32
I can't find anything later than 1980 either, Ian.
Have you got a link or can you say where you heard about it?

Panurus Biarmicus
11th February 2009, 14:31
Available from J.and M. Clarkson, 18 Franklands, Longton, Preston PR4 5PD

You can order on Ships In Focus credit card order line : 01772 612855

Regards

Willie Mac
11th February 2009, 16:47
Hi Ian

I've looked on Ships In Focus and Amazon websites but cannot find any mention of the book. Any more information would be appreciated.

Willie Mac

john fraser
11th February 2009, 18:39
Willie.
If you get a hold of "Ships Monthly" it has been advertised on J & M Clarksons page for some time now.although it is just out.
A better book would be a book written by the people that sailed in Ben Line.There would be some stories then

BillH
11th February 2009, 18:48
Hi Ian

I've looked on Ships In Focus and Amazon websites but cannot find any mention of the book. Any more information would be appreciated.

Willie Mac
Do not think their website has been updated for some considerable time.

ian keyl
12th February 2009, 00:12
Sorry lads i did not include the address of the company to which you could obtain this book,Panurus has given the correct details ,the book was only published last month and guess what its not China ,Vietnam ,italy or Brazil but here in the UK West Yorkshire at least that will help the balance of payments .
I could not dispute what John has said about the the better book to be written would be by those who sailed in the ships ,then that would not be a history but a bloody good read and laugh. I think it would take a lot of time and effort to gather all the stories and compile some sort of story book,mind ou it might take more to extract stories from all those who are still alive. I think we may have missed many a good yarn and true story from those who have passed away and were never able to see this web site.
Rgds Ian.

roymuir
12th February 2009, 00:21
Does anyone have the name of the book?
Regards, Roy.

ian keyl
12th February 2009, 01:37
Yes Roy it is caled "Ben Line " by Graeme Somner and published by Ships in Focus Publications . It is an A4 ize and has a colour photo of the Stac on the front with a grey background, the isbn number is 9781901703542.
and the address for purchase is mentioned above in one of the other captions. the phone number is 01772612855 john Clarkson,web site is www.shipsinfocus.com .

Iam sure many of you will enjoy it .

Rgds Ian.

roymuir
12th February 2009, 03:53
Thanks for that, Iain. Will get straight on to it.
Regards, Roy.

BillH
12th February 2009, 07:21
Yes Roy it is caled "Ben Line " by Graeme Somner and published by Ships in Focus Publications . It is an A4 ize and has a colour photo of the Stac on the front with a grey background, the isbn number is 9781901703542.
and the address for purchase is mentioned above in one of the other captions. the phone number is 01772612855 john Clarkson,web site is www.shipsinfocus.com .

Iam sure many of you will enjoy it .

Rgds Ian.
This is the authors fourth contribution, the earlier editions being through the WSS.
The first was 1967 with 2nd edition in 1980, that being supplemented in 1985.

Those like myself with his early works on the shelf would have to question the expenditure for this latest volume.

Apart from photographic content being greatly improved (Ships in Focus speciality) how much new information on the company has it got considering the short time the company remained after his 1986 update having moved into bulk and oil trades aside the large container vessels.

Not decrying the venture by any means - only expressing my own viewpoint.

Bill

forthbridge
12th February 2009, 13:38
Willie.
If you get a hold of "Ships Monthly" it has been advertised on J & M Clarksons page for some time now.although it is just out.
A better book would be a book written by the people that sailed in Ben Line.There would be some stories then

About 10 years ago an ex Ben Line man started to write a book and was collecting information from various people including myself. The initial contact was made I think via a letter from him in Scots Magazine. I think his name was Gordon Cunningham and he came I think from Grangemouth area. Last I heard he was trying to find a publisher then I lost touch with him so not sure what happened. I think he may have been a former Chief Steward though not sure of this. Maybe the information for this project is still there if he or someone in his family reads this

gordier51
12th February 2009, 14:12
Willie.

i totaly agree john i think you could be the very man now that your nearly retired!!!!

Ali Bain
13th February 2009, 06:42
Aye Mr. Fraser there is a nice challenge for you in your retirement..!!!
Ali. Bain.

japottinger
16th February 2009, 20:20
Re above book, not sure about the captions on photos of the small tankers being launched sideway at Zerikzee in Holland, not aware that there was yard there.

Ali Bain
21st February 2009, 16:41
Totally agree with Ian Keyl, a great book, the best I have seen on the Ben Line. Well done to Ships in Focus publications and the author Graeme Somner. Great photographs. All we need now is for John Fraser to do one on the "characters"
Ali. Bain.

john fraser
21st February 2009, 20:36
Totally agree with Ian Keyl, a great book, the best I have seen on the Ben Line. Well done to Ships in Focus publications and the author Graeme Somner. Great photographs. All we need now is for John Fraser to do one on the "characters"
Ali. Bain.

Hi Ali.
Are you going to support me against the Ben line wifes in the court cases that would follow the book. Can you imagine "Ma man niver did that"
A TV series might be better because we would need some of the actions.

ian keyl
22nd February 2009, 01:04
Maybe BBC Scotland would do a programme on the Ben Line charaters as they do some great programmes and it could easily be a tribute to all the areas of Scotland with the fine souls who sailed with Ben. mind you we would have to include some of our close cousins south of the border as Ben was not all about kelts many a fine man came from down south. Would everybody understand Rab C Nesbit.
Rgds Ian

Ali Bain
23rd February 2009, 15:17
Mr. Fraser,
At least you are now speaking to me. I saw you in the Saint Giles centre the last time home but you were surrounded by your entourage of "admirers" and perhaps did not see me:-) As you obviously still have it, you are certainly the man for the job..!!!
Ali.

Ali Bain
23rd February 2009, 15:58
Maybe BBC Scotland would do a programme on the Ben Line charaters as they do some great programmes and it could easily be a tribute to all the areas of Scotland with the fine souls who sailed with Ben. mind you we would have to include some of our close cousins south of the border as Ben was not all about kelts many a fine man came from down south. Would everybody understand Rab C Nesbit.
Rgds Ian

Ian,
As you say there were a few good men from South of Hadrians wall but we would have to include Gaelic subtitles for about half the crews I sailed with :-)
Ali.

wully farquhar
2nd March 2009, 19:58
Available from J.and M. Clarkson, 18 Franklands, Longton, Preston PR4 5PD

You can order on Ships In Focus credit card order line : 01772 612855

Regards

Ordered the book by phoning the number above and no problem,book in the post. Cheers.(Thumb)

ian keyl
2nd March 2009, 21:41
Hi Wully,I am sure you will njoy the book, what happened to your brother was it Neil , I sailed with him on the Valla when he was JOS?SOS and I think youg John Banks was there also ,he went on to the Wyvis when i was there on maiden voyage ,If you see the wee beast william MacGregor please pas on my best regards,I learnt a lot from him even if he didnt like cadets. I remember one night on Ocean terminal wullie had been ashore in the bar at the end of the pier and the Ch/off robin Galloway passed bye tey did not see Eye to eye those two and i was on nights and up the fore deck when all hell broke loose on the pier i, i and the 2nd leckie ran down on the quay to keepthem apart it was words and egos that were being exchanged but not good . Wully always lloked asmart man when going ashore and had those burning eyes i think he must have had to take about half an hour to shave when going ashore .If you saw him on dek in his shorts his back and chest were like a jungle of black hair.
Never the less a great bloke and seaman.

Rgds ian.

wully farquhar
3rd March 2009, 13:20
Cheers Ian,Yes brother is still going about,don't see William to much as he now stays in Buckie,he was back in Thurso last year for his brother's funeral but i missed him,i sailed with him on the Lomond,remember on that trip he came out of the shower one day and a young deck boy was passing at the time when he turned round and said to Wully "you look like an ape" well you can imagine the rest!!!,I'll swear that laddie never said such a thing again. (Frogger)
Cheers Wully

john fraser
3rd March 2009, 15:46
Ian.
Young John Banks,after Ben Line,sailed on the'Shetland Trader".From there he went to the standby boats.He used to call in past Burghead on his way North to see the late Ian Ralph but I haven,t heard of him since Ians funeral almost 3 years ago.