Maritime Matters

Paul UK
12th February 2009, 00:40
I know this is an alternative site, but have a look , they are reporting that the SS United States is up for sale maybe to the scrap yards and QE2 not being converted but could head for scrappers as well once the spotlight is off her !!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Malky Glaister
12th February 2009, 02:29
Alright sight for those who are interested in cruise ships. Its a shame to hear what might happen to United States and QE2 but it's not suprising,
Regards to all,
Malky Glaister

fred henderson
12th February 2009, 13:36
The general view is that Dubai is running out of money and is being bailed out by Abu Dhabi, so they may not be able to finance the QE2 conversion at present. To sell the ship for scrap would hit them with a major financial loss. Dubai paid a big premium for the icon status of QE2. The beach will only pay on a tonnage basis and with the state of the world eceonomy scrap values must continue to fall rapidly.

Fred

Paul UK
12th February 2009, 13:52
Lets hope so Fred, but I must admit I thought Dubai's oil would last a while yet.

Paul

Ps Have you seen anything about this other than on Maritime matters

fred henderson
12th February 2009, 16:32
Lets hope so Fred, but I must admit I thought Dubai's oil would last a while yet.

Paul

Ps Have you seen anything about this other than on Maritime matters

Dubai has very little oil, which is why it has tried to become a financial/tourist centre. I have not seen any other reports about QE2.

Fred

Paul UK
13th February 2009, 09:53
Hi Fred

Juan has posted another link with a picture of her " QE2" a reply to my earlier query.

Paul