Trevaylor

CLIVE R786860
12th February 2009, 03:32
Hi lads was anybody out there on the worst ship/best ship i was ever on in 1963/64 joined her in Smiths dock North Sheilds,full geordie crew a very much upstairs and downstairs tramp steamer.Trip was Baton Rouge to load grain for Japan then run light ship down to the Socitey Islands where we loaded phosephate back up to Japan,we done this run three times then across the Pacfic to load cut timber around British Columbia for Surry Comercial in London.If i remember the captain was Eric Stewart who had a lot to put up with that trip .10 months of agro all the way,but I would do it all again.VNC.DRS AND GOODS were dished out when we paid off.(Cloud)

PollY Anna
13th February 2009, 00:32
Clive what did you get 2 VG's. I did 2 Hains and had great fun, both deck crews where top class they were both crewed from all over the UK

P.S both good feeders

Regards Ron

CLIVE R786860
13th February 2009, 21:32
Hi Ron nearly got a VNC off her when she left New Westminster for Victoria BC but when the money ran out got a lift to Vancouver where the ships agent gave us ferry fare to rejoin the ship at Victoria.Still got a DR when we paid off,but as you say loking back it was a good laugh.Which ones were you on?and what was your position on board. regards Clive

Monket
13th February 2009, 23:10
This thread might interest you.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5056

I sailed SOS on the Tremayne 1958/59.

Arthur Jenner
14th February 2009, 00:15
I always wanted a trip an a Hains ship. I heard that they had luxury accommodation.

Monket
14th February 2009, 00:26
I always wanted a trip an a Hains ship. I heard that they had luxury accommodation.

Mine wasn't, lived up to their name as hungry Haines as well.
I remember stealing biscuits out of the lifeboats.

PollY Anna
14th February 2009, 14:20
Hi Clive (R786860)

I did the Trelevan 07/06/63 to 04/11/63 (1st trip EDH) she was a bit old 2 Ab's to a cabin all ratings below SOS JOS & Deck Boys, 4 to a cabin She carried minimum Ab's the 3 Midshipman counted as Ab's so they had the 4 to 8 watch. Only the Bosun had trouble (he liked his drink too much) and was paid off early in Cape Town, I think the skipper was very kind to him paid off ill so I think that he he got 2 VG's

A year later joined the Treneglos HT & FGN 20/07/64 to 04/06/65 (EDH) everybody had a single cabin even Deck Boys one or 2 older Ab's had a drink prob and in dry dock Christmas tried to upset the the officers mess one or 2 quick swings with one of the Engineers soughted that out you can't fight very well when half drunk. A little twist when we paid off Belfast with grain yours truly was leaning by the gangway having a smoke and who comes up the gangway but the skipper from 2 years ago sees me and straight away said hallo Ron you signing on like hell I replied have just done 11 months I want some time at home that's OK he said join us when we sign FGN. I some times regret it as I think if I had stayed with them I might have gone all the way up the pipe and taken my tickets or Certificates as some people like to define them. That as they say is another story.

Regards Ron

John Adamson
21st February 2009, 23:55
Good to see other people that served with Hains. By the time I joined in August of 65 it was Hain - Nourse,and the ships were painted an ugly blue. Served my apprenticeship on many of the Hain ships but liked the Nourse and Asiatic ships more, which were Indian crewed.Lots of Curry!

PollY Anna
23rd February 2009, 13:34
John (Adamson)

The Treneglos had her funnel painted with the HN in Hong Kong dry dock in early 65, while other work was carried out ie new bottom after the problem in Timaru.

Regards Ron

Buster2003
31st March 2009, 01:43
Good to see other people that served with Hains. By the time I joined in August of 65 it was Hain - Nourse,and the ships were painted an ugly blue. Served my apprenticeship on many of the Hain ships but liked the Nourse and Asiatic ships more, which were Indian crewed.Lots of Curry!

Hi John,

A lot of water under the bridge since we last met up in Philipsburg, are you still a resident of St Maarten? I will be returning October/November this time not loading Potts Rum but as a cruise line passenger.
Regards
Clive Welch

aleccrichton1982
9th May 2009, 20:34
i sailed on the trewidden 1968 to 1969 mostly general cargo for ports in the red sea.a good ship we were charterd to hanza line of germany .we had the old german cross on the funnel.when sailing up to hamburg a band on the bank side started to play the german national anthem.when we past and they saw trewidden london.they started playing god save the queen.we all had a good laugh

Ken Davidson
13th September 2011, 22:00
I was an apprentice on the trevaylor from 1953 still have discharge book and photos etc any one from that era?
By the way Hains gave me a unique and memorable experience and made me a good seaman.I will be eternaly grateful to all the crew (some sadistic some sensetive) who forged my character during those four valuable years

the xeal
14th September 2011, 02:17
Hi lads was anybody out there on the worst ship/best ship i was ever on in 1963/64 joined her in Smiths dock North Sheilds,full geordie crew a very much upstairs and downstairs tramp steamer.Trip was Baton Rouge to load grain for Japan then run light ship down to the Socitey Islands where we loaded phosephate back up to Japan,we done this run three times then across the Pacfic to load cut timber around British Columbia for Surry Comercial in London.If i remember the captain was Eric Stewart who had a lot to put up with that trip .10 months of agro all the way,but I would do it all again.VNC.DRS AND GOODS were dished out when we paid off.(Cloud) Hi Clive TREVAYLOR was my first trip with a mixed crew of geordies / jocks/welsh/scousers/ bosun known as cockney sparrow a gr8 guy cockney. i have very fond memories at tramping arond the carrabean with these guys brilliant trip. {2 guys from north shields i would love to no what become of them Terry Owens@ Digger Bell Digger was former R.N Regards xeal.