Welcome to Shipsnostalgia

Steve
10th April 2004, 17:14
Hello and welcome to ships Nostalgia, Thank-you for taking the time to visit our site.

We do not officially open until the End of april 2004, however you are very welcome to help us to Build the board.

Please feel free to register and then start posting on the Forums or Pictures in the Gallery or Both!

ALL CATAGORIES ARE LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
IF YOU WOULD LIKE A SHIPPING LINE ADDED PLEASE, LEAVE A POST UNDER THIS ONE, AND IT WILL BE ADDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Please E mail Me at admin@shipsnostalgia.com if you require any more info or just want to say Hello!

Kind Rgds
Steve

Mathew C
10th April 2004, 17:27
Hi Steve, this looks a very exciting site. How do I go about putting photos in the gallery?
Many thanks,
Mat

Andy
10th April 2004, 17:38
Hi Steve, this looks a very exciting site. How do I go about putting photos in the gallery?
Many thanks,
MatHi Mat, a warm welcome to Shipsnostalgia from all of us here. We hope you enjoy the site. As for putting photos in the gallery:

Go to the Gallery (In the orange horizontal navigation bar along the top of the page).

Wait until all the photos on the gallery page download and then scroll down past the 'most recent photos'. On the right side of the purple horizontal bar there should be some clickable text 'upload photos', click this.

Now choose, via the drop down menu, the appropriate gallery for your photo to go in.

Next, you click the browse button to browse to the photo you wish to upload. Double click on your photo and it's name and location on your pc will appear in the browse window.

After this, you can select whether you wish to be notified of any comments via e-mail.

Scroll down and click on the upload/submit button. Wait while the photo is processed and then you will see another screen where you can enter details about the subject, giving the photo a suitable title (hopefully the ship's name)
After filling in the details click on the 'process file' button.

Finally, you will see 'click here to return to the main menu' and this will take you back to the main photo gallery where your photo should be visible.

Photos uploaded should be jpg format, ideally less than 150kb in size and be no more than 800 pixels along the longest length. Although your photo will be automatically resized if it is too large, the quality will be poorer than if you resize them yourself.

regards,
Andy

Mathew C
11th April 2004, 18:38
Thank you very much for that. This is best forum system that I have seen, I'm really looking forward to this site's future as the potential is huge.
Thanks,
Mat

cal
9th May 2004, 22:17
I was a merchant seaman from 1970 to the mid 80's. I'm always looking for photos of the ships I was on etc and to hear about old mates. I now live on the Isle of Scalpay, Harris and work for a fish farm. This looks like it will be an interesting site. Regards to all - Cal

Ian
10th May 2004, 01:54
Now where the hell is the Isle of Scalpey????
Hi there from Canada.
I am one of the admins. for the site and welcome you to the 'forum'.
Spent some time in the MN as a 'sparks' and hope to hear of some interesting 'escapades' from those who have now been 'beached' like myself and rely on other's nostalgia to take me back!!!
Hope you can check in often.
Cheers from Montreal,
Ian.

oldbosun
8th July 2004, 05:34
I am having great difficulty in getting around the site. This is my first time in and I'm trying to follow the 'introduce myself', but it keeps taking me in circles.No matter what I click on, I'm getting nowhere. Frustrating to say the least ! Peter...........Toronto

John Rogers
14th July 2004, 14:38
I am having great difficulty in getting around the site. This is my first time in and I'm trying to follow the 'introduce myself', but it keeps taking me in circles.No matter what I click on, I'm getting nowhere. Frustrating to say the least ! Peter...........Toronto

Dont feel alone,my feet get tangled around the axel,it must be our age. What ports did you sail out of,I saled out of Avonmouth mostly,started in 1947. Take care. Oldsalt. :hey:

sijac
23rd July 2004, 14:05
Dont feel alone,my feet get tangled around the axel,it must be our age. What ports did you sail out of,I saled out of Avonmouth mostly,started in 1947. Take care. Oldsalt. :hey:

I don't suppose you sailed on Donaldsons. I did as an apprentice-ex Conway-on the Lakonia and Salacia.

oldbosun
23rd July 2004, 21:15
undefinedDont feel alone,my feet get tangled around the axel,it must be our age. What ports did you sail out of,I saled out of Avonmouth mostly,started in 1947. Take care. Oldsalt. :hey:

[COLOR=Blue]In the UK I mostly sailed out of London's Royal Docks, but I have sailed out of Cardiff,Southampton and Middlesboro', London's West India docks also, which is now Canary Wharf which coincidently I worked on a dredger cleaning the docks up while Canary Wharf was under construction. Took out hundreds of thousands of fathoms of discarded wire of all kinds. over 300 cars, 2 unexploded WW2 bombs, countless unexploded AA shells, Thousands of old bottles, dinner plates etc. all no doubt dumped overboard by lazy peggies and stewards. No need for me to say that all those docks around the UK are not serving their original use now. Also we cleaned up London's Surrey Commercial Dock, which is now surrounded by condos and the dock is a marina. In the 40's 50's 60's who ever woulda thought it? What a change in one person's lifetime. :fol:

oreosa55
5th August 2004, 14:50
hi steve thanks for the warm welcome, i am not sure how to navigate the site yet, i am going to have a look round and try to work it all out. cheers jim :eat_arrow

Anthony Chappell
6th August 2004, 09:05
Goodness knows where this will go ! Too many options and buttons to press for me However Give it a try Eh !. I wonder if anybody at sea during the late 40 early 50 era will remember the Bridge supper box ? I recall the difficulty with the dim chartroom light spooning the condensed milk into the cup Plus how many cockroaches we shall never Know ! Tony

Steve
7th August 2004, 11:21
Hello Anthony And Welcome aboard.

Awatea
31st August 2004, 21:07
What a wonderful site. just what I've been looking for. You will notice I go under the name of "Awatea" Simply my favorite ship. Awatea means "Eye of the Dawn" and operated on the Trans Tasman between NZ & Australia from 1936 until 1940. She was sunk of Tunis in 1942. Quite simply one of the most beautiful liners ever built with a GRT of 13,000 and twin raked funnels.
I often wish I had been alive when she was in service! I live here in Auckland and have collected maritime bits & pieces for about 40 years. I hope to add useful posts about what is happening in this part of the world. Over the last few seasons cruising has become very popular in NZ and I try to photgraph most ships against the beautiful harbour we have so will post them when I can. This coming season will see the Sapphire Princess become the largest to call.
I have a large collection of reference material so can generally answer most queries on passenger ships that do, or have, operated in this area.
I look forward to spending some relaxing hours exploring this site.
Cheers for now

Steve
1st September 2004, 18:06
Hello Awatea and Welcome to our little group Of Nostalgia members.

mutuelmanager1
3rd September 2004, 21:22
Just wanted to say being an avid cruiser and ship buff, it was nice to find this site.....kind of sad to read that the old sitmar ship Fairwind was being broken up, It was the second ship I ever sailed and she was a nice one, especially compared to my first cruise on board the ill fated Angelina Lauro, I was on it the week before it caught fire, have to say that ship should have been scraped way before the fire, I only was on the ship because of a nice couple I had met in Aruba, who talked us into meeting them the following year on this ship, glad the next year I gave cruising one more chance, 32 uner my belt now, just did the beautiful Carribean Princess, I really enjoy reading and hearing about the old ships! : :

Steve
4th September 2004, 11:59
Hello MM1

A very warm welcome to you from the Members and Admin, Please feel free to post any photos you have of your Voyages!

Rgds
Steve

haggis29
3rd October 2004, 19:34
Hello members. I have just registered as a new member. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hamish

Fairfield
3rd October 2004, 20:00
Hi there,welcome to Ships Nostalgia.The site is expanding rapidly and I/m sure you/ll find something to your taste.There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so I/m sure any questions will hopefully be answered.
Look forward to you being on site.I take it you might just possibly be an ex-pat Scot.I/m from Glasgow and still there.

tanker
4th October 2004, 10:59
Welcome from Italy by a great passioned of merchant ships!!!
hi
GP for friends!!

cassim
16th March 2005, 04:03
Hi there - I am just a new boy to this site but enjoying it immensely. I am in Wellington New Zealand and if anyone is coming over for the World Cup later this year we could perhaps meet for a meal and a look around the port I was in the USS Co of NZ Ltd for eight years then Air NZ for 20 yrs. By a strange coincidence the Domestic airline Union Aiways was formed by Union Steam and eventually part of the Air NZ empire. Small world isnt it!
Cheers
Selwyn
"Cassim"

Doug Rogers
16th March 2005, 04:41
Hi Cassim
Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy it..there is an awful lot to enjoy and some very knowledgeable people about.
Was in Wellington in Sept last year (now he tells me) but regret that the schedule hasnt budgeted for the World Cup as yet!!. Cheers..Doug

flyer682
16th March 2005, 09:19
Welcome aboard Selwyn. I'm a bit further down the road just north of Christchurch.
As Doug says, this is becoming quite some site - people from all over with all sorts of experience and knowledge.
Incidentally Doug, I shall be passing through Sydney later in the year......

Doug Rogers
16th March 2005, 10:37
Well in that case do pop in and say hello if its convenient, would love to see you if you can make the time. We are not far out of the centre of the city so its not an onerous trip.
Doug

redgreggie
13th June 2005, 22:34
can you add United Baltic Corporation to your list.
i think they were probably a very prosperous company. their main routes were from either Hull or Surrey Commercial Docks, London, to Finland, Sweden and Poland and i think Russia.
I was on two ships Baltic Jet and Baltic Importer and were good ships to work on, i probably spent 18 months between both ships.

Novice 9
15th June 2005, 23:17
Hello there to all old salts. (Eats)
Even though I've been around for quite some time I really have no sea time.
Apart for some cross Channel ferries and sailing aboard Scillonian III in 83 that's pretty much sums my sea time.
I do have some ships photos and will post them a.s.p (Thumb)

silverghost_1@yahoo.co.uk
29th June 2005, 21:23
undefinedundefinedHello and welcome to ships Nostalgia, Thank-you for taking the time to visit our site.

We do not officially open until the End of april 2004, however you are very welcome to help us to Build the board.

Please feel free to register and then start posting on the Forums or Pictures in the Gallery or Both!

ALL CATAGORIES ARE LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
IF YOU WOULD LIKE A SHIPPING LINE ADDED PLEASE, LEAVE A POST UNDER THIS ONE, AND IT WILL BE ADDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Please E mail Me at admin@shipsnostalgia.com if you require any more info or just want to say Hello!

Kind Rgds
Steve

silverghost_1@yahoo.co.uk
29th June 2005, 21:28
Hi Steve thanks for the welcome. Might sound thick but how do i use site to my advantage, dont quite understand terminology. It is a terriffic site and has great potencial, if new users can understand how to find there way around it.thanks again Bob

chrisreeves
16th July 2005, 10:07
Hello
Can anyone tell me what happened to Combard & longstaff, and the Cardiffbrook I worked on it as a cabin boy about 1963/4.
Thanks for any info.

flyer682
16th July 2005, 12:37
Welcome aboard, Chris. A lot of knowledgable people here, so someone should be able to answer your question.
Please take the time to read the "Guidelines To Posting" thread, which you will find in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. This should help with any questions you may regarding posting to the site.

Mac
17th July 2005, 06:54
Hello Chris
All I could find was that Comben Longstaff, Williamstown Shipping Co, were the owners. In 1954 they had eleven ships in their fleet all of similar size to the Cardiffbrook (1812 gross tons). The Cardiffbrook was built in 1952.

Cheers
Mac

Roches Point
17th July 2005, 13:42
As you can guess from my user name I'm from Cork in the South of Ireland..Imust say this forum is a great idea and I look forward to meeting new friend's and reading great and exciting storie's from the deep.
Kevin

flyer682
17th July 2005, 13:47
Welcome aboard, Kevin. You should find plenty to interest you here, so enjoy the site.
Please take the time to read the "Guidelines To Posting" thread, which you will find in either the Members Notice Board or Say Hello forums. This should help with any questions you may have regarding posting to the site.

leonard small
15th August 2005, 22:16
new member from canada via dundee scotland
great site
LRS

billyboy
16th August 2005, 01:20
Welcome aboard novice 9. you are in good company here. ship full of knowledge and fun. did some cross channel work myself so dont be shy about that. that channel can get a bit lumpy in a south west gale!!

tell
16th August 2005, 02:27
As you can guess from my user name I'm from Cork in the South of Ireland..Imust say this forum is a great idea and I look forward to meeting new friend's and reading great and exciting storie's from the deep.
Kevin
Hey Kevin I was shipmates with a few guys from your area in the 40s I was on the Greypoint belonging JJ Macks, they came from Cape Clear, they were named Cornelius O'Driscoll and Tommy Regan, I sure would like to know how they are. Terry Butler (Tell)

RPKAYE
23rd August 2005, 16:06
I just joined shipsnostalgia.com based upon its ad in the September issue of Ships Monthly. Haven't fully explored the site yet but generally, if it floats, I'm interested in it. My primary passion is modern warships: US and international. In addition to an extensive (700+ volumes) library, I have taken and collected, since 1968, over 2000 photographs, primarily of naval vessels and other government owned vessels (police, fire, pilot, coast guard, customs, research/survey etc.) taken during ship and base visits in the USA and abroad. I also scratch build (from wood) modern naval vessels in 1/400th scale. My actual sea experience is limited to a Summer (during college) as an ordinary seaman aboard an old Sealand container ships (a C-4 conversion doing a coastal US run as a feeder ship) called the 'Arizpa' (long gone to razorblades). I head the litigation department of a New York City corporate/real estate law firm and have an active family so I find my passion for naval and maritime matters (I read about 20 periodicals monthly) a real relaxation opportunity. I'll be interested in joining into conversations on-line. Since I have just gone "digital" with my photography gear, I expect to be able to post many new photographs. Best regards, Richard Kaye

R58484956
23rd August 2005, 16:29
Welcome to the site Richard, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity.The site seems to have experts in virtually every aspect of ships and shipping. Litigation being very prominent in the USA, I am surprised you will have the time to spend a lot of time on site.

RPKAYE
23rd August 2005, 17:18
Welcome to the site Richard, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity.The site seems to have experts in virtually every aspect of ships and shipping. Litigation being very prominent in the USA, I am surprised you will have the time to spend a lot of time on site.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to some involvement here. I'm sure to find some time! Richard

michael james
23rd August 2005, 23:21
Welcome to SN Richard,
A relaxing opportunity awaits you here, knowledgable and maritime-minded membership
- enjoy.

Coastie
24th August 2005, 01:58
Hi All!

Just joined tha site which I found by a link from "Rhiw.com" which I found by accident.
I'm slowly finding my way around and will maybe get to know some of you, at least by email comments etc, in due course.
I havent got a maritime background, but I'm interested in ships and have been since I used to watch the Blue Funnel ships and others calling here at Holyhead to pick up a pilot to go onward to Liverpool. (I even watched the M.V Caroline call here too one morning) My Father once worked for Cunard, I think it was on the Sylvania, not sure.
I now work for H.M. Coastguard.

Best wishes

Coastie

Coastie
24th August 2005, 01:59
Dunno why they've given me this flag beside my name????????

R58484956
24th August 2005, 12:35
Coastie, I had same flag next to my name, before I got it changed to the British flag.
Tell Admin.

fredkinghorn
1st September 2005, 18:45
Isle of Scalpay is part of the Western Isles of Scotland. A beautiful island with a wonderful bridge connecting to the Isle of Harris.

Click on Google Earth and you will find it.

fred.

fredkinghorn
1st September 2005, 18:49
Hi Cal,
nice to see you. I left the MN before you joined but have been on Scalpay quite a few times.
My brother's brother-in law lives at Kyles Scalpay, John McDonald, his neice Carol and her husband will be up there on Saturday 3rd.

marsat2
3rd September 2005, 10:18
Do you think you could add the following to the list: South American Saint Line,
Athel Tankers, and Buries Marks. I'm surely not the only survivor from those companies that managed to become computer capable. Thank you.

R58484956
3rd September 2005, 19:50
Welcome haggis to the site enjoy all it has to offer.

PETRAN
11th September 2005, 15:29
Greeting to all of you
I just joined to this site witch adress i found at the Ship's monthly magazine.I am from Greece and I live in Athens. I was a seaman from 1975 to 1990.I am looking forward for nice company

thunderd
11th September 2005, 15:45
Greeting to all of you
I just joined to this site witch adress i found at the Ship's monthly magazine.I am from Greece and I live in Athens. I was a seaman from 1975 to 1990.I am looking forward for nice company
Petran welcome to the site I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it. After all these years at sea I'm sure you have some good photos to show us and some good stories to tell.

R58484956
11th September 2005, 16:06
Welcome to the site Petran, enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Alan Tearle
23rd September 2005, 19:41
Hello to all.
I found your site while doing a regular search for the Good Hope Castle on Google - I must have missed it in the past.
I was on the GHC in '72-'73 as an engineer cadet (or Gadget) and was on the trip when we had the fire of Ascention Island on 29th June '73, so I'm sure that you can guess what my main interest will be.

Looking forward to some long evenongs browsing the site.

Alan

ruud
23rd September 2005, 19:59
Ahoy Alan,

Yep we've understand, here a little story about her, hope it is the one you mentioned.

Built: 1965 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend.
Tonnage: 10, 538g, 4, 235n;
Engines: Twin Screw, 2 x 8 Cylinder Sulzers RD90's, 34, 729 BHP, 22.5 Knots.
Crew 60
Launched 16th February 1965, Completed 9th December 1965.

As her sister she far exceeded the speed required for the 11.5 day voyage stipulation, her completion was delayed by over three months but her arrival reduced the mail sailings from eight ships to seven. Like her sister she underwent the addition of passenger accommodation at Cammell Lairds in October of 1967. On the 29th of June 1973 she suffered a major fire in the Engine Room which required the ship to be abandoned, the Liberian Tanker George F. Getty landed her survivors at Ascension. The Tug Albatros towed her to Antwerp arriving on the 18th of August, later she was towed by Heros to Bilbao to the yard of Astilleros Espanoles for repairs. She sailed from Bilbao for Southampton on the 19th of May 1974 and on the 31st of May re-entered service. She was sold along with her sister to Costa Armatori SpA of Genoa, renamed Franca C and was still in service in 1989.
http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/3994/goodhopecastle20ps.th.jpg (http://img286.imageshack.us/my.php?image=goodhopecastle20ps.jpg)

The George F Getty that rescued the crew

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2810/georgefgetty7jk.th.jpg (http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=georgefgetty7jk.jpg)
Ps. Haven't sailed on her(Gleam)

R58484956
23rd September 2005, 20:04
Welcome Alan to the site, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity.
I was a 3rd on the old Good Hope Castle, covered the decks with oil one night while transferring from deep to ready use, forgot what we doing as we were busy talking.
PS The photo above is the one I sailed on, you were on the later one.

Alan Tearle
23rd September 2005, 20:16
Quite right Ruud it was the ship that you refer to, however, your thumbnail shows the first GHC which was scrapped in 1959 when I was 6!

Alan

ruud
23rd September 2005, 21:14
Ahoy Alan,
Sorry for that,I'll try another one(*))
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6497/goodhopecastle1jpg8pa.th.jpg (http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=goodhopecastle1jpg8pa.jpg)
I don't believe this is the one your looking for,but I will later look for the "good" , hopefuly.I'm getting confused with all those names/ships, you can see we're getting older each day:)

wa002f0328
23rd September 2005, 21:42
Hello Steve
Please could you include " King Line" London, thanks for fantastic site, cheers wa002f0328

oldbosun
23rd September 2005, 21:44
The top picture is the Good Hope Castle that I sailed AB in the early 50s.

Heavy on deck, that's how I remember those class ships. I was also on "Beaverburn" that was identical class ship.

I am pretty sure that P & O had a couple too, as did Royal Mail, Ben Line and others.

The newer Good Hope Castle is pictured here in the topic, (the one in Union Castle colors) but what is the ship in the photo below 'my' Good Hope Castle? That appears to be a bulk carrier. Is she a 3rd Good Hope Castle? I'm confused!

Alan Tearle
23rd September 2005, 22:10
The top picture is the Good Hope Castle that I sailed AB in the early 50s.

Heavy on deck, that's how I remember those class ships. I was also on "Beaverburn" that was identical class ship.

I am pretty sure that P & O had a couple too, as did Royal Mail, Ben Line and others.

The newer Good Hope Castle is pictured here in the topic, (the one in Union Castle colors) but what is the ship in the photo below 'my' Good Hope Castle? That appears to be a bulk carrier. Is she a 3rd Good Hope Castle? I'm confused!

That other ship is the tanker George F Getty which as ruud reminded me was the ship which picked up the survivors from the GHC after the fire in '73. I hope this ends your confusion.

Alan

oldbosun
24th September 2005, 01:07
Thanks Alan. It's all clear now. Best wishes............Peter

Butters
10th November 2005, 03:05
Have been meaning to join for some time and now have got around to it .
As a former third generation seafarer in NZ , before swallowing the anchor in 1980 to continue in a management role in Stevedoring. I have always been interested in all things to do with shipping , so this will be a good forum to keep me going.

Steve
10th November 2005, 08:47
Welcome butters.

Doug Rogers
10th November 2005, 08:55
Welcome aboard Butters, enjoy the site and the membership.

flyer682
10th November 2005, 09:19
Welcome aboard, Lindsay. A name well known in NZ shipping circles! Enjoy the site and all we have to offer.

R58484956
10th November 2005, 12:22
Welcome Butters to Sn, the site for nautical minded people, enjoy it as much as wedo.

danube4
10th November 2005, 12:47
Oldbosun. Thanks for pointing out the Good Hope Castle, and the Beaverburn and Beaverford were Identical. I've had pic's of these for 50 years and never noticed. Barney.

Old Wilf
10th November 2005, 16:39
Like others new to the site I am having a bit of a problem getting around and I don't think it's due to my/our age; this is meant for the say hello thread but if it isn't there, sorry! but Hello anyway.

I am now an old greybeard (nearly 60) but with a lifelong interest in the sea and sailing ships. I always wanted to do more with ships but always got sidetracked by having to earn a living! Now live inland (Hertfordshire in UK) and only occasionally get to the coast; best times were living in Sunderland (1965-72 and Aberdeen (before oil, late 1964 to early 1965).

I have connections to the sea through both sides of my family and won't start telling the storys here as they do go on a bit.

ruud
10th November 2005, 19:17
Ahoy Old Wilf & Butters,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

Doug Rogers
11th November 2005, 06:16
Welcome Old Wilf, enjoy the site and look forward to a few posts when you find your way around.

R58484956
11th November 2005, 13:42
Welcome Hamish to the sea/ship lovers site, enjoy all it has to offer and the banter that goes with it.

sea_serenade
28th November 2005, 08:48
Hello to all!!!

I seek information about a greek ferry. The name is CERDIC FERRY / IGOUMENITSA EXPRESS / ORESTES.

If Anybody knows something about, mail me.

Thanks!!!!

ruud
28th November 2005, 09:04
Ahoy Sea Serenade,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

Here a link to your ferry, but it's in Swedish and in English:

http://faktaomfartyg.com/cerdic_ferry_1961.htm

http://members.lycos.nl/hanshu/Orestes.htm

R58484956
28th November 2005, 14:32
Welcome sea_serenade to the ship lovers nautical site, enjoy all it has to offer.

bobby388
15th December 2005, 03:04
hi steve only been on the site a few days absolutly superb,but ive been welcoming new members on board am i being big headed or is that in order (bobby lochrie)

thunderd
15th December 2005, 03:40
hi steve only been on the site a few days absolutly superb,but ive been welcoming new members on board am i being big headed or is that in order (bobby lochrie)

Bobby, one of the many great things about this site is the cordial welcome all new members get so you are not being big headed, you are entering into the spirit of the site, please continue.

Richard H
26th December 2005, 11:09
Hello everyone,
Looks like a good site, Just back from my first visit to the Falklands and Cape Horn (did you know that its an island?) hope to post some pics shortly.
Cheers!

R58484956
26th December 2005, 12:28
Welcome Richard to SN enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Yes Cabo Hornos as the locals call it, is an island with a rather nice monument to the albatros and the only thing worth a photo down there,apart from the scenery of course.

mr_motard
11th January 2006, 01:59
hello gentlemen

R58484956
11th January 2006, 15:25
Welcome mr_motard to the site enjoy all it has to offer and a happy new year to you.

sailor63
27th January 2006, 18:17
Hi Steve, hope your not stuck on the Monkey Island, bit nippy to-day,lol. Thanks for the welcome, i did my bit from 1963 to 1970, and loved just about every minute, if it had,nt been for Containerisation, i,d be there still i reckon. But who wants to take 4 weeks getting to OZ only to turn around in a couple of days? sod that. Good luck with the site, bet it grows + grows, cheers for now, Colin Knight, aka sailor 63.

sperm whale
29th January 2006, 19:17
Hello to all ex Ellerman & Bucknal personnel

alan williams
1st February 2006, 18:45
Hello lads i too am a rookie
all you fellers with your posh shipping lines. my only experiance of merchant shipping was when i was 16 which was in 1957 i went to the docks in NEWPORT S/WALES.the ship was SS SUNRISE.
asked the chief if they had any jobs. he only had cabin boy so O.K. she was a 5000 ton general cargo and sailed under a costa recan flag,we sailed the next day,apart from the officers i was the only white person on board,after going back and for the USA. i joined the ROYAL NAVY in APRIL 1958-1965. looking forward to chatting to you all i will be a bit slow to start, but hay. ALAN (BUNGY )WILLIAMS.

R58484956
1st February 2006, 19:01
Welcome Alan To The Site Enjoy It And All It Has To Offer.

Koen
2nd February 2006, 11:33
Hello, I am still an active seaman, but crazy about ships. very interesting site!

R58484956
2nd February 2006, 11:44
Welcome Koen to the site from a cold south of England (0c), enjoy all it has to offer.

Rod Matheson
2nd February 2006, 16:28
Hi everyone. Just found this site today, so had to register. Just working my way round it at the moment to get a hang of whats hot and what its about, so far, very impressed, look forward to many pleasant hours of browsing etc.
Rod

R58484956
2nd February 2006, 16:32
Welcome Rod to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity. Most of us left the sea years ago but our minds are still there.

ruud
2nd February 2006, 16:33
Ahoy Koen & Rod & Alan,

From a cold/windy and hail Holland[Brabant]

R58484956
2nd February 2006, 16:52
Welcome Rod to the site enjoy it and all it to offer.

Anson6423
13th February 2006, 19:26
Hi Everyone.

My name is Andy Pope (Logged in as Anson6423) My interest in ships comes from my father, who was an Officer in the Royal Navy and from my Father in law, John Feltham.

I am the Membership Secretary for the Royal Hospital School Association which is for the former pupils of the Royal Hospital School which at one time had the nick name of "The Cradle of the Navy" because all boys who attended the school had to join the Royal Navy or Royal Marines on leaving, as long as they were fit enough.

Some great photos on this site and many interesting facts.

Yours Aye

carpenter
17th February 2006, 12:48
hallo all. I don't know if this is the right place, because don't know exactly how to navigate this site, here I am anyway.
Iam a retired merchant seaman, started the job in the merchant navy when the Dead Sea was just unwell, since joined on one of the last cargo carrying sailing ship, then in a coal burning steamer and doing many various jobs on board the ships and on shore like a jack of all trade. The last ship was modern ro.ro with no real crew aboard and the vessel herself reminded more a giant wheelbarrow than a real ship.

jim barnes
17th February 2006, 13:07
Welcome carpenter, great to read your profile sound a bit of a carecter to me look forward to some tales you can no doubt tell, you will find your way about here i am certain of that, good luck ship mate (Thumb) (Hippy)

ruud
17th February 2006, 16:18
Ahoy Carpenter,

From Holland

Note: You must have a lot of stories to share with us,reading your profile, so have a go for it.
"toivottaa tervetulleeksi"

b.robinson460
18th February 2006, 20:57
I am 71, not salt, brother was 2nd officer, sunk 1942, tanker "Reliance". Just thought that even after such a long time maybe someone knew of her, he was John Eric Robinson just turned 18, his pal was Malinson, lives in Canada, I think but can't be around now, "can he"

vraghavans
19th February 2006, 12:10
hi this is vijayaraghavan iam from india and am sailing .ths is an excellent site .
keep posting

ENJOY !!!!!!!! (Applause)

R58484956
19th February 2006, 12:58
Welcome vijayaraghavan to the site from the south of England, enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

Snowlings19
20th February 2006, 20:24
Hello. Just registered, Ship Photographer from the East Coast of England, hopefully will have plenty of pictures to add to the galleries

Galley Boy
20th February 2006, 20:49
Hello. Just registered, Ship Photographer from the East Coast of England, hopefully will have plenty of pictures to add to the galleries

Welcome Snowlings19,great site with lots of interesting members and photographs,not many East coast Merseys (Applause)

Knut
23rd February 2006, 19:48
As a new member I don`t know what`s being discussed and can`t join in the discussion. Must find my way around the ship first!
Brgds, Knut.

Gerrit
24th February 2006, 11:54
Hello, I am Gerrit the Feber from the Netherlands my hobby's am archery and and everything with shipping what to do has.

R58484956
24th February 2006, 14:02
Welcome gerrit to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

R58484956
24th February 2006, 14:03
Welcome knut to the site from south of England enjoy it and all it has to offer.

notam76
28th February 2006, 11:41
hello everybody ! friendships from France !

R58484956
28th February 2006, 12:22
Welcome to cassim and haggis29 to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

tonybutler
14th March 2006, 18:29
I served my apprenticeship with Thos & Jno Brocklebanks in 1951 to 1954 after training for two years on HMS Conway. I had to leave the sea after that due to eyesight problems and served for 22 years in the RAF as a radio technician and spent much of my service time teaching apprentices at RAF Locking [now sadly closed down].
Since retiring to Cornwall I have pursued my interests in the sea and shipping, particularly the ships of the 30's, 40's and 50's. It is such a shame that shipping nowadays all looks alike [in the same ways that cars do (*)) ].

robyneb
23rd March 2006, 18:12
Hello everyone! This site seems awesome. I am researching the ship that my grandfather was on in WW2.

Gulpers
24th March 2006, 15:44
Hi Robyneb,
Welcome to the site and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
Once you have had a good look around the site, post some details of the vessel you are looking for in the "Ship Research" Forum. You never know your luck, someone may be able to help you. (Thumb)

alan williams
10th April 2006, 18:58
Wellcome to all our new members

billyboy
12th April 2006, 09:43
welcom aboard the happy ship to all our new mwmbers from the Philippines. hope you all enjoy the wonders of this site as much as we all do.
P.S. spare berths available on the virtual voyage lads