Ships Monthly DVD

sturge
18th February 2009, 12:50
Have you seen the Ships Monthly DVD with the latest issue? It's got some pretty good archive footage of some of the greats. Love to hear what you think about it...

fred henderson
18th February 2009, 16:32
I think that there is some splendidly re-mastered archive footage on this disk, but it is a pity that some of the commentary is so incorrect. For example it is wrongly stated that Nelson Line got into financial difficulties in 1931 and was taken over by Royal Mail Line. Whereas in fact Nelson Line was taken over by Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1913 and the Highland ships shown in the DVD were among the large number of Kylsant Motor Ships built in the 1920s/early 30s. It was Lord Kylsantís Royal Mail group that got into difficulties in 1931 and Royal Mail Line was formed to take over all of the group companies operating to the East coast of South America.

Fred (Thumb)

DAVIDJM
21st February 2009, 20:31
Just viewed and enjoyed the DVD with scenes now well and truly gone, and it makes you want to go to sea again.

Snowbow’s website is interesting and a lot to you can purchase, which I plan to do as soon as I find the piggy bank

Pompeyfan
25th February 2009, 11:03
Yes, Des Cox of Snowbow has done a grand job putting these videos and DVDs together. He himself sailed on NZ Shipping I think. People send him footage etc, so it is possible that some commentary could be incorrect as Fred states, but it is a mighty task putting all this stuff together. Des also arranges voyages of discovery aboard Discovery as some members may know giving lectures.

David

R58484956
25th February 2009, 11:28
Greetings Sturge and a warm welcome to SN. Thanks for the info. Bon voyage.

rivet
26th February 2009, 16:50
ships monthlydvd
i haven't seen the dvd in question, but i have got the full series from Snowbow. I know Des personally, he often talks about the difficulty of getting all the facts right all the time. The task is huge as is the cost, he also has many problems with fake copies being sold. I like many others have contributed old film to the cause and seen the way he has restored it to make it presentable. Projects like this are a labour of love and we should all be gratefull for his time and effort that enables us to relive the happiest days of our lives in the comfort of our armchairs. The only things missing are the girls. Whatever happened to Port Line Gaynor, Fat Betty, or the Black Widow.
Oops the wife has just come in.
Rivet

Pompeyfan
26th February 2009, 22:09
Quite right Rivet, I know Des personally as well. I once sent him the old steam whistle sound of Canberra which he used.

The DVD come with each copy of the March edition of Ships Monthly with Des explaining how they are put together on the last page.

David