Silver Line Ltd, London

Pages : [1] 2

litavan
15th August 2005, 07:09
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Would like to have some information on their ships if possible, pictures etc..

Ex Silver Line myself, any old ship mates still around, please get in touch.

Vaughan Williams...

(Ex Fleetwood Nautical College)..

TromboneJones
18th March 2007, 20:51
Hi

I did my time with Silver Line - Deck Cadet to 2nd Mate.

I'm Pete Jones - was at Cardiff (Reardon Smith's) Nautical College. I left about 1979 ish.

Cheers

Gulpers
18th March 2007, 21:06
Pete,

A warm welcome back to the site from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

bobby388
19th March 2007, 03:23
Hi Vaughan i was 2nd eng silver falcon 1968.best company i ever sailed with(arnt you capt if i mind right)think shipspotting or one of those sites i have a pic in gallery of falcon
Bobby(Glasgow)
ps sorry never read your profile first see you were capt.

maverick
10th July 2007, 13:22
\ i vaughan.i sailed with s/l prior to emigrating to aussie in 1967.i spent 6
happy years sailing on the following vessels between 1961/1967. mv.silverpoint
jnr eng.mv silverweir 4th eng. mv. silversand 3rd eng.the following web site
miramarship index.org.nz will be able to fill any details on most vessels and
what happen to them . also in gallery phots.there is one of mv. silverweir.taken
in corpus cristi. i am deeply indebted to a member mr. dave edge for information
on above web site.does the name ernie gill ch/eng ring a bell from hull/york.
have a great day regards maverick/

anthony lear
10th July 2007, 16:31
i have about 20 photos of various silver line ships.
let me know which particular one(s) you want and I'll see if I have them

Motorman
11th July 2007, 04:57
Hello
I was with Silver Line 72 - 75 as Jun Eng on Silvercove & Silvermain then 4/E on Silvershore, does anyone have any photos of the Cove or remember sailing with me. Good company and good crowd of blokes
Motorman (Niall Carr)

trotterdotpom
11th July 2007, 11:36
Anyone remember Ian Davidson, probably 4th or 3rd Engineer with Silver Line, from Middlesbrough, previously with Ben Line (1970s-80s0)?

John T.

Malcolm Frost
12th July 2007, 20:19
Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.

potty
27th July 2007, 00:58
Hi there,I didn't sail in Silver Line but I sailed with you in Buries Markes (Twice).I know a boat yard owner up here on the Clyde who sailed with them and then walked away in disgust when they were sold,such was his commitment to them!!

Owen Nolan
27th July 2007, 02:43
I was in the Silver Crag in the early sixties ,i am from M/bro i have been in N/Z since the late sixties,sailing as a/b ,but now retired, i enjoyed both countries ships and crews.

ccurtis1
3rd September 2007, 21:41
first ship at sea, silver sand followed by silver crag. c/e's len dewar, ted greenway, bob roberts, one lunged old soak from teesside whom i cant recall,and the unforgettable matty jack. 2/e's,the dreadful denis barker,big john doyle(ex military policeman), and freddie johnson. hank otter did his first trip with silver line aboard the crag, and his altercation with matty jack in vittoria (geordies bar) merited a mention in the guinness book of all time great pugilist contests, with the gloves removed. went back to silver line years later, on 'alice redfield, argo clyde, taabo, carchester, arapaho, then several 'V' ships managed ships. for the best part, great times.

ccurtis1
3rd September 2007, 21:45
just recalled the teesside old soak. alfy crowther. one other great old c/e was jack waites from british west hartlepool.

ccurtis1
5th September 2007, 19:56
Come on you old Silver Liners. There are lots of people whom we sailed with who are cworth a comment. Cap Ronnie Safe (the only Master serving with the MN who had a certificate to say that he was sane!!!!, his words) C/E Albert Trotter, Cap Don Troop (was he ever sober?) Albert RN the Chief Steward, Tommy Wilson, another chief steward, Billy Graham, no not that Billy Graham, this one an engineer. lets get this up and running

tunatownshipwreck
5th September 2007, 22:10
I'm not a Silver Line alumnus, but I'd like to know when Silver Line started crewing with Mainland Chinese crews. Certainly by 1968/1969, when I noticed them.

j.d.robinson
5th September 2007, 22:34
Silversea had mainland Chinese crew in 1966. Silverweir had Indian crew in 1968, but carried 3 H.K. juniors. Imet one much later in Aussie, he was Lloyds surveyor

J.D.Robinson

tunatownshipwreck
6th September 2007, 01:34
Interesting.
Silverweir visited my port (Astoria, Oregon) in Feb 1968, I think it had a Chinese crew then, but I'm not sure about that. I can most assuredly say that the Silversea in Oct 1968 and the Silverbeach in Jan 1969 both had Chinese crews when they called. The Silverdon called twice in 1976, my foggy memory is of an all-UK crew, but I won't lay money on that.

j.d.robinson
6th September 2007, 22:10
according to my discharge book, I joined Silverweir 25.9.67. in Avonmouth and left 1.6.68. in Montreal. We did stay one night in Astoria before going up to Kalama ( not sure about spelling, anyway Red Indian place) to load grain for India. She definitely had Indian crew. Master was Capt. N. Tuddenham of unlamented memory. Silversea and Silverbeach were car carriers and had Mainland China crews.

j.d.robinson

tunatownshipwreck
7th September 2007, 00:38
Thank you for helping me straighten out my memory.

Tonypep
27th November 2007, 01:03
I sailed on the Silvershore most of 1972, anchored at Falmouth for 3weeks during the dock strike. Had rowing competitions etc with the other iron ore wagons to pass the time.Also on the Silvereagle 1973 for the usual couple of months in the Baltic then headed south to Huelva,Santos,Buenos Aires etc, think it was first time the ship had been in warm water, The old man was Barmy Burfitt, good trip and good company....

WilliamH
2nd December 2007, 18:03
For Malcolm Frost
I sailed with who I think was Hank Otter on Chealsea Bridge in early 70's, the one I am thinking of was Dutch, he had bits of his ear missing, said it had been shot off during the war, I never understood if it was the German Army or the Dutch Police that did it. He said he had left Holland at the end of the war and stayed away( or was shanghied) for a number of years. He kept some boxing gloves in his desk draw, he said they were for any body who compained about the food. I found him to be a good guy to sail with.

trotterdotpom
3rd December 2007, 06:52
William H., there is a bit more about Chelsea Bridge on the site, under "Iron Sirius" and maybe "Sigsilver", if you're interested.

John T.

Shipbuilder
10th December 2007, 20:53
I sailed with Silver Line on demise of Union-Castle, spent three fairly happy years with them. Only thing I didn't like was having to fly out & home. Have never been as uncomfortable in a ship as I was in flying machines especially on long hauls such as out to Manila or back from Yokohama.
First SILVERDON messing about in the Pacfic. Some good shipmates Capts Forth & Smith, C/O Eddie Macatear, C/Stwd Roger Northcote, 2/0 Basim Balal.
Next stood by tanker ALGOL in Cammell lairds for several months & sailed in her for 6 months. Dreadful boring time lightering off Galveston. More good shipmates Capt Morgan, Mike Smith C/O, Alan Younger 2/0, Simon Telford 3/0,
C/Stwds Hank Otter & Adrian Cooper again.
Finally SILVERAVON (Later BANDAMA). Three more excellent captains here as well, Tuddenham, Tester & Robinson. Also C/0 Steve Last, Elect Dave Webster (with whom I sailed between 1978 & 1990 on SILVERAVON/BANDAMA & both RMS ST. HELENAs). C/Stwds Bill Beamson & Adrian Cooper again. & not forgetting our amaibale chief engineers the late Les Wynne & Rama Ramakrishna & 2nd engineer Colin Warburton.
At then end of that time, I went back into passenger ships in the old ST. HELENA & remained there until leaving the sea in late 1992.
Regards
Bob Wilson (Ex R/0)

Malcolm Frost
11th December 2007, 13:52
Thanks
Sounds like Hank, he also had a false eye,
his party pease (rude joke).
Good boss,never to be crossed.
Malcolm.

Geoff of Hull
12th December 2007, 18:01
I am presently sailing with an old Silverline electrician Dave Bucknall ? he is just about to retire in fact I believe he has 3 weeks to go..
If anyone knows him etc and wants to pass anything on will oblige.
Incidentally I joined the Sealion tankers sometime back when quite a lot of the guys followed Mr Barraclough to sail in them.

TromboneJones
11th January 2008, 01:03
Goodness - some names from the past there,

Bob - I sailed with you several times when I was a cadet and later 3/O. Used to have a picture of you skin diving in the lakes at Panama. You might remember me diving from the side (90+ feet!).

Matty Jack - the name rings a bell, but I do remember some vague stories.

Sailed with Capts. Tester and Younger.

Remember my first trip as a cadet on the Silvershore with Billy (Chippy) Gardner, Crawford was old man, I think. Tony Stankiewicz was the handyman (Stan the Man).

More names and memories, please, coz my memory is hopeless!!

Pete

TromboneJones
11th January 2008, 01:11
Vaughan - I think we sailed together as cadets! Couldn't tell you on which ships, though. If I remember correctly, we were about the same height (not tall!) and both with dark hair and a 'tache.

If it is who I am thinking of - I have a photo somewhere of us messing about in the ship's pool.

Was the 3/E John Beers and his gorgeous wife Cherie on that trip?

Pete

ccurtis1
12th January 2008, 22:41
Anyone remember Ray Lutton,ex Silver Line Eng cadet. He sends regards to Dave Bucknall. Ray is now with large cruise ships as senior third engineer. He sailed on Forth, Main, Clyde, Algol and Arapaho from cadet ,until redundancy, when he was 4th Eng. He sends regards to all his old colleagues. Some other names to conjure with:- Cap Riddell, Cap Troop, Cap Safe, Cap Ron Hill, C/Os Mike Lazonby, Gavin Brown, Tony Attwood, Paul Malone, Paul Wakeling, C/Es
Albert Trotter, George Ferdinand, Bob Ronald, Alfy Robinson, 2/Es Dave Whitter, Dave Arrowsmith, Joe Townes, 2/Os Bob Nigg, Dave Gammons, 3/Es Tony (Prince of darkness) Blackwood and Angus Mather. Elects, Dave Bucknall, Ricky Webb and Carlos Villalanda. C/Ss Peter Smallwood and Tommy Wilson. So many more great lads to sail with and sad to say I can't recall them but I sailed with all of those mentioned and with one notable exception, they were all top guys. I'll leave you to work out the odd one out.

Seamark
25th April 2008, 17:01
first ship at sea, silver sand followed by silver crag. c/e's len dewar, ted greenway, bob roberts, one lunged old soak from teesside whom i cant recall,and the unforgettable matty jack. 2/e's,the dreadful denis barker,big john doyle(ex military policeman), and freddie johnson. hank otter did his first trip with silver line aboard the crag, and his altercation with matty jack in vittoria (geordies bar) merited a mention in the guinness book of all time great pugilist contests, with the gloves removed. went back to silver line years later, on 'alice redfield, argo clyde, taabo, carchester, arapaho, then several 'V' ships managed ships. for the best part, great times.

'The one lunged old soak from Teeside' was Alf Crowther. I believe he was also challenged in the number of kidneys a bloke is meant to have. His great claim was that he had a letter from his Doctor stating that he should only visit the engine room in case of emergencies. It is not recorded whether he told his Doctor he was a Chief Engineer.
Such an emergency occured with a scavange fire in the Channel. He was reportedly on the engine room plates, smoking a fag and re-assuring the Captain (Duke) who had ventured below when there was a tremendous crash following the dropping of the e/room skylights which resulted in Alf finding he was speaking to himself and Duke halway out of the e/room.

I remember Rob Roberts for his urbane manner with women - which didn't always work in Cardiff.

I have only limited recollections of Ted Greenway but recall him as an unusual individual in that he was a thoroughly decent individual and a Chief Steward.

I was variously a snotty apprentice and third mate on the 'Silvercrag'.

Seamark
25th April 2008, 17:19
Silversea had mainland Chinese crew in 1966. Silverweir had Indian crew in 1968, but carried 3 H.K. juniors. Imet one much later in Aussie, he was Lloyds surveyor

J.D.Robinson

Indian crew in 1965/6.

First Silver Line ship with Indian crew and all aft accomodation - the aroma was unforgettable, the currys marvellous.

lochie
29th April 2008, 15:24
I was with Silver Line from 1971 to 1983. Ican recall many of the names above especially Hank Otter who was CS when I was Chief Cook. Also Tom Wilson who was Cook when I was 2nd cook.I did my first trip on the Silvereagle with Billy Gardner who was Bosun and was a great guy with some terrific stories. Some skippers who come to mind are Bev Dyke and Norman Evans who were very fair minded with everyone.

trevor page
29th April 2008, 16:04
Joined Silvermain at the builders , Uljanic at Pula, March 1970, did a trip out to USA and Japan, then a short time on the Silverosprey then another on the Silvermain. Just loved Japan. Trevor.

Dave Wilson
29th April 2008, 16:18
Capts Johnny Walker & Whitelaw. Anyone remember?

lochie
29th April 2008, 18:00
I was on the silvermain in 72 running from the states to Japan with grain and backloading cars in nagoya for Baton Rouge. No wonder I was skint after six months on that trip!!

robbie 1954
18th May 2008, 20:03
Did 3 trips on the Silverclyde from 1977 onwards. The went onto the Eden Bridge and then the Spey Bridge. Silverclyde was fun and I enjoyed it. The other 2 did not impress.

johnembo
14th June 2008, 22:18
Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.

Hi Malcolm
I sailed with Hank several times on the Alva ships and Stat 55s. He was a great guy ,first class chief steward and great fun to be with.

Kaituo
10th July 2008, 03:23
I sailed with Harry Whitelaw on the Sand, Aldersgate, Tower Bridge and Weir and got my first Mates job when Harry was promoted Master of the Tower bridge in Vancouver in '67. Last saw him in Blyth in 1973 when he was Skipper on the Standby Boat 'Dorinda' working Ekofisk. He was still living in N'Shields at that time.

I was Mate on the Weir for the last year she sailed with Silver Line before being sold to Greeks as 'Agios Antonios'. Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master and Len Dewar was Chief Engr. We had Indian Crew but no HK Chinese Junior Engrs thats for sure.
On the last trip Baltimore to Sunderland we had a Full House of Greeks + Silver Line crew including the new Owner Andreas Nicolaeios........who spent most of his time counting the cutlery.
The ship was handed over in Greenwells Dockyard, Sunderland.

Seem to recall we had Indian crew on the Tower Bridge as well. At that time we were trading between Canada and North China ( Shanghai and Tanggu ) so for sure we did not have Chinese crews........All the other Silver Line ships I sailed on had Brit crews with Arab firemen .

Silver Line ( Dene Shipping ) was an excellent outfit and I still have the Silver Line tie which we were supposed to wear when visiting the Office in Bishopsgate !

DaveS0606
8th August 2008, 21:00
I sailed with Harry Whitelaw on the Sand, Aldersgate, Tower Bridge and Weir and got my first Mates job when Harry was promoted Master of the Tower bridge in Vancouver in '67. Last saw him in Blyth in 1973 when he was Skipper on the Standby Boat 'Dorinda' working Ekofisk. He was still living in N'Shields at that time.

I was Mate on the Weir for the last year she sailed with Silver Line before being sold to Greeks as 'Agios Antonios'. Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master and Len Dewar was Chief Engr. We had Indian Crew but no HK Chinese Junior Engrs thats for sure.
On the last trip Baltimore to Sunderland we had a Full House of Greeks + Silver Line crew including the new Owner Andreas Nicolaeios........who spent most of his time counting the cutlery.
The ship was handed over in Greenwells Dockyard, Sunderland.

Seem to recall we had Indian crew on the Tower Bridge as well. At that time we were trading between Canada and North China ( Shanghai and Tanggu ) so for sure we did not have Chinese crews........All the other Silver Line ships I sailed on had Brit crews with Arab firemen .

Silver Line ( Dene Shipping ) was an excellent outfit and I still have the Silver Line tie which we were supposed to wear when visiting the Office in Bishopsgate !

You mention "Harry Whitelaw relieved Chivers as Master ". Was this G. F. Chivers who was a Silverline Master during WWII and until his retirement.

G.F.Chivers MBE was my Uncle and we were both T.S.Mercury 'Old Boys'. I am trying to establish details of his service with the SilverLine. At the end of the war he married and American girl and made his home in the U.S.A so that his family this side of the pond had very few details. He had one son who is also very interested in his fathers MN history.

PS I never went to sea. However that's another story.

ccurtis1
10th August 2008, 13:55
Re Silverclyde.
Robbie 1954, are you sure you found the "Clyde" fun?? I was 2/E when she was handed over to Greek owners in Karachi and I found her anything but fun.
She must have been the only vessel to experience "bump starting" of a main engine, and the "tie breaking" system for the shaft alternators was something else. The cranes, and I use that term guardedly were from another planet. The ER skylights were permanently off because it was impossible to breathe in the engine room with them on. To quote Cap Tuddenham she was an accident waiting to happen and that he was in command of a bomb. A great crowd of lads made up for the hardships, but they would agree, she wasn't fun

Rhodri Mawr
21st August 2008, 20:52
One Silver Line ship not yet mentioned - Silverleaf.

I sailed as RO on her in 1967-68. Joined in Greenwell's Drydock in Sunderland, left in Hull. Voyage was from Sunderland to New Orleans (Destrehan) to load grain for Navlakhi (India). Thereafter, visited karachi, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Philadelphia then Hull.

A very happy ship but the old grey cells are failing a little. The only names I can remember were: Dai Bowen - Master. Mr Sydney - CO, Ian Harrison - 2/O, Dave Fielden - 3/O. Chief STeward was the much mentioned Hank Otter. Mr Dewar - CE. Mr Small - Leckie. One of the deck cadets was Neil (forget his surname) but was from Hull.

Was sorry to leave that ship. Great voyage.

RM

ccurtis1
22nd August 2008, 12:36
One Silver Line ship not yet mentioned - Silverleaf.

I sailed as RO on her in 1967-68. Joined in Greenwell's Drydock in Sunderland, left in Hull. Voyage was from Sunderland to New Orleans (Destrehan) to load grain for Navlakhi (India). Thereafter, visited karachi, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Philadelphia then Hull.

A very happy ship but the old grey cells are failing a little. The only names I can remember were: Dai Bowen - Master. Mr Sydney - CO, Ian Harrison - 2/O, Dave Fielden - 3/O. Chief STeward was the much mentioned Hank Otter. Mr Dewar - CE. Mr Small - Leckie. One of the deck cadets was Neil (forget his surname) but was from Hull.

Was sorry to leave that ship. Great voyage.

RM
Was the Silverleaf one of the first Silverline ships with a shaft generator? If my memory serves me correctly, she had a 55" Sunderland Forge dc shaft generator.
Was the C/O Bob Sydney from Darlington? Was Ian Harrison as quiet a young man as he was when older? Captain Hill always referred to Ian as "Smile awhile". I was C/E with Ian when he was in command of the managed "Carchester". Len Dewar was the C/E and Hank Otter the C/S on the Silvercrag on my first voyage in 1964. Capt. Hopkins was the Master

Rhodri Mawr
22nd August 2008, 18:04
Was the Silverleaf one of the first Silverline ships with a shaft generator? If my memory serves me correctly, she had a 55" Sunderland Forge dc shaft generator.
Was the C/O Bob Sydney from Darlington? Was Ian Harrison as quiet a young man as he was when older? Captain Hill always referred to Ian as "Smile awhile". I was C/E with Ian when he was in command of the managed "Carchester". Len Dewar was the C/E and Hank Otter the C/S on the Silvercrag on my first voyage in 1964. Capt. Hopkins was the Master

Couldn't say about the shaft generator. It is now too far in the past.

The CO was Bob Sydney but not sure where he hailed from. Your description of Ian Harrison as a "quiet young man" sounds about right. I remember him as very softly spoken.

The deck cadet I referred to in my original post was Neil Nifton. There were three other deck cadets - Ti Ali from Iraq (but was living in UK). another was named Paul but cannot remember the surname but I can still picture him.

There were also 2 engineer cadets. One had the surname Carr (cannot remember his first name). The other I have no idea of his name except that he was Welsh.

Rgds
RM

ccurtis1
22nd August 2008, 20:32
Couldn't say about the shaft generator. It is now too far in the past.

The CO was Bob Sydney but not sure where he hailed from. Your description of Ian Harrison as a "quiet young man" sounds about right. I remember him as very softly spoken.

The deck cadet I referred to in my original post was Neil Nifton. There were three other deck cadets - Ti Ali from Iraq (but was living in UK). another was named Paul but cannot remember the surname but I can still picture him.

There were also 2 engineer cadets. One had the surname Carr (cannot remember his first name). The other I have no idea of his name except that he was Welsh.

Rgds
RM

Bob Sydney went on to command and a great bloke he was. Ti Ali, was Tariq Mohammad Ali Attaturk and I believe he was the grandson of President Attaturk of Iraq. He was on Silversand in 1964 along with another Iraqi cadet who if memory serves me correctly, was the son of the owner of a very large Baghdad Hotel. Considering Iraqs recent history, I often wonder what happened to those two lads
Regards

Brian Locking
22nd August 2008, 21:44
If it the two Iraqi's I knew they both ended up as Tug Masters working for ADPPOC in the UAE. Ti died of a heart attack in the late 80s and the other lived in Cork and to my knowledge is still around.

Vince Gorny
28th August 2008, 22:02
Good Evening One & All!

Can't say as I remember any of you chaps that have left messages here - but certainly recall some of the 'characters' that some of you have mentioned!

No doubt many of you Silver Line chaps will remember some of the names I'm going to mention here too!

Just looking through my Discharge Book now - joined "Silvercove" in Singapore in October, 1975 - left a month later in Hamburg - booked signed by the "Grocer" - no doubt long gone, but an absolute Gentleman by the name of Johnny Mcateer. One of the first Ships through Suez when it re-opened in 1975 - and got War-Bonus for going through!

Then "Silverclyde" in Birkenhead - December, 1975 - with Don Troup as the Old Man - who paid off in Cristobal - and relieved by none other that "Tuddy" Tuddenham! The Mate was Tony Green, who I became very good friends with - and who unfortunately passed away two years ago - God Bless him! I'm afraid good old Tony's fondness for 'The Famouse Grouse' was the end of him!

We did B'head, Corpus Christi, Panama, Japan, then returned to Baltimore where I left, prior to her going to the Great Lakes.

Joined 'Silver Eirik' at Kiel for the run to Europoort - Gdansk - Old Man was one Arthur Lowden! Geordie chap - very pleasant fellow, who used to go home loaded down to the gun'ls with "swag" from the Ship - radios, anything he could lay his hands on! And another - one Tommy Kirkpatrick! There's a name that no doubt many will remember???? Remeber the Mate at that time was Tony Burton, who lives in Wells or Glastonbury - and Bev Dyke, who relieved him, became the Old Man on the 'Altanin' - and got shot up in the Shat-Al-Arab - and abandoned the Ship there - in the company of John Snow (now Channel 4 News) - and the rest of the Officers and Crew!

Ended my Silver Line Days on the "Alva Sea" - Mike Guy being the Old man, who was at my wedding, 26 years ago, and with whom I still keep in touch. And the next Old Man being Jimmy Wyness who took over from Mike when he left the Ship in Ancona.

Good days - anyone remember the wonderful Miss Sally Smithers as she was then? Captain Corneius and one 'Ginger' Moxley in Personnel???

Amazing how it all comes back to you - more than 30 years ago too!

Kind Regards to anyone who recalls me!

Vince.

ccurtis1
29th August 2008, 00:03
Don Troupe another just a little too fond of the wee goldies. He was master on Taabo with Albert Trotter the C/E. Cap Troupe was relieved by Ronnie Safe who professed to having a certificate stating that he was sane. So sorry to hear of Tony Green, a sad loss. Wasn't it Jim Moxley in personnel and wasn't Steve Pile in personnel about that time too. Jim Punton was in the office about that time and left to join the ill fated "Gulf East" You are correct Vince, good days indeed

Malcolm Metcalf
29th August 2008, 01:43
I joined my first ship the 'Sand in 1959 as a deck cadet and followed it with the Fell, Weir(Maiden Voy) and the Brooke. Then they paid me really money when I joined the Crag as a 3rd mate in 63 I believe, Totem Queen ( later the 'Sea) , Aldersgate, Cove, Sand ( again) Cove again. There has to be more and I better look around for my Dischargebook. Any way i quit as C/O in 1972 and emigrated to Vancouver and married a Nurse from St Pauls Hospital.

There's a few of us ex Silver Line guys out here. Dick Chappell , Derrick Sinclair, Roy Harrison, Paul Lewis, Andy Bradley, Also ran in to an electrician from the Cove one day Pete, can't remember his name. One guy from the office Mike Jekyll.

Read through the rogues gallery i see quiet a few names I recognised.

Mike Smith was out here with his wife a couple of years ago and we had a couple of meals. Met Eddy Skinner in the office, no sign of Mary. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson, from Pill Somerset!! ( pilots in the Britol Channel)

Harry Whitelaw was the oldman on the Silersea when we had him on charter once and Dia Bowen came in to Vancouver a number of years ago and we had lunch. Oh yes Mel Crawford was on a ship we chartered one.

That's the best I can recall

Electrician Dave Bucknall, tell him I should have cracked him when i had the chance (Thumb)

ccurtis1
29th August 2008, 12:27
I joined my first ship the 'Sand in 1959 as a deck cadet and followed it with the Fell, Weir(Maiden Voy) and the Brooke. Then they paid me really money when I joined the Crag as a 3rd mate in 63 I believe, Totem Queen ( later the 'Sea) , Aldersgate, Cove, Sand ( again) Cove again. There has to be more and I better look around for my Dischargebook. Any way i quit as C/O in 1972 and emigrated to Vancouver and married a Nurse from St Pauls Hospital.

There's a few of us ex Silver Line guys out here. Dick Chappell , Derrick Sinclair, Roy Harrison, Andy Bradley, Also ran in to an electrician from the Cove one day Pete, can't remember his name. One guy from the office Mike Jekyll.

Read through the rogues gallery i see quiet a few names I recognised.

Mike Smith was out here with his wife a couple of years ago and we had a couple of meals. Met Eddy Skinner in the office, no sign of Mary. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson, from Pill Somerset!! ( pilots in the Britol Channel)

Harry Whitelaw was the oldman on the Silersea when we had him on charter once and Dia Bowen came in to Vancouver a number of years ago and we had lunch. Oh yes Mel Crawford was on a ship we chartered one.

That's the best I can recall

Electrician Buchanan, tell him I should have cracked him when i had the chance (Thumb)

Ever come across Gavin Brown in Vancouver. Gavin was mate on the "Arapaho" and I think was a Silver Line Cadet, He married a Canadian girl and migrated to Vancouver, and I last heard he commanded a ferry out of that city.
Regards

eldersuk
30th August 2008, 00:11
Purely by coincidence in connection with another project I have just received a (Rather poor) picture of the SILVER LAUREL which was torpedoed and sunk 18th December 1944.

tunatownshipwreck
30th August 2008, 00:22
Purely by coincidence in connection with another project I have just received a (Rather poor) picture of the SILVER LAUREL which was torpedoed and sunk 18th December 1944.

Quite a nice design for the time.

maritiem
30th August 2008, 10:34
Short History and Flletlist Silver Line.
Source: Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. III, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1992 and Miramar Shipindex.

The brothers Stanley and John Thompson formed a partmership in 1908 to act as managing owners of the St. Helens Steam Shipping Co., London with the SILVERBIRCH which was employed tramping. Other ships were purchased and in 1913 they entered into a contract with America-Levant Line to operate transatlantic services. This contract ran until 1930. In the 1920s, the company began managing ships for the Kerr SS Co., New York and operated a round the world service jointly with Prince Line. In 1930 Silver Line came to an agreement with the Java Pacific fleets of Rotterdamsche Lloyd and the Stoomvaart Maatschappij Nederland and their combined fleets took the name of Silver Java Pacific Co.

The company lost 11 ships during the second world war and in 1947 the management changed from the Thompson family to the Barraclough family. Under the new management, the company changed their policy from liner services to cargo and tramping work and their modern passenger / cargo liners were sold. In 1957 Silver Line became a fully owned subsidiary of Dene Line Ltd and took their funnel colours. Silver Line Ltd joined the Seabridge consortium in 1965 together with Hunting, Bibby, Bowring, Clarkson and Houlder Lines and operated bulk carriers. Silver Chemical Tankers Ltd was also set up in 1965 to operate in the coastal chemical and oil trades.
In 1971 Silver Line Ltd was acquired by Navcot (Shipping) Holdings Ltd but by 1982 were down to two bulk carriers and some small chemical tankers. Their last ship was sold to Panamanian owners in 1985.

Vessel Built Builder Years in Service Tons
Silverash (1) 1904 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland Ex Farringford, 1912 purchased from Charlton & Thompson Ltd, Sunderland, renamed Silverash, 6.10.1915 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.33 east of Malta on voyage Barry - Madras. 3,753
Silverash (2) 1918 Wm Hamilton & Co Ltd, Port Glasgow Ex Ardgowan, 1923 purchased from Lang & Fulton Ltd, Greenock renamed Silverash, 1925 sold to West Hartlepool S.N. Co. renamed Aspleyhall, 1932 sold to Continental Indies Shipping Co, Nova Scotia renamed Ezra, 1934 sold to Jugoslavenska Plovidba, Jugoslavia renamed Labud, 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.32 of Fastnet. 5,334
Silverash (3) 1926 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 1955 sold to N.V. Koninklijke Java-China Paketvaart Lijnen, Amsterdam renamed Tjisondari, 1957 scrapped at Hongkong. 5,299
Silveravon 1977 Mitsubishi H.I., Hiroshima 1978 transferred to Silverdee Shipping Ltd, London renamed Bandama, 1985 sold renamed Enarxis, 1988 sold renamed Trade Grace, 1994 sold renamed Golden Grace, 1998 sold renamed Santa Suria. 10,815
Silveray 1925 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 4.2.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.751 in position 43.54N 64.16W on voyage Liverpool - Halifax - New York with the loss of 8 lives. 4,535
Silverbeach 1962 Constructions Navales & Industrielles de la Mediterranee, La Seyne Ore Carrier, ex Norse Coral, ex Totem Star, 1964 purchased from Fulcrum Shipping Co. renamed Silverbeach, 1973 sold to Yick Fung Shipping Ltd, Somalia renamed Aegean Sea, 1986 scrapped. 11,276
Silverbeck 1960 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland 1965 sold to Jugoslavenska Oceanska Plovidba, Kotor, Yugoslavia renamed Durmitor, 1979 sold renamed Aspyr, 1982 sold renamed Ceylan Sailor, 1984 scrapped. 9,542
Silverbeech 1926 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 28.3.1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.172 in position 25.30N 15.55W on voyage Liverpool – Lagos with the loss of 62 lives. 5,311
Silverbelle 1927 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 22.9.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.68 in position 25.45N 24.00W on voyage Durban - Freetown – Liverpool with no loss of life. 5,302
Silverbirch (1) 1905 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland Ex Wearmouth, 1911 purchased from Evan, Thompson & Co., London renamed Silverbirch, 1914 sold to A & A Callinicos, Ithaca renamed Salamis, 10.12.1916 captured by submarine and scuttled 3 days later. 3,638
Silverbirch (2) 1920 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland Ex Stonewall, 1923 purchased from Garland Steamship Corp, New York renamed Silverbirch, 1924 sold to West Hartlepool S.N. Co. renamed Ardenhall, 1936 sold to Kilvey Shipping Co, Swansea renamed Cefnbryn, 1936 sold to Jugoslavenska Plovidba, Jugoslavia renamed Caleb, 1939 sold to Norway renamed Vest, 1950 sold same name, 1951 renamed Siredal, 1954 sold same name, 1956 renamed Regulus, 1959 sold to Bowring & Curry, Germany renamed Ruth, 1959 scrapped. 5,073
Silverbriar 1948 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 1952 sold to Cunard Line renamed Andria, 1963 sold to Taiwan, renamed Union Faith, 1969 lost by fire off New Orleans. 7,242
Silverbrook 1953 Smith's Dock Co., Southbank Tanker, 1963 sold to Olnedo Cia Nav, Greece renamed Manegina II, 1966 scrapped at Valencia. 11,276
Silverburn 1953 Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool 1958 sold to Scindia S.N. Co., Bombay renamed Jalamani, 1969 sold to Tolani Private Ltd, India renamed Prabhu Satram, 1976 scrapped at Bombay. 5,023
Silvercape 1967 Namura Shipbuilding Co, Osaka 1972 sold to Livatho Maritime Corp, Greece renamed Eftychia, 1977 sold renamed Krishnaraja, 1985 scrapped. 12,669
Silvercedar (1) 1907 R. Craggs & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough Ex Fitzpatrick, 1913 purchased from Burrell & Son, Glasgow renamed Silvercedar, 1916 sold to Brantingham S.S. Co., Newcastle renamed Norma Pratt, 16.3.1917 War loss. 4,416
Silvercedar (2) 1924 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland 15.10.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.553 in position 55.36N 29.57W on voyage Sydney N.S to Liverpool with the loss of 22 lives. 4,351
Silvercedar (3) 1943 Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland Launched as Melvil Dewey, completed as Samsacola built for the U.S. War Shipping Administration and bare boat chartered to the Ministry of War Transport, 1947 purchased from Ministry of Transport, London, renamed Silvercedar, 1949 sold to W. Thomson & Co., Edinburgh (Ben Line), renamed Benwyvis, 1955 sold to Rio del Castro Cia Armadora S.A., Liberia renamed Linda, 1959 sold to District Shipping Co. S.A., Liberia renamed Agia Irene, 1961 transferred to Greek registry, 1965 sold to Transocean Navigation Corporation, Liberia renamed Angelina, 1967 caught fire off Madras, salvaged and declared CTL. 7,176
Silverclyde 1970 Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Greenock Ex Baknes, 1974 purchased from Nile SS Co. (J & J Denholm), London renamed Silverclyde, 1979 sold to Argo Shipping (Jersey) Ltd renamed Argo Clyde, 1988 sold renamed Fidelity Trust, 1989 sold renamed Tong Yee, 1993 scrapped at Shanghai. 11,523
Silvercove 1967 Namura Shipbuilding Co, Osaka 1978 sold to Fillia Enterprises, Greece renamed Mina, 1985 Amina, 1987 scrapped. 12,843
Silvercrag 1958 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ore Carrier, 1970 sold to J. Jacobs Ltd, renamed Cherrywood, 1980 sold renamed Rio Victory, 1980 sold renamed Annbelle E, 1982 scrapped. 10,887
Silvercypress 1930 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast 13.1.1937 beached on fire on Guimaras Island on voyage New York - Manila - Shanghai - Hong Kong, towed to Manila and sold to Japanese shipbreakers. 1939 repaired and sold to Kawasaki Kisen K.K., Kobe renamed Yasukawa Maru, 2.11.1944 bombed and sunk. 6,770
Silverdale 1952 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Tanker, 1962 sold to Andina Cia Nav, Greece renamed Ithaki, 1967 sold renamed Millspirit, 1969 scrapped at Hong Kong. 11,289
Silverdene 1956 J. Crown & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1960 sold to Nigerian National Line, Lagos renamed El Kanemi, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 5,657
Silverdon 1973 Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Greenock Launched as Bravenes but completed as Silverdon, 1977 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., China renamed Fei Cui Hai, 7.2.1998 foundered. 22,906
Silvereagle 1970 Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd, Birkenhead 1981 sold to Yau Fook Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Yau Fook, 1986 sold renamed Xipoint, 1988 sold renamed Sulong, 1988 wrecked and declared total loss. 4,039
Silvereid 1969 Hall, Russell, Port Glasgow 1975 sold to Wm. Brandts (Leasing), Ltd renamed Eloiseid, 1981 scrapped. 1,596
Silverelm 1924 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland 1946 sold to Hans Fr.Grann, Oslo renamed Grado, 1951 sold to E. Rickertsen renamed Kolonius, 1960 scrapped at Osaka. 4,351
Silverfalcon 1966 Lodose Varf, Lodose 1980 sold to Altanin Shipping Co. not renamed, 1988 sold renamed Sandpiper, 1992 renamed Silverfalcon, 1994 sold renamed Didi, 1996 sold renamed Ferman Silver, 24.4.1998 wrecked and later scrapped. 1,310
Silverfell 1957 J. Crown & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1963 sold to Corporacion Peruana de Vapores, Callao, Peru renamed Rio Santa, 1970 Petunia, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,843
Silverfir 1924 Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland 16.3.1941 sunk by German battleship GNEISENAU or SCHARNHORST in position 43.40N 43.57W on voyage Manchester - New York. 4,347
Silverfjord 1972 Uljanik, Pula 1983 sold to Integrity Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Chung Shing, 1987 Silverfjord. 20,747
Silverforce 1957 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1964 sold to Scindia S.N. Co., Bombay renamed Jalagouri, 1981 sold to Jai Doot Shipping Ltd, India renamed Jaldoot Ashok, 1983 scrapped. 8,058
Silverforth 1969 Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Ex Bellnes, 1974 purchased from H. Clarkson & Co., London renamed Silverforth, 1978 sold to Cordoba Shipping Co., Greece renamed Albaforth, 1982 sold renamed Kaptan Yusuf Kalkavan, 1986 scrapped. 11,198
Silverguava 1927 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1952 sold to Fratelli Grimaldi, Naples renamed Orsa, 1964 deleted from Register. 5,294
Silverharrier 1970 Hall, Russell, Port Glasgow 1980 sold to Univan Ship Management, Hong Kong renamed Kyrgo, 1981 sold renamed Batu. 1989 sold renamed Deniz Ay. 4,622
Silverhawk 1969 Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd, Birkenhead 1985 sold to Sea Cheer Investment Trust, Panama renamed Philchem, 1988 sold renamed Stainless Duke, 1997 scrapped at Aliaga. 6,771
Silverhazel 1927 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 9.11.1935 wrecked San Bernadino Island, Philippines on voyage Vancouver - Bombay. 5,302
Silverhow 1965 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ore Carrier, 1965 renamed Tower Bridge, 1970 sold to A/S Ivarans Rederi, Norway renamed Sneholt, 1974 sold renamed Providence, 1980 sold renamed Gen. M. Makleff, 1987 sold renamed Enera, 1988 scrapped. 22,367
Silverisle 1960 J. Crown & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1965 sold to Metcalfe Shipping Co., West Hartlepool renamed Industria, 1974 sold renamec Al Faraj, 1980 sold renamed Annajm, 1983 scrapped. 7,744
Silverkestrel 1965 Ekerats, Norrkoping 1975 sold to Broadbray Ltd renamed Carrick Kestrel, 1987 sold renamed Goldcrest, 1992 Silverkestrel, 1994 Goldcrest, 1998 sold renamed SW Runner, 2004 scrapped. 497
Silverkite 1976 Kalmar Varv A/B, Kalmar Ex Cora, 1979 purchased from Kalmar Varv A/B, Sweden renamed Silverkite, 1982 sold to Westtank Marine Ltd, Singapore renamed Westlake, 1985 sold renamed Giulia Berlingieri, 1989 Jacqueline, 1989 sold renamed Chemical Voyager, 1991 Jacqueline, 1994 Ermes, 2003 Hermes, 2005 scrapped at Alang. 1,599
Silverlake 1958 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 1964 sold to Scindia S.N. Co., Bombay renamed Jalaganga, 1979 scrapped. 8,058
Silverlarch 1924 Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle 1947 sold to Angfartygs A/B Bore, Abo, Finland renamed Bore VIII, 1958 scrapped. 5,122
Silverlaurel 1939 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 18.12.1944 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.486 in position 50.07N 04.40W on voyage Duala - Falmouth – Hull with no loss of life. 6,142
Silverleaf 1963 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland Ore Carrier, 1968 sold to Marcomando Cia Nav S.A, Panama (Greek flag) renamed Pleias, 1981 sold renamed Spyros G, 1985 scrapped. 10,736
Silvermain 1970 Uljanik, Pula 1982 sold to Lacido Shipping Ltd, Hong Kong renamed Shirogane, 1990 sold renamed Silver Spirit, 1994 sold renamed Eurobulker II, 2002 scrapped at Alang. 18,799
Silvermaple (1) 1927 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland 26.2.1944 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.66 in position 04.44N 03.20W on voyage Bathurst – Takoradi with the loss of 6 lives. 5,302
Silvermaple (2) 1945 Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland Ex Colorado Springs Victory built for the U.S. War Shipping Administration and bare boat chartered to the Ministry of War Transport, 1947 purchased Ministry of Transport, London, renamed Silvermaple, 1952 sold to Borges Rederi A/s, Tonsberg, Norway renamed Sun Karen, 1953 rebuilt to 8,141 g.t. bulk ore carrier, 1963 sold to Concord Navigation Coirp, Liberia renamed Concordia, 1970 scrapped in Taiwan. 7,469
Silvermerlin 1968 Lodose Varf, Lodose 1980 sold to Altanin Shipping.Co. not renamed, 1988 sold renamed Sandmartin, 1992 Silvermerlin, 1994 sold renamed Arun, 1996 sold renamed Ferman Gold, 2001 scrapped at Aliaga. 1,259
Silverness 1977 Mitsubishi H.I., Hiroshima 1978 transferred to Silverdee Shipping Ltd, London renamed Taabo, 1985 sold renamed Agios Andreas, 1989 sold renamed Mostween 5, 1993 renamed Napier Star, 1994 renamed Mostween 5, 1994 sold renamed Rallia, . 10,815
Silveroak 1944 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 1955 chartered to Port Line renamed Port Stephens, 1956 sold to W. Thomson & Co. Edinburgh (Ben Line), renamed Benvannoch, 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,487
Silverosprey 1970 Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd, Birkenhead 1985 sold to Bellestrand Enterprises, Hong Kong renamed Crazy Horse, 1984 sold renamed Iran Pasdar. 4,039
Silverpalm 1929 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 9.6.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.101 in position 51.00N 26.00W on voyage Calcutta - Freetown – Glasgow with the loss of 68 lives. 6,373
Silverpelerin 1973 Krögerwerft GmbH, Rendsburg 1980 sold to Amar Line, Saudi Arabia renamed Al Khlood, 1980 renamed Arctic Tar, 1995 sold renamed Arctic Star, 1998 sold renamed Tamar, 2003 sold renamed Tamar I, 2003 sold renamed Alfaw, 2008 scrapped at Gadani Beach 4,474
Silverpine 1924 Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle 5.12.1940 torpedoed and sunk by Italian submarine ARGO in position 54.14N 18.08W on voyage Liverpool - New York with the loss of 35 lives. 5,122
Silverplane 1948 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 1951 sold to Cunard Line renamed Alsatia, 1963 sold to Taiwan, renamed Union Freedom, 1977 scrapped. 7,242
Silverpoint 1957 Bartram & Sons Ltd., Sunderland 1965 sold to Atlanska Plovidba, Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia renamed Hercegovina, 1976 sold renamed Ilok, 1980 sold renamed Myrtos, 1982 scrapped. 8,833
Silversand 1958 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ore Carrier, 1969 sold to Bishopsgate Shipping Co. 1974 sold to Cia Alecos, Greece renamed Alecos15.9.1975 wrecked at Tarifa. 10,887
Silversandal 1930 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast 1954 sold to Moller Line (UK) Ltd, London renamed Blyth Trader, 1958 laid up, 1960 scrapped at Hong Kong. 6,770
Silversea (1) 1963 Constructions Navales & Industrielles de la Mediterranee, La Seyne Ore Carrier, ex Totem Queen, 1964 purchased from Fulcrum Shipping Co. renamed Silversea, 1973 sold to Yick Fung Shipping Ltd, Somalia renamed Coral Sea, 1977 sold renamed New Coral Sea, 1986 scrapped. 11,276
Silversea (2) 1967 Moss Vaerft, Moss Ex Columbus, 1979 purchased from I/S Langskip, Norway renamed Silversea, 1983 sold to Barlee Marine Corp, Panama renamed Bargas, 1993 sold renamed Carigas, . 2,759
Silvershore 1960 J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland Ore Carrier, ex Aldersgate, 1969 purchased from Bishopsgate Shipping Co. renamed Silvershore, 1975 sold to Coralstone Shipping Corp, Liberia renamed Puerto Madryn, 1977 sold renamed Danube, 1984 scrapped. 12,718
Silversky 1967 Moss Vaerft, Moss Ex Marco Polo, 1967 purchased from I/S Langskip, Norway renamed Silversky, 1983 sold to Barlee Marine Corp, Panama renamed Leegas, 1986 scrapped. 2,758
Silvertarn 1947 Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool Ex Riodene, 1951 transferred from Dene Shipping Co. renamed Silvertarn, 1954 sold to Bharat Line, Bombay renamed Bharatbhushan, 4.1.1970 wrecked. 4,882
Silverteak 1930 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast 1954 sold to Cie de Navegacion del Plata S.A, Panama renamed Gardigan, 1960 scrapped. 6,770
Silvertweed 1970 Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Greenock Ex Binsnes, 1974 purchased from H. Clarkson & Co., London renamed Silvertweed, 1979 sold to Argo Shipping (Jersey) Ltd renamed Argo Tweed, 1982 sold renamed Dennis Carrier, 1985 scrapped. 11,824
Silverwalnut 1930 Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast 1954 sold to Cie de Navegacion del Plata S.A, Panama renamed Samundar, 1960 scrapped at Osaka. 6,770
Silverweir 1961 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 1969 sold to Saerdna Shipping Co., Greece renamed Agios Antonios, 18.10.1973 aground at Coondapor and lost. 10,895
Silverwillow 1930 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 30.10.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.409 in position 35.08N 16.44W on voyage Lagos - Freetown – Liverpool with the loss of 6 lives. 6,373
Silveryew 1930 J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland 30.5 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.106 in position 16.42N 25.29W on voyage Calcutta - Capetown - Oban – London with the loss of 1 life. 6,373
Silver Bridge 1972 Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Uraga 1979 sold to North American Transportation Associates renamed Cast Gull, 1986 sold renamed Goldstar, 1989 sold renamed Yugometal, 1992 Bulk Star, 1994 Iolcos Flame, 1997 scrapped at Chittagong. 79,316
Tower Bridge See Silverhow.

Henk Jungerius

Bill Davies
30th August 2008, 13:03
Do any of you Silver Line men remember Johnny Walker??
A true gentlrmen.

ChathamChavs
1st September 2008, 19:55
I sailed on the Silverdon 1-9-77 to 13-2-78 . Handed over to the new Chinese owners in Rotterdam . Spey Bridge 16-5-78 to 25-7-78 , 29-5-80 to 10-11-80 and 7-3-81 to 15-7-81 , Seto Bridge/Arapaho- 28-9-88 to 1-2-79 .I was there for the name change in Singapore (Dec 78) Also 20-5-79 to 11-8-79 and 21-12-79 to 30- 6-80 , Erskine Bridge 10-9-81 to 26-1-82, and finally Almak 9-4-82 to 9-8-82.Then made redundant . Also did a prolonged drydock on the Silvereagle in Rotterdam in 1979 - 23-10-79 to 4-12-79 -as my wifes first trip ,this was baptism by fire !!

jmcg
3rd September 2008, 22:07
CCURTIS1
Post 46

Sailed with Captain Ronnie Safe on Binsnes (Jebsens). A fine chap who didn't suffer fools gladly. Came through the ranks and never forgot it either.

One of the old school.

BW

J

ccurtis1
4th September 2008, 21:32
I too sailed with Ronnie Safe several times. I was 2/E on the "Argo Clyde" ex Binsnes or Baknes, I cannot just recall and "Taabo" ex Silverness (or Silveravon, again, memory) and I was C/E with him for several voyages on the managed "Carchester". He could be quite difficult but was always a gentleman, arranging flowers to be delivered to joining wives. Ronnie and I became friends and it was sad to see at his funeral that there were only a handful of people attending and my wife and I the only ex colleagues

jmcg
5th September 2008, 13:41
I too sailed with Ronnie Safe several times. I was 2/E on the "Argo Clyde" ex Binsnes or Baknes, I cannot just recall and "Taabo" ex Silverness (or Silveravon, again, memory) and I was C/E with him for several voyages on the managed "Carchester". He could be quite difficult but was always a gentleman, arranging flowers to be delivered to joining wives. Ronnie and I became friends and it was sad to see at his funeral that there were only a handful of people attending and my wife and I the only ex colleagues

I was only with him for 7 months on Binsnes and would like to remember Ronnie as he was - a mans man.

Such a very sad end to his life. Will light a candle in his memory on Saturday.

Bw
J

Malcolm Metcalf
6th September 2008, 15:47
I was only with him for 7 months on Binsnes and would like to remember Ronnie as he was - a mans man.

Such a very sad end to his life. Will light a candle in his memory on Saturday.

Bw
J

How did he fall from his perch.I sailed with him with Ronnie is the late 60's. I don't know how he was with the engineers but with the Mate's he was pretty tough.

He used to have tape recorder in the top draw of his desk.:)

By the way, I understand why folks use alias on normal forums but isn't the whole concept here to regonise each other ?

K urgess
6th September 2008, 16:29
Welcome aboard Malcolm.
We're really quite a shy lot but it doesn't take long, alias or otherwise, to work out that you've sailed with someone.
Carry on exploring and you'll find people you recognise from their posts and ships.
Enjoy the rest of the trip.
Cheers
Kris

chris thompson195
22nd September 2008, 20:09
Hi

I did my time with Silver Line - Deck Cadet to 2nd Mate.

I'm Pete Jones - was at Cardiff (Reardon Smith's) Nautical College. I left about 1979 ish.

Cheers

Hi pete,If my memory serves me right you and john cochrane got tatts in Rotterdam while I chickened out,I still dont like pain! chris silverfjord.('72 and '73)

chris thompson195
22nd September 2008, 20:27
Come on you old Silver Liners. There are lots of people whom we sailed with who are cworth a comment. Cap Ronnie Safe (the only Master serving with the MN who had a certificate to say that he was sane!!!!, his words) C/E Albert Trotter, Cap Don Troop (was he ever sober?) Albert RN the Chief Steward, Tommy Wilson, another chief steward, Billy Graham, no not that Billy Graham, this one an engineer. lets get this up and running

there were so many characters,charlie leong who went beetroot red if you spiked his drink,a lovely guy though. I was told dont play cards with bob ronald or argue with matty jack,i did neither! yorky thompson, pete mangleshot, not strictly silver line but he seemed to be on every ship I joined! Sam the cook,was it billy gardener who was running up and down the deck at 3 in the morning when the mackems won the cup?Roy another bosun, but where was his butterfly tatt? Moorcroft the old man who lived near to dave buckland in cardiff.colin shelton who bent the line to cut my shoulder length hair,on one side only though.Ronnie nicholson, john wright,john cochrane,joe duffy and bob sharp,joe,bob and myself were followed around shanghai zoo by the locals, we were a novelty! and where else do you go to in shanghai.

ccurtis1
22nd September 2008, 21:35
there were so many characters,charlie leong who went beetroot red if you spiked his drink,a lovely guy though. I was told dont play cards with bob ronald or argue with matty jack,i did neither! yorky thompson, pete mangleshot, not strictly silver line but he seemed to be on every ship I joined! Sam the cook,was it billy gardener who was running up and down the deck at 3 in the morning when the mackems won the cup?Roy another bosun, but where was his butterfly tatt? Moorcroft the old man who lived near to dave buckland in cardiff.colin shelton who bent the line to cut my shoulder length hair,on one side only though.Ronnie nicholson, john wright,john cochrane,joe duffy and bob sharp,joe,bob and myself were followed around shanghai zoo by the locals, we were a novelty! and where else do you go to in shanghai.

My goodness, Charley Leong, theres a blast from the past. I last sailed with Charley, when I was C/E on the Arapaho. He was 3/E and Joe Townes the 2/E.
Another character to conjure with, Paul Malone and "Crackers Malarkey". I sailed with Matty Jack in the 60's on the Silvercrag, and met Bob Ronald on several occaisions. 2/e's Dave Whitter and Dave Arrowsmith and the well named "Prince of Darkness" 3/E Tony Blackwood, evoke good memories.

robbie 1954
27th September 2008, 19:34
Re Silverclyde.
Robbie 1954, are you sure you found the "Clyde" fun?? I was 2/E when she was handed over to Greek owners in Karachi and I found her anything but fun.
She must have been the only vessel to experience "bump starting" of a main engine, and the "tie breaking" system for the shaft alternators was something else. The cranes, and I use that term guardedly were from another planet. The ER skylights were permanently off because it was impossible to breathe in the engine room with them on. To quote Cap Tuddenham she was an accident waiting to happen and that he was in command of a bomb. A great crowd of lads made up for the hardships, but they would agree, she wasn't fun

I was being ironic!

chris thompson195
29th September 2008, 21:21
I was being ironic!

I could'nt agree more.
I was on the Clyde as the Baknes,I was never involved in pulling as many units at sea on any ship, other than maybe its sister the Tweed, those nightmare Paxman gennies still send shudders through me.
On a brighter note the ship did take me to Shanghai just as China began to open up in 1974 and the place that left an everlasting memory, Capetown.
As the 4/E I spent the afternoon taking on Bunkers in Capetown, a Saturday and 1/2 day closing, whilst the Toon played in the semi final of the cup (I think I spent 1/2 my time glued to the radio),then expected to get back to pay off for the final,2 weeks anchor at Sceczin in Poland put paid to that.

SEAEXPLORER
30th September 2008, 23:07
I was a nav cadet with Silver LIne in the mid 70s and sailed with them until 1989. Does anybody remember me the name is Tony Foster?

litavan
20th October 2008, 15:12
Gents,
Its been good to read your replies to my intial post, and several of you have reminded me of some of my old shipmates and ships of the past. It would be good to hear more from some of my old mates.
For what it is worth, below are the ships i sailed, starting 1976 and finishing in 1984.
Alva Star; Siverfjord, Spey Bridge, Sivereagle, Taabo, Eden Bridge, Carisle, Siverfalcon, Siverosprey, Siversky, Bandama, Algol (Fire 1982), Alva Sea and Almak.
Some of the ships, i sailed several times on them.
I'm very interested in hearing from any who sailed on the afore mentioned vessels.
Brgds.
Captain Vaughan Williams. MNI

chris thompson195
3rd November 2008, 00:36
Capts Johnny Walker & Whitelaw. Anyone remember?

Harry Whitelaw I am informed is still alive still living in North shields and still drinking in the Nautilus although not as often as he used to. A lad I work with,his ex in laws live next door to Harry,the mother used to dred Harry coming home,the father and Harry were permanently on the drink!!
cheers
chris

harrywhitelaw
9th November 2008, 15:52
I've just been reading comments posted on the Silverline site (using my son's computer) and have recognised many names from my colourful past!!!!
I'm long retired (coming up to the big 80), but my memory is still as sharp as a whisky and water. If anyone wants to pick my brains drop a reply.

WilliamH
9th November 2008, 17:43
Welcome aboard Harry, I joined the Chelsea Bridge as 2Engin Aioi, just after you had that escapade in Singapore, did you ever get the name of the ship that hit you. Ian Matherson is on this site I am sure will remember him.

jim.child
11th November 2008, 14:11
sailed on silverline chemical tankers 70 t0 79 pelerin,osprey,eagle,eid and alice redfield. osprey was lengthened to change gross tonnage from 4039.30 to 5112.41. the accommodation was also superberly upgradated. conversion was carried out by haphag lloyd at bremerhaven.

jim.child
11th November 2008, 15:15
I've just been reading comments posted on the Silverline site (using my son's computer) and have recognised many names from my colourful past!!!!
I'm long retired (coming up to the big 80), but my memory is still as sharp as a whisky and water. If anyone wants to pick my brains drop a reply.

I have heard your name from many silverline mates, john coyle original from south shields, which is where I live. I was on silver chemical tankers, albert trotter, yorkie thomason, lew burfitt [right now] rollo wakenham, norman evans, jim staines. Semi retired myself only work three months a year if the money is good feel free to contact me Iam in the local phone book just look under j. w.child.

Malcolm Metcalf
11th November 2008, 23:33

Hey Harry
how you doing, Malcolm Metcalf, 2 nd mate of the Aldersgate, along with C/O Charlie Forth and 3/0 Cherry Lewis.

Glad to hear you're doing well, I'm still in Vancouver, as is Cherry Lewis ! Often wonder what happens to all the BOT acquaintances I sailed with ! Beryle still doing well.

Take Care

MM

harrywhitelaw
12th November 2008, 11:33
Hey Harry
how you doing, Malcolm Metcalf, 2 nd mate of the Aldersgate, along with C/O Charlie Forth and 3/0 Cherry Lewis.

Glad to hear you're doing well, I'm still in Vancouver, as is Cherry Lewis ! Often wonder what happens to all the BOT acquaintances I sailed with ! Beryle still doing well.

Take Care

MM

Hi Malcolm
Good to hear from you, It's been a lot of years. Sad to say Beryl passed away in march of this year following a long illness. Would have been married 55 years this year.
Hope you are ok. Are you retired? I retired properly in 1995 when Beryl had her stroke. Whatever happened to Charlie Forth?
Looking through this site and reading the comments (which mention many names from the past) has bought back many memories most good, some bad!

Take care
Harry

Malcolm Metcalf
12th November 2008, 23:56
Hi Malcolm
Good to hear from you, It's been a lot of years. Sad to say Beryl passed away in march of this year following a long illness. Would have been married 55 years this year.
Hope you are ok. Are you retired? I retired properly in 1995 when Beryl had her stroke. Whatever happened to Charlie Forth?
Looking through this site and reading the comments (which mention many names from the past) has bought back many memories most good, some bad!

Take care
Harry

Yeah sure makes you think, as you say some good times and some not so good. Yeah I'm retired now, still in Vancouver. I occasionally get back to the UK, my son funny enough moved from Vancouver to England, Chelmsford so I attended his wedding over there last year. I had a drive down to Nth Shields, all the places I new have been demolished ( The Jungle LOL ) about the only thing that seems familiar is the N & S Shields Piers and the Groyne ( remember Johnny Walker nearly putting the 'Sand on the Groyne one trip. MN Hotel is now apartment, I went up to the S.Shields Marine & Tech and asked if they has an alumni, they asked ... what's that :-)

Mike Smith passed through Vancouver on his retirement trip around the World, wife in tow, so a little light on the beer :-) so Del and I took Mike out for supper.

Ex Silver Line guys Dick Chappell, Paul Lewis, Andy Bradley (3/E) live out here although I rarely see them Roy Harrison moved to Ontario.

Mel Crawford was Master on one of our ships for a while and Dia Bowen passed through some years ago, I had lunch with him. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson ( pilot in the Bristol Channel)

The one recurring memory of the Aldersgate in going through the Dover Straights with a coaster saying on the VHF he was on fire and we looked and looked but never did see him in the fog. I believe the the Dover RNLI found him eventually. We were on our way down to Rio and in a bit of a hurry. Man you could have a good time in Brazil in those days

Take Care
malcolm

harrywhitelaw
23rd November 2008, 16:01
Yeah sure makes you think, as you say some good times and some not so good. Yeah I'm retired now, still in Vancouver. I occasionally get back to the UK, my son funny enough moved from Vancouver to England, Chelmsford so I attended his wedding over there last year. I had a drive down to Nth Shields, all the places I new have been demolished ( The Jungle LOL ) about the only thing that seems familiar is the N & S Shields Piers and the Groyne ( remember Johnny Walker nearly putting the 'Sand on the Groyne one trip. MN Hotel is now apartment, I went up to the S.Shields Marine & Tech and asked if they has an alumni, they asked ... what's that :-)

Mike Smith passed through Vancouver on his retirement trip around the World, wife in tow, so a little light on the beer :-) so Del and I took Mike out for supper.

Ex Silver Line guys Dick Chappell, Paul Lewis, Andy Bradley (3/E) live out here although I rarely see them Roy Harrison moved to Ontario.

Mel Crawford was Master on one of our ships for a while and Dia Bowen passed through some years ago, I had lunch with him. I still exchange Xmas cards with Harry Lawson ( pilot in the Bristol Channel)

The one recurring memory of the Aldersgate in going through the Dover Straights with a coaster saying on the VHF he was on fire and we looked and looked but never did see him in the fog. I believe the the Dover RNLI found him eventually. We were on our way down to Rio and in a bit of a hurry. Man you could have a good time in Brazil in those days

Take Care
malcolm

Hi Malcolm
You've rattled my braincells and made me remember things I'd long forgotten! I remember many of the names you've mentioned. Do you remember Mal Virgee who sailed as second mate on the Aldersagate (Mike Smith was master and I was Chief Officer). I am in regular contact with him. He married an american girl and lives in active retirement in Los Angeles, following a long career as a ship's surveyor also in LA.
I sill enjoy a pint (or two ) down on North Shields fish Quay, watching the ships coming and going (Sad Aren't I).
When I eventually retired from "seagoing duties" I was lucky enough to get a job with Tyne Port Control before Beryl had her first minor stroke.
It would be nice if some of the names from the past got in touch via the email. I've seen Ian Matheson's name mentioned. Is he on this forum under a different name? He was chief officer with me on the Tower Bridge. I seem to remember getting well beaten of a Russian ship's crew in Vancouver and both crews getting well popped after the match, despite the fact they had a commisar watching over us and their stewardesses!

Take care (more memories are coming to mind already)

Harry

Paul_Bevan
28th November 2008, 16:48
Hi,
I joined Silver Line as Eng. Cadet in 1978. Did college time at Reardon Smith until 1980. Sailed on Taabo and Silverosprey and then back to college in South Shields for final year. Was made redundant in 1983 but if I had my time over would do it again.
Can't remember many shipmates names but Capt Don Troop was one on the Taabo and my 2nd Engineer was a chap called Tony Green from Newcastle. Had a third from Sunderland too, so many wind ups between them including gluing his flip flops to the deck outside his cabin after a long night in the bar. One of the funniest things I've seen was him trying to figure out (with a hangover) why he couldn't walk after putting them on.

ccurtis1
28th November 2008, 22:37
Hi,
I joined Silver Line as Eng. Cadet in 1978. Did college time at Reardon Smith until 1980. Sailed on Taabo and Silverosprey and then back to college in South Shields for final year. Was made redundant in 1983 but if I had my time over would do it again.
Can't remember many shipmates names but Capt Don Troop was one on the Taabo and my 2nd Engineer was a chap called Tony Green from Newcastle. Had a third from Sunderland too, so many wind ups between them including gluing his flip flops to the deck outside his cabin after a long night in the bar. One of the funniest things I've seen was him trying to figure out (with a hangover) why he couldn't walk after putting them on.

That 3rd Engineer wouldn't be Derek Bell? I was 2/E on the Taabo about that time, with Don Troop as the Old Man, Albert Trotter as the C/E, Paul Wakeling was C/O, the "Honey Monster" 2/O, Derek Bell 3/E and Peter Smalldon the PCS. I was on board when she changed to Ivorian crew and Christmas proved to be, shall we say, "trying". Did you study with Ulsterman Ray Lutton (engineer cadet) in Cardiff? Ray is senior 3/E (with a Chiefs ticket) on one of P&O's giant cruise ships

chris thompson195
5th December 2008, 20:51
I've just been surfing, there are some great photos of the fjord on shipspotting.com,these appear to be up to date ones, it looks as if the old girl is still going strong and looking in remarkably good nick.
If you look carefully on the photo of the bow shot you can still see the silver line badge beside the name, I wonder if my shifter is still in the bilges?
There are also a couple of pics of the Don,these are'nt so good but never the less....I tried several other names but no luck.

harrywhitelaw
14th December 2008, 16:05
I remember sailing on the Fjord as Master many years ago. A good ship with a gp English crew. Hank Otter was purser and the bosun was the late Tommy O'Halleron. Most of the crew at that time were from my neck of the woods, North Shields.
May I wish all my ex-shipmates who I served with in Silverline, a very Happy Xmas and a smashing New Year.

chris thompson195
14th December 2008, 22:52
I remember sailing on the Fjord as Master many years ago. A good ship with a gp English crew. Hank Otter was purser and the bosun was the late Tommy O'Halleron. Most of the crew at that time were from my neck of the woods, North Shields.
May I wish all my ex-shipmates who I served with in Silverline, a very Happy Xmas and a smashing New Year.

I was one of the J/Es with you, and with a load of others paid off in Corpus Christi. You had enjoyed a good celebration as the ship navigated the Mississippi to Baton Rouge if my memory serves me correctly and yes there always was loads of us Geordies.
May I also extend my best wishes to everyone for Xmas and the new year.
Cheers
Chris

Paul_Bevan
15th December 2008, 12:44
Yes the 3/E was Derek Bell. The C/E was an Indian chap but can't remember his name. The Chief Steward was Welsh if I remember with a Dutch wife. Great boat to have for first trip.

ccurtis1
15th December 2008, 15:19
Yes the 3/E was Derek Bell. The C/E was an Indian chap but can't remember his name. The Chief Steward was Welsh if I remember with a Dutch wife. Great boat to have for first trip.

I think the Chief Engineer would be "Gentleman" George Ferdinand and I think he was Sri Lankan. I know George sailed on the Taabo after Albert Trotter retired. I see Derek Bell quite regularly and he is on the North Sea rigs month and month about. You are correct, she was a very happy ship

Paul_Bevan
15th December 2008, 17:26
I think the Chief Engineer would be "Gentleman" George Ferdinand and I think he was Sri Lankan. I know George sailed on the Taabo after Albert Trotter retired. I see Derek Bell quite regularly and he is on the North Sea rigs month and month about. You are correct, she was a very happy ship

Yes it was George Ferdinand, liked cigars now from memory. Next time you see Derek ask him if he remembers his flip flops being super glued to the deck outside his cabin, plus the christmas present he gave to Tony Green who was a Geordie 2/E, ( a Sunderland FC Sports bag), which was swiftly thrown overboard.

Malcolm Metcalf
15th December 2008, 19:57

All the best to you Harry and any other ex ship mates out there, have a merry Xmas and a happy new year !

litavan
18th December 2008, 07:30
Hello, (Mr. CHATHAM CHAVS) it appears that you were on the Spey Bridge the same time as me? I had my wife with me during the trip 02/03/81 to 15/07/81, i was 3/0 at the time. My wife (at that time) left in Aruba as she was pregnant, i eventaully left in Amsterdam after injuring my leg up the Mississippi and having to hobble the rest of the time until arrival in Europe.
Vaughan Williams

litavan
18th December 2008, 07:41
I wish a Merry Xmas & New Year to all the "old" SILVERLINE shipmates around the world. Thank you for bringing back some many forgotten names from the past, safe sailing to all.

R58484956
18th December 2008, 11:17
To all you ex Silver Line people a Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

ChathamChavs
26th December 2008, 12:31
Hi Vaughan, yes myself and my wife Jan were with you and Karen on the Spey Bridge . Karen left from Bonaire not Aruba if our memory is correct .Believe there was a bit of ill feeling when the "tank cleaning bonus" was initially withheld up the Mississippi.Best wishes for the New Year. Roger and Jan

clonguish
24th January 2009, 23:34
Sailed 2 trips on the Main joining just b4 xmas 77 and again in 78 as 4/E, remember the KaMeWa prop so well and the dry dock in Japan that converted her to carrying Containers along with a sister ship call the Borgistad, same ship design Norweigan Crew, remember carrying Cars to the US, remember her as a good ship and good crew, flipino crew,remember working like hell to get her back to UMS and we did.

Roger Gerrey
20th February 2009, 17:04

Were you on the Taabo when the 2/0 went mental and was walking around on top of containers as they were being loaded. Don Ttoup was Old Man and I had my wife Chris on for some of the time. Bob Plimley was the R/O and became our daughters godfather. he joined Merseyside police and is now retired.

ccurtis1
20th February 2009, 21:11
Were you on the Taabo when the 2/0 went mental and was walking around on top of containers as they were being loaded. Don Ttoup was Old Man and I had my wife Chris on for some of the time. Bob Plimley was the R/O and became our daughters godfather. he joined Merseyside police and is now retired.

No Roger, although we did sail together on the Clyde, joining in Singapore along with Dave Gammons, Phil ??????? the RO and wife. The mate i think was either Tony Green or "Syd Vicious" Laurie Harding was the Chief Engineer.
I also think we sailed together on the Taabo and Don Troupe was the old man, relieved by Ronnie Safe. Paul Wakeling was the CO and Albert Trotter the CE. My wife Sandra recalls you well, but my memory aint what it used to be. Les Robertson, Alan Stoddart, Ray Lutton and Mike Gardener are other names to conjure with
Regards
Colin Curtis

David Williams
2nd March 2009, 18:47
Is there anybody out there who used to sail on the Silver Line ships in the 70's to 80's??

Vaughan Williams...

Hi litavan.
Dont know if this list contains your ships,but if you click on to
SSSTEAMSHIPS,then on to ships names starting with "Ss",you
will find about thirty odd ships starting with "Silver"something.
Hope you find what your looking for.

Dave Williams(R583900)

chris thompson195
3rd March 2009, 22:25
Hi litavan.
Dont know if this list contains your ships,but if you click on to
SSSTEAMSHIPS,then on to ships names starting with "Ss",you
will find about thirty odd ships starting with "Silver"something.
Hope you find what your looking for.

Dave Williams(R583900)

This website took a little bit of finding,or it did for me at any rate, and I dare say if they are'nt all there, from the seventies at least, then there is'nt many missing. As a bonus there are many from times gone by that I'm sure many of the more experienced of us(I hate to say the older ones) may remember(ash,laurel,willow etc).
The down side to this website is the photos are black and white, shipspotting.com offers colour photos,see one of my previous note further up this page.
all the best
Chris

Malcolm Metcalf
11th March 2009, 01:13
This website took a little bit of finding,or it did for me at any rate, and I dare say if they are'nt all there, from the seventies at least, then there is'nt many missing. As a bonus there are many from times gone by that I'm sure many of the more experienced of us(I hate to say the older ones) may remember(ash,laurel,willow etc).
The down side to this website is the photos are black and white, shipspotting.com offers colour photos,see one of my previous note further up this page.
all the best
Chris

I'm with you on locating that web site I can't find it period. I know at one time I found a number of Silver Lione ships, including the "Silverfell"...... can I find it again no chnace so if any one has the actuall web address I'd appreciate it

Cheers

chris thompson195
11th March 2009, 23:34
I'm with you on locating that web site I can't find it period. I know at one time I found a number of Silver Lione ships, including the "Silverfell"...... can I find it again no chnace so if any one has the actuall web address I'd appreciate it

Cheers

Hi Malcolm,it was harder to find second time around,however find it I did.
www.photoship.co.uk (type photoship in the google search)then look on,Browse the old ship galleries with thumbnails,this is the largest collection of photos I have seen on the net, the silver line ships are several pages in under S would you believe.
cheers

Chris

Kaituo
29th March 2009, 07:45
Hi Malcolm
You've rattled my braincells and made me remember things I'd long forgotten! I remember many of the names you've mentioned. Do you remember Mal Virgee who sailed as second mate on the Aldersagate (Mike Smith was master and I was Chief Officer). I am in regular contact with him. He married an american girl and lives in active retirement in Los Angeles, following a long career as a ship's surveyor also in LA.
I sill enjoy a pint (or two ) down on North Shields fish Quay, watching the ships coming and going (Sad Aren't I).
When I eventually retired from "seagoing duties" I was lucky enough to get a job with Tyne Port Control before Beryl had her first minor stroke.
It would be nice if some of the names from the past got in touch via the email. I've seen Ian Matheson's name mentioned. Is he on this forum under a different name? He was chief officer with me on the Tower Bridge. I seem to remember getting well beaten of a Russian ship's crew in Vancouver and both crews getting well popped after the match, despite the fact they had a commisar watching over us and their stewardesses!

Take care (more memories are coming to mind already)

Harry

Just got back to reading the Ship Nostalgia Forum after a few months shifting house to Malaysia from China...... and see that Silver Line now has a patch.
Great to hear that Harry's memory is better than mine, although I do remember the Russian episode in Vancouver and the Russian stewardesses were fascinated with the Tower Bridge swimming pool.......
I sailed with Harry on the Tower Bridge, Silverweir and Silversand and have some unforgettable moments from from runs ashore in places like Calcutta, Mauritius, Shanghai and Taku Bar or Tanggu ( where I lived years later ).
That was in the days when loading/discharge took weeks rather than hours.

I last saw Harry when he was Capt on the standby boat Dorinda in 1973.

Maybe I'm a bit late joining in on this thread but would like to hear from any of the Silver Line folks who served in the '60's.

Iain M

R651400
29th March 2009, 11:23
In 1949/50 Blue Funnel acquired three Silver Line ships from the stocks.
Silverholly, Silverelm, Silverlaurel to be renamed Ulysses, Teiresias and Teucer.
Never intended for the Far East service eg the radio office port hole looking directly inwards to the funnel.
I don't think up to the final Blue Funnel build was there ever better appointed crew's accommodation.

seejay
30th March 2009, 09:47
Only just found this website and I haven't laughed so much in ages - reading some of the names that brought back so many memories.
My first ship was the Fjord - I joined as 4th mate! (from RN) but soon got my 3/O's job as the incumbent (Mark "Lady" Hamilton) didn't quite live up to expectations.
Big John Tew (Cardiff) was the master, Dave Weaver was C/O, can't remember the
2/O's name but he was a Bristol Channel pilot doing some sea-time. Soon afterwards we had two cadets - Eric Deakins (Grimsby) - who now lives in NZ I believe and Jon' Marten-Hale who is now an airline pilot and lives Luton way.
Angus Mather (Gloucester shed) joined as Eng cadet and the 3 stewards (stoogies) Gordon(Capt's), Barry (Saloon with his bow tie) and "Squeaky" John (Duty mess) kept us amused!
The C/Eng was a silver haired gent from Liverpool way, and the 2/E I think at that time was the unforgettable Dougie Brown, with his football eyes and who used to go purple when he coughed over his cigarettes! Lecky was Willy Watson (Sleepy) ... Charlie Leong joined later as 3/E and the tall young bearded 4/E had his wife aboard. The Chief Stwd was Andy? - Irishman, always had a joke and a laugh.( I believe he died in a fire aboard one of the "V" ships?) GP white crew - later replaced by Filipinos, and I can remember some other faces but can't put names to them.
Later I also sailed on the Tweed (Mel Crawford) the Don (Capt Smith - who died on board - tragic), Eagle, Spey Bridge, Erskine Bridge and Arapaho, variously as 3/O and 2/O.
Enough form me for now - but many other memories - good and bad.. hope some of the names trigger your memories?
Chris Jones
(Welsh Wizard No 2 according to Dougie Brown.....No1 was Ray somebody a mad 4/Eng?)

Kaituo
30th March 2009, 13:58
Now then, Dougie 'Broon', from Morpeth if I recall. A real star ; I sailed with him on the Sand and Aldersgate where he was 3/E and Bar-keeper in the absence of any bar on those vessels.........however his cabin was decorated with fairy lights to create a certain ambience....
Harry Whitelaw was Mate and I was 2/O is those days with Henry Howie and Chivers as Masters.
Usually ploughing a furrow between Seven Islands and Bidston with the odd diversion to Murmansk or Narvik.

Best ship in my view was the Weir; a genuine tramp where we never knew where were going next. Harry was Master and I was mate on it for the last year it sailed under Silver Line ownership. We stayed with it until it was handed over to the Greeks at Sunderland in 1969. It was wrecked shortly afterwards as Aghios Antonios. A lovely ship although it could have done with some A/C ......... however it did have a Party Saloon at the aft end of the Boat Deck .

WilliamH
30th March 2009, 17:53
There was an appretice fitter at Smiths Docks North Shields, called Dougie Brown, when I was serving my apprenticship in 1956-61. He was from a farming family nearer to Rothbury, than Morpeth, he only went home at weekends and stay in logings in South Shields during the week. He was thin with wirery blonde hair if I remember correctly, he had an old Austin7 which he sold to a friend of mine. I wonder if it's the same Dougie Brown

Kaituo
31st March 2009, 13:18
Yes, you are right, Dougie was from The Pinfold, Rothbury not Morpeth. Your description of him sounds about right as well, although I never saw him without a ciggy in his hand.
Great Guy who never let the 0400 bar run short of cans......

harrywhitelaw
5th April 2009, 16:19
Now then, Dougie 'Broon', from Morpeth if I recall. A real star ; I sailed with him on the Sand and Aldersgate where he was 3/E and Bar-keeper in the absence of any bar on those vessels.........however his cabin was decorated with fairy lights to create a certain ambience....
Harry Whitelaw was Mate and I was 2/O is those days with Henry Howie and Chivers as Masters.
Usually ploughing a furrow between Seven Islands and Bidston with the odd diversion to Murmansk or Narvik.

Best ship in my view was the Weir; a genuine tramp where we never knew where were going next. Harry was Master and I was mate on it for the last year it sailed under Silver Line ownership. We stayed with it until it was handed over to the Greeks at Sunderland in 1969. It was wrecked shortly afterwards as Aghios Antonios. A lovely ship although it could have done with some A/C ......... however it did have a Party Saloon at the aft end of the Boat Deck .

I remember Dougie Brown well. Good guy who liked his tabs and his booze.
According to my son I visited Dougie once at his home in or outside of Rothberry. My son remembers it but I'm a bit hazy. Does anyone know what happened to Dougie?
I also have very fond memories of Captain Henry Howie(known as Bad boy Howie in his Blue Funnel days). I kept in regular touch with him until he died many years ago in Duns. My daughter is named after his daughter, Avril. Iwas the last silver line master of the Silver Weir and handed her over to the Greeks at Sunderland. The Greeks handed over the Red Ensign to me (very grubby it was). My son has it now.
I look forward to more ex shipmates jogging my memory as age and drink are taking there toll on mine.
Best wishes to all, Have a Happy Easter.
Harry Whitelaw

borderreiver
5th April 2009, 19:46
I am sure I sailed with Dug on the Algol (before the Fire)
will dig out a pict of him leaving the ship in a digger bucket

Roger Gerrey
6th April 2009, 16:17
Only just found this website and I haven't laughed so much in ages - reading some of the names that brought back so many memories.
My first ship was the Fjord - I joined as 4th mate! (from RN) but soon got my 3/O's job as the incumbent (Mark "Lady" Hamilton) didn't quite live up to expectations.
2/O's name but he was a Bristol Channel pilot doing some sea-time. Soon afterwards we had two cadets - Eric Deakins (Grimsby) - who now lives in NZ I believe and Jon' Marten-Hale who is now an airline pilot and lives Luton way.
Angus Mather (Gloucester shed) joined as Eng cadet and the 3 stewards (stoogies) Gordon(Capt's), Barry (Saloon with his bow tie) and "Squeaky" John (Duty mess) kept us amused!
The C/Eng was a silver haired gent from Liverpool way, and the 2/E I think at that time was the unforgettable Dougie Brown, with his football eyes and who used to go purple when he coughed over his cigarettes! Lecky was Willy Watson (Sleepy) ... Charlie Leong joined later as 3/E and the tall young bearded 4/E had his wife aboard. The Chief Stwd was Andy? - Irishman, always had a joke and a laugh.( I believe he died in a fire aboard one of the "V" ships?) GP white crew - later replaced by Filipinos, and I can remember some other faces but can't put names to them.
Later I also sailed on the Tweed (Mel Crawford) the Don (Capt Smith - who died on board - tragic), Eagle, Spey Bridge, Erskine Bridge and Arapaho, variously as 3/O and 2/O.
Enough form me for now - but many other memories - good and bad.. hope some of the names trigger your memories?
Chris Jones
(Welsh Wizard No 2 according to Dougie Brown.....No1 was Ray somebody a mad 4/Eng?)

Hi Chris were you on the Arapaho when we went to Angola and loaded oil from a floating pipeline,discharged in Freeport and then went up to Norfok for coal where we anchored for six weeks end of 1980 into 1981 as Iwas 3/o for that trip.Lots of other ships there as well. yours Roger Gerrey

degsy
6th April 2009, 17:53
Hi seejay the CS was Andy Hunter from Carrickfergus, I wasv on her when Tommy Kirkpatrick was C/O, Captain (Johnny) Walker, C/E Alan Riley ex Safmarine.

borderreiver
6th April 2009, 18:19
Great guy was Andy Hunter sad his loss on the Algol
sailed with Tommy Kirkpatrick when he was master

glennmiddlemiss
10th April 2009, 18:11
i am a postman who delivers around rothbury, i shall try and find out about dougie brown, also i sailed on the silversand, 1972 i think, went across the north atlantic in winter, frightening it was, accommodation got stoved in by wave.

seejay
13th April 2009, 10:34
Hi Chris were you on the Arapaho when we went to Angola and loaded oil from a floating pipeline,discharged in Freeport and then went up to Norfok for coal where we anchored for six weeks end of 1980 into 1981 as Iwas 3/o for that trip.Lots of other ships there as well. yours Roger Gerrey

Hello Roger, Yes I was on the Arapaho at that time. The old man was a tall thin chap ( almost a double for Abraham Lincoln?) - who almost hit some other ships in Freeport when he turned the Arapaho about. The C/O was a young chap - quite switched on guy.
Later sailed on the Arapaho with Jim Staines (two sons and a daughter) as master, Gavin Brown as mate, a really funny jolly guy from Sunderland (two daughters) was lecky and the sparky was an old hand from Burnham (daughter - "Dawn"). All of whom had their wives on board and we had 6 or 7 children on there all told ... and the cadet looked so young he could have been one of the children. We did three trips Chesapeake Bay to Rotterdam (and Hamburg?) with coal - each time the anchorage time in the USA got longer and longer!
Chris Jones

Roger Gerrey
13th April 2009, 12:57
Hi Chris the lecky was called Frank Usher if I remember well became a superintendant I think.I remember having to call the Old man out on Christmas morning as it was blowing a hooly and there was ships dragging anchor all over the place heading for a big bridge behind us.Also the helicopter that used to come out to us was callsign Blackfoot another Indian tribe.
All the best Roger

seejay
14th April 2009, 21:26
Hi Chris the lecky was called Frank Usher if I remember well became a superintendant I think.I remember having to call the Old man out on Christmas morning as it was blowing a hooly and there was ships dragging anchor all over the place heading for a big bridge behind us.Also the helicopter that used to come out to us was callsign Blackfoot another Indian tribe.
All the best Roger

Hi Roger - Frank Usher that's right - real nice guy. I remember the commotion around Christmas when ships were dragging everywhere - one of them just missed us by a coat of paint I believe! Were you on there when we put a play on - "Stork Trek" - all acted out by the kids?
Regards
Chris

Kaituo
15th April 2009, 11:42
I remember Dougie Brown well. Good guy who liked his tabs and his booze.
According to my son I visited Dougie once at his home in or outside of Rothberry. My son remembers it but I'm a bit hazy. Does anyone know what happened to Dougie?
I also have very fond memories of Captain Henry Howie(known as Bad boy Howie in his Blue Funnel days). I kept in regular touch with him until he died many years ago in Duns. My daughter is named after his daughter, Avril. Iwas the last silver line master of the Silver Weir and handed her over to the Greeks at Sunderland. The Greeks handed over the Red Ensign to me (very grubby it was). My son has it now.
I look forward to more ex shipmates jogging my memory as age and drink are taking there toll on mine.
Best wishes to all, Have a Happy Easter.
Harry Whitelaw

We had some good times on Tower Bridge running a trans-Pacific round trip Vancouver - Shanghai or Taku Bar -Gladstone-Bellingham-Vancouver. Cant remember how many times we did this run but 9 month trips were not unusual.
China was a great laugh with organized readings from The Thoughts of Mao every morning and evening conducted by the local Commissar.... also you could not go ashore in Shanghai or Tanggu without proudly displaying your Mao badge.
Beer was cheap and transport always provided to the Friendship Store where we bought fur coats for sale 'elsewhere' ....... however not much market for fur in Queensland and the Yanks didn't like stuff from 'Commie China' so we usually ended up giving stuff away to the Vancouver Ladies.....
Harry Whitelaw was Master on the Tower Bridge at that time and I was Mate. Chief Engineer was a Welsh guy called Greenaway but dont remember the others and for the life of me can't remember if we had Indian or Chinese crew ...... maybe Harry can remember ?
Anyway, found a nice black and white pic of the Tower Bridge steaming into Vancouver under Lions Gate Bridge. I have a feeling the pic has been touched up with Photoshop as I never remember the hull looking so clean !

Iain M

Roger Gerrey
17th April 2009, 16:15
Hi Chris
Can't remember the play but remember a horse racing night when we were loading oil over in Angola from a floating pipeline and we had a husband and
wife on board from the oil installation so they could have a good time .
Also going across to another of our ships in Norfolk playing a set of bagpipes we had made up with a tape recorder inside.
I joined the fire service in 1983 and am still there and have enjoyed it immensly,did a job swap in 1995 with a firefighter in Queensland for 12 months it was great and we hope to retire there in the next couple of years.
All the best Roger

ccurtis1
17th April 2009, 20:18
Hello Roger, Yes I was on the Arapaho at that time. The old man was a tall thin chap ( almost a double for Abraham Lincoln?) - who almost hit some other ships in Freeport when he turned the Arapaho about. The C/O was a young chap - quite switched on guy.
Later sailed on the Arapaho with Jim Staines (two sons and a daughter) as master, Gavin Brown as mate, a really funny jolly guy from Sunderland (two daughters) was lecky and the sparky was an old hand from Burnham (daughter - "Dawn"). All of whom had their wives on board and we had 6 or 7 children on there all told ... and the cadet looked so young he could have been one of the children. We did three trips Chesapeake Bay to Rotterdam (and Hamburg?) with coal - each time the anchorage time in the USA got longer and longer!
Chris Jones

The Sparks I think would be Denis Passmore. He , when I sailed with him on Arapaho, organised all of the horse racing nights and introduced us all to an RN game of "Uckers". Frank Usher last heard, was running a newsagent/tobacconist's in Sunderland. Gavin I believe emigrated to Vancouver with his Canadian wife and had command of a ferry. Anybody have any idea what happened to Captain Mike Dickens (the egg on legs), or Joe Townes the 2/E.
Regards

harrywhitelaw
26th April 2009, 16:02
We had some good times on Tower Bridge running a trans-Pacific round trip Vancouver - Shanghai or Taku Bar -Gladstone-Bellingham-Vancouver. Cant remember how many times we did this run but 9 month trips were not unusual.
China was a great laugh with organized readings from The Thoughts of Mao every morning and evening conducted by the local Commissar.... also you could not go ashore in Shanghai or Tanggu without proudly displaying your Mao badge.
Beer was cheap and transport always provided to the Friendship Store where we bought fur coats for sale 'elsewhere' ....... however not much market for fur in Queensland and the Yanks didn't like stuff from 'Commie China' so we usually ended up giving stuff away to the Vancouver Ladies.....
Harry Whitelaw was Master on the Tower Bridge at that time and I was Mate. Chief Engineer was a Welsh guy called Greenaway but dont remember the others and for the life of me can't remember if we had Indian or Chinese crew ...... maybe Harry can remember ?
Anyway, found a nice black and white pic of the Tower Bridge steaming into Vancouver under Lions Gate Bridge. I have a feeling the pic has been touched up with Photoshop as I never remember the hull looking so clean !

Iain M

More memories from the Tower Bridge! When we first sailed into Shanghai port, as Master; I had to quote thoughts of Mao to the the entire crew. After that the Commisar done. The Mao badges and "little red book" were given to my son on my return home, and he still has them. I also remember that the cabin doors weren't allowed to be locked as Chinese officials stated there were no thieves in China. Otherwise there was no real trouble in China although the crew (including my self) had to be careful when ashore. I am also pretty sure we had an Indian crew on board the Tower Bridge. Dollars could anything from shanghai at that time.

Harry

Kaituo
29th April 2009, 07:16
More memories from the Tower Bridge! When we first sailed into Shanghai port, as Master; I had to quote thoughts of Mao to the the entire crew. After that the Commisar done. The Mao badges and "little red book" were given to my son on my return home, and he still has them. I also remember that the cabin doors weren't allowed to be locked as Chinese officials stated there were no thieves in China. Otherwise there was no real trouble in China although the crew (including my self) had to be careful when ashore. I am also pretty sure we had an Indian crew on board the Tower Bridge. Dollars could anything from shanghai at that time.

Harry

Apart from being 'no thieves in China' the workers managed to discharge 36,000 tons on wheat by hand ! Shovelling it into sacks which were then lifted out by shore cranes..........Tower Bridge being gearless.
I suppose the martial music they had blaring out of dockside loudspeakers 24hrs a day helped concentrate their minds.......

Iain M

litavan
29th April 2009, 16:31
Very happy to see so many ex-Silverline hands bringing back so many old names and memories. I have been reading through them all again and they certainly bring back some very good ones and some sad.

I was on the Algol when we had the fire sailing as 3/0, and remember quite clearly C/Stwd Andy Hunter & R/O Jude Naroona, the 4/E that died, his name i dont recall. All were excellent blokes and were sadly missed.

Lets keep this thread going, maybe we can name "all" ex-Silverline hands over the coming years?

I gave up the sea in 2002 and came ashore working for LOC in Singapore, and funnly enough was lucky to see the old "Bandama" at anchor about 18 months back in Singapore, i was on her as cadet, many moons ago, having the time of my life on the beaches near Abidjan?? They were good times.

All the best - Vaughan Williams

ccurtis1
29th April 2009, 21:38
Litavan, here are a few "Silverline" hands from th 60's through to "V" Ships in the 90's.
Captains:- Hopkins, Walker, Safe, Tuddenham, Lowdon, Ron Hill, Jim Staines, Ian Harrison, Colin McClean, Mike Dickens, Bev Dyke
C/O's:- Bryn Margerison, Paul Wakeling, Colin Overall, Gavin Brown, Ian McClean, Roger Wright, Tony Green
C/E's:- Alfy Crowther, Jack Waites, Bob Ronald, George Ferdinand, Albert Trotter, Ted Greenaway, Matty Jack, Len Dewar, Cyril Staines, Alf Robinson, Simon Robinson, Pat Robinson, Roy Pye, Neil Widdas, Mike Gardiner, Kenny Pearce, Jack Coyle
2/E's:- Trevor Davidson, Stan Watson, Freddy Johnson, Denis Barker, John Doyle, Les Robertson, Joe Townes, Dave Whitter, Dave Arrowsmith, Dave Miller (who was on the Altanin during the rescue by Jon Snow and always in the days after greeted everyone with the expression, "Shake the hand, that shook the hand, that felt Anna Fords gadget" He used a rather cruder term than gadget so use your imagination.
3/E's:- Tony (the Prince of Darkness) Blackwood, Charlie Leong, Angus Mather, Wayne Scott, Alan Stoddart, Derek Bell, Ray Lutton, Dave Robson, (Doc) Livingston Brown, Steve (Aesop, Splitters) Cogger, Billy Graham
Elect/RO's:- Denis Passmore, Frank Usher, Steve Bell, Dave Lane, Carlos Villalanda. On the Crag in the 60's we had an old hand 2/E from Dene Line who sailed as electrician as he was something of a hero, Bert (maybe Hamp) MBE
If I can recall more, I will post

litavan
30th April 2009, 04:22
Thanks for the list of names, quite a number i do remember. A few have sprung to mind from the early years:-
Silverfjord: (1977) Capt Jenkins. R/O we used to call "Paddy" young bloke with a big mop of curly hair from Ireland. Pete Jones 3/0 and the 2/0 was married to an ex-page three girl from the Sun newspaper.
Algol: (1982 - time of the fire): i think it was Capt. Jimmy Wyness and the C/O was Bruce Firth.
I think i still have a collection at home of the "Silverline" monthly newsletter with crewing lists attcahed. If they are still were i think they are i shall dig them out and put even more names for people to remember. This will only happen in June/July as currently working on wreck removal offshore Taiwan as a P&I Club rep.

Brgds all - Vaughan Williams

borderreiver
1st May 2009, 14:59
Found a pic of Dug brown leaving the Alkes in Mexico
with the 4 eng Guy Falkes
pic taken on a small 110 film from a dstance
great fellow.

Steven Lamb
1st May 2009, 19:39
Hello to all you Ex Silverline lads.
I was at Fleetwood college doing my sparks ticket with Ian Partington who I believe joined Silverline when we left
Anybody remember the rascal ! and his whereabout these days pls ?

All the best
Steve

chris thompson195
9th May 2009, 20:50
Litavan, here are a few "Silverline" hands from th 60's through to "V" Ships in the 90's.
Captains:- Hopkins, Walker, Safe, Tuddenham, Lowdon, Ron Hill, Jim Staines, Ian Harrison, Colin McClean, Mike Dickens, Bev Dyke
C/O's:- Bryn Margerison, Paul Wakeling, Colin Overall, Gavin Brown, Ian McClean, Roger Wright, Tony Green
C/E's:- Alfy Crowther, Jack Waites, Bob Ronald, George Ferdinand, Albert Trotter, Ted Greenaway, Matty Jack, Len Dewar, Cyril Staines, Alf Robinson, Simon Robinson, Pat Robinson, Roy Pye, Neil Widdas, Mike Gardiner, Kenny Pearce, Jack Coyle
2/E's:- Trevor Davidson, Stan Watson, Freddy Johnson, Denis Barker, John Doyle, Les Robertson, Joe Townes, Dave Whitter, Dave Arrowsmith, Dave Miller (who was on the Altanin during the rescue by Jon Snow and always in the days after greeted everyone with the expression, "Shake the hand, that shook the hand, that felt Anna Fords gadget" He used a rather cruder term than gadget so use your imagination.
3/E's:- Tony (the Prince of Darkness) Blackwood, Charlie Leong, Angus Mather, Wayne Scott, Alan Stoddart, Derek Bell, Ray Lutton, Dave Robson, (Doc) Livingston Brown, Steve (Aesop, Splitters) Cogger, Billy Graham
Elect/RO's:- Denis Passmore, Frank Usher, Steve Bell, Dave Lane, Carlos Villalanda. On the Crag in the 60's we had an old hand 2/E from Dene Line who sailed as electrician as he was something of a hero, Bert (maybe Hamp) MBE
If I can recall more, I will post

Hi all
I have a few more to add to the list,what about Frankie Moorcroft old man when I was on the Fjord,Yorky Thompson(no relation) our lieutenant comander in the RNR.
John Wright2/E,the last time I saw John was the first time the tall ships came to the Tyne in 1980 something,he was sailing as chief on oil rig supply boats(he was'nt impressed with them either).
Harry Hindmarsh3/E,I was his junior for one short trip on the Sand, he had the same speech "slur" as Eddie Hall,I was told the first time they met Eddie thought he was taking the mick!!
Sammy Jones 3/E, the first person I met in Silver line, and Dave Buckland the lecky, of Llandaff same as Frankie Moorcroft,who else could drink Gin like Dave?
Sam the cook who used to bake stotties for those of us on the poop at 6am with a beer in our hands,Billy Gardener who stashed everything at the back of the cupboard shelf,when he was at home!!
Others that I recall Paul Lewis2/O,who's wife Nancy hated getting french Canadian operaters when you phoned the UK,Bob Sharp2 or 3/O,Ronnie Nicholson3/E,John Cochrane3/E and last but not least Pete Mangleshot from Wembley but now of Trimley St Martin drinking in the 'and in 'and, Les Robertson and I spent a great weekend with him back in a time when flares were flares and we all had great big pointy collars on our shirts.
There are a couple of others on my profile as well.
Cheers for now

Chris

ccurtis1
10th May 2009, 20:39
Hi Chris,
Never sailed with Yorky, but he was legend in Silver Line and Dave Whitter used to regale us with tales about him. Some other names to conjure with. Cap Jock Riddell who I believe went on to Warsash as a lecturer. Mike Lazonby, whom I sailed with when he was both Mate and Master, and John Lowe, who was Master on the Arapaho when I was there. Of course from the old days, Eddie Skinner and Jimmy Denton who both went on to higher things and Jim Punton who left Silver Line for the Palm Line and then the ill fated Gulf East. I'm having a couple of pints with Les Robertson this week (He is the engineer on Tyne tugs) so I will remind him of you. Ricky Webb is another I have lost contact with. He went ashore in Barrow, his home town and started his own electrical business, but moved on. I have great memories of Silver Line and though never meeting some characters mentioned (ie Duggy Brown, Dave Whitter was always a fund of information about them), I knew of them. Incidentally, Dave Whitter last heard of was Chief Engineer for a national hospital group.
Regards
Colin

caseman
11th May 2009, 18:07
Whilst not exactly within the era mostly covered by this thread, I sailed on the 'Silverburn' as R/O from May 1957 until April 1958 when she was sold to Scindia Line in Bombay and we were flown home. On board were Capt N H Bloye, C/O F Hewitt, 2/O E R Alton and T Lindsay, 3/O B Watson and Cadets Bannister, Matthews and Young.
Worst part of that trip after loading timber on the BC coast, was the 21 days from Honolulu to Sydney at top speed of 9 knots. Day after day of 10 minute log entries 'No Sigs'. Arrive in Sydney and pubs all close at 6pm. Still, we all look back on these days and think they were some of the best in our lives.
Cheers
David/G4CMQ

ccurtis1
11th May 2009, 20:16
How could I ever miss out Paul Malone who went on to become Master, and now lives, I believe, in Curacao. PCS TommyWilson, Peter Smalldon and Albert RN. Sorry, I cannot recall his surname, but he was universally known as Albert RN. Another legend, whom I never met but knew about was "Crackers Malarky", not his real name but again universallly known as Crackers.
Regards

chris thompson195
20th May 2009, 22:01
Hi all,
For those of us of a NE persuassion,tonight's chrony announces the 80th birthday of one illustrious Captain Harry Whitelaw.
Now I hope he is buying the drink tonight cause I cant remember the birthday free drinks on the Fjord,unless of course he joined late on in 73.
Congratulations Harry, by god you were just a bairn when the photo was taken,nice to see the ears keeping the cap out of your eyes!
best wishes
Chris

ccurtis1
21st May 2009, 20:18
Never met Harry though I feel I should know him as I was in Silver Line for many years at about the same time.
So happy birthday Harry, have a good one
Kind regards
CCurtis1

Andy Biegala
24th May 2009, 18:30
Hi all

I'm Andy Biegala and I can add to Chris's notes on Arapaho 1980 earlier in this forum.

I joined Arapaho in New Orleans early in 1980 and stayed aboard for seven months leaving in time for college in September. It was an incredible trip full of incidents.

The trip had no less than five wives and six children including:

Captain Staines and spouse plus his daughter and two sons
R/O Dennis Passmore and his wife June and Dawn his daughter.
Lecky Frank Usher with his wife and their two daughters.

Chris had his own wife there and the C/O was Gavin Brown with his wife who joined at the same time as myself.

Half way through the trip another cadet joined as Chris says. He was so young looking that it was not long before he was nicknamed "smally boy".(Sorry but cannot remember his real name).

On leave in New Orleans I bought a 10 gallon hat and was subsequently given the nickname "tex".

The ship loaded grain and animal feeds for Amsterdam. One thing I remember was a floating crane called "Kevin" or "The Kevin" which was steam powered. In operation it produced so much steam that you could literally not see what was going on at times as it totally clouded out the deck.

After discharge in Amsterdam we hold cleaned en-route to Norfolk Virginia and our football season started. I well remember the great games we had nightly until the hold was finally filled with coal which we took to Dunkirk. I also remember a trip to a British Military cemetery at Dunkirk.

Afterwards we were back to the Mississippi and Baton Rouge this time. Had a trip to the top of the State Capital Building with a fantastic view of the Mississippi and also bought an elaborate three piece suit and a Gestapo type leather coat from a closing down sale. The trousers were too long so I used an office stapler to temporarily shorten them.

We loaded for Amsterdam again and I remember a trip to Delft whist there.

The football season started again after discharge and continued as we made our way back to Norfolk where we ended up in the coal queue again. By this time it was high summer, the queue was considerably longer and we had quite a few trips ashore. Often we would take a lifeboat ashore to the beach.

We also did a trip to Busch Gardens, a leisure park which had a big roller coaster called the Loch Ness monster.

When we got back we found that the pump man had accidentally flooded the pump room and there was metres of water in it.

Luckily Chris was an ex navy diver and we had some friends ashore that lent us diving gear and we were able to block the exterior pipe and begin the process of pumping out and repairing the damage. In order to do this we had to move a lot of water ballast about and put the ship head down and leaning to starboard. I was on anchor watch the night we did this and over the course of the night and early morning the ship gradually assumed this new position. It must have looked to other vessels as if we were about to take our final plunge aka titanic!

Just after dawn a coastguard sea king helicopter approached us and called us up on the VHF asking if we were all right. I said we were just conducting a routine operation. At that moment the electricity failed as the generator water intake came clear of the water!!

Fortunately we fixed everything and restored the trim to normal. As far as I now this incident never came to the attention of any office or administrative officialdom.

The wait was so long I got all my correspondence course finished and started to make a model of the ship out of old charts. IT was coming along quite well until I papier mashayed the hull and it bent out of shape.

When we finally got under way Chris wanted me to get rid of it and the cut up charts that were still on the bridge, so we chucked it over the starboard bridge wing. To our surprise it landed upright and the last we saw of it she was bobbing up and down in our wake! I think of these times often and like to think my little arapaho is still out there in the Atlantic, warped and distorted but still defiantly afloat!!

We finally made it to Dunkirk and I left to go to my last college phase at Plymouth with a heavy heart as it had been a great trip with lots of fun and the best companions in the world. I wore my stapled up three piece suit, my gestapo coat and my ten gallon hat and passed unopposed through Dover due to an immigration officers strike.

Towards the end of the year I received a wonderful gift from the Staines family of a photo album with loads of annotated photos of the trip. Included are lifeboat and beach pictures, numerous parties, old cars and windmills at Delft, a priceless shot of Captain Staines and our C/E pouring over a colourful chart of Busch Gardens, complete with Cartoon Loch Ness monster, and smally boy leaning to one side as the ship rolled!!

It remains one of my most cherished possessions.

Apologies for the long post but a lot of great people have been left out. Hope this will remind them of some great times and flush out some more Silver Liners!

litavan
25th May 2009, 11:26
Andy;

very nice story of your time on the Arapaho. I never had the chance to sail on her, but i do remember seeing the vessel in Amsterdam, it must have been July 1980 as we were moored astern of her. I was 3/0 at the time on board the "Carisle", arrving from Sri-Racha (Thailand) with a full load of bulk soya-bean i think?

Hopefully in June or July this year, i shall be able to insert some names of officers & crew taken from the Silverline Monthly Newsletters, which i think i still have at my home in Medan, Indonesia.

Very best to all old Silverliner's.
Captain Vaughan Williams. MNI.

Andy Biegala
25th May 2009, 12:35
Hi Vaughan

I was on board in Amsterdam when the Carisle was moored in the next berth and came aboard for a visit. I think by that time we had our full compliment of 11 family members.

ccurtis1
27th May 2009, 12:45
Andy, Re the flooding of the Arapahos' pump room.
There were some quite serious after effects of the flooding a couple of years later, when we loaded North Sea crude at Hounds Point for Canada. It was the first time she had loaded oil for a few years. It took quite a while to re-instate the Nakakita gear for loading, but we just managed to get away with it. The problems arose during discharge, when the couplings on the pumps ran hot, and I mean really hot with smoke billowing from one pump. The 2nd mate was "Nearcollision" (Nykolyscyn, spelling) and he stopped the pumps on the emergency stop. We managed to complete discharge on one pump and stripped the other down with great difficulty, using oxy-acetylene in the pump room. Everyones fundemental orifice was going half a crown a tanner during this period. We lost the integrity of the pump room to engine room when stripping the intermediate shafting out. In hindsight, it would have been expedient to report the flooding at the time and taken corrective action then. It really was very "hairy"
Regards

Andy Biegala
27th May 2009, 22:13
Hi CCurtis

An interesting post.

After finishing college I went back to Arapaho as 3/O. We loaded oil in Tunisia and discharged in the Cayman Islands. We had no problems in the pumproom at that time which would have been about a year later.

Do you think it likely the problems you experienced were related but took longer to kick in?

Regards

uskside
27th May 2009, 23:11
Hi Vaughan
I was on Silvercrag December 1962 We sailed back from Canada there was an almighty crack sound off the coast of New Foundland.
We limped back to Newport Dry Dock, and Stayed there all over Xmas

uskside
27th May 2009, 23:14
Hi Vaughan
I was on Silvercrag December 1962 We sailed back from Canada there was an almighty crack sound off the coast of New Foundland.
We limped back to Newport Dry Dock, and Stayed there all over Xmas

I lived 10 miles from Newport very handy

ccurtis1
28th May 2009, 23:28
Hi Andy,
Re post 130. It was 1982 when we loaded oil on the Arapaho and I think it was Sullem Voe, where the load Master was Albert Fleck , an old Silver Liner.
The Arapaho had been on the grain run, Mississippi to Amsterdam for quite some time when I relieved Mike Gardiner in Amsterdam, reason I had a DCE and Mike didn't. Old Man was Mike Dickens, and the Mate, Colin Overall. General concensus was that the pump room flooding caused the problems with the pumps. We only had about 5 days to get her ready for oil cargo, and we just about made it.
Great ship, but not without her problems. Frank Usher left after that voyage to become Electrical Super't. Dennis Passmore was the RO. I know it was 1982, because in New Orleans we got a message from the Company saying that all wives and family had to be repatriated as Arapaho was to be requisitioned by the MOD to carry fresh water for the Falklands campaign. Fortunately for us on board, it didn't happen
Regards

uskside
5th June 2009, 15:39

Vaughan Williams...

Hi Litivan
I sailed on Silver crag December 1962 / April 1963 there are photos of her about, If you cant find site I will look for you, shr was ore carrier.

johnny whiting
6th June 2009, 14:28
Only just came across this site by accident .I am John Whiting ex 5th Engineer.Done my apprenticeship with Guy Faulkes in Colchester with Gec Paxman Diesels 1974 -78.My first ship was taking over from Guy in Montreal on the Silvertweed Dec 78.Looking at your photo I think I know Who is the driver especially with hair like that.Its got to be Paul Thomas the R.O who was also on the Silvertweed .I have a few good tales about the two of us.My first trip on the Silvertweed was one I will never forget as we had air start explosion in engine room which blew off Mick the 4ths knee cap.I was blown across the plates as the cranckcase door blew.We had to call Russian ship for doctors to operate on Micks knee and they were completely pissed out their heads.Luckily Mick was ok!Was also on Carisle June 79-Sept 79 and Erskine Bridge Feb 80-Mar 80 as 5th eng.Be nice to catch up with some old shipmates!Looking at my discharge book the master of the Silvertweed and Erskine Bridge was Captain Walker.By the way if anyone remembers Paul Thomas the RO from Nottingham,he emigrated to Oz and was an RO for Sydney Harbour for some years,he was a good mate of mine!Also remember 4th eng Lyndsey who loved his beer!(Silvertweed Dec 78-Mar 79)

johnny whiting
6th June 2009, 15:08
Found a pic of Dug brown leaving the Alkes in Mexico
with the 4 eng Guy Falkes
pic taken on a small 110 film from a dstance
great fellow.

Have posted message 6th June regarding your photo of Dug Brown.From Johnny Whiting .

PeteCarey
14th June 2009, 01:52
I was with Silverline from December '70 until July '74. My first ship, as a deck boy (GP3), was the Silvershore and we sailed to 'Sept Illes' in Canada for Iron Ore in the form of marbles.
Other ships were the eagle, falcon, eid and i'll have to look the others up along with dates in my old log book.

Kaituo
17th June 2009, 14:51
Hi all,
For those of us of a NE persuassion,tonight's chrony announces the 80th birthday of one illustrious Captain Harry Whitelaw.
Now I hope he is buying the drink tonight cause I cant remember the birthday free drinks on the Fjord,unless of course he joined late on in 73.
Congratulations Harry, by god you were just a bairn when the photo was taken,nice to see the ears keeping the cap out of your eyes!
best wishes
Chris

Haven't checked this site for a while but cant miss wishing Harry Whitelaw a Happy 80th and hope he had a few jars to celebrate. Pity The Jungle is no longer in existence, but I suppose there's a second best in North Shields where the beer and the 'entertainment' is acceptable? ?

Anyway I'll have a beer for him tonight......

Can anyone with a good memory remember the name of the well-spoken but short Master who sailed on the ore carriers in the mid '60s. He needed a box to stand on to see over the dodgers on the bridge wings...........
I sailed with him on the Aldersgate to Lulea a couple of times and he would make a point of wearing all his WWII medals when we were going thru the Kiel Canal.........

Good picture of Dougie Brown. Looks same as when I last saw him in 1965....

Iain M

chris thompson195
17th June 2009, 20:03
Haven't checked this site for a while but cant miss wishing Harry Whitelaw a Happy 80th and hope he had a few jars to celebrate. Pity The Jungle is no longer in existence, but I suppose there's a second best in North Shields where the beer and the 'entertainment' is acceptable? ?

Can anyone with a good memory remember the name of the well-spoken but short Master who sailed on the ore carriers in the mid '60s. He needed a box to stand on to see over the dodgers on the bridge wings...........
I sailed with him on the Aldersgate to Lulea a couple of times and he would make a point of wearing all his WWII medals when we were going thru the Kiel Canal.........

Iain M

could the old man have been Frankie Moorcroft? Cant remember if he was well spoken but as I recall he was fond of scrambled egg on his cap,might have been him.
Cheers
Chris

Kaituo
18th June 2009, 12:09
could the old man have been Frankie Moorcroft? Cant remember if he was well spoken but as I recall he was fond of scrambled egg on his cap,might have been him.
Cheers
Chris

After a rake thru some old Discharge Books last night I see it was Capt. Elfed Lewis.... I should have remembered as I sailed with him later on the Tower Bridge just before he retired.
There were a lot of Welsh guys in Silver Line at that time, the most notorious being the Marine Superintendent, Capt. Jones....... who would strike fear in the hearts of many brave Masters and Mates.

Iain M

ccurtis1
18th June 2009, 20:33
Captain Jones and Norman Tuddenham, legend has it didn't get on, something about Normans favourite chair in the lounge and Cap Jones daughter sitting in it. (One of the ore wagons in the sixties)

donald lloyd
19th June 2009, 11:09

anyone remember Capt Norman Tuddenham? i sailed with him on the Silverdon in 74/75

davidhab
19th June 2009, 12:59
Hi All does anyone remember any of the following masters; Captains, William Black or Irvine Ritchie also the late C/O Tony Ross all served on the Carrick Kestrel of Sealions Shipping Ltd 1975 - 1977. Not sure if they sailed when she was with Silverline.

ccurtis1
19th June 2009, 18:08
Norman Tuddenham was a character the likes of which I don't think we will see much of again. He featured as Master in one of Michael Palins around the world in 80 days episodes, and I thought he had mellowed somewhat, but that of course could have been the influence of his good lady who was sailing with him. In mixed company on the Taabo, he was struggling to keep his language moderate, and turned to the Chief Engineer Albert Trotter, and enquired of him, "Whats that polite word for sh1te Albert" "Excretia" replied the Chief. "Aye , thats the word" said Norman then carried on using the fruity language anyway.

Ian Kemp
28th June 2009, 19:30

Hi Harry don,t know if you remember me but I was 2/E on the Main, Roy Jenkins was the Old Man , you were sailing as Supernumery from Panama City Florida and Tommy Wright (Mate) threw a wobbler as we were sailing up past Bermuda and had to be landed. Daz Philips was the Chief Steward. We discharged in Edingburgh, (Leith). Yorkie Thomson joined as C/E .

Ian Kemp
29th June 2009, 18:22
Good Evening One & All!

Can't say as I remember any of you chaps that have left messages here - but certainly recall some of the 'characters' that some of you have mentioned!

No doubt many of you Silver Line chaps will remember some of the names I'm going to mention here too!

Just looking through my Discharge Book now - joined "Silvercove" in Singapore in October, 1975 - left a month later in Hamburg - booked signed by the "Grocer" - no doubt long gone, but an absolute Gentleman by the name of Johnny Mcateer. One of the first Ships through Suez when it re-opened in 1975 - and got War-Bonus for going through!

Then "Silverclyde" in Birkenhead - December, 1975 - with Don Troup as the Old Man - who paid off in Cristobal - and relieved by none other that "Tuddy" Tuddenham! The Mate was Tony Green, who I became very good friends with - and who unfortunately passed away two years ago - God Bless him! I'm afraid good old Tony's fondness for 'The Famouse Grouse' was the end of him!

We did B'head, Corpus Christi, Panama, Japan, then returned to Baltimore where I left, prior to her going to the Great Lakes.

Joined 'Silver Eirik' at Kiel for the run to Europoort - Gdansk - Old Man was one Arthur Lowden! Geordie chap - very pleasant fellow, who used to go home loaded down to the gun'ls with "swag" from the Ship - radios, anything he could lay his hands on! And another - one Tommy Kirkpatrick! There's a name that no doubt many will remember???? Remeber the Mate at that time was Tony Burton, who lives in Wells or Glastonbury - and Bev Dyke, who relieved him, became the Old Man on the 'Altanin' - and got shot up in the Shat-Al-Arab - and abandoned the Ship there - in the company of John Snow (now Channel 4 News) - and the rest of the Officers and Crew!

Ended my Silver Line Days on the "Alva Sea" - Mike Guy being the Old man, who was at my wedding, 26 years ago, and with whom I still keep in touch. And the next Old Man being Jimmy Wyness who took over from Mike when he left the Ship in Ancona.

Good days - anyone remember the wonderful Miss Sally Smithers as she was then? Captain Corneius and one 'Ginger' Moxley in Personnel???

Amazing how it all comes back to you - more than 30 years ago too!

Kind Regards to anyone who recalls me!

Vince.

I joined Silver line in 1971 and sailed on the Silvershore, Ted Greenway and Albert Trotter were the C/E's, Tuddy was the old man and throw a wobbler when we had two ladies of the night from Biorknhead sail round trip with us from Birkenhead to Nouhadibou to Hartlepool. They were taken ashore on a Saturday morning to court and although Tuddy wanted them to get life sentences they were told by the magistrate to go home.
Then sailed on the Silvermain with L. Ellison and then Yorkie (don't call me chief) Thompson. Roy Jenkins and Harry Whitelaw where the old men. Tommy Wright (Mate) had a "nervous breakdown" and was landed in Bermuda. Daz Phillips was the C/S.
Then joined the infamous Binsnes, later Silvertweed, as C/E. During the second voyage from Rotterdam to India whilst taking bunkers in Ceuta had a major damage to the Starboard engine so had to do the rest of the voyage on the one engine. John Tew was Captain, Les Wynn was 2/E, colin McLean Mate, Bill Cowle C/S.
In between the two voyages of the Tweed sailed on the Osprey, Norman Evans was Captain and Bev Dyke Mate.
After the Tweed did a stint on the Eirik, mostly laid up in Rotterdam as no cargo from Poland. Arthur Lowden was Capt, Les Wynn 2/E.
Then joined Silverdon in Aussie taking over from Yorkie who relieved me about 5 months later as I transferred to Monte Carlo to work in the newbuilding department on the Seto Bridge (Arapaho) and the Bandama and Taabo.
In 1977 moved to Silver Line London as a Superintendent working with Eddie Hall, Eddie Skinner, Geoff Painter, Bill Anthony, Geoff Axcell and Mike Smith. In 1981 transferred to Navcot in New York to oversee the Axel Johnson Tankers, plus IMI ships. Then moved to LA to work with Sitmar Cruises before they were purchased by Princess, relocated to New York and then finally to V Ships Miami where I retired in 2005.
Worked with Bruce Firth and Mike Robinson in Miami, also Steve Fielder.
Too many people to remember all of their names, but recall Mel Crawford, Ronnie Safe, Tommy Kirkpatrick, Alan Smith, Willie Greenfield, Dave Buckland, Wynn Davis, John Knight (works for Princess in LA) Paul Malone, now in Curacao.

Ian Kemp
29th June 2009, 21:30

Vaughan Williams...

I joined Silver Line in 1971, first ship was Silvershore, then Silvermain, Silvertweed ex Binsnes, Silver Osprey, Silver Eirik and finally Silverdon in 1976 before coming ashore as a superintendent in the London Office. Transferred to Navcot Corporation New York in 1981 and then to Sitmar Cruises in 1987, back to Navcot Corporation (forerunner of V ships USA) in 1989 when sitmar was sold to Princess Cruises. In 1999 transferred to V Ships Florida in Miami and remained there until retiring in 2005.

Shipmates who come to mind : Ted Greenway, Albert Trotter, Lionel Ellison, Yorkie Thompson, Ron Safe, Tuddy, Frankie Moorcraft, Arthur Lowden, Mel Crawford, Bob Sydney, Alan Smith, Tommy Kirkpatrick, Roy Jenkins, Colin Mc Clean, John Robinson, Paul Malone, Bruce Firth, Mike Robinson, Kit Shipley, Harry Whitelaw. Les Wynn, Dave Trotter
Ron Stevens, Tony Blackwood, Dave Buckland, Gwyn Davies, John Knight,
Ray McCallister plus many more whom I cannot bring to mind.

Happy days and some hard ones also

Ian Kemp
Naples Florida

ccurtis1
29th June 2009, 21:34
Hi Ian
Was Laurie Harding with you in the States? He was C/E on the Clyde, then went into the London Office and then disappeared Stateside. There were two Lawries Harding around at the time, Cleall-Harding and simply Harding. The latter was a smashing lad I think from Bolton originally.
Regards
Colin Curtis

Ian Kemp
30th June 2009, 16:55
Hi Ian
Was Laurie Harding with you in the States? He was C/E on the Clyde, then went into the London Office and then disappeared Stateside. There were two Lawries Harding around at the time, Cleall-Harding and simply Harding. The latter was a smashing lad I think from Bolton originally.
Regards
Colin Curtis

Yes Laurie and I worked together in Navcot Office in New York looking after the Axel Johnson ships. Unfortunately after about 2 years Axel Johnson got out of shipping and Laurie had to leave, joining Stolt Nielsen in Connecticut. He then moved with Stolt to Panama City FL and then to Houston. as far as I know he is still working for them. The other Harding was Laurie Cleall-Harding don,t know what became of him. I think Laurie Harding was originally from Rhodesia but lived for some time in Scotland.
I did the Drydock on the Clyde in Singapore when Laurie was the C/E.

Ian Kemp
30th June 2009, 22:00
Don Troupe another just a little too fond of the wee goldies. He was master on Taabo with Albert Trotter the C/E. Cap Troupe was relieved by Ronnie Safe who professed to having a certificate stating that he was sane. So sorry to hear of Tony Green, a sad loss. Wasn't it Jim Moxley in personnel and wasn't Steve Pile in personnel about that time too. Jim Punton was in the office about that time and left to join the ill fated "Gulf East" You are correct Vince, good days indeed

Yes Jim Moxley was in personnel, Eric Holden was the Personnel Director of the whole group. Steve Pile who lived in Boreham Wood broke his leg in 1981 and died of complications, he was only in his early twenties and was a Chelsea fan. We used to ride the underground together to Burnt Oak.
Jim punton was a good boss, very fair minded if we had been out on a ship for drydock or repairs he would tell us, finish your paperwork and take a couple of days off.

borderreiver
30th June 2009, 22:27
What happend to A Warwick in New York. I spoke to his brother Captain Warwick who told me he is still out in the USA
Chris James

ccurtis1
30th June 2009, 23:49
What happend to A Warwick in New York. I spoke to his brother Captain Warwick who told me he is still out in the USA
Chris James

Which Captain Warwick Chris ? I sailed with Captain Eldon (Don) Warwick, son of Commodore Bill Warwick of Cunard, and brother of Captain Ron Warwick again of Cunard. There is a younger brother, David, who runs his own business in the US Gulf.
Don was Master on Cenargo tonnage, managed by "V" Ships in their Southampton office.
Or are you speaking of another Captain Warwick???
Regards

borderreiver
1st July 2009, 07:55
This is another brother of Ron Warwick
He used to come on board in New York when the sat 55 went there.
mainly doing agency work.

ccurtis1
1st July 2009, 12:40
Chris, are you the friend of Tony Attwood ???
Regards

ccurtis1
1st July 2009, 12:44
This is another brother of Ron Warwick
He used to come on board in New York when the sat 55 went there.
mainly doing agency work.
Chris
I am almost sure that the man in question is the younger brother of Don and Ron, namely David, and as I said previously, he has his own business in one of the US Gulf ports, with Agency work a part of it.
Regards

ccurtis1
1st July 2009, 16:47
Yes Laurie and I worked together in Navcot Office in New York looking after the Axel Johnson ships. Unfortunately after about 2 years Axel Johnson got out of shipping and Laurie had to leave, joining Stolt Nielsen in Connecticut. He then moved with Stolt to Panama City FL and then to Houston. as far as I know he is still working for them. The other Harding was Laurie Cleall-Harding don,t know what became of him. I think Laurie Harding was originally from Rhodesia but lived for some time in Scotland.
I did the Drydock on the Clyde in Singapore when Laurie was the C/E.

I joined the Clyde in Singapore shortly after the dry dock you mention, when Laurie was the Chief. I think she had gone to the Phillipines to load kiln dried tropical hard wood, and came up to Singapore to bunker. Despite protestations from Laurie to Silver Line about loading bunkers in to top hopper bunkers, because of bunker prices he was told to proceed. Just before he left the vessel in Valencia he asked me to sound the bunker tanks as he was about 150 tonnes down. The new figures corresponded to the discepancy. He pondered over the figures and after a while said that he had forgotten the bunkers in No. 1 tank which were unpumpable, so that everything was OK. In Hartlepool, upon discharging the Kiln dried timber, we located the 150 tonnes of missing Singapore bunkers which was in the cargo hold, and had been displaced by the wood, so that most of that holds cargo was knackered. They would not discharge the cargo in Hartlepool, and we had to wait until Rotterdam to get shot of it. I rang Laurie at home after the discovery of the oil in the hold, just to forewarn him. We loaded Phosphates in Rotterdam for Karachi, and the Clyde was sold.

borderreiver
1st July 2009, 19:02
Yes tony is my friend spoke to him last night

Chris

ccurtis1
1st July 2009, 19:17
Chris,
Tony is a great friend of mine, and we correspond regularly. I do believe you and I sailed together in Common Bros and on the Stat 55's in Silver Line but I,m buggered if I can remember where or when.
Regards
Colin

Ian Kemp
1st July 2009, 22:28
Chris
I am almost sure that the man in question is the younger brother of Don and Ron, namely David, and as I said previously, he has his own business in one of the US Gulf ports, with Agency work a part of it.
Regards

Dave worked for Navcot Corporation in New York. He left in 1981 and worked in one of the agencies in the US Gulf and eventually started his own agency, I believe in conjunction with Terry Upson, and then they went different ways and Dave last I heard of him was in Houston.

uskside
1st July 2009, 23:39
I was in the Silver Crag in the early sixties ,i am from M/bro i have been in N/Z since the late sixties,sailing as a/b ,but now retired, i enjoyed both countries ships and crews.

I was on Silvercrag early sixties I am from Wales but have lived in Sussex for 43yrs retired now

Ian Kemp
2nd July 2009, 16:44
according to my discharge book, I joined Silverweir 25.9.67. in Avonmouth and left 1.6.68. in Montreal. We did stay one night in Astoria before going up to Kalama ( not sure about spelling, anyway Red Indian place) to load grain for India. She definitely had Indian crew. Master was Capt. N. Tuddenham of unlamented memory. Silversea and Silverbeach were car carriers and had Mainland China crews.

j.d.robinson

Believe you were on the Silvermain when Tommy Wright took too many pills and had to be landed in Bermuda, Roy Jenkins was the old man and Harry Whitelaw was supernumerary. Daz Phillips was chief steward.
If I am correct you were also on the Spey Bridge on the voyage from Richards Bay to Fos Sur Mer with a full cargo of coal. During discharge on of the bulldozers sank in the hold. Know we had P&I involved but did not get to find out the outcome as I transferred to New York Office.
Another couple of anecdotes re the Spey Bridge. The ship was sold to BOS Shipping and became the BOS Transporter. The vessel loaded coal (again) in Norfolk VA and was to sail to Antwerp, must have been about Christmas 1989.
The only boiler which was working was the Corner Tube as both the EGE and Main Boilers were kaput. A couple of days out of Norfolk the corner tube boiler failed so the vessel came back to Norfolk. As the vessel was too deep for th einbound channel the USCG gave permission to enter via the outbound channel. A temporary boiler was fitted on deck and the vessel proceeded to Antwerp. On arrival at the Schelde the vessel was found to be about 1 1/2 meters too deep. The duct keel was completely filled with water and also the pump room to a depth of about 3 meters. The starboard aft DB tank was also full. Portable pumps were utilised to pump out all of the water. A hole was found in the ships bottom in way of the suction pipe for the ballast system. The Dutch Port Police gave a list of deficiencies to be taken care of before the vessel could sail out of Antwerp. On berthing the Belgium Port control came on and gave another additional list of defiencies. The vessel discharged as was put into a layby anchorage inside the Antwerp port. Pressure tests were carried out on the hopper tanks and it was like a colander with leaks everywhere. We found that the sloping tank tops had been covered with a layer of cement. The ship was a disaster. During one particular night there was a very strong gale and the aft mooring bouy broke causing the vessel to swing to starboard. There was a grain elevator on the quay side and the Spey Bridge made contact with it and just about demolished it. Luckily the house barges which had been alonside the quay the previous day had moved otherwise there would have been a greater disaster.
Anyway the Indian crew made a statement that they all wanted to leave the vessel and Hermann Messner came to visit the vessel to talk to them.
I had a word with him and gave him my feelings and consequently the vessel was sold in the port of Antwerp (believe Denholms were involved) to a Turkish outfit. Anoher thing the vessel was overrun with cockroaches.

Ian Kemp

ccurtis1
2nd July 2009, 16:58
Ian, I remember vaguely that vessel when I was on Arapaho. We sort of looked sideways and said, "She is not one of ours"
Steve Fielder. I relieved as 2nd Engineer on the Alice Redfield in Aruba (I think). He had stood by the buiding in Cammel Lairds, who left us with awful problems, most initiated by the work force in the yard
Regards

ChathamChavs
2nd July 2009, 19:59
I was lecky on the Spey Bridge on 3 occasions 78, 79 and 81 .We thrived on disasters! One of the best was when there was a fire in the engine room workshop caused by a flash back on an acetalyne hose . Unfortuneatly we were 12 miles off Cochin lightering (illegally? Oil bound for South Africa) into a ship named Cherry something (Singapore flag I think).Filipino crew managed to hose down the group starter panels , but the 2nd Eng crawled into the workshop and turned the bottle off . The EGE never did work - as most things!! Also there in Fos when they pumped the coal out - March 81 . Also 3 trips on Arapaho in 78(name change from Seto Bridge 11/12/78) 79 and 80.

Bill Davies
3rd July 2009, 08:44
Cherry Jet?????

Ian Kemp
3rd July 2009, 17:57
Ian, I remember vaguely that vessel when I was on Arapaho. We sort of looked sideways and said, "She is not one of ours"
Steve Fielder. I relieved as 2nd Engineer on the Alice Redfield in Aruba (I think). He had stood by the buiding in Cammel Lairds, who left us with awful problems, most initiated by the work force in the yard
Regards

Steve Fielder is now a Lloyds Surveyor working out of the Fort Lauderdale Office.

harrywhitelaw
5th July 2009, 15:53

Iain M

Just a quick thank you to all who wished me a happy 80th birthday. I had a good one with family and friends. Nice meal and a few drinks. Don't feel 80 as I am still out everyday for my pint (with a couple of other retired skippers-Issac from BP and Len Parks from Huntings and Sons), and also still chasing barmaids!
Noticed a few comments about Norman Tuddenham, I knew him well over a number of years. Like me. he had to struggle at times to get promotion within Silver Line (enough said). Still it was good to see him on TV (Around the world in 80 days with Michael Palin) with what I believe was Trident Shiping of Singapore. I also notice there wasn't much bleeped out, He must have cut down the swearing. Does anyone know if whether he is still working, or retired?
With regard to a previous posting by Ian Kemp, I do recall the Tommy Wright incident vaguely.
I still enjoy all reminisce's on this site. Brings many a smile to my face as well as the odd scowl! If anyone wants to pick my brains, just ask as I've still got most of my marbles despite the whisky intake.
Incidently does anyone remember Mal Virgee, 2nd mate foe a while with Silverline. Ended up a master with a Pakistan company and then a marine surveyer in Los Angeles where he is now happily retired with his family I enjoy keeping in regular touch with him.
Best wishes to all.
Harry

Ian Kemp
8th July 2009, 00:17
Just a quick thank you to all who wished me a happy 80th birthday. I had a good one with family and friends. Nice meal and a few drinks. Don't feel 80 as I am still out everyday for my pint (with a couple of other retired skippers-Issac from BP and Len Parks from Huntings and Sons), and also still chasing barmaids!
Noticed a few comments about Norman Tuddenham, I knew him well over a number of years. Like me. he had to struggle at times to get promotion within Silver Line (enough said). Still it was good to see him on TV (Around the world in 80 days with Michael Palin) with what I believe was Trident Shiping of Singapore. I also notice there wasn't much bleeped out, He must have cut down the swearing. Does anyone know if whether he is still working, or retired?
With regard to a previous posting by Ian Kemp, I do recall the Tommy Wright incident vaguely.
I still enjoy all reminisce's on this site. Brings many a smile to my face as well as the odd scowl! If anyone wants to pick my brains, just ask as I've still got most of my marbles despite the whisky intake.
Incidently does anyone remember Mal Virgee, 2nd mate foe a while with Silverline. Ended up a master with a Pakistan company and then a marine surveyer in Los Angeles where he is now happily retired with his family I enjoy keeping in regular touch with him.
Best wishes to all.
Harry

Harry if you can cast your mind back to the "Main" the vessel was in Leith and my wife drove up from Sunderland to meet me and we then drove back down to sunderland and we gave you a lift to Newcastle. During the stay in Leith we had a total blackout to renew pipes in the engine room and the Leith fire brigade had to stand by during the whole process. Believe that Geoff Painter (super) was taken to task over the cost of the operation. Ah happy days. In all my years with Silver Line - shipping Management - V Ships I only got to meet you on that ship.

Ian Kemp
10th July 2009, 23:05
anyone remember Capt Norman Tuddenham? i sailed with him on the Silverdon in 74/75

I sailed with Tuddy on the Silvershore in 1971, he had a nervous breakdown after the two ladies of the night (Birkenhead Belles) were found on board after leaving Nouhadibou, they were taken before a judge in Hartlepool and only received a mild scolding, no fine etc. Tuddy was at the court and just lost it. Met him again when I was working in the London Office and he remarked that that was the trip he went Do Lally.
Met Ron Safe on the Binsnes, I had sailed with the vessel from Wyalla Australia (it was under Denholm Management) and he joined, along with Stan Brack Superintendent in Hamburg for the trip over to Jarrow for drydocking.
we sailed together 3 times on the Binsnes/Silvertweed. He was very tough on Mates but liked the "ginger beers". However he new his job and if a mate was willing they could learn a lot from Ronny.
Also sailed with Alan Smith, first when he was mate on the Silvershore( and refused ever again to sail with Tuddy) and then when he was Master on the Silverdon.
And never forget the Freeman of Newcastle, Arthur Lowden, was on the Eirik, Rotterdam - Gdansk run with him.

Roger Gerrey
13th July 2009, 16:46
Hi Colin I was 3/O on the Clyde and was on duty when we found the oil in the holds.I think Paul Neville was C/O and we went to Amsterdam to get the cargo removed and cleaned.Roger

ccurtis1
13th July 2009, 19:21
Hi Colin I was 3/O on the Clyde and was on duty when we found the oil in the holds.I think Paul Neville was C/O and we went to Amsterdam to get the cargo removed and cleaned.Roger
Hi Roger,
I think you, Dave Gammons, Phil Keegan (RO) and wife, myself and wife and the 4th Eng whom I cannot recall all joined in Singapore. Was Paul Neville referred to as "Syd Vicious". Sandra, my wife, remembers you well, and sends her regards. Any idea what happened to Dave Gammons? I seem to recall that he had his passport stolen from his cabin in the south of France by "Carlos the Jackall" Ring any bells?
Kind regards
Colin

John Hebblewhite
16th July 2009, 17:43
Hi there...I sailed with Silver Line on the Silver Osprey as 2/O and the Silver Falcon as C/O 1973-1974. At that time they were a good company to work for. Rgds John

R58484956
16th July 2009, 20:25
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

TromboneJones
23rd July 2009, 14:45
Hi Roger

Seem to remember sailing with you - possibly on the 'Osprey. Weren't you from Ipplepen, or somewhere?

Lots of names to recall.

Did a trip with a Junior Eng. called Bernie(?) from Bolton and he controversially brought his disabled wife on board. I seem to remember he dropped her whilst carrying her during rough weather and they had to get paid off at his own expense! Wonder where they are now?

Had a few good trips with Bev Dyke on the chemical tankers ('stickies' anyone?).

Remember CPSs Pete Smallman and Daz Phillips well - Daz had his wife with him one trip (from the Rhonnda).

Like to know what happened to Jim Kirkland, sailed with him as cadets? Also Angus 3/O, Mark Witkowski 2/O, and lots of other shipmates from the 72-79 era.

Pete Jones

John Hebblewhite
23rd July 2009, 15:12
I sailed on the Silver Osprey as 2/0 in 1973 and was 2/0 then C/O on the Silver Falcon (flying falcon) 1973/1974.

whitterd
27th July 2009, 12:21
The Sparks I think would be Denis Passmore. He , when I sailed with him on Arapaho, organised all of the horse racing nights and introduced us all to an RN game of "Uckers". Frank Usher last heard, was running a newsagent/tobacconist's in Sunderland. Gavin I believe emigrated to Vancouver with his Canadian wife and had command of a ferry. Anybody have any idea what happened to Captain Mike Dickens (the egg on legs), or Joe Townes the 2/E.
Regards

I don’t know where to start; every posting has a name or memory. I have sailed with the majority of these guys. Horse racing on the Arapaho - I couldn’t remember those nights the day after, never mind 25 years later. Denis, Frank, Joe, Gavin. All great lads and good mates. Gavin is now port captain in Victoria BC. Colin do you remember the time we almost died in the North Atlantic on that wonderful ship the Carchester? I’ve got hundreds of photos, many of the faces are well remembered but other names are subject to the depletion of brain cells over the years. My wife found this site whilst looking for a birthday present for me (don’t ask!!) I'll definitely monitor on a regular basis and hopefully swing the lantern and tell a few more shaggy dog stories as time goes by.
Regards David Whitter

whitterd
27th July 2009, 12:59
Hi Chris,
Never sailed with Yorky, but he was legend in Silver Line and Dave Whitter used to regale us with tales about him. Some other names to conjure with. Cap Jock Riddell who I believe went on to Warsash as a lecturer. Mike Lazonby, whom I sailed with when he was both Mate and Master, and John Lowe, who was Master on the Arapaho when I was there. Of course from the old days, Eddie Skinner and Jimmy Denton who both went on to higher things and Jim Punton who left Silver Line for the Palm Line and then the ill fated Gulf East. I'm having a couple of pints with Les Robertson this week (He is the engineer on Tyne tugs) so I will remind him of you. Ricky Webb is another I have lost contact with. He went ashore in Barrow, his home town and started his own electrical business, but moved on. I have great memories of Silver Line and though never meeting some characters mentioned (ie Duggy Brown, Dave Whitter was always a fund of information about them), I knew of them. Incidentally, Dave Whitter last heard of was Chief Engineer for a national hospital group.
Regards
Colin

Yorky Thompson RNR (Really not Required - his analogy). Colin - Are you suggesting that I could tell a tale??? Regards Dave Whitter

WicklowJimmy
27th July 2009, 13:00
Regards

Hi Colin, long long time. Jim Mahon (ex. R/O) here. Last sailed with you on the Carchester in 1980. Ian Harrison was the Capt. Lovely ship and I have great memories of my time on it.
Rgds, Jim

whitterd
27th July 2009, 13:14
Chris Jones

Chris, The Welsh Wizard was Ray (nobody belonged to that sheep)Bowen. The story that Duggy Brown would tell was that Ray stole a sheep to keep his grass down, when the farmer discovered that Ray had stole the sheep he had to go to court, but his luck held and nobody turned up for the prosecution as a witness, Rays words relating to the incident - "do you know, nobody belonged to that sheep" so he got off. I later heard the story first hand when sailing with Ray on the Silvermain. Regards Dave Whitter.

whitterd
27th July 2009, 13:46
Chris Jones

Chris, Its just hit me, I joined the ship with you in Huston Texas!!! (my first trip to sea January 1975??) I later sailed with you on the Arapaho, Silvermain and Erskin Bridge? The chief engineer on the Fjord was Bob Cordner? Regards Dave Whitter

ccurtis1
27th July 2009, 18:08
Great to hear of two old friends, Jim Mahon and Dave Whitter.
And aye Dave , you could always tell a good story with a fund of funnies about Silkverline personnel.
Still fishing Jim, and making your own flies?
Kind regards to you both
Colin

WicklowJimmy
27th July 2009, 19:08
Great to hear of two old friends, Jim Mahon and Dave Whitter.
And aye Dave , you could always tell a good story with a fund of funnies about Silkverline personnel.
Still fishing Jim, and making your own flies?
Kind regards to you both
Colin

Hi Colin, had to give up the fishing about 3 years ago because every time I cast out one of my dogs went after the fly!, He's a westie and crazy for water. Memory cells are almost gone after so many years but seeing some of the names slowly brings things back. Ricky Webb for one, and Les who is a great guy. I lost all touch with people in 1988 after a phone call from Capt. Messner ended up with me going to Palermo and spending from them to 2000 on the F.S.U. "Sloug" as an instrument tech/foreman. Tough going but very interesting job. Jacked it in because by 2000 there were very few european guys left and theres only so much you can do on your own. Been at home since then working with my wife who has a coffee shop/restaurant. Enjoy it, especially when things blow up!. Best wishes to your wife, I remember her from the Cigarchester.
Rgds, Jim

litavan
3rd August 2009, 07:24
Gents - sorry, i was unable to find the old copies of the "Silverline" news letters i thought i had. Does not help when one gets divorced and moves to Indonesia / Singapore, all sorts have gone missing. I was hoping to put quite a few names on the site? Its good to see such interets in this site since i originally started the blog way back. Please keep it going and i hope many old friends are able to reunite, many names i remember and some good old times often had.

"Spey Bridge" was my favourite ship, one onboard as cadet and one as 3/0 with my ex-wife. The first time as cadet, there was a concert held on board in which many of the officers at that time wrote songs and made a play. The old man was from Hull, and he always said "any road", cant remember his name. Paddy was the R/O? This must have been around 1978/79, just after we took the "Spey Bridge" back from Denholm's in Sicily. I can still see all their faces, but the names have gone, so as my brain cells after so many years.

Best regards to all old friends who remember me from the mid 70's till mid 80's.
Vaughan Williams.(Thumb)

captsunlight
3rd August 2009, 09:30

Iain M
I think that was Bloye he carried a blue ensign with him and asked if any of the crew or officers were RNR so he could fly the blue ensign

cheers

Mike Allan

Roger Gerrey
3rd August 2009, 13:21
Hi Pete yes I was from Ipplepen now living in Torquay where I am a firefighter and have been for 26 years.I remember listening to a tape recording of you on the Osprey.
Chris you were right Dave had his passport stolen and it turned up after being used by the Jackel,lots of memories.
All the best Roger

ChathamChavs
4th August 2009, 18:29
Hi Vaughan , The skipper in question always saying "any road" was Jim Staines .

borderreiver
4th August 2009, 21:02
Great guy sailed with him many times and with his brother who was a chief engineer with Silver line and V ships

WicklowJimmy
6th August 2009, 09:22
Hi Vaughan, sailed with you several times on the "A" boats. Yes, it was Jim Staines. His brother Cyril was a C/Eng and was an equally great guy.
Rgds, Jim.

litavan
6th August 2009, 10:40
I can remember when sailing as both cadet and 3/0 on the Alva Boats, we had German Pumpmen. They were "Tiny", "Gunther" and "Helmut" plus a smaller guy, forgot his name. "Tiny" was so called as he was a giant of a man and used to lift the 16" reducers to the manifold by himself, we watched in awe.

Jim if your reading, which ships were we on together? Been sat in the office here in Singapore trying to remember names from the past?

Vaughan

ccurtis1
6th August 2009, 12:05
There were German pumpmen on the Stat 55's when they first emerged from the builders yard and Hank Otter took great relish in winding them up, him being a Dutch resistance fighter. There was also a German 2nd engineer on the Totem ships when Silver Line took them over, Otto Neiderhaagaman I believe his name was though the spelling may be so-so.

WicklowJimmy
6th August 2009, 14:40
Hi Vaughan, memory gone but almost definitely the Alvega with Capt. Ron Hill. Also Almak with Capt. Riddell. Will see if I can find any old stuff to jog the memory. I should have some old photo's, but God knows where they are and what condition they are in.
Jim.

WicklowJimmy
7th August 2009, 20:38
I can remember when sailing as both cadet and 3/0 on the Alva Boats, we had German Pumpmen. They were "Tiny", "Gunther" and "Helmut" plus a smaller guy, forgot his name. "Tiny" was so called as he was a giant of a man and used to lift the 16" reducers to the manifold by himself, we watched in awe.

Jim if your reading, which ships were we on together? Been sat in the office here in Singapore trying to remember names from the past?

Vaughan

Hello Vaughan, something to be going on with :- Alva Sea 10/1/83 to 14/3/83 Capt. C. Forth/ C/O J. Oxenham/ 2?o Ian Finlayson/ 3/O V. Williams/ C/E Colin Duffy/ 2/E Mike Wiggins/ 2/E Nigel Hancock/ 3/E R. Houlton/ 4/E S. Sendall/ R/O Jim Mahon/ . Thats a few names to try and put faces to!. You paid off on 28/2/83 i think, and god only knows where we had been, no record.

WicklowJimmy
7th August 2009, 20:48

Vaughan

Ok Vaughan, another few date/names :- Almak 1/6/84. Capt Hill/ C/O Tony Attwood/ C/E Frankie Melrose/ 2/O Ian Finlayson/ 3/O V. Williams/ R/O me.
was definitely with you a few more times but cannot remember.
Rgds Jim.

borderreiver
7th August 2009, 22:04
Some great names there. I am still incontact with Tony Attwood. and I sailed with Ian Finlayson a couple of times. and many times with Ron Hill
Chris James

Anhod
8th August 2009, 18:24
Vaughan,

I sailed on the Alva Bay, 1979-80, and we had a German pumpman by the name of Henry. A short dark haired man with a beard and moustache. He used to enjoy a King Edward cigar and a Drambuie after his evening meal. Perhaps this is who you are thinking of.

Neil

chris thompson195
8th August 2009, 22:51
Vaughan,

I sailed on the Alva Bay, 1979-80, and we had a German pumpman by the name of Henry. A short dark haired man with a beard and moustache. He used to enjoy a King Edward cigar and a Drambuie after his evening meal. Perhaps this is who you are thinking of.

Neil

if my memory serves me correct(god are'nt we all getting old with alzheimers)we had a pumpman/donkeyman on the Don in'74 called Henry, he cleared everything up when you were'nt there even if you had'nt finished,so bloody frustrating but as I recall a top bloke at his job.
cheers

chris

WicklowJimmy
10th August 2009, 15:16
Hi Chris, was with you on the Alvega down in the Falklands. great trip. Cannot remember too many names from that trip but Jock Riddell was master, John Mealing was 2nd eng I think. Have some photos stashed somewhere, must drag them out.
Jim Mahon.

borderreiver
10th August 2009, 17:16
Got you. Will post a pic of you with your black berry next time I am back in UK

WicklowJimmy
11th August 2009, 09:59
Thanks Chris, and please give Tony Attwood my best regards.
Jim.

heather7
16th August 2009, 03:17
Gavin Brown is fine and well just spent 7 weeks visiting him and his canadian wife Pat. They live in Kelowna and he is still involved in shipping and still much the same if not a little older as we all are. Gavin and Pat are coming to the UK in September for 2 months and staying in Yorkshire they hope to attend a reuion for Hull nautical college mid September with usual crowd who lived at 96 Cottingham Rd

whitterd
16th August 2009, 16:26
Gavin Brown is fine and well just spent 7 weeks visiting him and his canadian wife Pat. They live in Kelowna and he is still involved in shipping and still much the same if not a little older as we all are. Gavin and Pat are coming to the UK in September for 2 months and staying in Yorkshire they hope to attend a reuion for Hull nautical college mid September with usual crowd who lived at 96 Cottingham Rd

Heather

Could you please pass my regards on to Gavin and Pat. I have tried to get in touch with them but do not have an up to date email address and due to house moves etc do not have any phone details. Jill (my wife) and I attended one of the Hull re-unions about 8 years ago and more recently met up with Gavin and Pat at Manchester airport whilst they were awaiting a flight back to Canada. Many happy memories of the Arapaho etc with Gavin and Pat. Regards David Whitter.

ccurtis1
17th August 2009, 21:22
Heather,
Me too, could you please pass my kindest regards to Gavin
Colin Curtis

Roger Gerrey
18th August 2009, 10:57
Hi Heather could you also give my regards to Gavin and Pat from myself and my wife Chris we had crazy times together on the Setoda tn Amsterdam.
All the best Roger

averheijden
29th August 2009, 13:08
L.S.
Who can help me on a picture from the "mv Silverash" built in 1926, which is sold in 1955 to the Dutch Cie "Royal Inter Ocean Lines" (KJCPL)
What was kind of DOXFORD Engine in this ship and who was the builder of this engine?
Thanks in advance
Alfons

ccurtis1
2nd September 2009, 17:32
Silver Line Ships and Crews, June 1981

ccurtis1
2nd September 2009, 19:39
So sorry you guys, but I have been trying to post June 1981 Silver Line Ships and crews supplement and despite following the instructions re "press the green POST REPLY button" and following the instructions, I still cannot seem to get it posted. Anyone any idea where I am going wrong.
Regards

K urgess
2nd September 2009, 19:58
It may be too big or the wrong format.
Check the list that comes up when you click the "manage attachments" button.
If you don't see a pop up window you may have to enable pop-ups for SN.

Kris

ccurtis1
2nd September 2009, 20:38
Kris
Many thanks your help but still cannot post. The document is A4 size and jpg
format but comes up, "upload failed"
Regards

K urgess
2nd September 2009, 21:08
That means it's probably too big both in pixels and Kb.
If you have photo software then use it to find out the size of the picture you want to upload.
You should be able to find the pixels and Kb quite easily. If it's over 800 pixels high or 290 odd Kb in size upload will fail.
The forum software doesn't resize pictures like the gallery.

ccurtis1
2nd September 2009, 21:24
Thanks again Kris. Gallery I think it will have to be
Regards

K urgess
2nd September 2009, 21:28
We try to discourage printed matter in the gallery because they're invariably difficult to read and the gallery is supposed to be for pictures.
You may find that you're advised to attach it to a thread anyway.

averheijden
3rd September 2009, 17:33
Dear Webmaster,
It looks that it is not possible to place pictures on this forum?
Is there a reason for?

By the way, I found a picture of the "mv Silverash" from 1926 which later on was sold to a Dutch Owner in 1955

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/averheijden/Silverash.jpg

Regards
Alfons

Kaituo
5th September 2009, 14:23
I think that was Bloye he carried a blue ensign with him and asked if any of the crew or officers were RNR so he could fly the blue ensign

cheers

Mike Allan

Bloye it was ! I'd gone thru the alphabet a dozen times trying to remember his name but came up with nothing. He must have been near retirement when I sailed with him in '69. Jack Cloke relieved me on the Aldersgate and I joined the Weir with Harry Whitelaw on its last voyage under Silver Line colours.

ChrisMcClure
16th September 2009, 17:27
Can't believe I just found this site! I joined Silver Line as a deck cadet in 1966 joining the Tower Bridge in Hamburg. Needless to say, details are still hazy after two nights ashore (first time abroad!) but I remember the skipper was Jim Wyness and mate was Charlie Forth (Charles IV). My fellow cadets were George Turner, Ty Ali and Anthony Poynder. Read the thread on Ty but wonder if anyone has come accross the others? Sailed on the Crag, Beach, Cove, Falcon amongst others end ended as mate on the Silvereid around 1974

Great days indeed....

Malcolm Metcalf
7th October 2009, 23:20
" If anyone wants to pick my brains, just ask as I've still got most of my marbles despite the whisky intake."

Harry do you know what happened to Ron Safe, if I recall rightly he was a North Shields guy.......ever run in to him... at the pub or maybe chasing the Haggies Angels or the Tyne Brand Kipper Queens.

:)

ccurtis1
8th October 2009, 00:12
" If anyone wants to pick my brains, just ask as I've still got most of my marbles despite the whisky intake."

Harry do you know what happened to Ron Safe, if I recall rightly he was a North Shields guy.......ever run in to him... at the pub or maybe chasing the Haggies Angels or the Tyne Brand Kipper Queens.

Sadly, Ron Safe died several years ago. See some earlier postings

harrywhitelaw
11th October 2009, 15:45

Ronnie Safe died about 1997 (a couple of years after my wife had her stroke). He had cancer at that time, and the last time I spoke to him was a short while before he died; when he complemented me on the care I was giving to my severely disabled wife.
I noticed an earlier posting mentions Capt Bloye (nicknamed tickety-boo). I was chief officer with him on the Silver Dale. I remember whenever I came of watch, he would always ask "Number 1, would you care for a gin and pinkers". I always said yes, but hated the bloody stuff. He was always a lovely man (typical RN). During the war he was in charge of a flotilla of minesweepers, and as a result knew my father who was skipper of one of the minesweeper's. I seem to recall that he lived in the New Forest following his retirement.
I still find it really interesting to read the posting on this forum, as long forgotten memories keep getting jogged!
cheers everyone

Harry

harrywhitelaw
11th October 2009, 16:09

I,ve just had another memory about Capt Bloye. When I was Cief Officer on the Silver Dale with Capt Bloye we were going eastbound in the Medi, passing Gibraltar. Although the company didn't like it, Capt Bloye insisted on informing Gibralter via morse lamp of "where bound, what ship etc etc". They informed us that we would be passing a four masted Russian barque (full of of cadets) with escort. Capt Bloye insisted a message be put up using the international code flags, wishing the Russians bon voyage! However the two cadets on the Silver Dale put the flags upside down and caused Capt Bloye to throw a bit of a wobbly! This was rectified just in time, as he then ordered us to close in to the Russian sailing ship and escort.He said "Number 1, blow the whistle) as we passed (me being number 1). The bloody whistle jammed on full blast. I had to run from the midship accommodation to the aft accommodation, up the funnel and stop it by hand. All you could see at this time on the Russian sailing ship as it passed , were lines of Russian cadets absolutely p***ing themselves with laughter! Capt Bloye didn't offer me his normal gin and pinkers following that particular incident!!! To say he was annoyed would be an understatement. Happy memories of a gentleman Captain.
Cheers again
Harry

Malcolm Metcalf
11th October 2009, 20:22
Ronnie Safe died about 1997 (a couple of years after my wife had her stroke). He had cancer at that time, and the last time I spoke to him was a short while before he died; when he complemented me on the care I was giving to my severely disabled wife.
I noticed an earlier posting mentions Capt Bloye (nicknamed tickety-boo). I was chief officer with him on the Silver Dale. I remember whenever I came of watch, he would always ask "Number 1, would you care for a gin and pinkers". I always said yes, but hated the bloody stuff. He was always a lovely man (typical RN). During the war he was in charge of a flotilla of minesweepers, and as a result knew my father who was skipper of one of the minesweeper's. I seem to recall that he lived in the New Forest following his retirement.
I still find it really interesting to read the posting on this forum, as long forgotten memories keep getting jogged!
cheers everyone

Harry

Tickety was one of a dying breed of Gentlemen. I was second mate with him a couple of times. He always wanted number 2 on the bridge entering port. I believe he was pranged transitting the Elbe. Enjoyed his parties... but it had to be done right. In fact I met my future wife at a party Tickety sanctioned, every one in uniform. taxies arranged for the Nurses etc. I ran into a Sparks who had been on that same trip year later. This guy lived in the New Forest area too, ran in to Tickety in a local Pub and was told by Tickety, "it's late Sparks, time you were in bed !!"

But the bit I liked was he always had his steaming cap on his desk which he quickly slipped over the top of his Gin and bitters when there was a knock on his cabin door... beautiful.

The reason I asked about Safe was I had heard a rumour he ran into trouble in the Persian Gulf and maybe killed in action in the Hormos Straights. Same result i suppose but different circumstances.

ccurtis1
11th October 2009, 21:02
Ron Safe did indeed run into trouble in the Gulf when a missile went straight through the accommodation, fortunately I believe without injury to anyone. I think the company he was with at the time, was the ill fated Gulf East. Ronnie was sacked from that Company, rumour has it, for ordering pork, bacon and alcohol in his stores. Seems the sort of thing he would do

Malcolm Metcalf
12th October 2009, 21:20
The bloody whistle jammed on full blast. I had to run from the midship accommodation to the aft accommodation, up the funnel and stop it by hand.Harry

I sailed on the ``Brooke` Harry and that whistle halyard ran a long long way from the Mid ship house all the way aft to the funnel on the aft housing ( where we kept the engineers :) ) and often stuck in the on position. We tightened it to just the `right spot`with a 2x 2 block and tackle as i recall. My vision of Bloye was slung over the dodger entering port. Entering Vancouver on the Cove one time he came on the bridge in the morning and asked the pilot `who the Hell are you` completley forgetting picking the pilot up at Victoria the night before.

We had a geat party for him in Vancouver when he retired, Seaboard actually berthed us in Vancouver rather than North Vancouver just so tyhey could all get down to the party. George Chivers relieved him stuck his head in the door and told every one enjoy this party it`s your last one !!.... quiet the contrast

Gavin Brown
14th October 2009, 23:30
Roger - Gavin here - I had heard you were looking for me - try me with a private message
best Regards

Gavin Brown
14th October 2009, 23:34
Master was Harrison

Best wishes Chris from Gavin

Malcolm Metcalf
25th October 2009, 04:18
This is part of a book written by the Sparks on the Cove

http://www.philpott.de/Pdf_book/MV%20Silvercove%20(Silverline).pdf

harrywhitelaw
25th October 2009, 16:37
I sailed on the ``Brooke` Harry and that whistle halyard ran a long long way from the Mid ship house all the way aft to the funnel on the aft housing ( where we kept the engineers :) ) and often stuck in the on position. We tightened it to just the `right spot`with a 2x 2 block and tackle as i recall. My vision of Bloye was slung over the dodger entering port. Entering Vancouver on the Cove one time he came on the bridge in the morning and asked the pilot `who the Hell are you` completley forgetting picking the pilot up at Victoria the night before.

We had a geat party for him in Vancouver when he retired, Seaboard actually berthed us in Vancouver rather than North Vancouver just so tyhey could all get down to the party. George Chivers relieved him stuck his head in the door and told every one enjoy this party it`s your last one !!.... quiet the contrast

Had another cracking memory of Captain Bloye (Ticketyboo). The Silverdale was discharging at Swansea. The catering staff were, as usual; all Goanese. As chief officer I was sat with Tickety in the saloon waiting for our individual dinners of steak and kidney pies. The Goanese steward was just about to serve Tickety, when he keeled over and fell flat on his face. Pie went everywhere. (The steward was drunk as a skunk) Tickety looked at me and said in a very posh naval voice"Number one, good god, is that man p***ed!" I just fell about laughing, and yes the steward was p***ed, like a lot of the Goanese when they were in port. All credit to Ticketyboo, as he never logged the steward.
Re-Ronnie Safe getting sacked from Gulf East, I relieved him on that particular ship (MV Carnival). As I walked up the gangway to join the ship, Ronnie was walking down and simply said "good luck Harry". That was the ship handover done on the gangway!!!
I know that Ronnie was sacked for insisting that the chief officer(who was Pakistani) go down the holds to check the cleaning. He refused and then phoned the Pakistani owners (who were based in Switzerland) who promptly sacked Ronnie. In all fairness to Ronnie he was asking the Chief to carry out a legitimate duty. This particular Chief felt he was above such duties and so Ronnie got sacked!
Many more memories, both good and bad. I'll post some more when I can think of them.

Cheers
Harry

ccurtis1
25th October 2009, 17:47
Was Jim Punton the Super then Harry? I think he left Silver Line for Gulf East

Malcolm Metcalf
27th October 2009, 02:04
Had another cracking memory of Captain Bloye (Ticketyboo). The Silverdale was discharging at Swansea. The catering staff were, as usual; all Goanese. As chief officer I was sat with Tickety in the saloon waiting for our individual dinners of steak and kidney pies. The Goanese steward was just about to serve Tickety, when he keeled over and fell flat on his face. Pie went everywhere. (The steward was drunk as a skunk) Harry

Those Goanese stewarts were some thing, We had a feud on the Brooke between the stewart and the butler, the officers saloon had a serving hatch and occassionally the butler would put the plate on the pantry side of the hatch and used to slam the hatch on the stewards hand as he reached for the plate...generally alcolholic induced. Other time they used to chase each other around the aft housing with the curry grinder stone.. drunk as skunks. The apprentices had it down to a tee, stick a foot out trip them and then lock'em up in the deck office! I think tanker did that to you :-)

Hopkins was the Master on the Brooke when i was there. He used to get us to write an essay on your shore side endeavours. Better than Port Said Blues [=P]

Wallyh
28th October 2009, 09:13
Has any one any idea what happened to Jim Moon I last saw him in Cardiff in 1978 we did Mates together

Wally H

litavan
29th October 2009, 11:04
San Pedro - Ivory Coast, re- "BANDAMA" & "TABBO". This was quite a good port to visit in the early days, secure to the buoys and load logs. Can any body remember the beach that we used to visit, hold a BBQ and swim in the warm sea. There was also a bar on top of the hill, i think it was called the "Arso Bar"?? I have been scratching the old brain but unable to remember any of the officers on board, sad when one can't think of old friends. In Abidjan, we used to swim at the French seamans mission down the road from the berths and the agents on occasion used to take some of us off to "Grand Bassam", that was a very nice place to visit.
Vaughan

PeteCarey
31st October 2009, 17:35
I was with Silverline from December '70 until July '74. My first ship, as a deck boy (GP3), was the Silvershore and we sailed to 'Sept Illes' in Canada for Iron Ore in the form of marbles.
Other ships were the eagle, falcon, eid and i'll have to look the others up along with dates in my old log book.

It turns out that I was on the Osprey and not the Falcon

Shore - Newport 12/12/70 - Cardiff 17/(Jun/Jul)71 _ GP3 (Discharge book illegible)

Osprey - Sunderland - Didn't leave port - reduced crew (Aug/Sep 71) _ GP3

Eagle - London 7/10/71 - Rotterdam 26/1/72 _ GP3

Eagle - Immingham 20/3/72 - Tyne & Wear 20/6/72 _ GP3 - GP2

Shore - Cardiff 22/8/72 - Middlesbrough 24/12/72 _ GP2

Eagle - Sunderland 29/1/73 - Rotterdam 27/5/73 _ GP1

Eid - Cardiff 10/7/73 - Dordrecht 23/11/73 _ GP1

Binsness (Silvertweed) - Rotterdam 28/12/73 - East London, South Africa
25/6/74 _ GP1

I also have 5 newsletters in my possesion and am awaiting a response from admin as to whether I can upload them as they total 22MB in size.

PeteCarey
2nd November 2009, 18:16
I am trying to upload 5 newsletters in PDF format but each time I try, the upload fails. Has anyone got any idea how I overcome this problem?

The newsletters contain crew assignments per ship amongst other things and are:-

Jan 71 issue 58 in colour, size 2661KB.
Apr 71 issue 59 in colour, size 4754KB.
Sep 71 issue 60 in colour, size 3583KB.
Sep 72 issue 64 in b/w, size 949KB. This is also available in colour at 5791KB.
Aug 73 issue 68 in b/w, size 797KB. This is also available in colour at 5307KB.

I am informed that there is a 5MB limit in size for a PDF file and a maximum upload of 5 files hence the last 2 being in b/w!

Anyone wanting copies please send me an email.

whitterd
4th November 2009, 11:42
San Pedro - Ivory Coast, re- "BANDAMA" & "TABBO". This was quite a good port to visit in the early days, secure to the buoys and load logs. Can any body remember the beach that we used to visit, hold a BBQ and swim in the warm sea. There was also a bar on top of the hill, i think it was called the "Arso Bar"?? I have been scratching the old brain but unable to remember any of the officers on board, sad when one can't think of old friends. In Abidjan, we used to swim at the French seamans mission down the road from the berths and the agents on occasion used to take some of us off to "Grand Bassam", that was a very nice place to visit.
Vaughan

Hello Vaughan, I didn’t sail on these ships but a very good friend of mine, Roy Costello sailed on them quite a few times, Roy is now working as hospital engineer in Bolton (my old job), I'll let him know about this site and maybe he'll get in touch.
Kind Regards David Whitter

litavan
4th November 2009, 14:25
David - i sailed with Roy a few times, we were on the "Algol" together when we had the fire (1982). He lived near Leigh (Wigan) at the time about 5 miles from me. Would be good to hear from him again.

Vaughan

ChathamChavs
4th November 2009, 21:35
David Whitter-My wife Jan remembers you doing a "clog dance" to an Oldham Tinkers number, possibly accompanied by Chris Jones , 3/O in the bar of the Arapaho in the early 80s, and wonders if it is still your party piece!! Regards Roger

ccurtis1
4th November 2009, 22:14
That wasn't Dave doing a clog dance, that was his normal gait

whitterd
5th November 2009, 10:48
David Whitter-My wife Jan remembers you doing a "clog dance" to an Oldham Tinkers number, possibly accompanied by Chris Jones , 3/O in the bar of the Arapaho in the early 80s, and wonders if it is still your party piece!! Regards Roger

I completely deny taking part in any dancing (clog or otherwise) that may have taken place on any vessel that I may, or may not have sailed on. You are obviously thinking of my much younger slimmer brother!!!

Strange what happens to the body when the Tenant’s kicks in.
(Pint)
And anyway, how is it I only get remembered for singing, dancing and telling stories, why does no one ever comment on my supreme engineering knowledge and calm well structured approach to potentially serious marine catastrophes.
Kind Regards David Whitter.

Andrea Henderson
5th November 2009, 14:20
David - i sailed with Roy a few times, we were on the "Algol" together when we had the fire (1982). He lived near Leigh (Wigan) at the time about 5 miles from me. Would be good to hear from him again.

Vaughan

Hi, can you help me? My dad was Andy Hunter, died in fire on the Algol 1982.
I was 17 at the time and never really knew what happened. Can you give me any information on what happened and what you (or anyone else) can remember about him? Would mean so much to me as I still miss him all these years later.
Many thanks,
Andrea Henderson (nee Hunter)

whitterd
5th November 2009, 14:49
I was 17 at the time and never really knew what happened. Can you give me any information on what happened and what you (or anyone else) can remember about him? Would mean so much to me as I still miss him all these years later.
Many thanks,

Hello Andrea,
I sailed with your dad on my very first trip to sea January 1975 - MV Silverfjord. I remember Andy as really nice guy; he was great with me, a young first tripper very home sick and very naive. I was very upset on hearing of the Algol fire and particularly your father’s fate. I know a number of the people that were present on the ship and I am sure they will get in touch in due course. I will pass on your request.
Kind Regards David Whitter

borderreiver
5th November 2009, 18:23
Hi Andrea
I also sailed with your dad a few times. Great guy.Helped me out when I had a bit of anchor chain in the eye.
rgds
Chris James

Andrea Henderson
5th November 2009, 22:15
Thanks Chris and David,
It's great to know my dad is remembered. I would be so grateful if you could
pass on my request for any information to anyone who knew him.
Kind regards,
Andrea

litavan
6th November 2009, 03:06
Andrea,

I was the 3/0 on board the "Algol" when we had the fire. You're dads cabin was just down the corridor from me. He was as i remember an excellent Chief Steward, always willing to listen to people and was a much liked character on board. A fine fella and really a popular man on board.

Vaughan

Roy Costello
6th November 2009, 22:45
Hi Niall

Do you remember me? We met up in Urmston Manchester

Roy

Roy Costello
6th November 2009, 22:52
Interesting.
Silverweir visited my port (Astoria, Oregon) in Feb 1968, I think it had a Chinese crew then, but I'm not sure about that. I can most assuredly say that the Silversea in Oct 1968 and the Silverbeach in Jan 1969 both had Chinese crews when they called. The Silverdon called twice in 1976, my foggy memory is of an all-UK crew, but I won't lay money on that.
Hi Eric

I was on the Silverdon in Astoria. Spent about week there and yes it was a Chinese crew. Remember going to a Moose Club?

Roy Costello

Roy Costello
6th November 2009, 23:00
Many thanks,
Hi Andrea

Yes I knew your dad from the Algol. I was the third engineer and still remember the fire. You had a great dad and he spent time with everyone a genuine man.

Roy

Roy Costello
6th November 2009, 23:07

Vaughan
Hi Vaughan

Met up with Dave Whitter today and he ren though this site. Never reliased it existed. I live in Aspull near Wigan. I now work at a couple of private hospitals in Bolton and Blackburn. Were do you live these days?

Roy

tunatownshipwreck
6th November 2009, 23:37
Hi Eric

I was on the Silverdon in Astoria. Spent about week there and yes it was a Chinese crew. Remember going to a Moose Club?

Roy Costello

Hi Roy
The Moose Club was members-only for tax reasons, but they were pretty open to visitors, or you could also get in as a guest of a member. I was later a part of a community theater group, and the Moose Club was the friendliest place we performed at, free pork chop dinner and a sociable bunch.
I think their house beer was Lucky Lager or Miller.

Roy Costello
7th November 2009, 21:56
Hi Pete

I also have a few of the old Silver Line News Letters. In fact 15 from No 82 May 1978 to No 96 March 1982. Some great pictures and stories. Don't have a clue how to up load them.

Roy

Roy Costello
7th November 2009, 23:19
Hi Chris
Reading this reminded me of my first ship onThe Slivershore. I was very green to the ways of the world and I joined her in Glasgow opposite Betty's Bar. I was one of three junior engineers can't remember who they were but I do remember being on the 4 to 8 with 2/

Roy Costello
7th November 2009, 23:32
Sorry Chris
Pressed the wrong button - should have done this earlier! The 2/E was Joe Towns and we stood on the open plates at the bottom of the engine room. She had an Doxford opposed engine. Anyway every half hour or so there would be a loud bang and as you looked up though the different decks you could see the donkey man leaning over the rails looking like the Black & White minstrels. I believe his name was Flash Back Jack.

Roy

degsy
8th November 2009, 07:54
Many thanks,

Hi Andrea
I was with your Dad on the Silverfjord, as others have told you he was a genuine Guy, always a smile and a joke. I remember him telling me about him moving from Carrickfergus to, I think it was Cheshire or North Wales, memories not to good nowadays. I was working ashore when I heard of your Dad's death it came as a hell of a shock. As I think most sea-farers will agree, we remember the Ships but not all of the Men we have sailed with, to use a Scouse expression " Your owld fellah was unforgettable "

litavan
8th November 2009, 13:11
Hi Vaughan

Met up with Dave Whitter today and he ren though this site. Never reliased it existed. I live in Aspull near Wigan. I now work at a couple of private hospitals in Bolton and Blackburn. Were do you live these days?

Roy

Hello Roy,

its been a long time since i last heard from you. Working hard for these private hospitals then. I'm now living and working in Singapore, married to a young (well 10 years younger) Indonesian lass for the last 13 years. Enjoying life to the full, dealing with casualty work - groundings, sinkings and that sort of thing. I see you have some of the old Silverline monthly mags, i used to have quite a number, but all appear to have been lost after my divorce back in 95. If the crew listing is still with the magazine, then you can easliy post numerous names for us all to see, bring back memories of old friends from the past. Keep in touch.

Vaughan