Number 1 Jetty Isle of Grain ... remember this bloke?

barnsey
23rd February 2009, 02:55
I have just had a look for the thread where we mentioned thise jetty operator ... going through some BP Fleet news for that Canadian mate of ours ... yup, that Wallace bloke !!! I came across this so scanned it for you lot ....

(A)

R58484956
23rd February 2009, 12:57
A very interesting story, never had that on Cunard.

Graham Wallace
24th February 2009, 01:38
I have just had a look for the thread where we mentioned thise jetty operator ... going through some BP Fleet news for that Canadian mate of ours ... yup, that Wallace bloke !!! I came across this so scanned it for you lot ....

(A)

Hey David, if it would be of some help or recompense I can dig out my Old Man's 1916 Boy Scout bugle and give it a go.

Probably needs a good polish up first tho. It not me!

I spent a blessed 12 months at IOG refinery 1957/58 and 4 weeks was working on the jetties, never came across any 'person' like that in my time. The operators would have got rid of him quickly, destroying their peace and quiet!

Yup, BP in their wisdom decided 1955 Engineering Apprentices could spend a valuable 12 months at IOG.
I see in later years the same wisdom did wonderful things for fleet morale.

Graham

trevflstn
25th February 2009, 11:09
Remember him well from the seventies. Quite a character to say the least. There was a rumour that there was a certain bugle call that meant the customs black gang were on their way down to the jetties giving a bit of extra notice of their arrival to anybody who needed it. If the rumour is true nobody ever told me what the signal was.

kevjacko
7th March 2009, 07:38
Anybody remember the Cat & Cracker pub at the IOG and was it the Hogarth just further along? Had a few good runs ashore there.

derekhore
7th March 2009, 08:49
Anybody remember the Cat & Cracker pub at the IOG and was it the Hogarth just further along? Had a few good runs ashore there.

Indeed, used to get the jetty bus up to the Mission at the main gate, then after a couple in there, on the the 'Cats knackers' in Grain village!

chrishandel
7th March 2009, 09:02
Have a look on Google Earth. The whole place is gone and there is a container port called Thamesport now. I sailed with a third mate who had been banned for life from the 'Cat Knackers'.

derekhore
7th March 2009, 17:48
Have a look on Google Earth. The whole place is gone and there is a container port called Thamesport now. I sailed with a third mate who had been banned for life from the 'Cat Knackers'.

Flippin' heck ... what did he do??
I cannot think of anything that could earn a ban from that place!!

:)

chrishandel
8th March 2009, 21:17
Something to do with a very large quantity of beer, his mouth and an aspidistra if I recall correctly

JohnBP
22nd March 2009, 19:48
Do you remember the "customes guys" that would lurk in the Cat's Knacker" with their half pints that lasted a whole night, just listning for some tips on who was bringing what from where on what ship.... they never figured out the false compressor bottle set at 300 PSI that actually had 500 cigs inside....

OllieUK
22nd March 2009, 22:54
500 ciggys wow that was smuggling bigtime in those days... just kidding with you sir.. spent a very good few years in the early 70's on the Kestrel sailing in and out of Grain. happy memories! [=P]

joller6
1st September 2009, 00:05
Hi to all that have posted on this IOG Topic!

Now i am wondering if someone out there may be able to assist me in this!
I am looking for the names of the BT Tankers that would have been Sailing from there in the very late 1961 to early 1962! I know there may have been quite a few,but am hoping that it could be narowed down somehow!
Mnay thanks for any info that may be forthcoming on this!
Cheers
joller6

Jon Vincent
1st September 2009, 02:11
Back to original thread, the "Mad Bugler", he got me into a world of hurt as he had a running fued with a deck super, can't remember his name, ex Master/Ch Off Br Dragoon, any way while visiting the "ESK" where I was C/O he let down the tires on his jag, I copped the blame and had a nasty interview with Capt Pond regarding unsociable behaviour, Capt Alan Richardson thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Mick farmer
1st September 2009, 23:33
Hi to all that have posted on this IOG Topic!

Now i am wondering if someone out there may be able to assist me in this!
I am looking for the names of the BT Tankers that would have been Sailing from there in the very late 1961 to early 1962! I know there may have been quite a few,but am hoping that it could be narowed down somehow!
Mnay thanks for any info that may be forthcoming on this!
Cheers
joller6

British Birch was in IOG 9 times from oct 26th 1961 to April 9th 1962

regards

Mick

barnsey
2nd September 2009, 00:05
British Power 42,000 was in in 1962

TonyR
2nd September 2009, 00:43
Paid Off British Oak 15th Sept 1961 at IOG

John_F
2nd September 2009, 10:55
Joller,
British Patriot was in Grain twice in March 1962.
Kind regards,
John.

brooksy
2nd September 2009, 18:55
Cat and Cracker is no more.Demolished about 7 or 8 years ago.Now has a few houses built on the site.The remains of some of the jetties are still there between the seawall and Thamesports new quay.All though they are now fading you can still see the names of some great ships painted on them.Bought back some great memories of my time with BP whilst working at Thamesport

pensioner
2nd September 2009, 22:28
The name of Cat and Cracker was only new as a homage to the coming of BP, not their Men!!!. Being born and bred in Lower Stoke, I can remember the original name "The Cock", being a visitor from the age of 5. Maybe there is a name assimilation there??.(Jester) (Jester)
It must have been something very drastic to get a life long ban from there. Anybody remember IVY's Pub.

rgds

barnsey
2nd September 2009, 22:43
Has the world gone mad up there in what was Merry England? The Cat and Cracker DEMOLISHED !!!!

The sign hanging outside was a Cat arching its back ... tail in the air as a firework Cracker went off as I remember .... mind we didn't look too closely going in as a beer was more important and coming out .... who in the hell cared? ..... until now!!!

I wouldnt have thought it had anything to do with BP and maybe just word association with a Catalystic Cracker at the refinery ...

joller6
2nd September 2009, 23:54
Thank you all for the responses
A great help indeed!
Cheers

brooksy
3rd September 2009, 20:17
Was led to believe he was an ex royal marine.Have heard storys that he used to blow his bugle as RN ships were passing and causing havoc aboard them.Do not know how true that was.

kevjacko
5th September 2009, 09:42
Aw that's a shame about the Cat & Cracker, another one to strike off the nostalgia tour if I ever get down to that neck of the woods again. Is the Hogarth still there ?

brooksy
5th September 2009, 11:35
Hogarth still there and going strong.Only watering hole in the village

7woodlane
5th September 2009, 15:19
The name of Cat and Cracker was only new as a homage to the coming of BP, not their Men!!!. Being born and bred in Lower Stoke, I can remember the original name "The Cock", being a visitor from the age of 5. Maybe there is a name assimilation there??.(Jester) (Jester)
It must have been something very drastic to get a life long ban from there. Anybody remember IVY's Pub.

rgds

Hello I remember Ivy's pub, the Ship Inn in Lower Hoo, a short ride from IOG
It seemed to be a family run affair with her husband Fred, the complete opposite of Ivy who was always cheerful, and their daughter, her name escapes me. If it is the same place I remember the pub sign was a Thames barge on one side, and a BP tanker on the other. We were in and out of IOG all the time and needless to say in and out of the Ship. Had some good times there. All this was back in 1957 on mv Assurity running to Teesport and back.
David Whitehead.

pensioner
5th September 2009, 22:14
Hi David(A)
You are almost right in your info. The Ship was Ivy's pub, Fred was her husband, although he seemed standoffish he was in fact a well educated man, being an ex-chemist for Berry Wiggin, the next refinary up the Medway and very sporty in his time. As for there daughter that would make both Ivy and Fred laugh, as she was almost there age, her name was Mary and she owned the Shoeshop next to the Nag's Head I went to school with her son. Sadly Ivy and Fred are no longer with us, I'm not sure about Mary.(Jester) (Jester)

rgds

jmirvine
9th September 2009, 21:42
I'm sad to hear that the "Cat's knackers" has gone. Had many a good night in there. I also remember finding a nice pub in Allhallows, "Rose and Crown" I seem to remember. Had a few good nights in there as well.

pensioner
9th September 2009, 22:38
Hi Jm!!
I know the Rose & Crown well, used to deliver papers there every day, pub was well attended before any weddings as it was only a stumble to the church the other side of the road. I believe from my local relatives this is on dodgy grounds, some developer want to build houses on the site; weddings will never be the same - SOBER URGGGHH!(Cloud) (Cloud) (Cloud)

rgds

Old Janner
10th September 2009, 04:29
Hi Pensioner, I used to live next door but one to the Rose and Crown, back in 68 / 69, If I remember right it was in Stoke Road. Had some good times in the pub, not many of the shipping fraternity used it in those days. My Son was christened accross the road in the Church.
In those days when we first moved in we were told to buy matches and candles and have a small gass cooker. Good advice, winter time was always blackouts and Alhallows was often cut off when we had snow.
Good place for me, when I was shore side ch/stwd with BP, during the daylight I could see the ship coming into the channel and new that I had 45 minutes to get down to the Jetty, and normally walk on board with the customs.
Some comment made earlier about the black gangs at IOG, Customs boarding officers were a good bunch been there for years and could arrange things !
The Bugler if on duty would phone the next jetty if the Black Gang had finished one ship and were on the way down the jettys to the next ship.
Black gangs normally travelled in Dark Blue Cortinas, came from Gravesend, Southend (training School) and the Mobile from Dover, they were the worst.
Search the jetty office, Jetty opperators, stop anybody walking down the jetty and stop you at the gate on the way out, sometimes a Mine field, then for weeks you would never see them.
The Bugler I knew well as he always wanted something and knew my links with the Catr / Offs, so he was not frightened to ask.
Spent many cold days and nights loading stores on our ships, from the Knights barge on board by the crane tug Knighton.Not only the groceries and Beer, but paint, liners, Wires and ropes,even Anchors.
Good days.

Spence.

pensioner
10th September 2009, 22:11
Hi Spence.
I'm suprised to here you lived in Allhallows. I used to visit the Crown occaisionally when home. You probably know the Mason's; Betty married Geoff Mortley and ran the White Horse at Upper Stoke also the Kemsley's, Austin's (my relations), Oliver's, Solly's and my uncle Burt Russell he had his own chair by the wall in the public bar and died at 92yrs, after a night at the Crown. I used to deliver papers in the village until I started work?? in 1959. I think that Tug Wilson was still the local Constable in 68/69. The family living next to the Crown were of Irish origin. (Jester) (Jester)
regds

Old Janner
12th September 2009, 02:57
Used to live in the middle of the first new terrace house built next to the Rose and Crown, there were two blocks of two road in the center that went up to our garage spaces at the back (Castle estates built them) my cetre one was three bedrooms , bathroom, entrance hall kitchen, living / dinning room, garden at the frnt and the back also the garage, all for GBP 4,500 new, inside rooms painted with emulsion to suit the client and oil fired cenral heating. As a BP contract man I had a discount on our oil supply's.

Rose and Crown have a few photos some place of the landlord and his wife, who used to have a small white dog. Yea I remember the public bar and the fire. Also the local polieman though did not remeber his name, he was around when the door was shut and the curtains drawn, lights dimmed for a few drinks after hours. We were there for four years maybe five.
Once the we had children it was a bit of a burden getting the bus into Chatham or the daily bus to Gravesend, all round the houses past Cooling Castel, expensive if you missed it on the way back, I think a Taxi then from Gravesend to Alhallows was about GBP 3.50.
I bought my first car from my neighbor, column change ford cortina GBP 100 which ran well for a couple of years.

I used to walk down to the white horse for a few pints in the summer, good crown of local, once they knew you.
Also me and the wife would walk down to the post office in Stoke, remember the butcher shop in Stoke, where you could buy the best pork sausages? people came from miles to buy them.
These days people don't seem to walk anywhere.

Spence.

pensioner
12th September 2009, 21:56
Hi again Spence.
Yes I certainly remember the Butcher's, both Roy and his father Dan Stopps, people would come down from London for his sausages. When the shop was sold a butcher from Godmersham bouht thier recipe. When I and my cousins were kids it was a Sunday treat to go round the yard at the back of the shop and see them slaugter the Beef, Monday Sheep & Tuesday Pigs. Dan always tried to buy the Best in Show Beef, at the Kent Show, he would keep it at my step grandfathers farm and would slaughter it for his regular customers at Christmas. Irrespective of the cost he never charged more than the normal going rate for it. I can just remember the Post Office as a combined Bakery/Post Office, but only just, my mother used to tell me that during the depression the villagers would take their Sunday Roast there and have it cooked in the bread oven. Those were the days. By your directions I think you must have lived in the houses built at the back of the Crown, near the new Village Hall, in what was the farmyard for Baytree Farm. The policeman's name was Wilsonhe originally lived in Stoke Road, 4 doors away from the Crown until a new house was built for him in Binney Road.

rgds

stuart