Houlders History

ALAN TYLER
27th February 2009, 12:52
I went to a Maritime exhibition at my local village hall on Sunday, and to my great suprise came away with a book titled, " One Hundred Years Of Houlders" It covers 1849 to 1950 this period is well before my time (1969 to 1986). It was compiled by Edward F. Stevens and printed by the Mendip press London & Bath, no ISBN.
Does anyone know if theres been a book printed of the years after 1950? If there is I,m sure it would be of interest not only to myself but all of ex Houlders personnel.

MARINEJOCKY
27th February 2009, 13:19
I went to a Maritime exhibition at my local village hall on Sunday, and to my great suprise came away with a book titled, " One Hundred Years Of Houlders" It covers 1849 to 1950 this period is well before my time (1969 to 1986). It was compiled by Edward F. Stevens and printed by the Mendip press London & Bath, no ISBN.
Does anyone know if theres been a book printed of the years after 1950? If there is I,m sure it would be of interest not only to myself but all of ex Houlders personnel.

Hi Alan,

I have one book titled "Furness-Houlder Lines" by Norman L. Middlemass and printed by Shields Publications Ltd.

Another book is titled "Hadley" by W.J.Harvey and printed by The Amadeus Press Ltd.

Regards, Malcolm Elliott, Houlders 1970 to 1980

Tiger1
27th February 2009, 13:45
(A) i am looking for any information about m.v.Queensbury as my husband sailed on her from 1954 - March 1956. Would love to hear from anyone who sailed on her at that time. Jean collins Tiger 1

Ron Stringer
27th February 2009, 18:36
Tiger1,

Click on this address http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=19584&highlight=Queensbury. You can also click on the 'Search Forums' button on the upper right-hand of the page and enter Queensbury to get a listing of various postings on this site.

Good Luck

marinero
27th February 2009, 20:26

Hi Alan & Malcom.
I also have the book "100 Years of Houlders" I also have the book "Furness-Houlder Lines" signed by the author. N.L.Middlemiss. I went to his house to collect it. The book to get Alan is "Furness Withy 1891-1991" by David Burrell which covers the later years of Houlder Bros. as a constituent company. I don't know of a one covering Houlders specifically from 1950, maybe Tonga may know of one. Malcom, Norman Middlemiss was a member of the Tyneside branch of the WSS as was Mr. Hill (Ch.Eng Supt.)
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

non descript
27th February 2009, 21:40
Gentlemen, it seems that Leo gives me credit where none is due, for in truth I trail in the wake of others when knowing about Houlders and their history, but I thank him for his kindness. Yes, the book by Edward Stevens of 1950 was a courageous effort and has a lot of useful pointers as does Norman Middlemiss’s book. The latter of course makes amends for having to include the ‘Other Company’s’ name on the cover, by also having on the cover a picture of that wonderful ship in the Ocean Transport (Jester). The most useful book is that by David Burrell. The only other source of quality information that I am aware of, is the Ships In Focus magazines of John Clarkson.
(Thumb)
Mark

ALAN TYLER
28th February 2009, 12:56
Hi Leo, Thanks for the info on the books, i,ll try to look them out. Had a suprise visit from Bob Whittaker last week, great to have a good old natter. We,re going to meet up again when the weather improves. He only lives 30 miles away!! All the Best Alan.

ALAN TYLER
29th March 2009, 17:16
Hi Leo,
Managed to get a copy of the David Burrell book today, looks very interesting. Hopefully I,ll get time to read it on the flight to Canada in a couple of weeks. Off to see the grandaughter!! Trust alls well in your neck of the woods.
Regards Alan.

non descript
29th March 2009, 18:12
Alan,
To save you sitting up with a jolt in your seat 2A, just as Miss Canada 2008 brings you a second Gin & Tonic, please be aware that this almost faultless book, has a picture on Cyril Warwick on page 147, but curiously he is named as Frank Charlton.
Enjoy the flight (and the book)
(Thumb)
Mark

marinero
29th March 2009, 20:26
Hi Leo,
Managed to get a copy of the David Burrell book today, looks very interesting. Hopefully I,ll get time to read it on the flight to Canada in a couple of weeks. Off to see the grandaughter!! Trust alls well in your neck of the woods.
Regards Alan.

Hi Alan.
Didn't take you long to get a hold of the book. Enjoy your time in Canada. Whereabouts in Canada are you going as I have family over there too? As Tonga, says be careful of the lovely stewardesses bringing you fine wines and gin & tonics.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
5th April 2009, 18:32
Alan,
To save you sitting up with a jolt in your seat 2A, just as Miss Canada 2008 brings you a second Gin & Tonic, please be aware that this almost faultless book, has a picture on Cyril Warwick on page 147, but curiously he is named as Frank Charlton.
Enjoy the flight (and the book)
(Thumb)
Mark

Hi Mark, This all a bit spooky, We,ve pre-booked our seats, and guess what its 2A and 2B!!! As for Miss Canada I,m usually happy with anyone who serves me with my vino (don,t like G&T). After looking briefly at the book it sure looks an interesting for me to pass the hours away. Alan

ALAN TYLER
5th April 2009, 18:38
Hi Leo, We,re flying to Calgary and then down to Medicine Hat!! where the family are living. Hope to get up to Banff and the Rockies and possibly over the border into the States as its only about an hours drive. Alan

stequantum
11th April 2009, 15:14
Hi Alan what ships were you on and what did you do only ask this as your name rings a bell

ALAN TYLER
14th April 2009, 12:37
Hi Alan what ships were you on and what did you do only ask this as your name rings a bellThis* just* the* Houlders* ships...Joya McCance,Clyde Bridge (2) Oreosa (2), Cerinthus (2) Furness Bridge, Stolt Tudor, Mabel Warwick, Humboldt and the Hardwicke Grange 1969/75. Then Offshore with Houlders till 1986, Ch/Cook and Ch/Stwd.
Regards Alan.

Ken Berry
10th June 2009, 04:53
Hi Alan,
I was wondering if you can help me I am trying to find a photo of the "B.T" as she was the Merchant Ship WW1 that sank the U-49 for me.My G/dad was 3rd Engineer on the "S.S.Sagamore" and only 1 of 7 survivors,after spending 9 days in a lifeboat,17 originally in the lifeboat,but 10 had died when the Blus Funnel S.S.Deucalion picked them up,on the 12th March 1917.The U-49 had torpedoed the "Sagamore 3rd March 1917.The "Deucalion" had disembarked them at Capetown and 5 of them had to have their feet amputated immediately due to frost bite and gangrene.My G/dad ended up by having numerous operations up to 1922.Ending up with his limbs amputated just up to his knees.He was supported by everyone and family but unfortunately didn't cope and became a Chronoc alcoholic and when my Nan his wife died of a broken heart my Mum always said.Her 3 brothers and 2 sisters came and lived with My Mum,Dad,Me and My dads Dad he was Captain Alfred Edward Berry on the "Bramley Moore" his wife Minnie had died 5 months after I was born.
I haven't been able to find a photo of the "British Transport" or her sister ship the "Indian Transport".I am doing my family history for all my New Zealand Family and am getting a bit of a hurry up as I'm getting close to my best used by date.If you don't know the story of the sinking of the U-49 I have an account of it.The Captain was awarded the DSO,plus a Commission in the R.N.V.R as a Lieut.Two Lookouts were awarded medals as well.Hope you may be able to help me.I do have a good Epsom Scanner.You may have picked I'm a "Scouse Git" and sailed with the N.Z.S.Co for 4 years.Brought a new coaster out from Holland to NZ to get married.Marriage was delayed twiice as we were frozen in the Canal for a couple of months.Offered the Chiefs Job on arrival but the wife to be gave me no options swallow anchor or permament wedding cancellation.Married 53 years,if I had taken the job i'd have been feeding the fishes and in Davy Jones Locker as she foundered about 18 months later.Taking all the crew with her.Wise Lady My wife.Thank You for reading my rambling on's Best Regards Ken Berry

ALAN TYLER
14th June 2009, 14:10
Hi Ken,
Unfortunately I don,t have a picture of the B.T. but I have a copy of the Indian Transport. Unfortunately my computer skills are not what they should be to e-mail it to you!! If you send me your address by e-mail or private message I will gladly send you a copy.
Regards Alan

ALAN TYLER
3rd July 2009, 13:01
Just been to the local maritime exhibition again. I bought a book " Sea Hazard" 1939-1945 it was published by Houlders for private circulation. Printed by The Journal of Commerce and Shipping Telegraph. Basically tells the story of Houlders ships engaged with enemy aircraft/submarines etc in the 2nd W.W. 15 Ships were sunk, the Imperial Transport torpedoed twice and repaired it being one of five ships to survive throughout the war.
Each of the ships and its record is recorded seperately, I,m sure I will enjoy reading the book though with a heavy heart, and private thought to all who lost their lives.

ALAN TYLER
3rd July 2009, 13:08
Also at the exhibition there was a copy of Norman Middlemass,s book Furness - Houlder Lines for sale if anyones interested get in touch with Robert Butterworth email... (PM me for his address) he also has a good collection of photo,s of Houlders ships.

marinero
4th July 2009, 11:41
Just been to the local maritime exhibition again. I bought a book " Sea Hazard" 1939-1945 it was published by Houlders for private circulation. Printed by The Journal of Commerce and Shipping Telegraph. Basically tells the story of Houlders ships engaged with enemy aircraft/submarines etc in the 2nd W.W. 15 Ships were sunk, the Imperial Transport torpedoed twice and repaired it being one of five ships to survive throughout the war.
Each of the ships and its record is recorded seperately, I,m sure I will enjoy reading the book though with a heavy heart, and private thought to all who lost their lives.
Hi Alan.
I have been trying to get a copy of "Sea Hazard" for some time but to no avail. It's a bit awkward living out here.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
5th July 2009, 17:00
Hi Leo, I,ll email Robert and ask him to look out for a copy of " Sea Hazard" for. Though he did say it was rare book to get hold of, still you never know.
All the Best Alan

K urgess
5th July 2009, 19:38
There are a couple of copies on www.abebooks.co.uk (http://www.abebooks.co.uk) but you may not like the prices.
Cheers

marinero
6th July 2009, 11:24
Good Morning Kris/Alan.
Many thanks for the info, may I say that Providence has stepped in and a copy of "Sea Hazard" has been procured.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
10th July 2009, 21:18
If anyone out there would like a copy of " Sea Hazard" my contact has one for sale at £18 + p&p, please let me know as soon as possible if you,re interested.
Alan T.

ALAN TYLER
1st August 2009, 14:09
If anyone out there would like a copy of " Sea Hazard" my contact has one for sale at £18 + p&p, please let me know as soon as possible if you,re interested.
Alan T.

Sorry to say this copy of the book has now been purchased.
Alan T.

non descript
1st August 2009, 18:36
Sorry to say this copy of the book has now been purchased.
Alan T.

And if anyone on here or elsewhere would like to know of a bookseller I would personally recommend as being 100pct worthwhile and honest, and in passing another one who I would NOT trust as far as the door – on the basis that he cashed my cheque but the book failed to arrive, do not hesitate to ask. I would hate anyone to suffer the same disappointment as I did…..(Cloud)

ALAN TYLER
10th August 2009, 14:12
And if anyone on here or elsewhere would like to know of a bookseller I would personally recommend as being 100pct worthwhile and honest, and in passing another one who I would NOT trust as far as the door – on the basis that he cashed my cheque but the book failed to arrive, do not hesitate to ask. I would hate anyone to suffer the same disappointment as I did…..(Cloud)

Just to back Tonga up on this one, I know the good bookseller and have dealt with him personally, gladly pass his details on in a PM.

non descript
13th August 2009, 13:40
Just to back Tonga up on this one, I know the good bookseller and have dealt with him personally, gladly pass his details on in a PM.

Thanks Alan, yes he was very decent and he restored my faith in human nature (Thumb) .. unlike the other odd character, who now has my money but I do not have his (my) book (Cloud)

Ken Berry
11th September 2009, 12:49
Hi Alan,
My Humble Apologies Alan,I had lost your letter and just found it and then a few minutes ago I browsed Nostalgia and up comes your name.I Thank You for sending me the two photos and the wee story about the B,I,I hope I can do the same for you ASAP.Yes Wellington is quite windy,but I think it all originates north of the Bombay Hills,"Auckland".Must admit our summers have changed since I swallowed the Anchor.May 1956.Good job as I'd have been feeding the fishes.I brought a small coaster mv Holmglen out.She foundered 18 months or so later taking the crew with her.Only recovered three bodies.
She went down after leaving Timaru and about 25 miles out of the Heads.She has been dived on a couple of times but is only for experienced divers.I was hoping to do it a couple of years ago but got past my "best used by date"
Son in Law is hoping to do it shortly.She is sitting bolt upright at just forgotten think its 190ft.So its a mixed gas dive and dry suit.You wouldn't know Wellington now it is Very,Very modern.The Harbour is busy if it has more than 3 ships in.Not like before containerisation 20 - 30.Keep in touch if you feel like.Best Regards and Thanks once again Ken B

ALAN TYLER
17th September 2009, 15:26
Hi Alan,
My Humble Apologies Alan,I had lost your letter and just found it and then a few minutes ago I browsed Nostalgia and up comes your name.I Thank You for sending me the two photos and the wee story about the B,I,I hope I can do the same for you ASAP.Yes Wellington is quite windy,but I think it all originates north of the Bombay Hills,"Auckland".Must admit our summers have changed since I swallowed the Anchor.May 1956.Good job as I'd have been feeding the fishes.I brought a small coaster mv Holmglen out.She foundered 18 months or so later taking the crew with her.Only recovered three bodies.
She went down after leaving Timaru and about 25 miles out of the Heads.She has been dived on a couple of times but is only for experienced divers.I was hoping to do it a couple of years ago but got past my "best used by date"
Son in Law is hoping to do it shortly.She is sitting bolt upright at just forgotten think its 190ft.So its a mixed gas dive and dry suit.You wouldn't know Wellington now it is Very,Very modern.The Harbour is busy if it has more than 3 ships in.Not like before containerisation 20 - 30.Keep in touch if you feel like.Best Regards and Thanks once again Ken B

Glad you got the info okay Ken, sorry to hear about the Holmglen. It would be good if your son in law could get to dive to her. Hope that doesn,t sound macabre. Take care of yourself and if theres anything else i can help with just e-mail/p/m me
Regards Alan