help to identify officers ranks in photo

robwag
1st March 2009, 13:45
can anyone help me to identify these officers ranks

K urgess
1st March 2009, 13:51
The groom hasn't got a Merch cap badge so probably RN before 1953. No rank visible.
The other uniform is MN with one ring could be third mate but it looks very thin and may have a backing colour.

Hugh MacLean
1st March 2009, 15:47
Groom's cap badge looks like a petty officer, RN but strangely no branch badge on his right arm.
Regards

Peter4447
1st March 2009, 17:04
Could he be an Articifer?
Peter4447

JimC
1st March 2009, 17:30
can anyone help me to identify these officers ranks

I think the Groom is an RN P.O. (3 buttons - fouled anchor on cap badge and no sleeve insignia) and the best Man is either a junior engineer or 3rd.Mate. in the MN. He has an MN cap badge. I canr see if there is a loop or diamond in the ring on his leeve . If he was an engineer it would have a mauve beside the gold lace. If a lecky it would be green.

andysk
5th March 2009, 11:03
I think the Groom is an RN P.O. (3 buttons - fouled anchor on cap badge and no sleeve insignia) and the best Man is either a junior engineer or 3rd.Mate. in the MN. He has an MN cap badge. I canr see if there is a loop or diamond in the ring on his leeve . If he was an engineer it would have a mauve beside the gold lace. If a lecky it would be green.

Uncertified Jun Eng or 4th or 3rd mate - when certificated did they not have a loop or diamond above the ring ?

MikeK
5th March 2009, 11:07
There is something showing on his (the groom's) lapel, just above the brides arm, could that be an apprentice/midshipmans gold button hole - or were there two I forget

Mike

AncientBrit
5th March 2009, 11:37
Think that is part of the brides dress. A Mid's button and flash would be just below the level of tie knot and he would have the "snotty" buttons on cuff.
Cap badge looks too big to be PO, RN who would definately have gold branch badge on right arm, and lacks gold wreath around anchor of a CPO, who would also have three buttons around cuff.
Best man/ brides brother definately MN. Groom could be bus conductor, airline employee, anything. Not necessarilly naval.

chadburn
5th March 2009, 11:50
Groom is in my view a P.O. Tiffy, six buttons as opposed to eight. Best Man, Junior Eng and not Deck as he looks awkward in uniform(Jester) One possibly did National Service and one went M.N.

robwag
5th March 2009, 18:58
hi everyone

thanks all for you help and replies.

my mum owns these's photos but dont know who is in them.
all she knows is her grandad (thomas stewart b-1886) served in the merchant navy and died at sea.
my mums brother seems to think that thomas was a captain.

all i know for sure is from thomas's marriage certificate.which took place at south shields in 1906
this certificate says thomas was aged 20,profession was mariner (merchant service)

call me dum cos i know nothing about the navies.
but would there be some sort of enrolment register?
i have looked at the war commonwealth war graves web site and cant find anything on thomas's death.
all that tells me is that he cant have died during either world wars.

these photos were taken in south shields,so i'm hoping the mn man is my great grandad.
also here's another photo of the groom for yous to look at.

Richard C
5th March 2009, 20:18
Hi
I think you can be fairly confident that looking at the style of dress in the two photos that they wern`t taken in 1906----looks more like thirties style to me

Richard

andysk
5th March 2009, 20:32
Hi
I think you can be fairly confident that looking at the style of dress in the two photos that they wern`t taken in 1906----looks more like thirties style to me

Richard

or even the late 40's or 1950's

chadburn
6th March 2009, 10:55
Before making my comment I looked at the photo to try and determine the period and I would tend to agree with andysk, late 40's early 50's, the Chap on the left looks like he may be wearing his old de-mob suit, these suits went on to last for years but always smelt of Mothballs after a period of "lay-up" in the utility Wardrobes which were made out of any wood available including old packing cases, unless you had Cedar lined ones of course!!

robwag
6th March 2009, 19:00
hi

in that photo, when you said the man on the left is wearing a demob suit
do you mean the older chap on the left?
if so that would make sense.

i found a marriage record for an albert stewart in 1944
which i know me grandad had a brother called albert.
so this could be his wedding.also me grandad had another brother called thomas.he could be the bestman.
so if the older man on the left is also mn.he could be me great grandad.

chadburn
7th March 2009, 11:16
robwag, that's correct, Chap who is 2nd left in the main photo. Although if he was M.N. not ex R.N. he would most probably not have been issued with a "de-mob" suit unless he aquired one from another source as his "going ashore" suit. Best of luck in your search I would be interested to know when this wedding actually took place.