ships crew members-RFAs

CEYLON220
6th March 2009, 09:30
Where can I obtain a crew list from the shipping office that the crew of the RFA RESURGENT signed on for the period 1958/60,any leads would be helpful.

Lancastrian
6th March 2009, 09:52
I would think your only hope is these people -
Registry Of Shipping & Seaman (http://www.mcga.gov.uk/)
www.mcga.gov.uk

Anchor Court
Keen Rd, Cardiff, CF24 5JW
029 20448800
Get directions (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GFRD_en&num=100&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,16900950230873535372&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&dq=Shipping+Registry+Cardiff&daddr=Anchor+Court,+Keen+Rd,+Cardiff,+CF24+5JW&geocode=8038202667233935757,51.478014,-3.159970&ei=WPGwSd6hOeS1jAfStPn0BQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=directions-to)

Not much hope of getting such information from the RFA as our personnel records were apparently moved to Canada for unknown reasons!

gil mayes
6th March 2009, 10:20
Go to www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlist.php there you will find details of how to obtain the info that you require. They are not cheap, but in my experiance the service is very thorough and accurate. It was either Newfoundland or ditch, Lacastrian.
Gil.

Lancastrian
6th March 2009, 11:19
Go to www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlist.php (http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/crewlist.php) there you will find details of how to obtain the info that you require. They are not cheap, but in my experiance the service is very thorough and accurate. It was either Newfoundland or ditch, Lacastrian.
Gil.
Fascinating. That accounts for the BOT records but doesnt mention the RFA's own records which may be there or at some other Canadian University.
What do we have a Public Record Office for, one wonders?

Ceylon. In case it helps, Resurgent's Official Number was 184366. Port of Registry, London.

CEYLON220
6th March 2009, 23:34
Thanks lads, I knew someone would come up with answers, thats what I like about this site is the help you get from the members, if we ever meet in the local the pints are on me --thanks again.
Dave.

Pat Thompson
7th March 2009, 09:10
Good Morning,

Lancastrian, my experience of DGST(N) is that they had absolutely no sense of history and that anything RFA would have been consigned to the skip. It is of course possible that it is to be found at the repositiory at Hayes where we used to send the stores account after Audit.

Mick Spear
7th March 2009, 14:13
Articles and official log books get sent to Office of shipping and seaman Cardiff, each time they are closed. I believe this procedure has ben going on for years. However, after a few years 70% of records are destroyed, so it's hit and miss.
Ceylon, take your chance and get in touch with 'regstrar of shipping and seafarers' ty glas road llanishan Cardiff. If i was on board i would be able to give you the correct address.
Mick S

Lancastrian
7th March 2009, 14:50
Mick. See post 2. Thats the only address they are making public, but as we learn from later posts they are unlikely to have 1958.
Pat. No doubt all our S331s are still in Hayes, but when I had a pension query in 1998, which required reference to my Far East service, I was told by Personnel (probably HR now!), it would take some time to resolve as the records were all in Canada.

CEYLON220
8th March 2009, 23:17
Robin Gresham is an antique dealer down south somewhere near Yeovil area, was in touch a few years ago but lost his address,I would wish to us all getting together again for all times sake, I believe that one of the lads married an Asian before we departed S`pore to sail back to the UK.

CEYLON220
14th March 2009, 23:47
Robin Gresham is an antique dealer down south somewhere near Yeovil area, was in touch a few years ago but lost his address,I would wish to us all getting together again for all times sake, I believe that one of the lads married an Asian before we departed S`pore to sail back to the UK.

The names from the photo of the mates from the RFA RESURGENT 1958/59 are;

L to R:

Myself , Steve(RFA) Ginger Mathers (RFA) Robin Gresham (RFA) and George Taylor.

Any one recognise these lads, may have served aboard other RFAs.