Photographs

GBXZ
12th March 2009, 10:35
I have a large collection of colour slides and B/W negatives, can any one suggest a suitable hardware/software (MAC only) to convert them to this site?

Pat McCardle
12th March 2009, 12:08
You will need a scanner that can read the negatives & slides. I have a HP 3770 digital flatbed scanner that does this. Your best bet is to Google for scanners that read negs etc.

Lancastrian
13th March 2009, 22:34
Most dedicated slide scanners will also do 35mm negs. Get one with "Digital Ice" which will remove a lot of the muck and scratches. However well stored, your slides are likely to be filthy, as you can often see in slides posted in the Gallery! Recommend Primefilm 3650U. It comes complete with limited software for editing. For the full works try PhotoImpact.

K urgess
13th March 2009, 23:47
All the pictures and slides posted in my gallery are scanned on an Epson Perfection 4870 Photo.
Getting a bit long in the tooth now but still scanning well.
You need a scanner that will handle at least 4800 dpi optical resolution for slides/negatives and software that'll clean all the spots and spiders off them. Given the choice I prefer to scan from prints rather then the negatives because no matter how carefully kept the negatives show every blemish.
The software is a matter of personal choice. I use Corel Photopaint and ACDSee but just about everyone on site has there own favourites.