Ocean Transport

BOB.WHITTAKER
12th March 2009, 13:38
I have just scanned all threads and came on some references to the Ocean Transport and also two very good shots of her. What a cracking job she was, a 4 legged "P" Type Doxford with a D.C. generator wound on the main shaft.Once we got "full away" on with the shaft generator off with the diesels then two weeks Liverpool to Santos with only the main engine to worry about,that was the theory anyway. I was 2eng. 72-74 with Vic Pegg and Bill Blaylock as Ch.eng,John Ord and Brian Wardell as 3eng.,Barry Littler and Mick Mason as 4engs.,Robbie Dowsing and Brian Dolman Jengs.,Jim Spillane of Cobh electrician and not fogeting Phil Kirton on his first trip as engineer cadet. The Captain was Arthur "Foxy" Fowler, a true gentleman of the old school who was latterly appointed as the "Company Ombudsman",this in itself being a reflection of the Houlder attitude towards the welfare of the employees.Ch.Offs were Chris Thompson and Harry Thompson(not related) and 2Offs. Jerry Puckett and Jim Nicholas. Initially joined the ship in August 1972 in Las Palmas with my new bride Hazel for a "honeymoon" trip in ballast to East London in South Africa and back to Manchester.Shortly after sailing she asked "what time do you stop the engines for the night",very surprised to find out that we didnt. This was followed by four trips on the usual Liverpool-Santos-Montevideo-B.A. run. HAPPY DAYS.

willmac
13th March 2009, 23:35
I have just scanned all threads and came on some references to the Ocean Transport and also two very good shots of her. What a cracking job she was, a 4 legged "P" Type Doxford with a D.C. generator wound on the main shaft.Once we got "full away" on with the shaft generator off with the diesels then two weeks Liverpool to Santos with only the main engine to worry about,that was the theory anyway. I was 2eng. 72-74 with Vic Pegg and Bill Blaylock as Ch.eng,John Ord and Brian Wardell as 3eng.,Barry Littler and Mick Mason as 4engs.,Robbie Dowsing and Brian Dolman Jengs.,Jim Spillane of Cobh electrician and not fogeting Phil Kirton on his first trip as engineer cadet. The Captain was Arthur "Foxy" Fowler, a true gentleman of the old school who was latterly appointed as the "Company Ombudsman",this in itself being a reflection of the Houlder attitude towards the welfare of the employees.Ch.Offs were Chris Thompson and Harry Thompson(not related) and 2Offs. Jerry Puckett and Jim Nicholas. Initially joined the ship in August 1972 in Las Palmas with my new bride Hazel for a "honeymoon" trip in ballast to East London in South Africa and back to Manchester.Shortly after sailing she asked "what time do you stop the engines for the night",very surprised to find out that we didnt. This was followed by four trips on the usual Liverpool-Santos-Montevideo-B.A. run. HAPPY DAYS.

Hi Bob and Kiora from New Zealand.
I remember you and your wife and most of the names you mentioned. I was Saloon Steward from 72 until Aug 73. Also on board at that time were, Frank Carlaw Catering Officer, Vic Day Chief Cook, and Peter Luxton Second Steward, also i recall Mrs Blaylock and Mrs Isobel Thompson, I think your wife also was on a trip to BA but may be wrong its been such a long time.Ocean Transport was a good ship with good people and i have many fond memories of my time aboard her and i have the greatest respect for Captain "Foxy " Fowler " a real Gentleman.

Willmac

non descript
14th March 2009, 20:52
Hello Bob, thank you for starting a nice thread on this fine lady - there are quite a few references to her on the Site, and some fine photographs as well (one is here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=97913)) but until now she was without the honour of her own thread. - In passing she was the subject of a Tongan Quiz (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17661&page=4&highlight=%27ocean+transport%27)...
(Thumb)
Mark

BOB.WHITTAKER
22nd March 2009, 23:04
WILLMAC, certainly remember Frank Carlaw,I had him as Frank Shirlaw but now agree with you,also Vic Day the chef and Peter the 2cnd stwd,cant bring your user name WILLMAC to mind though.Certainly Mrs. Isobel Thompson was onboard upto Manchester probably October 72. Mrs. Margret Blaylock joined then with her husband Bill who was chief eng. Mrs. Blaylock and my wife Hazel became very good friends for a number of years after,no contact for many years though. I have found your posted photographs of the ship as well. Very pleasant to hear from you,all the best , Bob Whittaker.

MARINEJOCKY
23rd March 2009, 00:25
I joined her in 1978 as 4/E in London and did the coast leaving in Glasgow.

I remember being in the London Docks and I think it was the dock police who came onboard to tell us that due to a very high tide we should be on stand-by as they were expecting the water all the way over the docks. Nothing happened at the end though.

I remember being told to start the Doxford and did so when the chief was walking around the engine room, I managed to lift every safety and scared the stuff out of him.

I then remember being in a terrible storm in the southern area of the Irish Sea and the governor kept cutting out. To reset it I had to hammer the end of this huge bronze arm with a sledge hammer. Those few weeks were my only time on a Doxford but like my other ships I have a good photo of her on the wall of my sons bedroom.

Guy41
25th May 2009, 14:35
Hi all,

Marinejockey- I joined the OT in Glasgow in early 1978 (probably the same time as you left) and did 2 trips down to BA and East Coast SA. Including being in BA and Montevideo during the '78 World Cup Finals.

I was a 4th trip deck cadet at the time and suddenly realised that maybe I had made the correct career decision!! -having previously done 2 long trips aboard Sir Alexander Glen and Orenda Bridge and a taste of things to come on the Cavendish.

Alas it was not to last -and despite my protests, I was hauled off by Mr Ling to gain "further Gas experience" on the Lord Kelvin and never sailed aboard a cargo ship again. (and with the G stamped firmly on my forehead spent the next 13 years with the Fiery Kipper)

Something must have stuck in my subconcious though, because I returned to BA in 1992 with Hoverspeed (believe it or not) and married an Argentine girl and despite working in various shore jobs in The UK, UAE, China, USA and Cyprus- Argentina is where I call home now.

Curiously enough I worked briefly in the ex-Houlder's Buenos Aires Office in 25 de Mayo street 2 years ago for Argentine Law firm Ray, Edye, Roche & Vega on a collision case for the UK P & I Club. The Brass H is still engraved above the entrance door and the 1930s elevator works like new complete with lift driver-

On a sad nostalgic note -all of the old favourite watering holes have now gone from 25 de Mayo though old restaurants such as La Estancia still exist mainly fot the tourists now.

I dont know if there are any other members here in Argentina -the beef is still as good as always -along with the wine (not to mention las chicas!!) Only real worries are the steadily increasing crime rate and the exorbitant price of imported English ale. (the local stuff is not bad though..)

Cheers to all

Guy

MARINEJOCKY
26th May 2009, 21:23
Hi Guy,

I signed off the OT on 31st January 1978 as a 4/E.

Did we ever meet on the gas boats, I did 5 trips on the Cavendish and a number of those were down to BA, lightening first at Reclada (sorry about the spelling) then up to Doc Sud.

I made contact with Captain Charlier Wilcox last year after something like 30 years. He was born in BA if I remember correctly and was a regular on the gas boats.

I was never in the BA offices but did stand outside looking at them. I went back to the Leadenhall offices years after I hade left the company and it was a huge disappointment.

Best rdgs. ME

Les Gibson
26th May 2009, 23:01
Slightly related to the above posts! I worked as an electrician on the fitting out of the OT at Hawthorn Leslies and remember it was a good ship then. Even during the building and fitting out she had a good bunch of lads doing the work. Obviously this carried on after delivery. I wired the winches (Along with one other electrician) and also had a hand in installing the lighting in the 'tween decks. Remember the shaft Genny well.

rob mcc
10th July 2009, 10:23
i was on the OT when she was sold and handed over to her greek owners in november 79 at Hull sad day for all concerned as another fine houlder ship left the company

non descript
10th July 2009, 10:33
i was on the OT when she was sold and handed over to her greek owners in november 79 at Hull sad day for all concerned as another fine houlder ship left the company

Yes, and a very curious "Greek" Owner he was too.................... A lovely ship and not easy to see her under the care of others, who lived by a different set of rules. (Cloud)

vasco
10th July 2009, 16:41
Hi all,

Marinejockey- I joined the OT in Glasgow in early 1978 (probably the same time as you left) and did 2 trips down to BA and East Coast SA. Including being in BA and Montevideo during the '78 World Cup Finals.

We must have sailed together, I was 2/O from April78 for two trips with my mrs. Perhaps you are on this photo http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=107945
I spent most of my time locked in my cabin doing those horrendous new style cargo plans, which were a complete waste of time.

Sorry can't remember you

john