Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963

richensj
13th March 2009, 16:32
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
I would like to chat with any former sea mates if any are still alive.
My name is Jeff Richens who when articalled was called "Bubbles".

K urgess
13th March 2009, 16:40
Welcome aboard, Jeff.
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.

John Rogers
13th March 2009, 16:46
Welcome to the site Jeff,we have a Watts Watts forum just look down at the bottom of the forum list and you will spot it
I served on The Beckenham and the Willesden in the 1950s,great company to work for.

John.

R58484956
13th March 2009, 16:48
Greetings Jeff and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

Tony Crompton
13th March 2009, 16:55
Hi Jeff,
I did Second Mates in 1960 with Roger Paramour who served his time with Watts Watts at the same time as you. Kept in touch with him for many years, possibly he was a shipmate of yours.

Regards, Tony

gdynia
13th March 2009, 22:39
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

benjidog
13th March 2009, 23:48
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

dom
14th March 2009, 01:23
did a trip on the Windsor Jan 58 April 60,Capt Mudd, the only other name that comes to mind is ch stwd,Zimmerman,greaser wanted to kill him for something or other,New york we lost an AB,wanted to fight some one in an irish pub,turned out it was a offduty policeman,from what i remember it went downhill fast from there,still happy days,Charlie if your out there he asked me and i refused

stores
1st March 2010, 11:45
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.

hi , i sailed on mv wanstead in 1962 medie and canada run, my name is tony wilding, my step brother paul jarvis was on beaconsfield, woolwich, raudhatain, suhail, and quite a few other tankers managed by watts, he was second cook then cook, also my friend neil grant sailed with him , both in the galley, regards, tony wilding, STORES.

kalibah
9th August 2010, 20:29
I served on the Twickenham 27/3/57 11/5/57 one trip loaded coal,
Newport NewsPaid off rotterdam,old man was atotal nutter,used to fire a .22 at beer cans on the foc/sle
Regard Charles (Kalibah)

defence1
24th August 2010, 21:58
Hi,

HI Jeff, I sailed on the Woodford I think about enf of 1953 up until March 1954. What a ship for its day so modern, magnificent quarters and meal a recreation areas. Steel roller hatch covers and electric winches. Great Ship

Monket
24th August 2010, 22:13
Joined the MV Weybridge as an EDH in Durban July 1960,Then east Africa/western seaboard of the USA,Vancouver, cotton from Mexico to Japan,dry dock in Kure, light ship to Queensland, sugar to Liverpool via Djakata.
What a trip. My only circumnavigation of the globe.
Oh to be 20 again.

Mick farmer
2nd December 2010, 18:45
Hi Jeff,
I did Second Mates in 1960 with Roger Paramour who served his time with Watts Watts at the same time as you. Kept in touch with him for many years, possibly he was a shipmate of yours.

Regards, Tony

Tony

Did you know George Hope I think he was a Tees pilot

Mick

terry morrow
11th February 2011, 20:36
Hi,
I sailed under WATTS WATTS management in 1962 on a tanker called
The ST MELIKA, It was a GULF OIL tanker under WATTS WATTS
Management,WATTS WATTS had 4 ships from GULF OIL, this was
After the ships came under the british flag, prior to that the ships were
Under the ITALIAN FLAG,but the" MELIKA '' caught fire in the PERSIAN
GULF,and the italians bailed out with the ship on fire.HMS BULWARK
Put a party aboard ,put out the fire claimed salvage rights.this would
Be around 1958, GULF OIL then put the ships under WATTS WATTS
management.
Regards Terry,

Colin Torrie
11th February 2011, 21:51
Hi,

Did you ever come across a Captain Angus Ferguseon. I believe he was with Watts and Watts at that time you describe

Robert M Hughes
16th March 2011, 15:16
Hi,
I would like to chat widon't know th any former sea mates if any are still alive.

Hi Jeff, I was R/O on the Wokingham August '56 to July '57 - what a brilliant ship (I have a pic on the wall right now) I can't remember where I signed on but our voyage was Australia, Adelaide, Port Pirie, Albany, Bunbury and Fremantle -up to Calcutta for grain back to Oz then Beira loading chrome ore for Baltimore finally paying off in Rotterdam.
Very happy ship but as a non-Watts Watts Company man (Siemens Marine radio) I don't remember the guys on board unfortunately.
I would dearly love to know where that voyage began/ where I signed on.
Best wishes to all,

Bob

Tony Veale
23rd November 2011, 22:22
I sailed on the Mv Weybridge for two trips. The first as a junior eng and the second as 4th. The first trip was from Gravesend 1965 to Canada, then South Africa where we loaded sugar for Japan. We were then chartered by the K line for a two year stint. West coast of States, Central America, through the canal and all stations the other side. Then back to Japan.
Really memorable trips. Eventually paying off in Tampa florida after 18 months. My next trip was shorter. Flying back to rejoin her in Haiti after the relief 4th went sick. We returned to the UK in 1967 to learn that the ship had been sold to the Pakistan National Line and we where to deliver her. This plan was scuppered by the six day war which closed the Suez. We handed over in Marseille and flew home. A great ship with some great shipmates.

Robert M Hughes
24th November 2011, 09:18
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that - the Wokingham was a great ship and those on it - I think I'm probably still engaged to a girl in Fremantle, but I never got back (her insistence) - in the small ports of OZ people turned out to see the ship. I have a picture of the Wokingham on my study wall now !

All the best,

Bob

frank elliott
24th November 2011, 16:37
Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.

dom
24th November 2011, 22:27
Hello Jeff Richens.. Did one trip on the Windsor, December 1958 to February 1959 ....... Londonderry to Boston to load grain for a Kelloggs charter to Manchester. My one and only time up the Manchester Canal. I was R/O with Siemens Bros. and it was only a short duration so never got to know any WattsWatts men. Nice ship,nice accomodation and general rooms. My best memories of that time was in Boston,great city,great night life ..... was it Scully Square or Crawford street. At that time of the year I remember the Atlantic was a calm as a duck pond but there were many small icebergs to be seen.

you were lucky,i joined her in Feb,59. in Manchester,trip from hell

Hoverlover
13th January 2012, 21:58
Hello,
I was an apprentice with Watts Watts from 1960 t0 1963 sailing on Port Wanstead, Windsor, Woodford,Woolwich,Wanstead, Wokingham and Ceuta. My name is John McGrath. Good years and excellent training. Finished up piloting hovercraft for Canadian Coast Guard in Vancouver, BC. It would be great to hear from any fellow apprentices. Cheers, John.

Hoverlover
13th January 2012, 22:07
Hello,
I sailed with Watts Watts from 1960 to 1963. My name is John McGrath and I have nothing but good memories for the fine ships and people I worked with. Cheers, John.

johnvvc
18th January 2012, 17:14
Hi,

Sailed on the Wendover as Marconi R/O for a few months but sadly don't remember much about her or the trip. I 'think' we had a Rhodesian (?) engineer, possibly a 4th or maybe 3rd. Also I 'think' I had my 21st whilst enroute BA - Far East. I drank a bottle of wood alcohol (amongst other things) which laid me low for a while...not too convinced I was ever right after that !!!

Joined her on the 5th March 1962 and paid off in Liverpool 10th May 1963. (no I haven't got such a great memory - I still have my Discharge Book !!!).

Signatures in Discharge Book are Neill something and possibly a W Morris - one of these was obviously the Master - anyone know these gentlemen?

Hoping to put together a scrapbook of my times at sea so if anyone has any pictures of the Wendover - especially the Radio Room - I'd appreciate a copy/copies.

stores
18th January 2012, 18:40
hi i was on her sister wanstead, have many photos of wendover, but complete ship only. regards, STORES.(Scribe)

stores
18th January 2012, 18:47
Hello,
I was an apprentice with Watts Watts from 1960 t0 1963 sailing on Port Wanstead, Windsor, Woodford,Woolwich,Wanstead, Wokingham and Ceuta. My name is John McGrath. Good years and excellent training. Finished up piloting hovercraft for Canadian Coast Guard in Vancouver, BC. It would be great to hear from any fellow apprentices. Cheers, John.

HI , I WAS ON THE WANSTEAD 60/ 61 WE JOINED IN ANTWERP, PORTUGAL, SPAIN,ITALY, GREECE, TURKEY, SYRIA, CANADA AND USA, WAS U ON HER THEN, I WAS ENGINE ROOM DEPT, U SAILED ON THE CEUTA, ? WAS SHE OWNED BY WATTS WATTS, ? IF SO HAVE U ANY DETAILS OF HER AM DOING A HISTORY OF WATTS WATTS BUT THAT SHIP IS NEW TO \ME, BEST WISHES, TONY WILDING.(Scribe)

Hoverlover
18th January 2012, 19:48
HI , I WAS ON THE WANSTEAD 60/ 61 WE JOINED IN ANTWERP, PORTUGAL, SPAIN,ITALY, GREECE, TURKEY, SYRIA, CANADA AND USA, WAS U ON HER THEN, I WAS ENGINE ROOM DEPT, U SAILED ON THE CEUTA, ? WAS SHE OWNED BY WATTS WATTS, ? IF SO HAVE U ANY DETAILS OF HER AM DOING A HISTORY OF WATTS WATTS BUT THAT SHIP IS NEW TO \ME, BEST WISHES, TONY WILDING.(Scribe)

Hello Tony,
I believe that I may have been the first Watts Watts apprentice to sail on Gulf tankers who were managed by them under a different company name (Afran Bahamas). The cargo ships were better but tanker experience was useful. I was on her for seven months running from the Gulf to Europe. Cheers, John.

stores
18th January 2012, 20:01
HI JOHN, I HAVE OVER 250 PHOTOS OF WATTS WATTS SHIPS INCLUDING THE GULF TANKERS, IF U NEED ANY LET\ ME KNOW, MY BROTHER WAS ON, WANSTEAD, PORT WANSTEAD, WOOLWICH, AND MANY OF THE TANKERS, HIS NAME PAUL JARVIS , WAS COOK ON THE TANKERS, I WAS ON WANSTEAD, AM VERY INTERESTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CEUTA, ANY PHOTOS ? HIS FRIEND NEIL GRANT WAS SECOND COOK ON THE TANKERS. REGARDS. TONY.(Scribe)

King Ratt
19th January 2012, 08:14
Welcome, Hoverlover, to the big, wide, wonderful world of SN. Tried to phone you yesterday afternoon having just supped a pint with Swan International. Just after that I found your postings re Watts Yachts.
Check my photo input, you might find yourself in there.

R

Burned Toast
19th January 2012, 10:20
did a trip on the Windsor Jan 58 April 60,Capt Mudd, the only other name that comes to mind is ch stwd,Zimmerman,greaser wanted to kill him for something or other,New york we lost an AB,wanted to fight some one in an irish pub,turned out it was a offduty policeman,from what i remember it went downhill fast from there,still happy days,Charlie if your out there he asked me and i refused

Richard T Mudd joined Oregon SS from Watts Watts, sailed with him on the Lutetian.

mclean
19th January 2012, 20:41
Hello,
I sailed with Watts Watts from 1960 to 1963. My name is John McGrath and I have nothing but good memories for the fine ships and people I worked with. Cheers, John.

Hi John, I thought you were heading off to exotic places to retire? Still in Vancouver I see. Bst.Rgds. Colin Mclean

dom
23rd January 2012, 13:31
any truth in the story about apprentices not being allowed up the funnel because one apprentice fell down the main engine exhaust

john freestone
24th January 2012, 00:38
Was apprentice with Saint Line 1959 then transferred to the Gulf Scott to finish my time.

Sailed as 3rd Mate Wokingham 1964, then a time on Port Wimbledon
with Capt Jackson and Pierce.

Still in touch with Jonathan Eastland who was apprentice on the Port Wimbledon.

Still working and am a river pilot in London also Senior Warden for the Honourable Company of Master Mariners.

Great times which will never return!

bob baker
30th January 2012, 14:07
Hi,

I served my time with Watts Watts from aug 1960 to nov 63 sailing on Port Wanstead,Wanstead,Willesden (new one)Wokingham,Laid up on Windsor winter 62/63,Weybridge,feb63-Nov 63 and then back again as 3rd mate apr-jul 64,aug-dec 64 and last my voyage jan65 -july 66 (18 months),my name is Bob Baker from Sully,just outside Cardiff,known as "Taff" becuase I was the only welshman sometimes.Thoroughly enjoyed my time met some great blokes,you had to work and play hard with some of the crews we had.

mel3ladcup
30th January 2012, 18:50
Hi,

Hi Jeff ! gtlad to say i am one of the" still alive ones" .I started at sea as junior eng on the Woodford It was one of the best ships i have ever been on.thatwas1960was also on the woolwich Weybridge windsor and Wimbledon.,before moving to Denholms that was aug 64

mel3ladcup
30th January 2012, 19:05
Hi John, I thought you were heading off to exotic places to retire? Still in Vancouver I see. Bst.Rgds. Colin Mclean

Hi john I was a j/e when i sailed with you but cant remember which ship Iremember throwing you over my shoulder in the officers lounge because you were annoying me think it may have been the Woodford or Weybridge Iam Jim Taylor

Hoverlover
30th January 2012, 20:20
Hi john I was a j/e when i sailed with you but cant remember which ship Iremember throwing you over my shoulder in the officers lounge because you were annoying me think it may have been the Woodford or Weybridge Iam Jim Taylor

Yes..! I do remember you,Jim. It must have been the Woodford. Good days. Are you still in UK and has life treated you well..? Watts was a good start and life has been good to me. Thanks for not chucking me overboard as I am sure I deserved it..! John.

mel3ladcup
31st January 2012, 14:35
Yes..! I do remember you,Jim. It must have been the Woodford. Good days. Are you still in UK and has life treated you well..? Watts was a good start and life has been good to me. Thanks for not chucking me overboard as I am sure I deserved it..! John.

Hi John am well and truly retired now (72) left MN 1982 .Bought myself a pub and ran that for 18 yrs sold it and finished up .I am married with two grown up children and i am a grandad to .My son works in the European Commission in Brussels .so spend a lot of time over there,also travel a lot just back from aussie .Have you been in touch with anyone else on there. regards Jim

Malgray2
31st January 2012, 15:58
I joined the Wendover as an app. in Liverpool in 1963 and stayed with her until March 1984. I was sent home on leave and then got a letter telling me that apps were no longer required and my indentures were to be transferred to Buries Marks. I greatly enjoyed my time on the Wendover would love to hear from any of my fellow apps.
I'm Ben Gomperts and Tony, Hector and Sandy sailed with me.

alastair.k
21st April 2012, 16:58
hi I am alastair Kerr I sailed on the Beaconsfield ,Willesden,the Windsor and also the Twickenham as a cadet 1953-1957 when I retired because it was discovered that I was colour blind they all great ships

ray morgan
6th August 2012, 18:59
I joined the "Woodford", in May 62 ,Suez out Panama home,a trip to remember,the Skipper was Captain Cox,I remember the 1st Mate was very Young.I still cannot believe it was 50yrs ago though.

stan carter
9th August 2012, 15:11
joined the greenwich in dec 55 in rotterdam. trip to the states, aus and nz, back to the states and canada. was deck boy until we reached nz, so many jumped ship, was promoted to a/stw for trip home. ( just found that notation in d/b) paid off in avonmouth end june 56. good trip.

Tony Veale
15th August 2012, 21:15
I served my time with Watts Watts from aug 1960 to nov 63 sailing on Port Wanstead,Wanstead,Willesden (new one)Wokingham,Laid up on Windsor winter 62/63,Weybridge,feb63-Nov 63 and then back again as 3rd mate apr-jul 64,aug-dec 64 and last my voyage jan65 -july 66 (18 months),my name is Bob Baker from Sully,just outside Cardiff,known as "Taff" becuase I was the only welshman sometimes.Thoroughly enjoyed my time met some great blokes,you had to work and play hard with some of the crews we had.

Bob
I was on the Weybridge during your first trip as 3rd mate. As I remember you'd only been married a very short time befor we sailed on the 18 month stint. I was a junior eng at the time. Happy days.
Tony Veale.

robert the bruce
30th October 2012, 18:14
Hi, I was on the Ragusa, 3rd Eng, 2 voyages, great ship, photo in my pictures, paid off in Rotterdam '63. The 2nd and myself had a good taste of Dutch ale, memory escaped me until I woke up in Dover. That Dutch beer is really good stuff.
Rob