MV Darro

Xairpert
14th March 2009, 16:21
Spent most of my sailing time on the Darro during my brief 2 years with SS&A, this would have been about 1973-5. During the last days of operation at the Royal Albert Docks. Such a long time ago, still have some good memories and of the experiances in Santos. Would be nice to hear any stories from fellow Darro crewmates.

Steve

R58484956
14th March 2009, 16:52
Greetings Steve and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

holmsey
16th March 2009, 19:10
Greetings Xairpert

I too spent some time on Darro in 1973, took my wife Jean on a trip to South America, check out my posting here
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7873

Regards
Jim H

bert thompson
16th March 2009, 22:15
Welcome Steve to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

benjidog
16th March 2009, 22:22
Welcome from Lancashire.
I hope you will enjoy the site.

Xairpert
18th March 2009, 15:01
Hi Jim

Just found your photos on the Drina page. Other names that I recall are Dick Jordan. Ian Livingstone?, I am the one with the camera next to Yorkie and in the other wearing a hippy type shirt. The RO was Fred Curran, we became good friends and corresponded for several years after I left SSA
Steve

holmsey
18th March 2009, 19:38
Greetings Steve

Well done finding the photos in the Drina page on the Shaw Savill ships website, I have asked Mike to swap the Cretic ones with the ones I posted of the Darro, it may happen yet.

Good to hear from you and I am glad you are able to put some names to the faces, my memory is shot.

I still have the beard and the Scottish accent, though the later has softened over the years, mainly due to teaching Arabic speaking engineers.

regards
Jim H

petermax
28th March 2009, 13:04
Hi Steve,
I've attatched a photo of some of the guys on the Darro. I think it was 1975 in B.A. The one in the white overalls with the notebook was called Steve and was from Stockton, the guy to his right was also from Stockton. I'm the one at the back in the white overalls, (typical 'lecky'!!) Do you recognise anyone?
Reards
Peter

K urgess
28th March 2009, 13:09
Sorted your picture out for you, Peter.
Cheers
Kris

mwebster56
28th March 2009, 13:15
Hi Steve,
I've attatched a photo of some of the guys on the Darro. I think it was 1975 in B.A. The one in the white overalls with the notebook was called Steve and was from Stockton, the guy to his right was also from Stockton. I'm the one at the back in the white overalls, (typical 'lecky'!!) Do you recognise anyone?
Reards
Peter

Hi Peter
I was on the Darro until early 1974 but I don't recognise anyone on this picture.
When did you join the Darro?
Regards
Mike

petermax
28th March 2009, 14:11
Hi Peter
I was on the Darro until early 1974 but I don't recognise anyone on this picture.
When did you join the Darro?
Regards
Mike

Hi Mike
I actually first joined in 1973 in Royal Albert dock, for three days. Then I rejoined around about X'mas 1974 in Southampton.
Regards
Peter

Mike Boyle
12th September 2009, 20:50
I was a first trip cadet joined 2nd Sep 1976 in Avonmouth, a fine ship in all respects.

petermax
16th September 2009, 15:07
I was a first trip cadet joined 2nd Sep 1976 in Avonmouth, a fine ship in all respects.

Hi Mike,

Was that the trip we went to Oz with a bus on the deck, dropping it off in Melbourne then onto Sydney and Port Mackay. Then we went to NZ and had quite a long time in Bluff because of a strike. Were you a Deck Cadet or Eng. Cadet.

Regards.
Peter

Mike Boyle
3rd December 2009, 21:07
First trip deck, Mackay fabulous fishing and weeks in Bluff and The Mount! A brilliant introduction to Kiwi.

Mog
1st July 2012, 15:46
Hi Peter,
Think the guy on the stairs might be "Yorkey" Bob Boothroyd!
Mike Reynolds (Mog)

petermax
5th August 2012, 09:31
Hi Mike,

It isn't Bob, he was fifth eng on the trips I did and the guy on the stairs was a Junior.

Mike I may be wrong, (old age) but did I meet you on a ship in Avonmouth 1979. The guy I'm thinking about was 2nd.Eng. I think. I joined the ship after it had come in from Jamaica with fire damage and we sailed around to Sheerness.

Regards
Peter