British commondo

frank power
19th March 2009, 18:16
frank power would like to know what be came of the british commondo tanker i sailed on in the fifites

non descript
19th March 2009, 20:59
Is it possible the ship's name is British Commander and is this one here (http://www.benjidog.co.uk/allen/photos/BPTNK025.jpg)

non descript
19th March 2009, 21:04
I did come across this in passing...
From the archive, first published Wednesday 29th Jun 2005.

The Falmouth branch of the Mission to Seafarers has been presented with a ship's bell from the former BP Tanker Company vessel British Commander. The gift was made by Gordon Stewart whose father, Donald, was a leading light in local shipping circles in the 1960s and 70s.

Gordon was keen for the bell to be returned to Falmouth and be associated with his father's shipping interests.

As Donald was almoner to the Missions to Seamen during his time in Falmouth, where he worked closely with the late Padre David Roberts, it was felt that the bell should be presented to the Falmouth branch.

Donald Stewart, who died last year in Stratford-upon-Avon, was manager of the Falmouth and District Shipping Federation office when the port was in its prime.

Away from the office, Donald became involved in local maritime events. He served as chairman of the Falmouth Shipping Circle annual dinner and, in 1972, was presented with the bell by representatives from the BP Tanker Company which in those days was the major customer at the docks.

The bell was later used to assist the toastmaster on social occasions. The annual dinner was discontinued but the bell remained in Donald's care when he moved to Stratford to be near his family.

* The first ship to carry the name British Commander - a tanker built in 1922 - was sunk by the German raider Pinguin south of Madagascar in August 1940. The ship that took over the name came into service in 1950 when BP built 54 tankers of 12,250 tons deadweight. These ships had a life span of 15 years and many of them were laid up in the River Fal in the early 1960s.

KenLin39
19th March 2009, 22:01
frank power would like to know what be came of the british commondo tanker i sailed on in the fifites

Hi Frank. " British Commando" 1946. Launched as Empire Chapman 1942. Bruges breakers March-1959. Info from Miramar. Ken.

non descript
19th March 2009, 22:06
Hi Frank. " British Commando" 1946. Launched as Empire Chapman 1942. Bruges breakers March-1959. Info from Miramar. Ken.

Thanks Ken, that seems far more likely that my choice. (Thumb)

John_F
20th March 2009, 10:52
Photos attached of her as Empire Chapman, complete with dummy funnel midships, & as British Commando.
Photo of Empire Chapman taken from Norman Middlemiss's book The British Tankers.
Photo of British Commando taken from Bill Harvey & Ray Solly's book BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History.

Kind regards,
John Firmin