Houlders Ships that you Hated to Leave.

Welsh Dragon
17th March 2009, 20:47
I nearly wept when I Left the Westbury 1977. Did 2 trips and 2 coasts.
Some names of the guys that made the Trips (East Coast S. America) The best time I ever had at sea.
John Purvis C/E
Mike Bollingbrook 2/E
Mike Houghton 3/E
John Holden 4/E
Paddy (Gerry Desmond) 5/E
Pat Walsh J/E
Chris ? Elec
Drunken Duncan 3rd Mate.
Sorry I wish I could remember the names of the others. A chippy that I carried back to the ship (I still have Back problems)

A Great ship, great ports and a bunch of lads that I would trust with anybodies daughter (Jester)

non descript
19th March 2009, 21:42
Nicely put Welsh Dragon and the Westbury and indeed several others, if not many others, in the Houlders Fleet would qualify for that accolade.
(Thumb)
Mark

vasco
21st March 2009, 06:37
black max, joule, cerinthus and i lie!

never hated to leave a ship but have, very rarely, looked forward to joining one again. More for the people than the ship though.

Magnus Flaws
21st March 2009, 11:22
Vasco, looking at your profile I joined the good ship Joya McCance at Nynashamn in Sweden with you in March 71 paid off in Curacao in June for my sisters wedding and then joined the Joya again in Liverpool when you left. Altogether I did 18 months on the Joya enjoyed, nearly every minute.

NINJA
21st March 2009, 12:03
At one end of the scale was the Cavendish and at the very opposite end of the scale was 'the black max'

MARINEJOCKY
21st March 2009, 12:14
Could not wait to leave the Cavendish after having a terrible set of engineers on my last trip and that was after 4 other trips on the same ship that I loved.

Was on the Black Max as relieve but then was sad to leave after such a short time thanks to the great set of guys on board.

Kalamaki Bob
21st March 2009, 13:15
Black Max rates as one of my worst trips. Lousy runs on the North Sea in winter. I seem to remember a strong emphasis on alcohol as well. I know it wasn't Houlders but I did 4 runs on the Deseado (Royal Mail) and loved almost every minute.

K urgess
21st March 2009, 14:18
Although I couldn't wait to get off Cerinthus at the time because leave was overdue, I've always regretted not being able to get back to her.
One of the many things that changed after taking an electronics ticket.

Nova Scotian
21st March 2009, 15:46
I said farewell to the Shaftesbury when we paid-off in Liverpool having arrived with a full cargo of sugar from Bombay. It was June of 1966 and I had spent a total of three voyages and eighteen months on her as a navigating apprentice. It was a great experience. We apprentices learnt more under the guidance of C/O Moore, 2/O Tulloch and 3/O Tristam in that last 10 months than we did throughout our time. I was on leave for the whole of the '66 World Cup before joining the Denby Grange in the Tyne.

Of all the ships I sailed on with Houlders, the Shaftesbury, without a doubt, was the best.

Cheers.

non descript
21st March 2009, 22:40
Although I couldn't wait to get off Cerinthus at the time because leave was overdue, I've always regretted not being able to get back to her....

Old Tongan Proverb…. A man will always try to return to the scene, just to search for a link from the past… (Jester)

notnila
22nd March 2009, 00:05
I was sorry to leave every ship I sailed in,with the exception of"Imperial Transport".I hated that *****!!The ship I would most likely have signed on again was"Abadesa",but then,as the whole crew signed off,a new crew would probably have made her a totally different ship.

notnila
22nd March 2009, 01:51
It seems that you guys have led such sheltered lives,that you'd be shocked and stunned by the word "b1tch"!!!

tell
22nd March 2009, 03:30
Langton Grange ! not sure about leaving her but would love to relive my time on her, she was a happy ship and we had good living quarters, she was an ex empire boat , the crew including the officers were a good crowd, there was no friction oh to be able to turn the clock back

Jim Harris
22nd March 2009, 08:29
oh to be able to turn the clock back[/QUOTE]

You're so, so right there, Tell.
What wouldn't most of us do to have one more trip, whether
it be a ***** or a bastard.... just one more trip....

Regards,

Jim.

homerus
22nd March 2009, 08:34
At one end of the scale was the Cavendish and at the very opposite end of the scale was 'the black max'
In between was purgatory

homerus
22nd March 2009, 08:35
& the Humboldt?

non descript
22nd March 2009, 09:08
& the Humboldt?

Yes, I would tend to agree, the Humboldt (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=146499) holds a very special place in my heart. A very hard working ship, but maybe the best crew I sailed with. (Thumb)

homerus
22nd March 2009, 09:35
I spent 6 weeks on the Humboldt,paid off during the strike of 81.No beer onboard on Nyears eve,then we loaded up at kiel-then it just unravelled into a murderous hangover & a force12 the next day.

duquesa
22nd March 2009, 10:03
I have said earlier on some thread on this forum, the Langton Grange was a most agreeable vessel to sail on and I was really sorry to part company with her and all her crew. As for the Imperial Transport, I was on her for quite some time, as an apprentice for over a year and at a much later date as 3/0. I had nothing but affection for the old girl and would have happily remained there. No frills sure but happy all the way. However, promotion called. The last master I sailed with on her was something of a trial I'm bound to admit - no names mentioned. The ship, never.

homerus
22nd March 2009, 11:29
I spent 6 weeks on the Humboldt.Paid off during the strike.
We had no beer left then loaded up at Kiel on N years eve.Then it fell apart,next day with a murderous hangover & a force 12 to cheer us up.

Kalamaki Bob
22nd March 2009, 12:46
I spent 6 weeks on the Humboldt.Paid off during the strike.
We had no beer left then loaded up at Kiel on N years eve.Then it fell apart,next day with a murderous hangover & a force 12 to cheer us up.

Looks like it's done your short term memory as well (Jester) (double posting)[=P]

saltyswamp
23rd March 2009, 23:43
After Four months away couldn't wait to get off, but had affection(or was it afliction) for most as they all had their Quirks.
Stuart

marinero
24th March 2009, 16:17
After Four months away couldn't wait to get off, but had affection(or was it afliction) for most as they all had their Quirks.
Stuart

Now c'mon Stuart, you loved that ship from the heart of your bottom, or was it the other way round.
Regards
Leo (Jester) (Jester) (Jester)

Corky
27th March 2009, 21:38
I was sorry to leave the Humboldt for the last time in late '84 at Malta. She was handed over to the new owners there, along with the Elstree and Hornby Grange. Very sad to see all the Maltese Crosses (in Malta!) awaiting their fate.
I was hoping for some time at Malta, but it was not to be - I was paid off on arrival along with most of the crowd. I regret not having the time to get one last photo. The last Captain was Charlesworth, Brian Wilson was Mate, can't remember the Chief, but I think the 2nd was Davey Dawson. Lecky was Steve Hossack.

ray morgan
9th May 2009, 18:50
On a lovely summers saturday afternoon in Bassens on the SHAFTSBURY,loading grain for Chingwangtow we won the World Cup in a little bar across the road from the ship from what I can remember one hell of a day, never forgotten, Bosun Albert Ungi played the accordion till early hours, BRILLIANT never to be forgotten

guinnessmick
9th May 2009, 19:59
i did three trips on the swan river it total 14 months and it was the best ship i ever sailed on without a doubt

malachy
10th May 2009, 22:09
(K) HI All,
I will be probably be with many Houlders people who would say the Cerinthus was the ship they most hated to leave,but I think when leave was due we all liked too get home!! Did 15 months in two trips, but would have done the same if given the opportunity.
Although the ship did have it's problems which are noted in other threads, I think the combination of camaraderie,hard work,good fun, and professionalism made it a great experience.
oh happy days!!!!!!!!!!
vinny

K urgess
10th May 2009, 22:14
That's why, around here, she's known as "The World's Favourite Tanker".
Some of us forged strong links to her. (Thumb)

Guy41
27th May 2009, 22:34
In my experience, unless extremely unlucky, most trips were what you made of them. As mentioned by somebody earlier, some of the best times were had on some of the hardest working ships.

I suppose it goes to show that its the people aboard that make the ship and not necessarily the type or condition of the vessel or even the run it was on.

Some of the best trips I can remember where on Houlders gas tankers including Faraday and the oft-maligned Joule -more than once standing on the poop wearing our gas masks while the mate (wearing a neoprene viking suit) struggled to replace a corroded plug while a large cloud of ammonia slowly enveloped the ship. Or on the Cavendish singing "chain blocks keep falling on my head.." pulling carter pumps etc etc.. Most of these memories also seem to include images of cans of tennants "vitamine T"- all work hard/play hard.

However, despite many good memories during my "misspent youth" in the Gas fleet, the one ship that I definitely did not wish to leave was the OCEAN TRANSPORT,-Trips down the East Coast of S America to Buenos Aires, back to Liverpool, Glasgow or Swansea -home for 3 weeks then back again.

Despite doing just 2 trips as an 18 yr old cadet something must have struck a chord somewhere, because 14 years later I returned to BA, married a local girl and despite working in a couple of other countries , I have called the place home ever since.

Saludos

Guy

Old Bakelite
6th July 2009, 17:19
Test post to see if it stays up this time...

non descript
6th July 2009, 18:13
Test post to see if it stays up this time...

Yes this one is there, but the previous one was deleted as it was a duplicate of this one (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=337583#post337583) which is in the correct forum.

I can agree with your unspoken thoughts that the forums are strange when one first tries to find the way round, but in time it all makes sense.

As for you mixing Houlder Brothers up with other Companies….what can I say (Jester).... At least in your case, you started off on the straight and narrow under the Maltese Cross, even if TBFW lead you a merry dance later on…(EEK)
(Thumb)
Mark

Old Bakelite
6th July 2009, 19:09
Thanks Mark...you are quite right, I do struggle with these forums and the rules sometimes. Where exactly did the Chiltern Prince post end up?

Can I talk about the Abbey here? Do you remember Albert Ling? My mate and I sent him a post card from the south of France with naked sunbathers...told him we were working too hard on the Joule, no time to go ashore etc. and that the [new] Abbey sounded nice. Next thing you know we both ended up on her...big mistake. Weeks at anchor in Hampton Roads and my first (of many) visit(s) to Port Talbot, the highlights (!) amongst an otherwise dull cruise.

saltyswamp
11th October 2009, 20:31
Hi must say did 3 trips on Abbey and was a wrench to leave as you didn't know what was next. It was sad also to leave The Hornby Grange as we layed her up in Malta. Another one Down(Sad)

stuart

stan mayes
11th October 2009, 21:02
It is nice to read these comments of Houlder's.....Times change.
A few years ago they had Baronesa - Canonesa - Marquesa - Duquesa - Princesa ......all built in the 1918s.
They all had a bad reputation and it was definitely
'One trip and out!!'

tonymorcom
26th October 2010, 01:44
happiest memories for me were on the Cumbria in mid 1977 with 6 weeks in Vancouver ~ oh happy, happy days!

tell
26th October 2010, 03:31
there's another point I'd like to make about the Langton Grange, she was a superb ship to steer, we were enroute to Hamburg and this old mate, who was only with us around the land, called me out to have a look at the wake ... it was as straight as a die( i was helmsman)his name was Butler, one other factor I'd like to mention , when I was signing on he said oh another Butler then the bloke behing me was an OS and his name was Butler also

leigh ashton
10th March 2011, 16:44
Ocean Transport
great ship ,great crew ,running down to south america,BA anything between 2 and three weeks alongside,Santos homeward fantastic run ,who could ask for more.

merrymagpie
2nd May 2011, 11:44
I was sorry to leave the Humboldt for the last time in late '84 at Malta. She was handed over to the new owners there, along with the Elstree and Hornby Grange. Very sad to see all the Maltese Crosses (in Malta!) awaiting their fate.
I was hoping for some time at Malta, but it was not to be - I was paid off on arrival along with most of the crowd. I regret not having the time to get one last photo. The last Captain was Charlesworth, Brian Wilson was Mate, can't remember the Chief, but I think the 2nd was Davey Dawson. Lecky was Steve Hossack.

How could you forget the Chief was George Bruce!! Duncan McKenzie was 2/0, John Clark 3/0.

Mike

loco
7th May 2011, 02:01

A slight correction; I was on board the ELSTREE GRANGE when she was handed over to her new owners in New York, not Malta.
There were a number of us who laid the HORNBY GRANGE up in Malta, flew back to the UK for a week, then joined the ELSTREE for her final months before she too was sold.

Martyn

Corky
7th May 2011, 13:04
A slight correction; I was on board the ELSTREE GRANGE when she was handed over to her new owners in New York, not Malta.
There were a number of us who laid the HORNBY GRANGE up in Malta, flew back to the UK for a week, then joined the ELSTREE for her final months before she too was sold.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn and Mike - you are both right of course. I seem to remember that I was shipped out from Malta on the first flight after docking, the Cook Steward got plastered in the airport bar, and was knocking people over in the departure lounge with his trolley.

merrymagpie
7th May 2011, 22:26
I was on the Hornby when we laid her up in Malta. Spent about a week on the tank cleaning berth trying to get rid of a previous heavy fuel oil cargo and ended up seizing three cargo pumps trying to do it.Remember , me, the Bosun and the Old Man (Jaws)having to dress one of the crowd who had drank his docking bottle and was lying bollock naked on his bunk while the rest paid off! In the end me and the Bosun took him up to the local nick and get him locked up for the night! Apparently he made so much racket they kicked him out on the street at 3am. Still don't know if he made it home.
After a couple of weeks, went home for a month's leave and then went back to releive Dick Cropper as OIC for 3months.Spent 3 months in a pair of shorts over July, August and September until Dick releived me for the last couple of weeks before the ship was sold.Just me and the C/Eng (Willie Hilton and Barry McCoubrey onboard, so it was great when the Humboldt came in to be drydocked and sold and we had some company for a few weeks. Also we were given all the beer that the lads couldn't drink before they left, but they only left about 10 cases!

Mike

saltyswamp
11th May 2011, 23:00
Your lucky they left 10 cases.
Stuart

merrymagpie
11th May 2011, 23:18
Your lucky they left 10 cases.
Stuart

Aye Stuart, but they must have started off with about a hundred!!

Mike

Nick Batstone
12th May 2011, 20:10
M/V Lynton Grange, Feb - Aug 1979

Great Crowd

Mick Lapitt - What a loony
Blackie the greaser - What a character, Rang my Mum up when he got home and told her he had adopted me !!
Andy Wheeler the Cook - Nice Chap
And the proverbial scouse git, Billy Kettle

Great ship, Great crew (ably skippered by Mr Oddy) great run, great times.

David Menzies
14th May 2011, 21:10
I have posted a picture of the Westbury in Manchester 1977 as she was changing ownership. I had a visit on board too.
Dave Menzies Houlders. 1959- 64

tommy
15th May 2011, 11:10
I have posted a picture of the Westbury in Manchester 1977 as she was changing ownership. I had a visit on board too.
Dave Menzies Houlders. 1959- 64

David: When visiting the Westbury in Salford, could the year have been 1978 and not 1977. I was working by on her with the Salford shoregang from August 21st--September 15th 1978.

It brought back many happy memories for me. I signed on her May 8th 1969 as an EDH in Sydney. She had been out tramping then, but I was lucky went to Genoa then Liverpool.

I had my 21st birthday party on her going around South Africa the day the Yanks landed on the moon. I tried to do my watch lookout on the bridge, but was relieved of my duties for being drunk. Was logged and flogged . The Westbury will always be in the top 3 of my favourite ships. Regards Tommy

Robinj
19th May 2011, 12:52
Only ever sailed on the Ore Carriers but enjoyed them all.