Esperance Bay

oakdale
21st March 2009, 20:07
Hi Everyone this is my 1st thread on this forum so bear with me if I take a while to get the hang of how things work!!

I am trying to trace a guy who possibly sailed on the Esperance Bay in Dec 1948 bound for Australia. His name was John Clarke. Can anyone tell me how I can find out the ports of call from Southampton to Australia?

flingstop1
6th May 2009, 08:22
I sailed to Adelaide, South Australia in the Esperance bay in Feb 1948 but we left from Tilbury. The ports of call were Gibraltar (not allowed ashore) Malta, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Freemantle, Adelaide. I think the journey took about 5 weeks. My dad kept a diary.

spikovsky
13th March 2012, 18:47
Hi Everyone this is my 1st thread on this forum so bear with me if I take a while to get the hang of how things work!!

I am trying to trace a guy who possibly sailed on the Esperance Bay in Dec 1948 bound for Australia. His name was John Clarke. Can anyone tell me how I can find out the ports of call from Southampton to Australia?

I joined the Esperance Bay as a deck boy on that trip! She stopped at Malta, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Fremantle,Melbourne, Sydney and Newcastle NSW.I did three trips on her in the next couple of years. Other places that we ported on other trips were, Ceuta Morroco, Adelaide, Brisbane and Littleton/Christchurch New Zealand.

What was John Clarke's status, was he crew or a passenger?

R58484956
14th March 2012, 18:01
Greetings Oakdale and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.