R T ?

david.hopcroft
23rd March 2009, 21:44
Did anyone see the old photographs in the Daily Mail the other day showing the Met police in days of old. One picture was captioned that they were using RT - stands for Radio Telegraphy. Couldn't see the morse key though !!

David
+

CLIVE R786860
23rd March 2009, 23:00
Hi David were you R/O on the Trader

Santos
24th March 2009, 01:27
Did anyone see the old photographs in the Daily Mail the other day showing the Met police in days of old. One picture was captioned that they were using RT - stands for Radio Telegraphy. Couldn't see the morse key though !!

David
+

I think they meant Radio Transmissions, David - the press never get things right.

Chris.

holland25
24th March 2009, 02:01
R/T used to stand for Radio Telephone,W/T for Wireless Telegraphy.I have seen an old documentary about the French Police and they had morse keys in the car.

Moulder
24th March 2009, 10:09
The Met used to place recruitment adverts in the REOU 'Signal' and the MNAOA 'Telegraph' for ROs with a morse speed of 20-25 wpm during the 70's.

(Thumb)

andysk
24th March 2009, 14:29
The Sweeney on W/T - that conjours up some interesting pictures in the mind !

jimg0nxx
24th March 2009, 15:13
I remember seeing clips from an old pre-war film recently, the London Flying Squad were using morse from their cars.
Jim

ei6jf
24th March 2009, 15:26
The Met used to place recruitment adverts in the REOU 'Signal' and the MNAOA 'Telegraph' for ROs with a morse speed of 20-25 wpm during the 70's.

Was this possibily for Interpol nets at the time?

Mark

ian fears
24th March 2009, 15:30
I have a friend whos father was a wt operator at Scotland Yard there was a picture of him at the key on display in New Scotland Yard when my friend [ex superintendent ] showed me around the black museum and the rest of the yard , I wouldnt like to have used wt in a car chase ?

EJR Williams
24th March 2009, 15:40
Was it A Dit Dah (Think about it)................................Dit Dah Dit Dah Dit Dah

ok .- .-.

Moulder
24th March 2009, 17:05

Was this possibily for Interpol nets at the time?

Mark

I believe it could have been - indeed the French CRS used morse well into the 80s.

(Thumb)

R651400
24th March 2009, 21:16
I think if there was any demand for morse qualifications for a post in the police in the old days the connection would be Interpol.
RT in my time was radio telephony (voice) and WT wireless telegraphy (morse).

Shipbuilder
24th March 2009, 21:20
Agree with R651400, R/T was radio telephone, W/T was wireless telegraphy!
Bob

non descript
24th March 2009, 21:31
I thought they had a senior officer in the force called Inn Spectre Morse… but maybe he just hung around like a ghost checking up on licensing hours and making key points…..(Jester)

EJR Williams
24th March 2009, 21:46
ooooh getting worse !

andysk
26th March 2009, 18:46
Tonga, with comments like that, I really think you need to spend a little recuperation time on that new island of yours !!!!

Roger Bentley
27th March 2009, 18:25
I have a copy of The Marconi Book of Wireless published in 1936 there are three pictures illustrating use of morse by the Met. Hope this comes out OK. Just like the overcoats and hats. Cheers, Roger

trotterdotpom
27th March 2009, 18:34
I suppose they used copper aerials, Roger.

John T.

non descript
27th March 2009, 19:48
I suppose they used copper aerials, Roger.

John T.

They used to be Copper, but they were Nicked, now they have to Plod their way back to the Station, before they can Call, Sign, or Book their watch….

Can it get any worse?
(EEK)

Roger Bentley
27th March 2009, 20:36
They used to be Copper, but they were Nicked, now they have to Plod their way back to the Station, before they can Call, Sign, or Book their watch….

Can it get any worse?
(EEK)

Oh yes it Can! Must post the one of the airborne copper of the same period! Watch this space Cheers Roger

david.hopcroft
27th March 2009, 21:38
I think they meant Radio Transmissions, David - the press never get things right.

Chris.

Chris - I always thought it was Telephony, as used on 2182khz

+

Santos
27th March 2009, 22:06
I've no idea David - I got lost after they took my tin can and piece of string off me (Jester) and then there was also a threepenny piece for the phone. If all else failed, then blow your whistle, which I am pleased to see is being re issued.

Chris.

mikeg
28th March 2009, 20:08

Can it get any worse?
(EEK)

Were they charged and put in a dry cell? (Smoke)

trotterdotpom
29th March 2009, 00:20
The Bobbies had those police boxes that they copied from Doctor Who. There was a telephone inside but they still needed a key to use it.

John T.

mikeg
29th March 2009, 02:23
Wasn't it Doctor Who who copied the police box or perhaps it was some sort of space-time continuem thing? There, that'll make the mind boggle...

Moulder
29th March 2009, 10:06
The Bobbies had those police boxes that they copied from Doctor Who. There was a telephone inside but they still needed a key to use it.

John T.

Not 'had' Trotts - 'have' - there's still a working 'Tardis' in London.

Steve.
(Thumb)

trotterdotpom
29th March 2009, 12:31
Where is it Steve, I might have a look at it in a couple of months? Is there a Darlek inside playing the didgereedoo?

John T.

sparkie2182
29th March 2009, 17:04
if there is........

it wont be able to climb the stairs.

trotterdotpom
29th March 2009, 17:55
I found one - it's outside Earls Court tube station. According to wikipedia, it's "bristling with new technology". That must mean the camera on top, which is replaced every week and deters visitors from spraying "MUFC" on the "box".

Is it true that, due to the aforementioned space-time continuum, it has been possible to relocate all New Scotland Yard operations into the box, thereby permitting the building to be used as a hostel for illegal immigrants arriving stuck to the front of the Eurostar?

John T.

non descript
29th March 2009, 18:04
Were they charged and put in a dry cell? (Smoke)

Some say that the seamen who manned these police cars, were called Z Tars..

Moulder
29th March 2009, 20:30
I found one - it's outside Earls Court tube station.

John T.

Thats the one - outside the Earls Court Road entrance.

(Thumb)