Displacement oilers

Cangarda
28th March 2009, 14:54
Does anyone have any information on the care and feeding of an old style displacement or hydrostatic steam cylinder oiler on a triple expansion engine? CANGARDA has one on her Sullivan engine which I have renewed with new sight glass and valve stem seals but have no idea how to regulate the thing.

spc

JoK
28th March 2009, 20:32
If it is the one I think it is, you adjust the oil flow with a screw on top of each cylinder. Screw down lessens the flow, screw up to increase.
The oil flow should be adjusted to a drop every ??? seconds. I'm sorry, I can't remember right now. If you have too much oil flow you will contaminate the returns and foul the duplex and HP filters so you have to be careful.

I just remembered, I am thinking of a Manzol lubricator-is this what you have?

Cangarda
28th March 2009, 22:20
I don't think so. This is a single drip for the whole engine (300hp). It mounts between the throttle and HP receiver. This picture is before overhaul, bulb goes up. I don't have a picture of it installed yet. I've cleaned it, put in all new gaskets and seals, new glass. Can't figure what the valve at lower left in the picture does (on the top inboard as installed). spc

Beartracks
12th April 2009, 23:10
[QUOTE=Cangarda;306153]I don't think so. This is a single drip for the whole engine (300hp). It mounts between the throttle and HP receiver. This picture is before overhaul, bulb goes up. I don't have a picture of it installed yet. I've cleaned it, put in all new gaskets and seals, new glass. Can't figure what the valve at lower left in the picture does (on the top inboard as installed). spc[/QUOTE)

Steve;

This is device for introducing Cylinder Oil into the engine. This provides lubrication between the piston rings and cylinder liners. The cylinder oil is introduced into the HP cylinder and has to be of sufficient quantity to provide lubrication to the IP as well as the LP without carrying over into the condenser. You normally have towelling as well as Loofah Sponges in the hot well to filter out cylinder oil before it goes into the boilers but one doesn't want to overwhelm the filtration hence the need for metering. The picture is hard to deduce but in order for the device to work properly you need a portal for steam to enter the lubricator and another for the steam oil mixture to exit the Lubricator you will need a third portail to allow the cylinder oil to be drawn into and metered by the process of the venturi effect of the inlet steam.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I'm doing Boiler Casualty surveys for Insurance Companies as well as supervising steam turbine over hauls at the Paper Mill in Scowhegan. I'm also in the process of drafting a six week QMED training course which I'll teach at the Mid Coast Technical School. It has to be approved by the IMO and the USCG prior to being taught.

Best Regards;
Hugh Curran aka Beartracks