Google and shipsnostalgia

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
23rd August 2005, 15:50
Hello everyone!

Hardly come aboard and already asking questions!

If, for example, I enter "ss makalla" or "ss matra", in the GOOGLE search box, the shipsnostalgia link will appear in the results list.
But if I enter the name "dashwood-howard" in GOOGLE there is no link to shipsnostalgia shown in the results, although the name frequently appears in the site.
Does this mean that perhaps only the headings or other key data and nothing from the commentaries under the pictures are picked up by GOOGLE and is that intentional? Perhaps it's a question of funding if deeper results are made available? I mention this as I know there are sites where GOOGLE picks up names mentioned anywhere in the texts.

Similarly, in shipsnostalgia itself, if I enter dashwood-howard in the "Search Gallery" box, I get all the images Stuart has posted for me, except the recent Radio Rifle film one. Any idea why? Perhaps there's an expert around somewhere who knows!

Douglas

Doug Rogers
24th August 2005, 07:01
Stay tuned Douglas, am sure that someone will be able to advise on that score in spades (probably buckets too).

Steve
24th August 2005, 09:19
Your profile is hidden from the Google spiders, we only allow them to take what we want them to take ie thread headers. For the avoidence of doubt from our more fragile members E mail addresses and personal details in your profiles are also very safe behind locked doors deep in the bowels of the ship.

thunderd
24th August 2005, 09:36
deep in the bowels of the ship

Not sure I like the idea of being in the bowels

thunderd
24th August 2005, 09:45
Too Bad if you don't like being in the bowels Derek! Steve is doing his best to protect identities of members.
For crying out loud Zelda I was only joking

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
24th August 2005, 10:30
Your profile is hidden from the Google spiders, we only allow them to take what we want them to take ie thread headers. For the avoidence of doubt from our more fragile members E mail addresses and personal details in your profiles are also very safe behind locked doors deep in the bowels of the ship.
Thanks Steve,

Very logical and praiseworthy that Members Profiles and particularly their e-mail addresses are hidden from the Google spiders, but is it really necessary to also hide the content of Gallery texts from them?

Certainly that now clearly explains why entering, for example, "dashwood-howard" in Google doesn't bring up shipsnostalgia as a link. On the other hand, if someone out there is looking for for info on a person he knew was a seafarer, indeed if he is looking for an old shipmate, his first step would probably be to enter the name in Google. That name might be mentioned dozens of times in the Gallery or elsewhere in shipsnostalgia but the searcher wouldn't ever find the entries because he wouldn't be given the link to our website.

Would there be any harm in showing in some way that there is info in shipsnostalgia but that it is necessary to register for access? There is a website for the Arbuthnot family which works on this basis - you will see that there is info available but you must register before you can view it.

Don't want to make an issue of this as I'm more than happy with the site as it is, but as a family historian it just occurred to me that a deeper search facility could be useful!

I've found the answer to my second original question as to why the Radio Rifle image which Stuart recently posted doesn't come up like all the others when dashwood-howard is entered in the "Search Gallery" box - it's because that is the only image which doesn't contain the words Dashwood-Howard in the main text - also completely logical!

---------
Douglas

Douglas Dashwood-Howard
26th August 2005, 16:36
Since yesterday or Wednesday, entering "dashwood-howard" in Google results in the display of an appropriate link to shipsnostalgia, that not having been the case when I posted my original question.

So either someone on site administration has done something technical (my thanks to them if that's the case) or it just takes a while for the Google computers to include new information in their results listings!

In any event, the problem is now solved.
---------
Douglas