staff commander eric c harvey 1932 -1973

harvey/kennedy
30th March 2009, 12:46
hello, i'm one of the daughters of the late eric harvey. It is many years since his untimely death, on board the ss oranje in 1973, and my mother leads us to believe while doing the gay gordons. It is approaching what would be there 50th wedding anniversary, and she has become quite nostalgic. Does anyone out there remember him. If so, it would be nice to hear a comment, or a photo if you have any.
I have found the unioncastle.net, and found his name on some of the crew lists, which is a nice memory for my own son to see.
Hope to receive some messages, with thanks.
Carol A Harvey

non descript
30th March 2009, 12:51
Carol, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. I am sure you will get some quality feed-back on your father and his ships, so enjoy the news and comment that will flow your way.
(Thumb)
Mark

billyboy
30th March 2009, 12:54
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

fred henderson
30th March 2009, 13:33
I wish you a warm welcome to the site Carol. You may have already discovered that there are a lot of SA Oranje photographs in the Galleries, which can be located by following: -

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=306485
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=306478

Some of the photos are of Dutch ships named Oranje, but I am sure that you will be able to sort them out.

Fred (Thumb)

bert thompson
30th March 2009, 14:36
Welcome Carol and hope you soon find answers to your query
Best wishes
Bert.

Bruce Carson
30th March 2009, 14:53
Carol, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia, it's good to have you onboard.
Good to see that our members are coming through with some help.

Bruce

K urgess
30th March 2009, 15:26
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Carol.
I see the crew have been helpful already and I'm sure that will continue.
Enjoy the voyage.

Chris Isaac
30th March 2009, 15:53
Carol
The memory fades with time but I am fairly sure I sailed with your father on either Capetown Castle or Reina del Mar. He would have been chief officer then whilst I was either fourth or third officer.
As I recall he was of medium height with dark hair and was always a cheerful man, good "mail ship material" as he would he been known.
I am sure though that I remember his passing, I was on Pendennis Castle at the time and the news went round the fleet pretty quickly. The Gay Gordons also rings a huge bell with me. It never ceases to amaze me what memories are recalled by another's memories.
Don't think I can add much more but there are plenty of other members of The Lavender Hull Mob here so I am sure they will share their recollections.

fred henderson
30th March 2009, 20:11
Moved as you suggest Chris.

Fred (Thumb)

harvey/kennedy
30th March 2009, 22:48
Hi Chris, thank you for your reply, and a good description of my dad. I didn't realise that he sailed on either of these two ships, certainly the Edinburgh Castle and the Pendennis Castle.
Thanks again for taking time out to reply.
Best wishes
Carol H

Chris Isaac
31st March 2009, 08:02
Then it is entirely possible that it was Pendennis Castle. I was on her for quite some time and got through a few chief officers.
Kind regards

harvey/kennedy
8th April 2009, 21:03
thanks to everyone who has responded. It means alot, and to Chris, I have since found out, that my father did sail on the Reina Del Mar, and on the Ayrshire, which I find quite ironic as I live in Ayrshire, and your amazing account of her on the Unioncastle.Net.
So thanks again to everyone.
Carol

Fred Field
25th March 2013, 16:18
hello, i'm one of the daughters of the late eric harvey. It is many years since his untimely death, on board the ss oranje in 1973, and my mother leads us to believe while doing the gay gordons. It is approaching what would be there 50th wedding anniversary, and she has become quite nostalgic. Does anyone out there remember him. If so, it would be nice to hear a comment, or a photo if you have any.
I have found the unioncastle.net, and found his name on some of the crew lists, which is a nice memory for my own son to see.
Hope to receive some messages, with thanks.
Carol A Harvey

Carol,
I know it is a long time since your post but I have only recently 'found' this site.
I was Extra Second Engineer on the Oranje when your father died, doing my 'steam time'.
I cannot confirm that the dance was the 'Gay Gordons' but it was on the dance floor.
It was my first trip on the ship and your father had introduced himself to me but other than that I can tell you very little.
One irony of it was that was the only 'death on board' during my 'steam time' Sept '73-Aug '74. For one of the passenger mail-boats that was a long time.
I did attend the burial service, the only notable thing about that was just after it finished the Nursing Sister's uniform hat blew off and was lost over the side.
As I recollect the Engineers did send 'something' to your mother but I cannot remember what.
Anyway my belated condolences to you and your family.
Regards
Fred