Anchor Line Glasgow

PKiddell
24th August 2005, 10:28
ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND.

R58484956
24th August 2005, 12:55
Welcome PK,you are now amongts the the sea loving fraternity, although it seems most of us left it a few years ago, but only physically, our minds are still there.

michael james
24th August 2005, 20:52
Welcome PK to SN,
Hope you enjoy the site and feel sure there are members who will be able to assist you - may even be an old shipmate around.

PKiddell
25th August 2005, 06:59
Thanks Senior member and Mike , I might strike lucky,though there is a lot of water through the engine room since 1954.
PK.

Fairfield
26th August 2005, 14:31
A memory of the Anchor Line in Glasgow:the houseflag at the East end of Yorkhill Quay taken in the 1970s when it was still quite legible.
Faded away over the years and now is covered by a hoarding for one of the many companies occupying the sheds nowadays.

michael james
26th August 2005, 20:14
Paul,
A bit of history covered up, but at least it still exists at the moment, for how much longer - until some developer comes along I suspect ? Every year goes by I get more cynical.

joesoap
22nd October 2005, 21:15
ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND. Hello PK I made my first trip deep sea on the Egidea. That wass on the Suez crisis when she was comandeered by the government. I signed on for the following trip as she resumed the Bombay run. Don't remember the engineers but the e/r storekeeper was John Docherty , the old man was Wille Mc Vicar and the mate was a hard man by the name of Mclarty. I was a mere DHUand was the sailors peggy , were you there? Joesoap

thunderd
22nd October 2005, 23:27
Welcome to SN it seems already you are getting some feedback, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

janbonde
23rd October 2005, 18:00
Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false

firey
1st December 2005, 21:55
PK I sailed with a Chief Engineer Henderson , on, I think it was the Exmoor in the late 70's which might have been the same guy. At this stage iI didn't know who I was working for Anchor line or Runcimans.

Robinj
1st December 2005, 23:52
Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false
Its true always plenty of spare whisky on the NY run care of dockers and anchor Line.(Sidonia)

firey
2nd December 2005, 00:09
Egidia not my first ship,however sailed on the following with Anchor Line ,Exmoor x 2,Caledonia x2,Hazelmoor, Calabria x 2 and Eucadia. Left Anchor line 1980 when they stated selling off most of their ships.
Did experience the bombay trips or ofcourse it is now got a fancy new name.
Firey

John Cassels
2nd December 2005, 21:24
Any old Anchor line guys remember a chief engineer Jimmy Meikle.

sailed with him a couple of times when he joined Denholms.
Used to tell us that his baldness was caused the the proximity of the
upper bunk when entertaining female passengers on the lower bunk.

He was a great chap - everyone from the Master down was "hey thingmy".

Still have his receipy for "Meikle's clooty dumpling".

JC

firey
2nd December 2005, 23:58
JC

Most name escape me now but I can remember a notable indvidual "Wacker Duncan" who was a 3/e at the time and I can remember he lived in Gourock. He always referred to his wife as the bint. Sailed with him in 1977, I don't know if this was your era. The old man at the time was John Swan.
Regards
Firey

John Cassels
3rd December 2005, 11:05
firey,

Never sailed with Anchor line, but always with Denholms which was where I sailed
with Jimmy Meikle. Always lived in Gourock but don't remember a 3/e Duncan.

JC

PKiddell
31st December 2005, 09:44
Hi Janbonde, during my time on the Egidia we did the whisky run to New York then down to Baltimore to load wheat for the U.K. and like you were told cargo whisky flowed freely curtesy of the wharfies and the Highland deck crew. One trip on arrival at New York the cargo assessors refused to allow No.1 hold to be unloaded due to the pillage , and that might have been the trip that we arrived back at Yorkhill with the crew still drinking t0he stuff. Good smugglers!!!

PKiddell
31st December 2005, 09:56
Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.

PKiddell
31st December 2005, 10:06
Hi Joesoap, luckily didn't do out East on the Egidia,but remember well the time we spent alongside Bombay on the Cilicia,it was work from 6am to midday then off to Breach Candy ( not sure of the spelling) for the afternoon, then the ultimate an evening at the mission for a warm beer, because of prohibition I think we were only allowed one beer.. Still it was all a great experience and good to look back on.

firey
31st December 2005, 16:01
Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.

PK

It sound like the same chap he was a charming guy .When I sailed with him (1977)he had his wife with him but during the trip he didn't keep the best of health 4 months anchored off Iran did't help.
Firey

Wainui
19th January 2006, 23:25
I was a passenger on the Circassia in 1956.
Good feeder (Eat)

helen
31st January 2006, 22:33
My dad sailed on the Egidia and relates the Whisky Galore saga, including being put into No.1 Hatch to secure some of the liquid gold.

firey
1st February 2006, 14:24
Hi Helen,

When did your dad sail with Anchor line. If you do a search in the gallery you will find a photo of her . It may not be the same one but youy provide dates the lads on the forum with the expertise will find the right one.

Cheers

Firey

helen
1st February 2006, 22:33
I have typed reply twice. Can't get sense out of computer tonight. H

helen
1st February 2006, 22:40
Hi Helen,

When did your dad sail with Anchor line. If you do a search in the gallery you will find a photo of her . It may not be the same one but youy provide dates the lads on the forum with the expertise will find the right one.

Cheers

Firey

3rd time lucky - will keep short. Dates: 4.1.60 - 21.3.62. My dad did picture folder with all ships sailed on. People mentioned: Captains: McVicar, Thomson, Colquhoun, Ramage, Henderson, Purser: McSherry and Third Mate: Dave Tripp (life long friend after). H.

Robinj
4th February 2006, 21:14
Hi Helen, I did my first trip to sea on the Egidia Dec. 1961 to Mar 1962 as 2nd R/O. Skipper was Alf Colquhoun, Chief R/O was P.J. Kelly. The name Dave Tripp rings a bell buts thats all.

muldonaich
4th February 2006, 23:42
isailed on ecudia ramage old man barclay mate ben gunn bosun bjimmy docherty chippy mixed crew very happy ship kev

helen
17th February 2006, 01:01
Hi Helen, I did my first trip to sea on the Egidia Dec. 1961 to Mar 1962 as 2nd R/O. Skipper was Alf Colquhoun, Chief R/O was P.J. Kelly. The name Dave Tripp rings a bell buts thats all.

Philip Joseph Kelly - that's my dad! Hope he treated you well! You are the first person I have ever met who knew him! Another breakthrough in this mamoth research task. If you read my earlier e-mail here his Memoirs give the names of some of the captains. "Colquhoun, or "Big Angus" as he was affectionately referred to, simplified the approach to captaincy and liked the quiet life probably on account of his Highland upbringing." This is brilliant. If its possible to get in touch on site you are welcome to read the chapter. I will leave it up to you. Jim McSherry (Purser). Dave Tripp joined as Third Mate. Later went on to captain Ferries - Strathearn to Larne if I recall correctly. I am sure he passed away quite young, but would have to check.
Wait to hear from you and thank you for replying, its made my night!
Helen

Robinj
18th February 2006, 00:31
Hi Helen, Thanks for the offer, will contact you via e-mail. Your Dad treated me fine. I remember he liked a wee dram or two and he taught me more than any college did of the tricks of the trade. As I've said will contact you.

helen
18th February 2006, 19:58
Hi Helen, Thanks for the offer, will contact you via e-mail. Your Dad treated me fine. I remember he liked a wee dram or two and he taught me more than any college did of the tricks of the trade. As I've said will contact you.

Hi Robin,

Yes, correct, he did like a wee dram or two. Must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven when that consignment of Whisky arrived! (Applause) Wait to hear from you. Helen

robertblack36
3rd July 2006, 16:35
MV Tarantia:- I sailed on this vessel 1956/57 as 5th/4th engr.We were on the Newyork run. We were sent on the Bombay run during the Suez
caper. Went back on to the Newyork run after that trip. This brings me to the Whiskey Galore situations that seem to apply to the vessels on that run.
On watch one night 8-12, I noticed that the tunnel bilges were high. I told the oiler to pump them out, nothing seemed to be happening, so I started the pump up and went into the tunnel. As the level went down boxes of whiskey started to appear.The whiskey was recovered and sent up to the deck. needless to say one or two of the crates went astray during the transfer. The chief Engineer was Jimmy Meikle the well known Rangers supporter. As a junior engr. it was my job to get the football results for the chief. I was fed up getting field days from him if Rangers lost, he was aware that I was also a Rangers fan, I kept telling him, but,to no avail.
He was a good engineer and I gained a lot of knowledge from him.

John Cassels
3rd July 2006, 20:29
MV Tarantia:- I sailed on this vessel 1956/57 as 5th/4th engr.We were on the Newyork run. We were sent on the Bombay run during the Suez
caper. Went back on to the Newyork run after that trip. This brings me to the Whiskey Galore situations that seem to apply to the vessels on that run.
On watch one night 8-12, I noticed that the tunnel bilges were high. I told the oiler to pump them out, nothing seemed to be happening, so I started the pump up and went into the tunnel. As the level went down boxes of whiskey started to appear.The whiskey was recovered and sent up to the deck. needless to say one or two of the crates went astray during the transfer. The chief Engineer was Jimmy Meikle the well known Rangers supporter. As a junior engr. it was my job to get the football results for the chief. I was fed up getting field days from him if Rangers lost, he was aware that I was also a Rangers fan, I kept telling him, but,to no avail.
He was a good engineer and I gained a lot of knowledge from him.

Robert,

sailed with Jimmy Meikle quite a number of times in Denholms.

A great guy, everyone (from the Master down) was "thingmy".

Still have his recepie for meikle's clooty dumpling, dated 31st.
Dec.1973.

JC

Banni
7th July 2006, 21:49
A friend of mine William (Bill) Irons (engineer), sailed on the Caledonia and Tyria in the late 1950's.

Norm
7th October 2006, 04:53
Do any ex Anchor line people knew of a Mr Burns who worked in the Glasgow office during the 1960's. He used to live down the road from us and went off to work every day dressed like a director....maybe he was one.
Just wondering if anyone remembers him.

hornblower
15th March 2007, 22:22
Hi Everyone,

A good mate of mine served on the "Highland" which was a Currie Line vessel.I believe she then became part of the Anchor Line fleet.Has anyone got a photo of the Highland that they can let me have please, so that I can pass it on to him. He's been trying to find one for ages,and as he's been a good mate over the years I'd like to help him out.

Here's hoping.

Regards
Steve

albatross1923
17th September 2007, 16:43
Thanks Senior member and Mike , I might strike lucky,though there is a lot of water through the engine room since 1954.
PK.

Hello Peter
May be i can help you alot of water has passed through my engine
room since 1947 when i joined MV Egidia 60 years ago a few names for you
Chief Engrs near enough your time
W DUNCAN J FERGUSSON R SCOTT J.KEAY C.FRAISER W.MCALLUM

YOURS ALBATROSS 1923
IAIN LINDSAY

Riptide
23rd November 2007, 02:11
Hello Firey.
I sailed on the Caledonia,Hazelmoor,Cameronia & Kirriemoor between 10-5-76 to 31-12-77. as 3rd eng. Also on the Solvent Discoverer 78-79 Hated that one.
Kenny.

ARGK342
14th January 2008, 21:19
The second ship I sailed on [4th Engineer] was the M.V. Egidia however, I fear it would not be the one spoken of by the other chaps on here.

I believe she was originally known as the "Duncansville" or "Donaldswood" [?] and had been bought [in a very sorry state, if truth be told] from a Greek company. This would have been circa 1977/78.

I joined her in Manchester and we hit Glasgow, Swansea and Marseille before heading through the Suez to Aden and on to Bombay and Karachi [both several times]. Then it was non-stop back to Glasgow where I paid off. A total of 7 months.

She was in such a state that none of the Anchor Line engineers would sail on her but I enjoyed every single minute aboard. (Thumb)

JimC
10th April 2008, 16:03
3rd time lucky - will keep short. Dates: 4.1.60 - 21.3.62. My dad did picture folder with all ships sailed on. People mentioned: Captains: McVicar, Thomson, Colquhoun, Ramage, Henderson, Purser: McSherry and Third Mate: Dave Tripp (life long friend after). H.
Hi there!
Sailed with almost all of these lads. My ships were: Sidonia, Cilicia and Circassia. I sailed as 3M on the Sidonia on the New York run. What a ship that was.. GLasgow for whiskey, whiskey liquuers and barrels of Cutty Sark then down to Le harve for Cognac and wine then off to N.York. Discharge at NY then down to Nrfolk and Newport News for tubs of tobacco leaf then back to NY and fill the holds with barrel staves and Girly mags for the Bristol Channel. Bristol Channel: discharge part tobacco and mags and load Harvey's Bristol Cream then up to Greenock and finally Glasgow - discharging the remaing cargo on the way. Start all over again! What a life!
Remember being on nights during loading at Yorkhill Quay and seeing operation stopped to allow discharge of drunken dockers on a cargo tray. Also seeing a polis Land Rover (and crew) being caught in the act by their collegues - helping them selves to a few for the 'station party'.
On leaving the Clyde, everyone bought a 'docking bottle' from the bond. This was usually empty on arrival at NY. The drill was to leave the empty under your pillow - leave the cabin for a while, Lo-and-be-hold; on returning the good (Lonngshoreman) fairy had filled it for you... Sadly I don't believe in Fairies any more!
Last Anchor Line man I met was John Swan. That was around 1983. he was examiner for Yaghties for VHF restricted Licences at Troon.
Capt McVicar died a couple of years ago I think he went back to Campbeltown. He got the G Medal as a cadet during the war for saving survivors in a lifeboat he commanded . He sailed it across the Atlantic to the Brazillian coast (I think). Capt. Ramage survived an ice pick attack by his 'tiger' whom he had known for years. The poor guy just went completely nuts. He was the brother of Angus McVicar the author of childeren's books.

JimC
10th April 2008, 16:07
Hi there!
Sailed with almost all of these lads. My ships were: Sidonia, Cilicia and Circassia. I sailed as 3M on the Sidonia on the New York run. What a ship that was.. GLasgow for whiskey, whiskey liquuers and barrels of Cutty Sark then down to Le harve for Cognac and wine then off to N.York. Discharge at NY then down to Nrfolk and Newport News for tubs of tobacco leaf then back to NY and fill the holds with barrel staves and Girly mags for the Bristol Channel. Bristol Channel: discharge part tobacco and mags and load Harvey's Bristol Cream then up to Greenock and finally Glasgow - discharging the remaing cargo on the way. Start all over again! What a life!
Remember being on nights during loading at Yorkhill Quay and seeing operation stopped to allow discharge of drunken dockers on a cargo tray. Also seeing a polis Land Rover (and crew) being caught in the act by their collegues - helping them selves to a few for the 'station party'.
On leaving the Clyde, everyone bought a 'docking bottle' from the bond. This was usually empty on arrival at NY. The drill was to leave the empty under your pillow - leave the cabin for a while, Lo-and-be-hold; on returning the good (Lonngshoreman) fairy had filled it for you... Sadly I don't believe in Fairies any more!
Last Anchor Line man I met was John Swan. That was around 1983. he was examiner for Yaghties for VHF restricted Licences at Troon.
Capt McVicar died a couple of years ago I think he went back to Campbeltown. He got the G Medal as a cadet during the war for saving survivors in a lifeboat he commanded . He sailed it across the Atlantic to the Brazillian coast (I think). Capt. Ramage survived an ice pick attack by his 'tiger' whom he had known for years. The poor guy just went completely nuts. He was the brother of Angus McVicar the author of childeren's books.
Sorry about that - typed (obviously) in a hurry - got to get my Cutty Sark before the shop closes. Obviously; Angus McVical was neither the brother of the 'nut case' nor of Capt. Ramage - hope you spotted my deliberate mistake!

John Cassels
10th April 2008, 19:49
Jim , I envy you , what a trip. Did you ever sail with Ch.eng. Jimmy Meikle ?.

Robinj
10th April 2008, 23:14
Hi JimC, When were you on the Sidonia I was R/O fron June 1964 to Sept 1965. Remember well all the whisky bought?? and drunk whilst on board. Alf Colquhoun was the old man and if I remember right Bobby L---muir!!!(spelling) was 2/0. Other names are gone I'm afraid. The only name that really sticks is John Kennedy who was releiving purser most trips.

JimC
11th April 2008, 13:16
Jim , I envy you , what a trip. Did you ever sail with Ch.eng. Jimmy Meikle ?.

Hi John!

Yes. I'm sure I sailed with Jimmy.. If I remember him; he was tall, had a dark fringe and smoked a pipe - bit like old 'Popeye' McAllister in Denholms (pipe I mean!). He also had- again if I remember right- a very lud deep voice and was always taking the mickey! Its seems i remember a really nice guy.

Jim

JimC
11th April 2008, 13:25
Hi JimC, When were you on the Sidonia I was R/O fron June 1964 to Sept 1965. Remember well all the whisky bought?? and drunk whilst on board. Alf Colquhoun was the old man and if I remember right Bobby L---muir!!!(spelling) was 2/0. Other names are gone I'm afraid. The only name that really sticks is John Kennedy who was releiving purser most trips.

Yes Robin remember big Angus Calquhoun.. he had a son at sea I think.. they family came on board.
Bobby Langmuir and I go back to the very beginning. We were together at James Watt for pre-sea training. Then again for 2nd. Mate. Also sailed together on - I think - the 'Cilicia'... a real character an very nice guy.
Big John Kennedy I remember as well. At that time he was tall, had fair hair and wore glasses. Think he came from Sutherland or Wester Ross. Also remember Cach-mohr McKenzie - the Lecky. Great piper. John Swan was second mate when I was there and Bobby something or other from Newton Mearns was mate. A wee man with thinning hair who looked a bit like the actor Peter Lorre. (Sorry Bobby if your on line!)

All the best,

Jim.

JimC
11th April 2008, 13:40
Paul,
A bit of history covered up, but at least it still exists at the moment, for how much longer - until some developer comes along I suspect ? Every year goes by I get more cynical.

Hi Michael!

Was back in Glasgow a few weeks ago and visited the New Science Centre. If you look across river from there you can still see the tower where the Marine Super had his office. I think the 'Tall ship' is now berthed where we used to lie. Perhaps a letter to the Glasgow Transport Museum may yet save the old Anchor Line sign for posterity. I also visited the remnants of the old Transport Museum in the old Kelvin Hall (to be moved to a new place soon). They still have that great scale model of the' Cilicia' and I was able to show my grand children where my cabin was. Was even able to remind my son where he was put down to sleep and watched over by a stewars while my wife and I did the round of the ship. (My son is now 46"!).

Regards,

Jim

JimC
11th April 2008, 14:12
S'me again!

Dug out an old draining spoon I found in a long dead Aunties effects. It is a souvenir from the T.S.S. 'Tuscania' built for Anchor Line (Hendersons) by Fairfields in 1921. Scrapped in Japan in the sixties. Here's a picture of it together with a picture of the ship itself. It seems she was twin screw driven by six turbines giving a max speed of 16 knots.
I also found 'loot' from my days with the company. There's a picture here too. see if you can gusees what it is and more to the point - where it is!.

Jim C.

John Cassels
11th April 2008, 20:02
Hi John!

Yes. I'm sure I sailed with Jimmy.. If I remember him; he was tall, had a dark fringe and smoked a pipe - bit like old 'Popeye' McAllister in Denholms (pipe I mean!). He also had- again if I remember right- a very lud deep voice and was always taking the mickey! Its seems i remember a really nice guy.

Jim

Jim . That's Mr.Meikle for sure. Sailed with him a few times in Denholms.
Still have his recepie for "Meikle's Clootie Dumpling ". He was a guest at our
wedding in 1974. Spoke with such a broad Glaswegian accent that my
Dutch wife and her family could hardly understand him , but he stole the show. A really great guy.

Robinj
11th April 2008, 20:56
Yes Robin remember big Angus Calquhoun.. he had a son at sea I think.. they family came on board.
Bobby Langmuir and I go back to the very beginning. We were together at James Watt for pre-sea training. Then again for 2nd. Mate. Also sailed together on - I think - the 'Cilicia'... a real character an very nice guy.
Big John Kennedy I remember as well. At that time he was tall, had fair hair and wore glasses. Think he came from Sutherland or Wester Ross. Also remember Cach-mohr McKenzie - the Lecky. Great piper. John Swan was second mate when I was there and Bobby something or other from Newton Mearns was mate. A wee man with thinning hair who looked a bit like the actor Peter Lorre. (Sorry Bobby if your on line!)

All the best,

Jim.

Can't remember the leckies name, but he played the guitar and was always playing and singing Frank Sinatra songs. Big John came from Dunbeath I think it was. The rest can't remember.

JimC
12th April 2008, 14:53
Can't remember the leckies name, but he played the guitar and was always playing and singing Frank Sinatra songs. Big John came from Dunbeath I think it was. The rest can't remember.
Old age cometh not alone as they say. can't remembr if I posted this before but:
The mates name was Bobby Watt.. not Peter Lorre! Actually he probably left before you joined as did the Lecky Robertson. I joined the ship after her maiden voyage when she caught fire in NY. Left her at the end of 62 to go on the 'C' boats. Bobby Langmuir probably left the Cilicia at the end of 63 to join the Sidonia.. perhaps?????

A ra best
as they say,
Di-dah, di-dah-dit!
Jim

Harryg
16th April 2008, 20:42
Sailed with Exmoor as a first trip Jnr Engineer, joined her in Antwerp where she was unloading steel coils. Then sailed to Gdynia/Gdansk to load Cement (tug wrapped line around prop and chief mate thought he could go and cut line with a BA).
Then sailed to Bandar Shapour and swung by the hook for a few months before tying up. Met people from Fort Nelson (CP) after swaping Walport Movies got address and joined CP when I got back to UK, seem to remember a Common Brothers sheep carrier(forgotten her name) we ended up on her sharing a few tins of Tennents export lagers. Also remember meeting up with Glasgow Greek ship’s crew (forget her name) and getting barred with them from the only bar in Bandar Shapour.

JMSTEWART002
29th April 2008, 21:31
My father, Donald Stewart, from Lewis sailed on the Tarantia to Norway probably pre 1955, does anyone have a picture of this vessel? It's the only one of all the ships he sailed on that he doesn't have a photograph of.

John M. Stewart

1st May 2008, 20:10
I remember Wacker very well. I "coasted" with him on a number of occasions and although it was a long time ago I think it was on the Glenmoor and perhaps the Eucadia. He was a really good guy and a real pleasure to work with. I have very happy memories of my time at Anchor Line and the following personel. Jim Olsen C/E, Sid Karim 2/E, Ian (Dizzy) Gillespie 3/E, Tommy Rowe Master, Frank Clark 3/E, Hughie Armour 2/E, Jimmy LIndsay 2/E, Willie Stewart 2/E. If anyone knows of any of these guys please let me know.

Riptide
1st May 2008, 22:01
I remember Wacker very well. I "coasted" with him on a number of occasions and although it was a long time ago I think it was on the Glenmoor and perhaps the Eucadia. He was a really good guy and a real pleasure to work with. I have very happy memories of my time at Anchor Line and the following personel. Jim Olsen C/E, Sid Karim 2/E, Ian (Dizzy) Gillespie 3/E, Tommy Rowe Master, Frank Clark 3/E, Hughie Armour 2/E, Jimmy LIndsay 2/E, Willie Stewart 2/E. If anyone knows of any of these guys please let me know.

I sailed with Jim Olsen may have been the Caledonia 1976,Sid Karem Hazelmoor, Hughie Armour Cameronia & Caledonia.I also sailed with Jackie Briggs Sids Brother in law.Kenny.

joesoap
4th May 2008, 21:50
I can certainly testify to the whisky episodes but not on the Egidia as the three 'T' boats the Tarantia , Tasinia , I think and the Tyria were doing the states run then. Yorkhill quay pier 96 Manhatten . Discharged there the bulk of the whisky , prize cattle for stud and some general , which always included sewing machines from Singer Clydebank .. Sometimes shifted ship between the to do Brooklyn and varous berths as it was very busy in the fifties . We had a well organised whikky galore team and it's true that we never really ran drly until all the drink was dilscharged in NY. At about six beers for a dolllar though we didn't suffer. There was one occassion though when three of the boys returning back aboard spotted a stow of 'our ' cargo lying in the shed at our berth and as it was in the evenig they thuoght it was unattended . They thought let's get a case aboard and we'll have a partly down aft . I won't go in to detail at this point that's for another time . I will later though as it was some comedy. Turned out there was a cop behind a gum machine who had heard the plpt being hatched and as soon as Billy got the case under his arm a voice rang out and they did'nt halt and he did shoot . We all rushed up on deck wondering what the hell lwas going on , another two shots rang out but the three guys made it aboard but before the night was over two of them landed in the penitentiary and the old man Thomson had to go and bail them out next day and as it was a federal offence 'every bottle has a fed seal on the cork . To be continued ........If anyone wants a yarn that is.

5th May 2008, 08:34
I sailed with Jim Olsen may have been the Caledonia 1976,Sid Karem Hazelmoor, Hughie Armour Cameronia & Caledonia.I also sailed with Jackie Briggs Sids Brother in law.Kenny.

Thanks for the memory, I also worked with Jackie. I left the sea in 1973 having spent most of my time at Anchor Line in "Star Assyria" and "Star Acadia"

Riptide
7th May 2008, 17:06
Thanks for the memory, I also worked with Jackie. I left the sea in 1973 having spent most of my time at Anchor Line in "Star Assyria" and "Star Acadia"
I should have pointed out that Jackie Ended up marrying Sids wifes sister in about 76.She sailed with us on the Caledonia with Hughie Armour 2/e & Olsen the C/E.Kenny.

11th May 2008, 23:35
I should have pointed out that Jackie Ended up marrying Sids wifes sister in about 76.She sailed with us on the Caledonia with Hughie Armour 2/e & Olsen the C/E.Kenny.

My memory is that Anchor Line did not have a "Caledonia" at the time when I left but I have great memories of Hughie. I remember that he and I came from the same part of Glasgow (Pollokshaws). He was a first class watch-mate for the times that I coasted with him and I swear to this day that he could hear the sound of can cracking from 100 yards (Many other stories available about this guy).

Some long years ago I tried writing to Sid (certainly after 1976) in an attempt to renew our friendship but, unfortunately, I got no reply. This was a pity as my wife and I sailed with him and his wife Avril on "Star Assyria" together with their daughter Ailsa and we got on really well at the time.

Bobmac
19th May 2008, 00:24
Hello Peter Kiddel, Heard of this site from Allan Kindness who was cadet with me in the "Halladale" 1955 and just got round to signing up. Met Allan by chance in Perth a few years ago. We seem to be in the 'older' age bracket here but will get around to asking who might have sailed with me later. Think the last time we spoke was when you were in the Devonport ferries and I had had a very forgettable trip in the "P". After leaving NZL it was all a breeze for me. Over the past 9 years have become increasingly involved with breeding Highland cattle which requires high consumption of malt whisky. Cheers. Bob McMillan

Bobmac
19th May 2008, 06:32
Hello Peter Kiddell, Just registered today, sent an earlier reply but seems lost in cyberspace. Will be in touch, Bob McMillan

spongebob
19th May 2008, 09:14
Hello Bomac, just read your post calling up Peter Kiddell, Peter and I sailed together in the NZ Union Co.in 1959.
I note your comment about breeding Highland cattle, not belted Galloway's by any chance?
My younger brother in NZ is breeding these in his retirement, has a small herd of about 50 or more at the moment. Is it the breeder or the cattle that need the whisky? my brother is not up to this one!

Bobmac
23rd May 2008, 00:25
Hello Bob Jenkins, Plenty of "Belties" around us but we don't want to mix the colours! Paddy Agnew of USSCo used to say each trout he caught at Taupo cost him 2 bottles of whisky 1 before going out and 1 after, much the same when Higland breeders get together - some of us anyway.

Cheers, Bobmac

Riptide
23rd May 2008, 16:06
My memory is that Anchor Line did not have a "Caledonia" at the time when I left but I have great memories of Hughie. I remember that he and I came from the same part of Glasgow (Pollokshaws). He was a first class watch-mate for the times that I coasted with him and I swear to this day that he could hear the sound of can cracking from 100 yards (Many other stories available about this guy).

Some long years ago I tried writing to Sid (certainly after 1976) in an attempt to renew our friendship but, unfortunately, I got no reply. This was a pity as my wife and I sailed with him and his wife Avril on "Star Assyria" together with their daughter Ailsa and we got on really well at the time.

We used to mimmick the sound of a can opening & you could guarantee Hughie would be there in secounds.The Caledonia was built in 74-75 a later build was the Calabria in 76.Kenny.

John Campbell
23rd May 2008, 21:47

Hi Robin,
I am great friends with John Kennedy, he did come from Dunbeath , who is retired and living in Thurso Caithness. He unfortunately is not computerwise so I read all the posts to him and he was most excited to hear his name mentioned. He sends his best regards to you all. He left Anchor line and went to Clan Line then when they went redundant joined the St Ola the ferry from Scrabster to Orkney. He spent his whole live as a purser in the MN - a real nice fellow to know. He always wanted to know what became of Robin and had tried to trace him and failed
JC

Robinj
25th May 2008, 13:21
Hi John, Good to know John is still going strong. He and I used to do quite a bit of boozing when he did the relief purser on the Sidonia between London and Glasgow. Remember one trip to Edinburgh with him just for a party, nearly missed the ship next day. Send me a PM and I will see if we can get in touch. Robin

Bobmac
5th June 2008, 02:10
Hello John Stewart, I have a photo of Tarantia from 1954 If you'd like to email me an address I'll post a copy. Cheers R. Mcmillan randem@xtra.co.nz

JimC
5th June 2008, 19:31
Hello Peter Kiddel, Heard of this site from Allan Kindness who was cadet with me in the "Halladale" 1955 and just got round to signing up. Met Allan by chance in Perth a few years ago. We seem to be in the 'older' age bracket here but will get around to asking who might have sailed with me later. Think the last time we spoke was when you were in the Devonport ferries and I had had a very forgettable trip in the "P". After leaving NZL it was all a breeze for me. Over the past 9 years have become increasingly involved with breeding Highland cattle which requires high consumption of malt whisky. Cheers. Bob McMillan

Hello there Bob!

Are you by any chance from Rothsay and did you go to James Watt in 1953 or in 1958? If not; do you remember a cadet named Dougie Paterson from Paisley?

Jim.

albatross1923
6th July 2008, 12:40

i
OLD ANCHOR LINE ENGR JOINED EGIDIA 8TH JULY 1947 LOOKING AT REFERENCE FOR 2ND ENGRS CERTIFICATE I DID TWO TRIPS TO NEW YORK WITH CHF ENGR W DUNCAN ON THE ELYSIA AS JNR 2ND ENGR
8.6.53/2.9.53 16.10.53/7.3.54
YOURS ALBTROSS 1923

YvonneDoc
3rd August 2008, 01:58
Hello PK I made my first trip deep sea on the Egidea. That wass on the Suez crisis when she was comandeered by the government. I signed on for the following trip as she resumed the Bombay run. Don't remember the engineers but the e/r storekeeper was John Docherty , the old man was Wille Mc Vicar and the mate was a hard man by the name of Mclarty. I was a mere DHUand was the sailors peggy , were you there? Joesoap

My Grampa was John Docherty and served at the Yorkhill Quay Docks for James Spencer & Co.He passed away a few years ago now but had many a story to tell about his days as a docker.My dad still comes out with new stories which usually leave me in hysterics.I'm hoping this is the same John Docherty you're talking about as only tonight,my Dad and I were talking about him and I said i'd try to see if his name was mentioned anywhere.I'll bet everyone on here has many a story to tell.Seems like a great site! p.s my grampa's badge number was 3026 so if you have any ideas of any other sites I could check it'd be much appreciated.

YvonneDoc
4th August 2008, 01:51
My Grampa John Docherty (Doc) 'worked' at the docks at Yorkhill Quay up until the mid 70's.The stories he told me used to have me in hysterics..and now my Dad relays them to my children for me,they're timeless classics!..teapots full of whisky,handmade 'tools' for making discreet holes in barrels,duffle coats which hid a multitude of bottles!Fine silky tablecloths...which were in fact shrouds!!There must be thousands of grandchildren out there chuckling at such mischief! Many names have cropped up in the stories but can't remember them all at the moment,other than O'Neill whom i think was one of the head men,the Liddell twins,The Wee Painter (who apparently taught my dad how to drive!) and then there was Pat the storeman at the Granary.It's make my dad's day if anyone recognised any of these names...and it might earn me brownie points too hehe! Hope all's well with everyone.It's great to read so many stories and memories!

Brian Braithwaite
8th January 2009, 16:47
Hello George, the old man was Angus Colquhoun. I seem to remember you taking pity on me and taking me home to tea. Brian Braithwaite.

Brian Braithwaite
8th January 2009, 18:04
Hi Robin,

Yes, correct, he did like a wee dram or two. Must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven when that consignment of Whisky arrived! (Applause) Wait to hear from you. Helen. Hi Helen glad to be back in touch. I have changed my email since we last corresponded send me a PM to exchange email addresses. I look forward to hearing from you. I recognise the second sparks (then known as sparklet) who worked for your dad. George MJcConnachie, used to go to Beach Candy with him. Would you believe in those unenlightened days Beach Candy was " Europeans Only". We were often entertained by the resident Scottish vicar The Rev John Beck who took me for my first ever chinese meal in, would you believe it, Bombay. To hell with this Mumbai business.Incidentally did I ever tell you that PJ met with my parents on a number of occasions.They use to drive him to Lime St Station. He always bought my mum flowers. Happy New Year,I really do not know if this message is going to you or George McC.

K urgess
8th January 2009, 18:28
I've removed your email address, Brian.
You don't need to be a member to read these posts so your email address could be used to send you spam in great quantities by anyone searching the internet. (EEK)
Initial contact is best made using the private message (PM) system that is available to members only. (Thumb)
Regards
Kris

jjp
20th May 2009, 18:06
Egidia not my first ship,however sailed on the following with Anchor Line ,Exmoor x 2,Caledonia x2,Hazelmoor, Calabria x 2 and Eucadia. Left Anchor line 1980 when they stated selling off most of their ships.
Firey
I also sailed with Anchor Line/Runcimans on following Sicilia, Glenmoor, Elysia,
Hazelmoor, Finland, Eucadia, Star Aacadia & Assyria, Cameronia, Caledonia &
Exmoor on both Bandar Shahpour trips(3rd mate)

jim

john mc ginley
20th May 2009, 21:42
my dad done seven trips on the ,(TRANSYLVANIA.)
from glasgow to NEW YORK and THE WEST INDIES.
from 19th nov 1932 to 12th oct 1934.
he also done two trips on the( CAMERONIA),from 23rd dec
to 22nd july 1941.destination unknown ,as the discription of the voyage is (RA?).ABBREVIATIONS which i would like
to know,as after this, all his descriptions of voyage where
described as(FOREIGN)no country of destination???

jjp
21st May 2009, 22:54
my dad done seven trips on the ,(TRANSYLVANIA.)
from glasgow to NEW YORK and THE WEST INDIES.
from 19th nov 1932 to 12th oct 1934.
he also done two trips on the( CAMERONIA),from 23rd dec
to 22nd july 1941.destination unknown ,as the discription of the voyage is (RA?).ABBREVIATIONS which i would like
to know,as after this, all his descriptions of voyage where
described as(FOREIGN)no country of destination???

Abbreviation RA (RUNNING AGREEMENT) used on B.O.T. agreements on ships on short trips as on the ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW to NEW YORK trips, no need to sign on & off on each trip.The SICILIA sometimes had RAs the Glasgow, London, New York trips.

jjp

john mc ginley
21st May 2009, 23:36
thank you very much JJP, for your information regarding
abbreviation(RA).that has cleared another corner of my fathers discharge book.there are many more!,to dust down.will give you a call to clear,(if you dont mind) , to try and clear other problems.thank you again. john.

China hand
29th May 2009, 20:46
I was Mate in ANAT ex CICILIA.

When she was sold to ZIM, her last Mate went Master. William Barclay Sawyers. He later went Super with Zim.

Also her 2nd Engineer, the Mighty Quin, came with the ship.

I stayed in her for three happy years, then she became GOLD STAR of a sister company in the firm.

I met up with Capt Sawyers some years later in NoLa ( I was on a Bank boat). Anybody know where he is ( or if he has gone aloft, he would be a goodly age now)?

Andrew Rennie
17th January 2012, 20:06
(A)I sailed on the RMS Cilicia in 1956/57 as 2/2 Engineer. I had an enquiry from a lady trying to do some Family Heritage and and wants to know the name of the Captain on the RMS Cilicia in 1946 when she was a Troop Ship. As I am Eighty anyone around at that time will be ninety plus. Does anyone out there know the Captain's name

Barrie Youde
23rd January 2012, 12:43
Hi, Andrew!

Might the Master have been James McGill Brown?

My Dad became Anchor Line pilot at Liverpool in 1948 when Cilicia's sister-ship Caledonia was new. I recall vividly that Captain Brown was her first Master; and that he might well have (and probably had) sailed previously as Master of Cilicia. There was an article in Sea Breezes (circa Sept 1948) entitled "A Master and his ship" relating all about Brownie and the new Caledonia. I was aged 5 at the time!

On another point, it is suggested above that Captain Ramage survived a stabbing with an ice-pick by his tiger. My recollection is that it was not Ramage but Wally Thompson? The tiger might have been Roderick? Or Francis? I remember that they were all Goanese and gave excellent service.

v best,

Barrie Youde

Andrew Rennie
8th April 2012, 21:26
Barrie....Just got your message due to illness.Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will pass the information onto the lady. it will give me the opportunity to revive the E mail strand. Thanks once more. Andrew Rennie Toronto Canada.

Farmer
9th April 2012, 02:38
Firey

Bombay may now be Mumbai. The cages still the cages nothing changes... farmer.

mechimackie
29th December 2012, 06:47
JC

Most name escape me now but I can remember a notable indvidual "Wacker Duncan" who was a 3/e at the time and I can remember he lived in Gourock. He always referred to his wife as the bint. Sailed with him in 1977, I don't know if this was your era. The old man at the time was John Swan.
Regards
Firey

hi firey, i sailed with wacker duncan around 77 / 78, definately came from gourock and was a real character, john strain was 2nd engineer, also sailed with john swan who was kind enough to let my new wife on board to do a trip to bombay / karachi along with two other wifes and two children, i was 4/e.

mechimackie
29th December 2012, 06:58
hi, i sailed with anchor line from 77 /78 on the exmoor, egidia and eucadia, some names i recall are wacker duncan 3/e, john strain 2/e, keith greenlees 4/e, john swan master, two junior engineers called billy from glasgow and arthur from edinburgh cant recall there surnames, an indian cadette called julius.

A.D.FROST
29th December 2012, 10:13
Wrong ELYSIA appears in the book of ATHEL LINE.

nimz
7th February 2013, 17:28
hi, i sailed with anchor line from 77 /78 on the exmoor, egidia and eucadia, some names i recall are wacker duncan 3/e, john strain 2/e, keith greenlees 4/e, john swan master, two junior engineers called billy from glasgow and arthur from edinburgh cant recall there surnames, an indian cadette called julius.

I think the Billy was Billy Ross from Yoker, Julius was Julius Pavri

ARGK342
5th July 2013, 13:25

Keith was a fellow junior engineer on the trip to Bombay I was on. I believe he'd been with Ben Line prior to the Egidia.
We were at Meadowside, Glasgow over Christmas and New Year. The Chief Engineer agreed his men could go home for the festive period as long as there was one engineer left aboard. I did Christmas.
On going home [Glasgow] at Hogmanay I met my family who were all heading out to a party/dance elsewhere. (?HUH)
I poured a drink, sat by myself and cheered the New Year on my own. At 6am I got a taxi back to the ship and sent Keith back home to his family.