Legality of Posting Photo's

M29
1st April 2009, 12:05
Hi All
Like many members, I have photo's that contain crew members amd ship mates from days gone by.
My question is, can we post pictures that contain people, who have not given their permisssion for their image to appear? especially as some will have "crossed the bar"
I suppose most of us wouldn't mind our old "mug shots" appearing on the site but what is the legal position.

Best Wishes

Alan

Lancastrian
1st April 2009, 13:50
Its all a bit complicated. The copyright of photos and the right to reproduce them belongs to the creator (or his employer) for a specified length of time.
Individuals shown in photos may have rights of privacy which vary from country to country but if they have consented to being photographed in the first place and you are not causing them any embarrassment or revealing any private information, there should be no problem whether or not they are no longer with us.
Obviously, if anyone complains, you should remove them.

K urgess
1st April 2009, 14:10
We've had no complaints that I know of about people posting pictures of them they didn't want seen.
You can post anything you like as long as it's relevent and as long as there is no serious problem with copyright.
You can't remove them if someone asks you must ask one of us moderators to do that.
Personally I'm disappointed that I'm the only one who seems to have carried a camera or the only one whose pictures have survived. I would love to see other people's pictures of me.
I do have some pictures I haven't posted yet of shipmates because they may be embarrassing but as you can see if you look through the gallery there are all sorts of pictures that could be considered embarrassing to the subject and not necessarily posted by the subject.
Cheers
Kris

M29
1st April 2009, 14:32
Kris, Lancastrian
Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of converting old slides to digital and hope to post some on SN.

Kris, like you, I was always behind a camera, so not many pictures of me, same at weddings, birthdays, etc. Still, good job really, might have broken the lense(Jester)

Best Wishes

Alan