Old Ship mates of Ian Shields 1967 to 1974

ianian
3rd April 2009, 16:18
Hi every one who I might have sailed with as 3rd eng and 2Eng on the following ships 1966 to 1967 Nairnbank, Laganbank 1970, (Taybank 1970,Crestbank 1971, Sprucebank 1971, rock dodging untill I got married)Oakbank 1971, Carronbank, Rowanbank Testbank 1972 all coasting)Dartbank 1972/1973,Rowanbank 1973, Olivebank 1974, sailed as 3rd on Nairnbank and Laganbank the rest of the time I was 2nd eng.

Happy memories sometimes, like to hear from any one out there who knows me( Especially that old reprobate Alan Smaldon)
Kind regards to everyone I knew(Thumb)
Anybody out there who new Colin Medlicott was C/O in 1973/1974

K urgess
3rd April 2009, 17:12
Welcome to the crew, Ian.
Plenty of us Bankliners aboard and a lot with ships in common. Unfortunately as with you and me and the Sprucebank, at different times.
You might recognise some of these who were on there with me in October 1971
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=48200
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.

Sebe
3rd April 2009, 22:35
Could this be the same Ian Shields of Rowbothams?

Sebe

PJW
12th April 2009, 22:40
I sailed with Colin Medlicott on Fleetbank in 77/78. He was C/O when I was senior cadet. I later joined Rowbothams and sailed with an Ian Sheilds a couple of times on the Polarisman/Astraman. I this the one and the same Ian Shields?

ianian
5th June 2009, 01:38
Yep! thats me I have been away on holiday sorry I have not answered sooner Kind regards

Ian (your name please only I do not recognise initials)

Johnnietwocoats
10th June 2009, 07:22
Welcome to the crew, Ian.
Plenty of us Bankliners aboard and a lot with ships in common. Unfortunately as with you and me and the Sprucebank, at different times.
You might recognise some of these who were on there with me in October 1971
Find your way around the ship and have a good trip.

Hi Marconi Sahib......Would the Mike Stevens, Second Mate, in the back of your photo be a cockney chap from london who had served his Deck Apprenticeship with bank Line.....Twocoats

See Photo
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/181362

johnb42
10th June 2009, 13:10
Hi Marconi Sahib......Would the Mike Stevens, Second Mate, in the back of your photo be a cockney chap from london who had served his Deck Apprenticeship with bank Line.....Twocoats

See Photo
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/181362

Twocoats,
Can't be 100% sure but I think you have the right Mike Stevens. If it's the same one I knew, he definitely served his time with Bank Line, including a voyage on the Beaverbank with me. I saw him again in '73 when he joined the Elm as 2nd or 3rd Mate as I was leaving. He came from Godalming in Surrey, which makes him technically 'not a cockney', but I know what you mean.

Johnnietwocoats
11th June 2009, 05:30
Twocoats,
Can't be 100% sure but I think you have the right Mike Stevens. If it's the same one I knew, he definitely served his time with Bank Line, including a voyage on the Beaverbank with me. I saw him again in '73 when he joined the Elm as 2nd or 3rd Mate as I was leaving. He came from Godalming in Surrey, which makes him technically 'not a cockney', but I know what you mean.

I have a couple more photos of him. I was his senior Apprentice on the Fleetbank. Charlie Howe was the Master and Albert Scales was the Third Mate. I was transferred from the Foylebank in Australia. I think the Mates name was Ray.....
Have to say that my time on the Fleetbank was not the best due to the Master.
Mike was on his first trip and was a tad nervous. I am glad to see that he made it through the ranks. As I recall his Mum was a widow. I often wondered how he ended up.
I had previously done my first year on the Eastbank with Syd Mallory as the Mate and Willy McLennan from Larne as the third mate. Dave Ramsey was my senior apprentice and lefty Wright was the second apprentice. The Master was later to become the super in Calcutta at an early age......

iain48
11th June 2009, 23:26
Twocoats,

Johnb42 did you pay off in Philadelphia 1973? I joined Elmbank as 1st Lecky with M. Stevens as 2nd Mate. Of the paying off crowd 3rd mate Linley? and 2nd Eng Graeme Murray stayed for a double header. Joining with us was Dave Matthews 3rd Eng who had left earlier on your trip, sick I think?

K urgess
12th June 2009, 00:11
So is this the Mike Stevens we all knew?
As far as I know this one I sailed with (Sprucebank 1971/72) came from Godalming.

Cheers
Kris

johnb42
12th June 2009, 00:25
So is this the Mike Stevens we all knew?
As far as I know this one I sailed with (Sprucebank 1971/72) came from Godalming.

Cheers
Kris

Definitely the same one that I sailed with.

K urgess
12th June 2009, 00:30
He also features in the middle of the picture I linked to in my previous post.
Glass raised as normal.
I should remember him. I was wearing his fringed buckskin jacket on the night I met my future and still current, wife.

johnb42
12th June 2009, 00:34
Johnb42 did you pay off in Philadelphia 1973? I joined Elmbank as 1st Lecky with M. Stevens as 2nd Mate. Of the paying off crowd 3rd mate Linley? and 2nd Eng Graeme Murray stayed for a double header. Joining with us was Dave Matthews 3rd Eng who had left earlier on your trip, sick I think?

Yes, I paid off in Philadelphia in Oct '73. I remember Mike joining but could'nt remember if he was 2nd or 3rd Mate. And yes 3rd Mate leaving was Lindley (can't remember his Christian name now), came from the north somewhere, maybe Doncaster or Leeds. Trying to think who relieved me and who came as Master. Don McCaffery was the Master who paid off with us. I think we had done about 15 months.

Johnnietwocoats
12th June 2009, 04:03
Thanks guys. I posted a photo of him as a first trip Apprentice and I wonder can anyone confirm that it is the same person...Thanks.....Coats

iain48
12th June 2009, 12:17
Yes, I paid off in Philadelphia in Oct '73. I remember Mike joining but could'nt remember if he was 2nd or 3rd Mate. And yes 3rd Mate leaving was Lindley (can't remember his Christian name now), came from the north somewhere, maybe Doncaster or Leeds. Trying to think who relieved me and who came as Master. Don McCaffery was the Master who paid off with us. I think we had done about 15 months.

3rd mate who stayed on was Mike Lindley, The mate who relieved you was Ian Booker and master was Frank Abell, we done about 9 to 10 months a long time ago. Still in touch with a couple of eng's and an apprentice from that trip. Not sure about pic of M Stevens as apprentice, but definitely recognise him from Sprucebank pics.

Johnnietwocoats
13th June 2009, 04:29
Gentlemen. Thank you for your time. I can now confirm that the Stevens I was referring to was Ronald Patrick Stevens of London Road Twickenham.

I have the ships logs and Crew Lists of all the ships I sailed on and I should have checked first. Thanks for your time.

If anyone knows my Stevens I would appreciate a posting. Take care...Johnnietwocoats

Alan Rawlinson
13th June 2009, 08:43
Would like to pay a tribute here to Don McCaffery who has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread... I was 2/0 with him when he had his first command on the old CRESTBANK circa 1959. He was a gentleman, and very affable as a Master. Just one anecdote - In Lyttleton some of us enjoyed the company of young ladies aboard, and apart from complaints from the chief Engineers wife that there were ' smalls ' hanging up in the drying room, it was a fun time. When Don McCaffery sent for me, it was to ask if I could find one for him!

Cheers/AL

K urgess
13th June 2009, 12:27
I'll echo that, Al.
Don McCaffery was Master on the Sprucebank at the same time I sailed with Mike Stevens and was one of the best I sailed with. Another one who treated us as an extended family and guided us with a gentle but firm hand. (Thumb)
Cheers
Kris

Alistair Macnab
13th June 2009, 20:08
Don McCaffery as Master and Doug Buck as Chief Engineer....that was a winning team! Miss them both!

ianian
18th June 2009, 01:07
Dougie Buck, hated the so and so, sailed with him as 2/E, tried to make my life a misery on board on the Olivebank in 72/73, him and the mate Gerstal used to fiddle the limitation of hours all the time but every one else had to work hard for it, also a lousy engineer.

simomatra
30th July 2009, 07:35
Thanks to this forum Ian and I have caught up once again we sailed on the Nairnbank together
Sam