Alexander Shields (Sandy)

ianian
5th April 2009, 11:54
Any body out there know my Dad who was Mechanic on Port Caroline ,Port Nicholson etc.etc.

Ian Shields(retired Chief Engineer)

Erbbie
31st July 2015, 14:48
I sailed with your dad on the port Nicholson in the early 70,s I was a j.o.e.r. We did 3trips together I also did some rock dodging with sandy the last time I saw sandy was when he took over round for on the act 2 he still owes me for a carton of ciggies

Owen Collier
27th November 2015, 20:17
Ian - I sailed with your father my first trip to sea, I joined the Port Caroline in Lyttleton, September 1970. On that occasion, there was a crew change in New York, that was the last I heard of Sandy.

ianian
27th November 2015, 22:42
I sailed with your dad on the port Nicholson in the early 70,s I was a j.o.e.r. We did 3trips together I also did some rock dodging with sandy the last time I saw sandy was when he took over round for on the act 2 he still owes me for a carton of ciggies

Sorry about the fags, he used to take mine too, he's been gone now for 15 years but still miss him, thanks for the reply.
Kind Regards Ian

ianian
27th November 2015, 22:47
Ian - I sailed with your father my first trip to sea, I joined the Port Caroline in Lyttleton, September 1970. On that occasion, there was a crew change in New York, that was the last I heard of Sandy.

Hope he behaved himself, hope he managed to impart some good engineering thoughts to you, as I said ,still miss him, all the best to you, I see you are now retired, like you , I was at sea for over 40 odd years , do I miss it , no , only my mates and the good times we all had, no fun now I am sure.

Kind Regards Ian

Erbbie
29th November 2015, 13:21
Ian, thanks for the reply about your dad, he was some cookie, he could smell a can of beer out at a hundred yards with a gas mask on. he often talked about both of his sons with affection.are you the one that went to China navigation.