HullGate Shipping Company

youngcornwall
6th April 2009, 08:29
Any information please, is this company still around, I was on the HeatherGate 1962.

ianian
6th April 2009, 09:11
No! the company was taken over by Rowbthams and the name was done away with, this in the late seventies

youngcornwall
6th April 2009, 09:43
Thanks for that, keep up the good work.

All the best YC

Roger Jordan
6th April 2009, 13:13
Hello youngcornwall

Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd was taken over by Turnbull, Scott & Co in 1981 and soldiered on for a few years. However, the slow run-down of its new parent company (Turnbull, Scott) also saw its fleet gradually disappear, with some of its vessels being managed latterly by Rowbotham Tankships. The last year in which the company appeared in shipping directories as a separate concern was 1988.

Regards
Roger

gil mayes
6th April 2009, 16:38
Roger,
Turnbull, Scott sold Hull Gates to Rowbotham in 1982 along with Hull Gates Management and S. F. Craggs. As Andrew Huckett states in his book, "Rowbotham", three fully owned, two bareboat and four managed were transferred.
Gil.

PETER NIESCHMIDT
2nd July 2015, 20:45
Roger,
Turnbull, Scott sold Hull Gates to Rowbotham in 1982 along with Hull Gates Management and S. F. Craggs. As Andrew Huckett states in his book, "Rowbotham", three fully owned, two bareboat and four managed were transferred.
Gil.

Whilst at the Nautical college on the Boulevard, three of us decided to look for a summer job and finishedup down the Land of Green ginger.All three of us were offered work with Hull Gates. The other two struck it lucky with a month around Sweden and holland on the 'Queensgate'. I finished up with the 'Royalgate' sailing from Glasson Dock near Preston to Portaferry in Ireland, back and forth for a month but none the less great fun.

bbyrne98
2nd July 2015, 21:56
Hello youngcornwall

Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd was taken over by Turnbull, Scott & Co in 1981 and soldiered on for a few years. However, the slow run-down of its new parent company (Turnbull, Scott) also saw its fleet gradually disappear, with some of its vessels being managed latterly by Rowbotham Tankships. The last year in which the company appeared in shipping directories as a separate concern was 1988.

Regards
Roger

Interesting. I recall joining the almost brand new Jasmine B in (I think) January 1984 but believed that it was managed wholly by Hull Gates shipping along with Gardenia B and Orchid B. Indeed, Jasmine B was registered in Grimsby so, at 38000-odd DWT, she must have been the biggest ship registered in that port (ever?). I do recall having some rather interesting orders ...

Alan Dunk
5th July 2015, 16:00
I believe the ships mentioned were managed by Ajax Marine of Grimsby the directors being Jack Bayram and Alex Fairclough (ex Directors of Hullgates and Fred Parkes Shipping). Fred Parkes Shipping also had two vessels called the Bengate and Simonsgate both registered in Grimsby in the mid seventies. Both these vessels had Monk Cranes fitted for trading in Africa.

I was employed ashore with a subsidiary company of Hullgates/Fred Parkes for a number of years and eventually joined the sea going staff as Chief Engineer in 1975 finishing through I'll health in 1984. It was a great company to work for.

Regards
Alan R737833

pilot
5th July 2015, 17:17
HQ was a portacabin in GY docks. Or so it was rumoured.

Sebe
5th July 2015, 17:38
HQ was a portacabin in GY docks. Or so it was rumoured.

They had a brick office close to the old Doigs yard. Took my son there for interview when he joined them

timo
5th July 2015, 17:42
I seem to remember HQ was an upstairs room in a now disappeared building on Grimsby's west side Royal Dock, Roger Clarke who used to work in the pool at Grimsby was in charge of the crewing. Pat Bennett who also worked in the pool office was there in as Rowbothams took over .

Alan Dunk
5th July 2015, 17:46
Pilot

Hullgates office was 2 storey building on the west side of the Royal Dock and Ajax Marine are still based in Bethleham Street Grimsby.

Alan
R737833

derekhore
8th July 2015, 20:35
I seem to remember HQ was an upstairs room in a now disappeared building on Grimsby's west side Royal Dock, Roger Clarke who used to work in the pool at Grimsby was in charge of the crewing. Pat Bennett who also worked in the pool office was there in as Rowbothams took over .

Pat Bennet often used to come down and visit Rowbotham ships when we were loading at the Immingham Oil Terminal.
I was mate on the Tillerman and she often paid us a visit, I think they were the main shipping agents for us on the Humber.

I was also mate on the Eastgate for 5 weeks running out of Milford to the west coast of Ireland.
The late Andy Shenton was Skipper.

bbyrne98
9th July 2015, 19:29
I believe the ships mentioned were managed by Ajax Marine of Grimsby the directors being Jack Bayram and Alex Fairclough (ex Directors of Hullgates and Fred Parkes Shipping). Fred Parkes Shipping also had two vessels called the Bengate and Simonsgate both registered in Grimsby in the mid seventies. Both these vessels had Monk Cranes fitted for trading in Africa.

I was employed ashore with a subsidiary company of Hullgates/Fred Parkes for a number of years and eventually joined the sea going staff as Chief Engineer in 1975 finishing through I'll health in 1984. It was a great company to work for.

Regards
Alan R737833

If it was the ships I mentioned, then I recall 'Ajax Marine' ... we used have a daily (Monday - Friday) telex schedule from the ship to the office in Grimsby .. seemed very sophisticated then. Jasmine B had superb radio equipment, best I ever had by some way). Difficult to imagine what the office setup was from Hobart, Tasmania. I say that because Marconi said that the Jasmine B 'trades Home waters' .. next thing I know I'm in Adelaide, Hobart and then Singapore. I revised my date of service to 1982 as she was 'allegedly' considered for Falklands service, carrying water. Good trip though, in fairness, great crew.

Alan Dunk
20th July 2015, 20:22
Hi

Did you sail with John Pocklington (Master) and Alan Barret (Chief Engineer ).

I sailed with John on delivering two small tankers from Fukuoka Japan to the UK and the Continent, coastal voyages and was relieved by Alan.

Two great shipmates.

Alan R737833

willincity
20th July 2015, 21:44
Hi

Did you sail with John Pocklington (Master) and Alan Barret (Chief Engineer ).

I sailed with John on delivering two small tankers from Fukuoka Japan to the UK and the Continent, coastal voyages and was relieved by Alan.

Two great shipmates.

Alan R737833
John has just retired about a year ago, I meet up with him 2 or 3 times a year, a terrific guy.

Alan Dunk
21st July 2015, 09:56
John has just retired about a year ago, I meet up with him 2 or 3 times a year, a terrific guy.

Hi

Next time you see John please give him my regards.

Regards

Alan
R737833