Free photo software packages

bobharrison2002
10th April 2009, 13:53
I have just come across a couple of very useful and FREE programs, the first is photoscape which seems to cover all bases in a simple easy to use package:

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

and the other is NDNoise noise reduction package at:

http://ndnoise.free.fr/

thankfully both these software packages handle png's - wonder when ships nostalgia will do the same? - hint hint! [=P]

Bob

K urgess
10th April 2009, 14:36
Don't see any advantage to PNGs.
I've just converted one of my full size scans from jpg to png and the file size has shot up 6 fold.

ROBERT HENDERSON
10th April 2009, 15:06
I have always been baffled regarding the abbreviations us in photo sizes such as jpg and png. Please explain to this old duffer.

Regards Robert

Chris Isaac
10th April 2009, 15:22
Another excellent free bit of software is GIMP

K urgess
10th April 2009, 17:41
I have always been baffled regarding the abbreviations us in photo sizes such as jpg and png. Please explain to this old duffer.

Regards Robert

Robert
This link may help - http://www.cywarp.com/faq_digital_photo_formats.htm
The only advantage of PNG and TIF is that they don't lose detail when compressed but tend to be larger files than JPG. GIF doesn't have more than 256 colours and RAW is just the way a digital camera saves a picture before it's converted to something else. RAW can be different for each camera manufacturer.
JPG seems to be the standard for most uses associated with the internet and computer display. The others (RAW, TIF, PNG) are better for printing or archiving your pictures with maximum detail.
Cheers
Kris

bobharrison2002
11th April 2009, 06:11
Don't see any advantage to PNGs.
I've just converted one of my full size scans from jpg to png and the file size has shot up 6 fold.

Hi M.S. - I agree the file size does increase but the big advantage is that png files do not suffer from the same degree of compression artifacts which are created using jpg's - particularly if they have been "saved" a few times. The jpeg artifacts can acummulate quite rapidly and what started out as a clean line will end up as a very smudged fuzzy line in no time at all. That is why Photoshop etc save the files being edited as a proprietry file format which does not involve lossy compression. If you look at a nice clean photo on the web site such as the "Port Albert" that Torrens has just put up and zoom in the main mast you can see the fuzzies starting to creep in. If you now save that picture and open it using Picasa for example and add a caption on the photo iteself the characters look nice and crisp and clean when zoomed in - but see what happens as soon as you hit save - that's why I am moving away from the jpg format wherever possible.

Bob (POP)

billyboy
11th April 2009, 08:25
I am very happy with the free package i downloaded called XNview it does all i want to do. and being a computer duffer i find it very simple to use. save pictures to file, then open in XNview and adjust them how i like them. very quick too!

K urgess
11th April 2009, 12:54
Since all pictures that appear in the gallery are converted from whatever they are to jpg for display it's bettrer to upload jpgs. This is mainly because conversion to jpg from say bmp or png can have strange effects on the pictures size and on thumbnails. The best solution has always been to have the right format and size for the application.
The article I linked to above has very good explanations about the advantages and disadvantages of all the picture formats.

quintero
11th April 2009, 13:32
I have found Gimp 2 very usefull, compressing my JPGs.

ROBERT HENDERSON
11th April 2009, 13:48
Since all pictures that appear in the gallery are converted from whatever they are to jpg for display it's bettrer to upload jpgs. This is mainly because conversion to jpg from say bmp or png can have strange effects on the pictures size and on thumbnails. The best solution has always been to have the right format and size for the application.
The article I linked to above has very good explanations about the advantages and disadvantages of all the picture formats.

Thank you very much Kris for the link, I have found it very explanatory and have put it into my bookmarks for continual reference.

Regards Robert

bobharrison2002
11th April 2009, 15:10

You're right it is a very good explanation - thanks!

Bob