Benline coast relief crews.

ian keyl
11th April 2009, 21:54
Does any one remember the second steward called Stanley he was a wee bloke and not sure if he was from Edinburgh He was always on the coast and joined ships for the taking on of stores he was usually with Willie Henderson they both also did the storing and setting up of new builds.

Rgds Ian.

john fraser
12th April 2009, 11:06
Hi Ian.
There was Stanley,from Edinburgh,can,t remember his end name.Then Alex Emslie from Aberdeen along with Sam Cummings from Aberdeen and the Major,can,t remember his name,They comprised of the catering depts Dads Army on the coast.If there was no Catering Boy they took turns of doing the boys job.

john fraser
12th April 2009, 18:28
Just remembered Ian. Stanley Spencer was his name.Lived with his sister in Edinburgh

forthbridge
12th April 2009, 20:47
I remember sailing with Alex Emslie and Sam Cummings on Benvorlich in the early 1960s and I think Stanley was second steward at that time and later Willie Low.Laurie White was Chief Steward. The other one I remember from that time was Dagwood, I don't remember his real name and I think I saw him on one of the containerships just after they changed from Chinese stewards just before I left the company in the late seventies. I seem to remember Alex Emslie working in a restaurant car with British rail at one time also in the sixties.

ian keyl
14th April 2009, 00:42
Well done John,
yes it was Stanley Spencer here is another one for the pot, Joe Adams from aberdeen, if I remember he had abad foot and used to were built up boot and walked with a limp, his favourite on the menu was stovies and rowies ,thats when we had second cook/bakers from Aberdeen.
I first met Joe when my uncle who was chief of HMC in Middlesbrough took me on board the Benloyal 61/2 and we had lunch and Joe was there as an extra pair of hands ,because there was going to be a shippers party that night .

My uncle new many of the lads fromthe Aberdeen pool because he used to be CPO in the HMC in Aberdeen before he was moved down to Teesside, I think the old HMC office was at the foot of Market street looking over the old fish market .That was in the days when you could walk on the quay and get a fry.
I was at a Ben Line office reunion last month and Archie Watters was there he has not been too well but is on the recovery. This month is a masters ch/ofs and ch/engr and Suptd's luncheon with William Thomson.

Rgds Ian.

Oz.
14th April 2009, 01:51
CPO, HMC ? Many initials appear here in the forum and many of these are a mystery to those of us who haven't actually sailed out UK. Can someone enlghten me please.

john fraser
14th April 2009, 07:49
Hi Ian.
Did your uncle go by the name of Hudson,I remember a Mr.Hudson coming on board.We always managed to get extra ciggies then.If you see Archie Watters again give him my regards.I have just retired myself after 49 years.27 with Ben line.I suppose if they had a party for retired Chief Stewards in Edinburgh I,d be the only one there.Could hold it in a phone box.
Joe Adams died quite a few years ago. I often wonder if he is buried side by side with Willie Jameson another Ben Line old time Chief Steward.

ian keyl
14th April 2009, 15:31
Yes John, my uncle was Les Hudson and he was the Chief Preventative officer of Her majesty Customs and Excise, he was later promoted to surveyor for Teesside.
Yes put a knot in the Red duster and they will come on board and see if you can have anymore rations .

He was a great bloke.

Rgds Ian.

gordier51
15th April 2009, 19:06
[QUOTE=john fraser;311886]Hi Ian.
Did your uncle go by the name of Hudson,I remember a Mr.Hudson coming on board.We always managed to get extra ciggies then.If you see Archie Watters again give him my regards.I have just retired myself after 49 years.27 with Ben line.I suppose if they had a party for retired Chief Stewards in Edinburgh I,d be the only one there.Could hold it in a phone box.
Joe Adams died quite a few years ago. I often wonder if he is buried side by side with Willie Jameson another Ben Line old time Chief Steward.[I

I REMEMBER STANLEY AND ALEC WELL,STANLEY WAS A RIGHT SOFT SPOKEN LAD I THINK ALEC KEPT HIM RIGHT,JUST THOUGHT OF ANOTHER TWO CH.STDS JOHN FOR YOUR REUNION BOB CROMBIE AND WILLIE MORRISON

Roger Goudie
8th May 2009, 18:59
Hi Ian.
Joe Adams died quite a few years ago. I often wonder if he is buried side by side with Willie Jameson another Ben Line old time Chief Steward.

You made it then John, hope you enjoy a long and happy one.

George Simpson
6th June 2009, 00:50
I did my first coast then deep sea Stanley was second steward and John Digby was the Ch. Stwd Ben Cluech 1970, excuse any spelling mistakes old age and I dont have spell check on here[=P]

Paul Barford
6th June 2009, 12:03
I did my first coast then deep sea Stanley was second steward and John Digby was the Ch. Stwd Ben Cluech 1970, excuse any spelling mistakes old age and I dont have spell check on here[=P]

My first Ben-boat was a coast on the Benreoch, Stanley was there also first time I met up with Charlie Farmer(or was it Palmer?)a legendary character to say the least! Still remember a few other names from that coast which is now 37 years ago, Archie Muir C/E, John Banks 2/E,Jimmy Young 3/E, Dave ? Welshman,4/E, Ian Mackintosh 1/Elec, I can picture some others but the memory is slipping now!(Pint)

George Simpson
6th June 2009, 15:03
I know John O Banks is still alive and kicking he is tthe operations manager for Stena Drilling in Aberdeen.

Paul Barford
6th June 2009, 17:31
I know John O Banks is still alive and kicking he is tthe operations manager for Stena Drilling in Aberdeen.

(Thumb) Thanks George, please give him my regards if you see him-tell him I did marry the girl I met in Hull at the ships party-still together!

George Simpson
6th June 2009, 17:40
No probs Paul if you google stena drilling and go into management team you will see him as he is now...not a pretty sight for the faint hearted lol but next time i see him I will mention this place and your goodself.

Clif Bell
2nd October 2009, 13:16
(Thumb) Thanks George, please give him my regards if you see him-tell him I did marry the girl I met in Hull at the ships party-still together!

Hi Paul
I also met my wife at one of our parties on the coast at Hull.I was on the 'Attow' and I think we met as you were due to do the voyage from London 1976. I now live in Beverley after we married in Hull. Can you remember 'Yam Sing' the 2nd Eng. who always coasted. Think his name was Eddie Grey!!