Ellerman Stricks TANGISTAN

R396040
12th April 2009, 20:26
Saw a letter & picture of ship mentioned above in Family History magazine Aprils issue. The writer thought the featured ship was sunk in WW1 in 1915. When I looked thought the photograph was of much later date than 1915 more like my seagoing era 1947/1977. Tried searching SN gallery but no luck. I realise of course than companies reuse ships names but wonder if anyone could help,purely for interest on my behalf....
Stuart H
France

Hugh MacLean
12th April 2009, 21:52
Hello Stuart,
The photo you have seen is most probably the 1950 built cargo ship TANGISTAN official number 183273 which was in service until 1972.

There was another ship TANGISTAN official number 124358 built 1906 and torpedoed and sunk on 9th March 1915 by U-12.

Regards

Orbitaman
13th April 2009, 06:52
Just a small point, but where does Ellerman's come into all of this?

Stricks were not part of the Ellerman empire, although they did share the same address in Camomile Street in London for many years.

HALLLINE
13th April 2009, 09:28
orbitman, Ellerman/Stricks was the joint Persian gulf run.
Dave

Orbitaman
13th April 2009, 10:01
I know that the companies ran a joint service to the Gulf, my father being a Superintendent with Stricks.

Referring to the vessel as Ellerman Stricks is not correct as each company ran their vessels separately. There was no joint operation of the vessels beyond marketing the 'joint' service. It would be as equally incorrect to refer to Ellermans Stricks 'City of Auckland'.

R396040
13th April 2009, 22:38
I know that the companies ran a joint service to the Gulf, my father being a Superintendent with Stricks.

Referring to the vessel as Ellerman Stricks is not correct as each company ran their vessels separately. There was no joint operation of the vessels beyond marketing the 'joint' service. It would be as equally incorrect to refer to Ellermans Stricks 'City of Auckland'.

Sorry its how I remembered it from the 50s/60s.
Thanks for the other entry re the Tangistan,its rather what I expected the use of the same name. I know Cunard did that an awful lot, Thanks Hugh for your input.
Cheers
Stuart H
France

R396040
13th April 2009, 22:43
Hello Stuart,
The photo you have seen is most probably the 1950 built cargo ship TANGISTAN official number 183273 which was in service until 1972.

There was another ship TANGISTAN official number 124358 built 1906 and torpedoed and sunk on 9th March 1915 by U-12.

Regards

Thanks Hugh,rather as I thought when I looked at photo
Stuart H
France

Richard Maskiell
10th May 2009, 06:12
I believe that the Ellerman and Strick joint service started way back in 1903 between Strick and Bucknalls, Ellerman becoming involved through their takeover of Bucknall. This arrangement lasted some 70 years, so it must have been productive for both parties and suggests an excellent working relationship by several generations of employees.
Re repeated use of names: Strick was one of the leaders in this practice. Shahristan was a particular favourite of thirs being used 10 times, although some of those were sold while fitting out. Armanistan and Bardistan were used 6 times, Registan and Turkistan 7. There were only the 2 Tangistans.

Bernard Toft
7th April 2011, 14:49
Saw a letter & picture of ship mentioned above in Family History magazine Aprils issue. The writer thought the featured ship was sunk in WW1 in 1915. When I looked thought the photograph was of much later date than 1915 more like my seagoing era 1947/1977. Tried searching SN gallery but no luck. I realise of course than companies reuse ships names but wonder if anyone could help,purely for interest on my behalf....
Stuart H
France

I sailes on board the Tangistan as 2nd officer from 1968 to 1970 and again as chied offer 1971/72. That particular voyage was her last in that we took her to Taiwan to be scrapped. She was built in 1947. She was the second Tangistan.

Hope this helps

Bernard Toft

ken1355
7th March 2013, 14:20
I Also sailed on the Tangistan as Junior Engineer and 4th Engineer during that time 2nd Engineer was Alan Stoker and the Captain was called Gibbs I remember Bernard Toft

ken1355
7th March 2013, 14:20
Ken Buzzard

Tony Shaw
7th March 2013, 16:54
Hello Ken
Served a lot of my time on the "Baluchistan" with Clive Gibbs. What a cracking fellow. He was chief officer at the time. Sailed with Bernard on the "Gorjistan"
We went to 10 berths in Durban just to load grain for the UK.
Cheers.

ken1355
9th March 2013, 10:43
Hi Tony
Gibbs was a cracking bloke I think it was his first trip as Captain when I was on the Tangistan. I think the Chief Officer was a lad called Terry Chantler I believe he came from Fleetwood. The 3rd mate was a Scot called Peter Strachen another great lad. They were good time with Stricks.

Tony Shaw
9th March 2013, 11:55
Hello Ken/
Yes, Terry was also with me on the "Baluch" when he was 3rd mate. A good ship and I served almost all of my 4 year cadet ship on that vessel apart from one voyage on the "Farsistan". Yes, Stricks was a good company to work for, as we're many others in those days.

ken1355
9th March 2013, 14:55
Tony
Yes great company good set of lads. I served my time at Readheads in South Shields so had a thing about Strick Line Ships, as they built most of them. A cousin of mine Dave Austin was also an engineer on the Shaharistan. He had left Union Castle to join Stricks. I also remember Captain Belt who was co author of the book the last I heard he was living in Scarborough.