danube4

danube4
26th August 2005, 19:42
Greetings all. Can anyone help.In the sixty's i was a deckhand on
"F T Everards" coastal tanker "Argocity" or "Augocity" i forget the spelling. I have checked a list of Everards ships but can't find this one. I would like to know what happend to her. I would like to find a photo if possible.I had one i took in Rotterdam, but i have lost it. Hope someone can help.Thank you. Barney

david smith
26th August 2005, 19:50
Found Argosity built 1941 877gt ex Esso Juanita -56, Empire Lass -46

Santos
26th August 2005, 20:13
Hi Barney,

I cant find any photos of Argosity, but I do know that she was scrapped in 1969 in Bruges, Belgium, sorry.

Chris.

R58484956
26th August 2005, 20:22
Esso Juniata, 813 tons built 1941 by Grangemouth Dockyard Co. 3 cyl up & downer.
193.0 x 30.7 x 13.9. Ex Empire Lass 1946

lamptrimmer
26th August 2005, 23:43
Hi Barney
ARGOSITY. Everards 1956/1969Good pic by A.Duncan in Everard of Greenhithe byK.S.Garrett.
lamptrimmer

danube4
26th August 2005, 23:46
danube4.
Thank you all for the information. I remember taking whale oil to Jurgaens factory at purfleet, i think they made margarine. Steam cleaning and mopping up tanks after discharging was a nightmare.There where four of us cleaning, we could only stay in the tanks for about three minutes with rags tied around mouth and nose, spraying the steam hose about, taking it in turns. The heat was unbearable. After tanks cooled mopping up around the tanks pumps we could hardly open our eye's, tears where running down our cheeks. we could not see.We where taken to hospital by taxi. The doctor washed our eye's out and gave us drops, he said the fumes had affected tear ducts.It was three days before i could read a paper.That was my experience of whale oil. Good old days.
barney

danube4
31st August 2005, 18:10
Hi Barney
ARGOSITY. Everards 1956/1969Good pic by A.Duncan in Everard of Greenhithe byK.S.Garrett.
lamptrimmer

Hi Lamptrimmer,Thanks for this info. I tried the library. No luck. Any ideas where i can get a copy. Danube4(barney) I hope i titled this correctly.

FOUFOU
31st August 2005, 22:43
Hi Barney. If you go to www.ship-photos.dynamic-site.net they have a photo of the Argosity it is a New Zealand site and they charge for a photo. I have used them and the photos are good
regards foufou

michael james
1st September 2005, 00:01
Welcome to SN FOUFOU,

Hope you are enjoying the site and all its aspects.

lamptrimmer
1st September 2005, 00:55
Hi Barney
Cant equal the N.Z.site Any probs. mail me.Regards.

danube4
1st September 2005, 01:11
Danube4.Thanks Lamptrimmer.barney.

danube4
1st September 2005, 01:21
Danube4.Hi FouFou,Many thanks for web site.I have been looking for this for argosity for a long time. Barney.

FOUFOU
1st September 2005, 22:22
Hi Barney, glad to be of service I know what is like spending years searching for a photo of a ship. I spent a long time looking for a photo of my first ship the Barrington Court a real old tramp, a pretty horrendous introduction to sea for a 16year old in 1960. I came across the site by accident and there she was, now I have seen her again it brings back the old memories. I`m sure we look through rose tinted glasses at the past but I did have some great times and my only regret is I didn`t stay at sea longer!!
best regards Pat

ruud
24th May 2006, 01:01
Danube4.Hi FouFou,Many thanks for web site.I have been looking for this for argosity for a long time. Barney.
Ahoy Barney,
Here your Argosity 1956,photo by A.Duncan source Everard of Greenhithe courtesy by K.S.Garrett.

Santos
24th May 2006, 20:57
Nice one Rudd, well done, (Applause)

Barney will be well pleased.

Chris.

danube4
24th May 2006, 21:27
Hi Chris. You're right i am well pleased. I now have four pics. Thanks for all your help everyone.

marcnoonan
8th June 2006, 17:00
Hi Fou fou,

My Grandad Frank Cook served on the Barrington Court, do you have any further photos you could forward please.

Cheers

Marc

ruud
8th June 2006, 20:11
Ahoy Marc,

Here your Barrington Court, no idea where that piccie came/belonged to.
But now knows who took it, so all credits/courtesy to Peter aka Peggy747, thanks mate and sorry that I didn't knew where it came from.

benjidog
8th June 2006, 21:37
Another example of the resourcefulness of our members in helping each other - I note that people are still trying to help on a thread that started i nAugust 2005!

Real persistence - thanks to everyone and especially Ruud. (Applause)

Brian

Peggy747
18th June 2006, 01:19
Ahoy Marc,

Here your Barrington Court, no idea where that piccie came/belonged to.

Hello Rudd, you were able to get a pic of Barrington Court to a friend and you said you didnt know where it came from, thats very kind of you, I took the pic in Lagos Dec 1954, for interest you will note abeam of number 2 hold a vertical difference in the paint colour, we ran out of paint! I was the lamptrimmer and I tried to mix up some more from what I could find and it wasnt a big success but by the time we got back to London it looked good.

Cheers Peter

ruud
18th June 2006, 06:14
Hello Rudd, you were able to get a pic of Barrington Court to a friend and you said you didnt know where it came from, thats very kind of you, I took the pic in Lagos Dec 1954, for interest you will note abeam of number 2 hold a vertical difference in the paint colour, we ran out of paint! I was the lamptrimmer and I tried to mix up some more from what I could find and it wasnt a big success but by the time we got back to London it looked good.

Cheers PeterAhoy Peter,
Just has credit/courtesy that piccie to you, as you will know there are a lot of piccies that can be found on the internet without any footmarks of the owner, especially when they are sended over and over again to other collectors without naming the source from where it came from.But in this case it has been resolved.
Thanks for your comments.
Cheers mate.
Btw Go "Socceroos" for it tonight against Brasil, hope to can stun!!!!!

Peggy747
27th June 2006, 13:28
Hello Rudd, I am delighted that you were able to get a picture to an interested member of this site, in fact I think that when we put such pictures here we are SHARING what we have- they are better out and around the world than being hidden away in a cupboard where nobody sees them.

Kind Regards Peter.

PS "Socceroos" could have beaten Italy but not the Referee !!!!! (Applause)