Kaponga

Jim sargent
15th April 2009, 03:22
Does anyone remember the Kaponga from back in the mid-50's?
I was OS in her in 1954 but can find no reference to her in any of the USSCo historical files.
I recall some of the AB's saying that she was a Baltic trader before being renamed.
Any / all information would be much appreciated.
Jim Sargent

KIWI
15th April 2009, 03:59
The Baltannic & Baltrafick came on the NZ coast during the war years I think to centralise cargo.Maybe one of them was taken over by USSCo & renamed but do not recall having seen it written up anywhere. KIWI

Dave Edge
15th April 2009, 06:43
Jim,
The Kaponga was built in 1949 by Caledon S.B. and E. at Dundee for Currie Line of Leith as a timber carrier, so probably traded to the Baltic. Bought by USS in 1955, laid up in 1958 and sold in 1961 to Leecho Shipping (Yong and Lee Timber Shipping Co) Hong Kong. She was renamed Nam Feng and in 1963 Empress of Victoria. ( August 1967 wrecked off Liu Chiu Hsu Island, 23.15N 119.37E on passage Sandakan to Kaohsiung.

J Boyde
15th April 2009, 10:03
I can remember the remains of a ship called Kaponga just of the tip head of the Greymouth river. Pre 40. Loaded with coal and broached, striking the tip head, north head. He boilers were still visable in the mid 60s.
Jim B

duncan montgomery
15th April 2009, 10:58
Kaponga Was Built 1949 By Caledon S. B.@e. Co.ltd Leith As The Woodland For Curries Of Leith Union Company Had Her Fromm 1955 To 1961

Jim sargent
16th April 2009, 03:44
TO: Kiwi, Dave Edge, J. Boyd & Duncan Montgomery,
Many thanKs for the replies gentlemen. It was the mention of the "Woodland" that stirred the few remaining active brain cells and enabled me to track down a photo through www.photoship.co.uk (a great website).
I recall my time on this ship for a number of reasons....the accommodation was a marked improvement on the existing USSCo norm, the very high bulwarks as compared to the standard "K" class design, the endless supply of soot particles on deck (the Engineers seemed to hate her for this reason) and last, but not least, a very attractive young barmaid in the local pub in Rose Bay (Sydney).
Jim

dally
14th November 2013, 05:48
i was deckboy in her in 1956 she laid up after that and was anchored off devenport for some time