duffle coats

trucker
21st April 2009, 17:17
if this has been mentioned before in another b.p thread ,i apoligise.any crew member,s remember the famous black duffle coats we were issued with.in the 70s.also you could purchase the famous T.U.F work boots from the bond.tan colour.one time arriving in lagos ,the customs helped themselves to some stuff from the bond.next time in lagos customs came aboard with their newly aquired tan boots.very smart they looked.

James_C
21st April 2009, 17:36
Black duffel coats could still be seen until recently!
Certainly they were still onboard 'British Skill' as late as 2002, although that was the last time I saw them.

Satanic Mechanic
21st April 2009, 21:53
Ah the famous black duffel coat - my favourite memory of them was with Indian crew, who lets be honest were not the biggest lads, in sodden duffel coats on deck in Grangemouth, they were anchored to the deck - seriously they had the dynamics of weebols - they couldn't move and if you pushed them they just rocked backwards and forwards

arfabuck
22nd April 2009, 08:10
they were anchored to the deck - seriously they had the dynamics of weebols -

Please excuse the ignorance,- but what is a weebol ?

Art

spongebob
22nd April 2009, 08:29
AS refrigeration engineers the NZSCo issued us with first class creamy fawn coloured duffle coats for wearing in a cold hold or working in the brine room. I left mine on board when I paid off in NZ during summer time and regretted it ever since.

Bob

Satanic Mechanic
22nd April 2009, 09:10
Please excuse the ignorance,- but what is a weebol ?

Art

Same as a weeble :p

Wee toy people with spherical bodies - "they wobble but don't fall over"

Steve Hodges
22nd April 2009, 20:31
I remember on one steamship that the 2nd made emergency oil seals for the T/A bearings by cutting them from crew-issue duffel coats, he used the thick bit round the edge of the hood. Each set only lasted a few days before they had to be replaced, but they got us into port. Poor old Indian crew were getting nervous that their duffelcoat was going to be next ....

mofnotmuff
22nd April 2009, 21:10
On the "Shoush" in the gulf in 83 I was on evening 8 - 12 watch with only a T shirt and shorts on - it was a bit nippy so i went for a duffel coat. They were all locked away due to our location - I went into the fridges and found the ones the cooks used when storing. I returned to deck warm as toast. The PO said where did you get that ( he had locked the deck crews ones away) - from the fridges I replied - it will be full of cockies he said - he wasnt wrong - ever tried undoing half a dozon duffel toggles in a blind panic?

as soon as it hit the deck several cockies made a run for it - i shivered for the rest of the watch. At 12 I took it back aft and hung it over the stair guarding - there was a lot of swearing in the morning as most of the cockies had "jumped ship" and where cabin sharing with the crew - i was not popular!

R58484956
23rd April 2009, 09:43
On a cargo boat going down the Red sea one of the deck apprentices wore his duffle coat while chipping the deck, I asked him why and he said if it keeps the cold out then it keeps the heat out. Say no more.

trucker
23rd April 2009, 12:16
the reason i brought up duffle coats is B.P.must have been one of the first companies to issue heavy weather gear.?i remember on g.p.ships lads working in the E/R with only tee shirts and shorts.then B.P.issued all crew with white boiler suites.then the cheap yellow oil skins.didn,t complain though.owt for nowt.but a bit iffy every one wearing white boiler suites.no one could tell the crew from engineers, and officer,s from crew.OUCH.couldn,t even dare think what the r/o,s thought.

barnsey
8th May 2009, 13:10
Ha ....some lovely tales about the Duffel coats .... but, trucker were the cheap oilskins you mention those which were quite a soft, almost suede feel to them? I thought they were pretty good ... lightweight, flexible and pretty warm .... bought some for yachting use ...

sidsal
8th May 2009, 17:26
Not exactly a duffle coat but a naval greatcoat was heavy and down to your ankles and had 2 rows of brass buttons from neck to bekow the knees.
I sailed with a great chap - Pat Palin -Pangbourne trained. He died a couple of years ago when he was fleet manager for NZ Shipping Corpn.
In 1944 we were apprentices on the Fort Camosun and Pat used to wear his greatcoat on watch. He told me that he had found a great way of resting on watch. As was common then the apprentice kept watch on the windward side of the bridge whilst the mate would be on the leeward side. The windward door of the wheelhouse would be shut to keep out the wind.
Pat had found that if he unbuttoned his coat and stood against a stanchion holding up the monkey isand, and fastend the buttons around it, he could lean back and almost have a snooze.
Anyway one night there was a panic on the bridge - the door flew open and the 2nd Mate shouted Pat to get down below immediatley to get something( forget what). Of course he could not extricate himself without undoing all the buttons so he was in the mire as you can imagine.

vasco
9th May 2009, 01:59
...........in the 70s.also you could purchase the famous T.U.F work boots from the bond.tan colour....... ,

For some weird reason I can remember TUF shoes advertised as having PU88 soles. They were fantastically light and comfortable.

For a little bit of info click on this link http://www.fightingcobbler.co.uk/fc5.htm

and if you want to buy some click this one http://www.selftrading.co.uk/tuf_safety_boots_271006

vasco

trucker
11th May 2009, 15:05
Ha ....some lovely tales about the Duffel coats .... but, trucker were the cheap oilskins you mention those which were quite a soft, almost suede feel to them? I thought they were pretty good ... lightweight, flexible and pretty warm .... bought some for yachting use ...

no these were real plasticy.fell to bits after a couple of tank cleans.still appreciated them,though.(Thumb)

trucker
11th May 2009, 15:08
For some weird reason I can remember TUF shoes advertised as having PU88 soles. They were fantastically light and comfortable.

For a little bit of info click on this link http://www.fightingcobbler.co.uk/fc5.htm

and if you want to buy some click this one http://www.selftrading.co.uk/tuf_safety_boots_271006

vasco

really good work boots.a couple of lads actually paid off in them,looked(Thumb) good with their wranglar ,tuxedo,s.