Rakaia

Bob S
27th August 2005, 17:49
New Zealand Shipping Companies RAKAIA inward bound passing Tilbury.
Photo not dated.
Built 1945
7934 grt

rivet
25th February 2006, 16:18
i was 3rd engineer on the rakaia 1963-64, the chief was john cowper and the second was jack anderson. we came through what was probably the same typhoon as the turakina, this was in the tasman sea.great ships and great times.

Tom Haywood
4th May 2006, 04:22
RAKAIA
(Offical Number: 168539)

Tonnages: 8,563 gross, 5,026 net, 9,633 deadweight
8 cyl. 2 S.C.D.A. B&W diesel by the shipbuilders, 7,500 bhp, 15 knots.
Passengers: 45 under war conditions. 1946 > 1950: 36 cabin class.
Refrigerated space: 367,900 c.f.R.

30/12/1944: Launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast and delivered on 30/06/1945 to the Ministry of War Transport as Empire Abercorn.
26/06/1946: Sold to NZS on 26/11/1946 as RAKAIA.
03 to 6/1950: Converted at Liverpool as a cadet ship for 38 cadets, reduced to 28 in 1958. She ceased that role in 1968.
10/10/1957: Suffered an engine breakdown in the North Atlantic 700 miles out of New York, bound Bluff and New York to Manchester. She reached Liverpool after 11 days on 6 cylinders and with improvised sail assistance. Repairs by Harland & Wolff Ltd took 4 months.
28/12/1966: Transfered to the Federal S.N. Co Ltd.
22/08/1971: Sold to the Lee Sing Shipbreaking Co, Hong Kong, where demolition began in 11/1971
(courtesy Crossed Flags)

Ron Stringer
4th May 2006, 07:44
Just in case you don't know, there is a website for the Rakaia at www.rakaia.co.uk

Ron

davemac
3rd June 2006, 03:41
Thought it might interest some old Rakaia cadets - some misc photos from 62 - 64 - the originals were from slides - not great quality I'm afraid! I do have several more.
Dave.

rivet
15th October 2006, 16:26
Hi Dave
i was an engineer on the Rakaia 1961-64. The two lads, second row down, 4th & 5th from the right look familiar, i think they might be the two engineering cadets. You wasn't by any chance the cadet that used to rip us off by charging two cans of beer for a haircut.
Great Days!
Rivet

davidbettylossie
20th November 2006, 19:53
I was a Junior Engineer I cant remember if it was voyage 32 on 1961
and wullie the baker charged two cans per haircut, it was ok if you were
first in the queue, further down the line you took your life in his hands.
D.Wood

rivet
22nd November 2006, 05:23
hi D.Wood
your name dosn't ring a bell, but it seems i might well have sailed with you, as i joined the Rakaia in 61 as 7th eng. (have to cheque discharge book). the 5th was norman sutherland, 6th was jamie crawford, chief lecky was alex henderson, and c/e was john cowper. i remember the junr eng but can't put a name to the face. the 3rd was big Ron & the 4th was john waugh.
dave carpenter

rivet
23rd November 2006, 17:41
have to learn to spell, cheque should read check, well it was the middle of the night.
rivet

davidbettylossie
29th November 2006, 19:25
The trip after I left was a double header, she went to the states broke down
and returned to the UK for repairs, I am certain it was Genny problems.
On my last trip Norman was Junior,I was 7th, Jimmy 6th,George Findlay 5th,
Ian Renton 4th,George Innes 3rd.John Cowper Ch/Eng. and Alec was Elec'y.
Fridge Moody?
best regards David Wood

rivet
1st December 2006, 00:38
Hi Dave
Its a small world now that we have computers, i am in touch with Alex Henderson, he lives up in Inverness, i heard that Jamie Crawford settled in NZ.
I did a double header as 3rd eng. with Ron Moody. i also keep in touch with Davey Lang (lecky) and Brian Henderson (lecky).
All good shipmates and what good times!

davidbettylossie
1st December 2006, 10:16
Morning, I served my apprenticeship with Jimmy Crawford in Lossie.all our
apprentices went deep sea when it was completed, John Cowper ch/eng.
used to go round local Northeast works recuiting junior engineers for his next
trip when he was on leave.
best regards David.

rivet
2nd December 2006, 09:54
Hi Dave
We obviously went through the same mill. What you said about Chiefy fits him to a Tee. I did five voyages with him, he was highly respected, a sort of father figure. I got the impression that he liked to think of the engineers as his lads, however he didn't suffer fools lightly. After a particularly long stint down below, he always had a case of beer put in the brine room for us,even as you probably remember, he didn't drink himself. If you have any news on jamie i would be pleased to know. Davey Lang 2nd lecky has visited Lossiemouth but was unable to trace him.
you might be interested in my web sight www.dockland.fsworld.co.uk
regards
Dave

davidbettylossie
2nd December 2006, 21:58
Evening, Jim Crawford was a Engineer in Auckland Hospital. Last summer we
had a Class reunion in Lossiemouth but he was on Holiday and could not attend, I will do my best to find out any news of him.
Norman Sutherland came ashore after he married a lass from Australia.
worked in a grain malting place in Burghead as a maintainance engineer (whisky) took early retirement and moved back to Australia a few years
ago. its a small world
best regards David

rivet
4th December 2006, 16:03
Evening, Jim Crawford was a Engineer in Auckland Hospital. Last summer we
had a Class reunion in Lossiemouth but he was on Holiday and could not attend, I will do my best to find out any news of him.
Norman Sutherland came ashore after he married a lass from Australia.
worked in a grain malting place in Burghead as a maintainance engineer (whisky) took early retirement and moved back to Australia a few years
ago. its a small world
best regards David
Hi Dave
What good news, if can come up with any more info it would be great. It would be nice to get in touch after all these years. If you let me have your address i will send you a copy of my book 'Dockland apprentice'
Regards Dave

davemac
27th December 2006, 19:14
Hi Dave
i was an engineer on the Rakaia 1961-64. The two lads, second row down, 4th & 5th from the right look familiar, i think they might be the two engineering cadets. You wasn't by any chance the cadet that used to rip us off by charging two cans of beer for a haircut.
Great Days!
Rivet
Hi Dave - sorry, havent been on here for a while.....the guy 5th from Rt is 'Twitch' Middleton (cadet captain) and on his left shoulder is 'Laddie' (something!) - they were both deck.....the guy that usedto cut our hair is Dave Spain - bottom right.
These memories are somewhat 'grey', so I could be wrong!
Dave

rivet
21st January 2007, 19:19
Hi Dave
i have just read your thread, you must have been one the double header where we spent xmas in cornerbrook. great time! you probably remember paul wood, he has a good web sight. www. rakaia.co.uk

davemac
15th February 2007, 21:19
Hi Dave
i have just read your thread, you must have been one the double header where we spent xmas in cornerbrook. great time! you probably remember paul wood, he has a good web sight. www. rakaia.co.uk
yes Rivet, I met Paul when i was in the UK a couple of years ago! Yes, I was on her on the double-header in 63? I remember raiding the Nicolas? (or Alex) Bowater one night and throwing all removable objects into the deep snow on the dock! Don't remember any decent looking women in Cornerbook though!

rivet
22nd February 2007, 19:08
Hi dave
I've just come back on sight. yes it was the Nicholas Bowater, we had a good party on her on Xmas eve. Xmas day her engineers came over for a session on the Rakaia. Boxing day we had to strip out the scavenge blower drive and repair the bibby coupling. We managed to get it all boxed up by late evening then joined the Bowater mob at a shoreside party arranged by some girls from a theatrical group. you must have missed out! I can't remember what happened after that! next thing we were on our way to Bermuda. I was 3rd engineer at the time. Coincedently i sailed with the electrician from the Nicholas Bowater a couple of years later on the La Hortensia a Buries Marks ship.
Rivet

rox
24th April 2008, 23:22
Hi Guys,
I have just joined and found the RAKAIA postings. I was only on there for one cruise as a cadet in '68 or '69.
I was also on Voyage 47 of the DORSET an sixer. Chief was Angus Keddie, 3rd Derek Hetherington, Ivor Girling was Chief Freezer.
Such a long time ago but I do remember some real good times.

clive cowie
6th August 2008, 22:16
Hi Dave
We obviously went through the same mill. What you said about Chiefy fits him to a Tee. I did five voyages with him, he was highly respected, a sort of father figure. I got the impression that he liked to think of the engineers as his lads, however he didn't suffer fools lightly. After a particularly long stint down below, he always had a case of beer put in the brine room for us,even as you probably remember, he didn't drink himself. If you have any news on jamie i would be pleased to know. Davey Lang 2nd lecky has visited Lossiemouth but was unable to trace him.
you might be interested in my web sight www.dockland.fsworld.co.uk
regards
Dave

I am intrigued to hear that John Cowper did not drink. Although I have no reason to doubt it, John Cowper introduced me to my favourite tipple - Whisky.

I was a deck cadet on "Rakaia" and was invited, together with Neil Drummond, to John's Hogmanay Party in , I think, 1961. I was plied with the liquid gold, and my last memory was sliding down the bulkhead, and crawling out feeling not too well. However I persevered and learned to enjoy it

rivet
6th September 2008, 07:01
Hi Cive
We would have to have sight of Chiefy,s wine chities to find out the truth.
However i never saw him drink the hard stuff during my 5 voyages with him.
All the best
rivet

thundert
15th October 2012, 19:20
I am hoping someone will be able to help me find out some info on my father’s time as a deck boy on M.V Rakaia. All I have at the moment is a picture of my father in his deck uniform and a picture of M.V Rakaia where he has written on the back his name and date of Sept 1958. I also have a picture of M.V Otaio where he has written on the back To mum love John.
My father’s name was Reginald John Stannard dob 17/7/42. He sadly died in 1981 and I am now researching his life. His parents died when he was 4 and he spent some years in children’s homes before he went to live with foster parents. From memory He told us he joined the Navy when he was 14 and sailed to New Zealand. He joined the army in 1960 when he was 18 and stated his occupation as merchant seaman. Do you know where I might find any records of his time on board these ships? I have looked through the photos on the Rakaia site but he is not in any of them.
Thanks
Cheryl

Rakaia100
4th April 2013, 17:00
Just uploaded some pictures of life on the Rakaia 1959/1962. Will be adding some more in the next day or so.

JohnCurran
12th July 2013, 11:36
I was on the Rakaia as 7th Engineer in 1968/9 my first trip to sea after an shoreside apprenticeship we did a trip from Liverpool to Oz and back
I was on nightshift on watch in Melbourne the night that the Generator threw a con rod.
I went on to join OCL / Container Fleets as 3rd Engineer when containerisation started left the sea in 1976.
After 2 years in the UK and 2 in Guyana went out to Dubai as Ship Repair Manager, Dubai Drydocks 80 to 89 and then emigrated to Australia now retired and living near Perth