Union-Castle's Fort Carillon

Kiwi One
24th April 2009, 08:19
The article about the U-C cargo ships prompts me to write. Does anyome remember the Fort Carillon? UCMSCo managed her when, in 1948/49 I did an eight-month voyage around Africa from London, calling, in order, at Genoa, Suez Canal, Port Sudan, Aden, Mombasa, Tanga, Pemba, Zanzibar, Dar-Es Salaam, Lindi, Mikindani, Beira, Lourenco Marques, Durban, Port Elizabeth, (where loaded a full cargo of bombs) Abu Sultan and Adabiya, (Suez) Mombasa, Beira, L.M., Durban, Luderitz Bay, Walvis Bay, Hamburg, London. How's that for an intimate knowledge of the African coast? I met my wife in P.E. and we are still together after 60 years.
The skipper was Captain A.C.M. Black, a real gentleman and much admired by all hands.
When we were in port with a UCMS pasenger ship, we had to haul down our house flag. With a black hull the poor old Fort Carillon couldn't be associated with the lavender-hulled elegance of the mailships and the"intermediates"!

David Davies
24th April 2009, 08:53
Remember seeing her coming into London July/August? 1949 whilst on Llangibby Castle. As bridge boy I was ordered not to acknowledge her dip, if she did. Also Sandown (Rundown) Castle was in the river at the same time. Ships that passed in the morning

shipmate17
24th April 2009, 10:56
Hi,
FORT CARILLON id 1168482. Grt. 7129. Built 1943 by Davie SB. Lauzon. ex MOUNT ROYAL ex MONTE RICO. ex LAMYRIS. ex BARBARINO> Wrecked outside Novorossiisk 8/1/68.