Bank Line's White Sheer Line

Alistair Macnab
24th April 2009, 17:09
A recent situation has arisen in the "Gallery" section of SN as to when the white sheerline was authorized on Bank boats and when it was discontinued.
It seems to have been present in photographs taken in the late 1940s / early 1950s but is absent from pre-WW2 and from the "Beaverbank (1953) onwards.
Why was the practice discontinued?
This is either an exercise in the acquiring of useless knowledge, occupational therapy for Old Farts or something useful that SN members can do for the record before they crock off!

David E
25th April 2009, 00:06
A recent situation has arisen in the "Gallery" section of SN as to when the white sheerline was authorized on Bank boats and when it was discontinued.
It seems to have been present in photographs taken in the late 1940s / early 1950s but is absent from pre-WW2 and from the "Beaverbank (1953) onwards.
Why was the practice discontinued?
This is either an exercise in the acquiring of useless knowledge, occupational therapy for Old Farts or something useful that SN members can do for the record before they crock off!

Alistair,
I remember painting the white sheerline on the 'Myrtlebank' in May/June 1950.I don't know when the markings vanished-they had gone when I went back into the main fleet in 1952.The superstructure changed from buff to white at the same time.

David E

John Rogers
25th April 2009, 00:56
There was none on the Moraybank when I sailed on her in 1948.

John.

David E
25th April 2009, 12:19
There was none on the Moraybank when I sailed on her in 1948.

John.

I think the instructions from Bury St. came out in May or June '50.I rememeber seeing them and doing the work in Wellington where we caused a long Dockers strike-can't remember the details but it was something to do with handling drums of 'road-oil' that we had loaded in Trinidad.

Alistair Macnab
25th April 2009, 17:10
Thanks guys! This is most encouraging. Now if we can also find out when it was discontinued and why. Fortunately there are more of you in SN than I ever dared hope who were active in Weir's at the material time. Cheers!

Alistair Macnab
3rd May 2009, 20:40
Are we all agreed then, that the white sheerline was ordered by Bury Street at the same time as the buff topsides were painted white in May/June 1950 and that the existing fleet was retro-painted in this livery?

Do I presume that the "Eastbank" three were painted with white topsides and the sheerline from the builders yard in 1947 - 1948?

Which leaves the question: When was the white sheerline discontinued?

I think we'd better resolve this before the late 40s/early50s crowd begin to loose their memory for details! Me Included!

David E
4th May 2009, 12:39
To confuse the issue still further, I'm not sure that the "Eastbank" class were painted with the new colours when they were built.We were in Port Lincoln with the "Southbank" at the dog-end of '49 and I'm pretty sure she was still in the old colours-we visited her a lot-to Apprentices,stuck in the "Myrtlebank" she was the promised land !
I think the sheerline white vanished some time prior to 1952.I joined the "Forresbank" in July at Smiths D.D in North Shields where the accomodation was being upgraded.The structure was white,the hull was being painted round and I remember wondering where the white line had gone-they certainly wern't painting over it.
There must be other ancients sailing in the main fleet who can remember '50 and '51!
There are a large number of photographs of the fleet in the Red Duster/Bank Line site-ships with and without the sheerline marking-problem is they are not dated,but they may provide a clue

Alan Rawlinson
11th May 2009, 06:45
Hallo All - Have just returned to read the great '' white stripe '' debate. I seem to have spent too much time on Eastbank, Westbank, Southbank, etc and started in summer 1951 on the ' old ' Forthbank. Cannot recall a white stripe on any of them, although the photo of ' Inchanga ' I posted earlier, taken in May 1952 does show the stripe. My guess is the policy was changed in 1950/51 and it took some time to work it's way through the fleet, just like BA flying around with the old livery on the tail long after a change was decreed.

Cheers//AL