What does an engine sound like on starting?

Ian J. Huckin
26th April 2009, 14:21
I always thought a 'K' MAN sounded like:

Sssshhhhhh........chuuuuuu......chuuuuu...chuuuu.. chuuu.chuu

or maybe I got it wrong....(POP)

cryan
26th April 2009, 14:37
My Blackstones go like this, sssssssss - whuuuhp, whuhp whuhp trrrrrrrrruhm. trrruhm trrruhm etc etc.

Sister Eleff
26th April 2009, 14:42
Fancy that, I always thought it was ... brm brm BRRRUMM (Jester)

Oz.
26th April 2009, 14:47
Paxtons go like this -" BANG !!! then a long silence ".
Sis, your thinking of a Harley Davison !

Fieldsy
26th April 2009, 16:12
Each morning when the I sit up the coughing starts - and reminds me of many engines I've sailed with!

Sabastapol
26th April 2009, 16:31
I always thought a 'K' MAN sounded like:

Sssshhhhhh........chuuuuuu......chuuuuu...chuuuu.. chuuu.chuu

or maybe I got it wrong....(POP)

...'K' MAN that sounds just like a Werkspoor to me! (Thumb)

K urgess
26th April 2009, 16:51
JUst type Doxford or any other make into YouTube and you'll find something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9hr3D0RDI

Chris Isaac
26th April 2009, 17:27
And this is a steam turbine starting

Tmac1720
26th April 2009, 19:39
Harland and Wolff engines are quite unique when starting .....Putt putt putt wheeze gasp pfaaaaaart (Jester)

Of course nowadays they are completely silent!!! (Cloud)

Tmac1720
26th April 2009, 19:40
Fancy that, I always thought it was ... brm brm BRRRUMM (Jester)

I'd love to get your motor running if only I could find the right button (*))

Satanic Mechanic
26th April 2009, 22:48
Paxtons go like this -" BANG !!! then a long silence ".
Sis, your thinking of a Harley Davison !

Paxmans go vrrrrrroooooooommmmm bang whizz whoosh - weeooh weeeoh weeeoh (although technically thats the fire alarm)

harley's go potato potato potato

Santos
26th April 2009, 22:58
As far as I can remember, Doxfords just went bang followed by two perfect smoke rings out of the funnel just when you needed them to go berbumph, berbumph, berbumph.

Chris.

Macphail
26th April 2009, 23:00
B&W...
An indicator cock left open...

Shisshissh,,Bang.. Bang.. Bang.. Bang..

spongebob
26th April 2009, 23:20
A Sulzer trunk piston job

"Thuk,Thuk,Thuk,Thuk"

The damn thing wont start!Give it another squirt

KIWI
26th April 2009, 23:54
Related this some years ago.Three boys fishing from the end of wharf & a tanker at next wharf is preparing to sail.Tug pulls bow out & starting air is applied with no result.This is done three times & on the third she fires & is away.One boy asks what all the hissing & chugalugs was about & another answers that they were changing gear.Seemed quite logical at the time. KIWI

Ian J. Huckin
27th April 2009, 18:23
Paxmans go vrrrrrroooooooommmmm bang whizz whoosh - weeooh weeeoh weeeoh (although technically thats the fire alarm)

harley's go potato potato potato

Satanic Mechanic - I'm an irritating purist so I would have to say that only pre twin cam and evolution HDs went potato potato, I think the best example was a 1340 Shovelhead.(Thumb)

Bob Jenkins - you are right thulzers thuk...:-)

Tony Crompton
27th April 2009, 19:40
Like "Music from Heaven" when approaching a berth on a large heavy loaded ship and you hear the sound of the engine starting to go astern.

Tony

Satanic Mechanic
28th April 2009, 00:35
Satanic Mechanic - I'm an irritating purist so I would have to say that only pre twin cam and evolution HDs went potato potato, I think the best example was a 1340 Shovelhead.(Thumb)

Bob Jenkins - you are right thulzers thuk...:-)

(Jester) Fair enough - we do need an evolution Harley impression though

on the other hand I'm right about the paxman

chadburn
28th April 2009, 17:00
Never worked on one, but one of the most unforgetable engine sounds for me as a youngster in the N.E. was the unique sound of a Bolinders engined Dutch "Clog" followed by the Gertrude and Otrude Mueller which were supposed to have had salvaged "U" Boat engine's fitted and made a distinctive whine when coming alongside. Engine's worked on? the BANG start early Deltic's, Did they ever change the Cartridge start system in later years?

Steve Woodward
28th April 2009, 17:52
Two PC4 V12 Pilesticks - huge sound of wasted compressed air, loud bangs, huge ammount of racket from the engine room and a quieter - thank god for that from the control room / bridge

Ian J. Huckin
28th April 2009, 20:03
the BANG start early Deltic's, Did they ever change the Cartridge start system in later years?

Amazing just how quickly those Deltics started and stopped.......I believe they were always cartridge started...only time I saw them running was on the famous locos. Did RFA have some Deltics???

Macphail
28th April 2009, 21:49
And this is a steam turbine starting

The steam ship, gentle hissing of the steam, gentle noise of the turbine, very little vibration. I like the thumping of a motor ship.
Big problem! With the steam ship. 40% 0f the fuel energy goes over the wall via the condenser.

John>

Ian J. Huckin
28th April 2009, 22:56
Big problem! With the steam ship. 40% 0f the fuel energy goes over the wall via the condenser.

John>

Agreed...Heat it up just to cool it down, helluva Rankine Cycle that!!!!

36/16 CATS sound like:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzcatunk....c atunk...catunk..catunk..SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sister Eleff
29th April 2009, 00:10
Best sound is the wind in the sails ... and no motor running (Thumb)

JoK
29th April 2009, 00:35
Anyone ever hear a 7 cylinder Cooper Bessemer start? First day on this ship after being on the steamer for several years, the other engineer started these things. I stepped in behind the 2nd, I was positive they were going to fly apart with all the clanking and banging.
They also had the annoying habit of starting astern and exhausting through the intake. That was fun and this is what the engine room looked like ->(Cloud)

Satanic Mechanic
29th April 2009, 12:25
The steam ship, gentle hissing of the steam, gentle noise of the turbine, very little vibration. I like the thumping of a motor ship.

John>

Never heard a TA starting - they were always already running on delivery(Smoke)

david freeman
29th April 2009, 20:29
HW Opposed Piston and doxford opposed piston 6 Cylinder-pisss bang fart

Ian J. Huckin
29th April 2009, 20:49
HW Opposed Piston and doxford opposed piston 6 Cylinder-pisss bang fart

What did the other three units sound like?(Jester)

But you did just remind me of something:

On an MAN 8K70/120E if you stood by the gearcasing on the middles and the engine was on DO at about 60 rpm the fuel pumps spoke to you and, in my mind, they said:

"every ones a mutha F&*@$"

Of course, I might be wrong....

steviej
29th April 2009, 21:45
Nice air start to this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTnXp3LUUU&feature=channel_page

Macphail
29th April 2009, 22:24
Nice air start to this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTnXp3LUUU&feature=channel_page

Thanks for that Steviej,

All the best,

John.

raybnz
30th April 2009, 08:57
If I was down on the plates and starting any type of main engine it would sound like music to my ears. All those years have gone and I would still find it exciting no matter what noise they made. I could even put up with the Chief or 2nd shouting at me when I lifted the safety valves.

The races we had starting a Doxford. Where are you Sparrow or Johny Muir.