Jimmy"Pudding"Walsh

taxus67
2nd May 2009, 22:26
Hello Gentlemen, I'm a new member named Tommy Walsh from Cardiff S. Wales. Unfortunately no connection with the Merchant Navy apart from three uncles, one of which I am researching, his name was JIMMY WALSH known at home as "pudding"! don't know why! my recollection of him he was built like a starving whippet!! Anyway as I understand it he was a company man, would that be the right phrase? with the Port Line, I remember going on board ship with him when I was a nipper, think it was Port Auckland unloading meat? in Cardiff, a beautiful looking grey ship with red funnel. Well Jimmy met with an accident, we believe in Hobart we think in the early 60's and was drowned. Is there any one out there remembers him or could give me some information about him, however tenuous I would be most grateful. Thank you.

tsell
3rd May 2009, 00:02
Welcome Tommy from Australia, (ex Roath, Cardiff).
There are many ex Port Line members on this great site who may be able to help you with your research.
Meanwhile enjoy the benefits of SN.

Good luck in your search,

Taffy R556959

John Rogers
3rd May 2009, 00:02
Welcome to SN Taxus67, I'm sure some of the members will be able to shed some light on your question. Can you tell us what year you went on board the port lines ship with him,what his job was, all this could help.

John.

taxus67
3rd May 2009, 19:31
Thank you for your good wishes. I have just found SN and am confident I will get some information, have already been given another web-site to try (Port Lines Reunion) by a member of SN, have been running into brick walls for months. We always seem to wait until those who knew the answers are gone! Was in sunny Roath today, same as it always was, except for the traffic. I was brought up in Newtown Cardiff close to the docks perhaps you know of it Regards Tommy Walsh

taxus67
3rd May 2009, 19:39
John , Thanks for your interest, the nearest I can get to a date we visited my uncle Jimmy Walsh's ship would have been late 50's and I'm afraid I dont know what his position aboard ship was. have been informed he was 49 when he drowned so that would put his death in c1959. Many thanks Tommy Walsh