Africa Palm

Alwyn
11th April 2004, 22:41
Shows the Africa Palm during a Bank-Columbus charter about 1982.
For the duration of the charter it was re-named the "Santa Barbera Pacific".

Chris Weston
10th December 2006, 12:02
Hi Alwyn
is your surname Copin [spelling?] ,if so I sailed with you possibly on the Apapa Palm ,but definitely between 1986 1988. I was second electrician I think you were fourth engineer
let me know
Chris Weston

Chris Weston
10th December 2006, 12:03
sorry 1976 1978 time moves on
Chris

Palmship
16th December 2006, 16:42
Chris, Hi, yes it is Alwyn Coppin, don't think he uses the site much anymore. According to Palm Bulletin you were together on the Apapa Palm as at 1st December 1977, just after she joined the fleet.

regards
Graham

Chris Weston
1st January 2007, 16:50
Chris, Hi, yes it is Alwyn Coppin, don't think he uses the site much anymore. According to Palm Bulletin you were together on the Apapa Palm as at 1st December 1977, just after she joined the fleet.

regards
Graham
Hi Graham
I did get a reply from him ,he remembered a small incident where a chip fat fryer caught fire whilst the Apapa was in dry dock in Middle Docks in South Shields . I sailed on the first 2 trips before leaving Palm Line summer 1978. I joined her in Lagos originally whilst she was still the Schoenburg The photo of the ER Scottie dog posted was probably taken just after I left . The chief on my last trip was John Cook the electrician is Cliff Hutchinson. I would be interested in a electronic copy of the bulletin if possible.
All the Best Chris

Palmship
1st January 2007, 18:42
Hi Chris, will try to get the "Bulletin" scannned as soon as I can. You must have worked with my Dad then, he did the voyage prior to the ship being taken over from Schuldts whilst it was on charter to the Black Star Line. He did the drydocking in Sheilds. Adrian Hobbins. Happy New Year.
regards
Graham

Chris Weston
5th January 2007, 13:27
Hi Graham
Happy New Year
I must have sailed with your father I joined the Schoenberg as it was then in Lagos on 17th June 1977 [wonderful things diaries]
and left it in Liverpool , to rejoin in Middle Docks later in the summer
Somewhere I have a photo of the Apapa in Tilbury before leaving on its maiden trip to Lagos , cannot find it at the moment
I have got a scan of an Apapa Palm menu for 18/2/78 but cannot work out how to attach it

Cheers Chris

Chris Weston
5th January 2007, 13:32
Hi Graham
here is nostalgia !!

Chris

barrypriddis
5th January 2007, 22:00
Chris
How I remember those menu cards!!

PIP
14th June 2007, 23:18
Left the company not long after this one was launched. However, I did a voyage on the old Africa Palm, went up the Manchester Ship Cnal in her to SSalford Docks as well. She had very dark wood panelling in the officers cabins, iron radiators that were very troublesome and the Doxford engine was a small bore four, I had a shock when I first saw this small engine in the middle of the plating down below. But it was a happy ship, cannot remember who was on it.

Christopher Roberts
15th June 2007, 13:40
I agree its fantastic to see an old menu card - quite a memento

lakercapt
15th June 2007, 20:31
Viewing that menu was strange as it was very ordinary.
When I sailed with Palm Line 1957/62 the dinner menu was a fairly elaborate affair and we mostly fed well. Had to have some attraction to go down the "Coast".
Guess the daily rate was reduced but scrambled eggs for supper. That is a new one.
Bill

PIP
21st June 2007, 17:38
OK you guys, I will get out my Xmas menu and post it as the Ibadan Palm had a terrific menu for Xmas 1967. The back is signed by all the ships officers; George Redford was the second engineer and the purser/chief steward was Andy Bryce. He used to give us tickets for our expenses and say they had been forwarded to the Kremlin. We had a great crew and 'Gunboat' Smith was the captain.

stan mayes
21st June 2007, 22:40
Hi Pip,
And George Polyfilla face Matthews was Bosun..and I am sure that the Handyman was Billy Hall of Chatham...

stan mayes
19th July 2007, 19:42
Locking Splice has posted a photo in the Gallery of the funnel of Africa Palm..It reminded me of an incident concerning another Palm ship funnel...
When employed as a ships rigger in Tilbury Docks I had a crane drivers licence which enabled me to operate all the types of cranes used in the docks..It was very convenient in storing ships,removing hold rubbish etc...it saved much time in not having to rig derricks..
Mid 1960's I was using a crane to put stewards stores aboard the old LOKOJA PALM and using wire nets..
As I slewed the crane shorewards a gust of wind blew the empty net onto the funnel and it fouled the tree ripping it from its fixings..As I continued to slew,the tree dropped and struck the gunwhale of a lifeboat then fell onto the quay at bottom of gangway...Fortunately nobody was close by...
The felled tree had its fronds straightened and was replanted on the funnel by shiprepairers...

johntmorley
21st July 2007, 10:18
Shows the Africa Palm during a Bank-Columbus charter about 1982.
For the duration of the charter it was re-named the "Santa Barbera Pacific".

I sailed on both the old Africa and new Africa palm lots of fond memories of the old Africa Palm, John Morley

Africapalm
17th June 2013, 23:08
Hi Chris, will try to get the "Bulletin" scannned as soon as I can. You must have worked with my Dad then, he did the voyage prior to the ship being taken over from Schuldts whilst it was on charter to the Black Star Line. He did the drydocking in Sheilds. Adrian Hobbins. Happy New Year.
regards
Graham

Graham long time since we met. You were often on turn rounds with your dad when we met, I was a junior engineer at the time, mark williamson. Best regards to both you and your dad who was great to sail with

Palmship
17th June 2013, 23:50
Hi Mark,

Really good to hear from you, I remember you well. You had a lot of pestering to put up with from me! Dad is well and sends his regards back, he was 80 last October and is still golfing most days.

What are you up to these days? PM me if you like

Regards
Graham

cacique
18th June 2013, 00:02
Africapalm, great to see you here and a very warm welcome from the Palmliners that are still around. I often wondered what had happened to you after that little job in Falmouth with Eddie Burkhill.

Kind Regards,
David Wilson.

Africapalm
18th June 2013, 00:06
Hi graham, just found this site today and going through some of the comments. Must be getting old as nostalgic for palm. Left the sea in 86 when booted out by palm, done all sorts, now work as business development manager for a college in Birkenhead. What about you? Your dad was the best guy, still enjoying his tipple I suppose.

Africapalm
18th June 2013, 00:14
Africapalm, great to see you here and a very warm welcome from the Palmliners that are still around. I often wondered what had happened to you after that little job in Falmouth with Eddie Burkhill.

Kind Regards,
David Wilson.

Hi Dave, noticed your comments on the forum, but didn't expect a reply as they are mostly old. Just found this site today, getting nostalgic for the good old days, went looking for pictures and info, are you still in Venezuela ? I've buggered about a bit since Falmouth, always waiting for a call to join you. Now work in a marine engineering college in Birkenhead as business development manager. Sad to read about the guys we have lost, Matty and Bob, both great guys.

Keep in touch

Mark