City of Newcastle

Roy Jacobs
28th August 2005, 21:52
My last ship was the City of Newcastle,.i was serving as 4th engineer until her last voyage, then she was sold to the Ben line as the Benrathe in 1967.

RCHARLTON
28th August 2005, 22:15
If you need a photo of her, you can find one in the gallery under my name.

Ray

R58484956
1st September 2005, 18:41
Welcome to the site Ginger, you have made a contact, enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

Citystalbans
3rd October 2007, 00:09
Something wrong here, I sailed two trips on the Newcastle , the second trip was 9 mths long and terminated in Montreal in 1976. The Olympic games were on the time and all the flights home were booked out, so we were put up in a French style hotel for a fortnight ---first time I ate snails. I digress, the poiunt is ,was this the same City of Newcastle that you refer to.

sparkie2182
3rd October 2007, 00:11
hello rcharlton...........

nice avatar..........

the old cunard monkey passing the buck..........:)

Chouan
3rd October 2007, 08:51
She sailed under Ben Line colours for a while, then returned to her rightful name and livery.

AlexBooth
28th October 2007, 13:36
Something wrong here, I sailed two trips on the Newcastle , the second trip was 9 mths long and terminated in Montreal in 1976. The Olympic games were on the time and all the flights home were booked out, so we were put up in a French style hotel for a fortnight ---first time I ate snails. I digress, the poiunt is ,was this the same City of Newcastle that you refer to.

I find that wierd too,as you said,to me the Newcastle was one of the small jobs,to me too samall for the Cdn City run.

Chouan
28th October 2007, 23:06
5 hatch job, same same Colombo, Auckland, Wellington.

taxi-man
29th October 2007, 21:46
I was on the C.I.P. run on the "Delhi", the year before in 1975, second trip as 3/o, so that class were def. used on that run.

AlexBooth
29th October 2007, 22:03
The Newcastle was on the MANS run or Cdn City ?
CIP that was a Brocklebank run wasn't it ? running paper down to the the ECUS.

Chouan
30th October 2007, 10:15
I was on the CIP on the Wellington in '76. Loaded UK for the Gulf, then the usual Bay of Bengal ports, Sri Lanka, Cochin, Mombasa, Durban, Cape Town, Montreal, Toronto, then back to Karachi etc etc.

TIM HUDSON
30th October 2007, 10:52
I sailed as 3rd. Engineer on City of Newcastle in 1967....one of my all time favourite ships..... good looks, a good runner and as a bonus on a most enjoyable run ! (Far East). Unfortunately I think it was its last voyage there and went to east africa after summer 1967....and some time after going over to Ben Line...........happy days ! (we were offered jobs in Ben Line at the change over, some went some stayed...

taxi-man
30th October 2007, 20:35
C.I.P stood for Canada, India and Pakistan, cheers.

taxi-man
30th October 2007, 20:40
Thinking back the "Delhi" was a bit of a wreck on that run, the mate used to send the cadets around in the mornings, to see what had fallen off during the night. It was a very happy ship though, and I was on it for nearly 7 months all told, and overall I suppose it was my best trip deep-sea.

AlexBooth
30th October 2007, 22:01
C.I.P stood for Canada, India and Pakistan, cheers.

Sorry (once again!), I knew CIP as the Canandain International Paper run out of Cornerbrook down to the USEC and Caribes & Sth America which Brocklebanks were running - Ellerman's CIP was before my time, I came on board when the red terradactals (sp?) footprint was stamped on the funnel and it became CCL. Which, by the way, I was informed when I was living in Montreal, the Candian general agent, McClean Kennedy, were the owners of the funnel mark and in fact the service was some kind of joint venture between Ellermans and Mclean Kennedy. There's usless some trivia for you
(Pint) (Smoke)

AlexBooth
30th October 2007, 22:11
Ok chaps, if I may diverge a bit on this thread, but something just came to mind.

Ok picture this Montreal with both MANS & CIP(CCL) ships on Empire's dock, sometimes three at a time, anyone have any memories of the combined parties we used to have at the Father's Moustache, particularly Tuesday nights when it was nurses night, jugs of beer 2x1 etc etc upstairs in the balcony singing along following the bouncing ball.............

Then to diverge even a little further the crew change over and the famous charter flights back to the Uk ? Old Britannias (4 prop jobs anyway) I think they were and had to stop for fuel in Ganda and, once even in Ireland. Drinking the plane dry then hitting our docking bottles, Shoot I'd forgotten all about those crew change-overs.
- anyone care to pick it up from here ? - This could be a good one.....
(Pint) (Smoke)

Sebe
30th October 2007, 22:22
Spent fifteen months on the City of Auckland on the MANZ run '66/'67. Flew out to New York with Air India to join vessel. Paid off in St.John and by rail to Montreal, followed by a great week on the Franconia back to the UK.
Oh, what a great time....

Sebe

taxi-man
31st October 2007, 23:42
After spending 7 months on the "Delhi", joined in Montreal in early May, went up the lakes as far as Chicago, dry docked at Port Welland for 3 weeks!!!!!, all the usual ports outward, Cleveland,Hamilton,Toronto,Montreal,Quebec, and Trois Riviers, sailed for Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban,Mombasa, Tanga,Dar-es-Salaam,Karachi,Bombay,Cochin,Calcutta,Chittagong,C olombo,Durban for bunkers,Dakar(Senegal), where a fire burnt out the gallay, then across the North Atlantic in mid December with only the steamer working (boiled fish,beef and spuds all the way home!!), and berthed in Montreal on the 17/12/1975, to be told that there were no outbound seats to be had until after the new year, and that we'd have to stay in a hotel until flights were available.
Our reliefs arrived, we handed over, then the agent called to say he'd managed to get flights for us that night, after frenzied packing we left for the airport,which was the new Mirabel one, just opened in prep. for the 1976 Olympics.We flew home on a B.A. jumbo, and arrived in Heathrow on the morning of 18/12/1975, after drinking the plane dry, then starting on the docking bottles, I remember the stewardesses were really great with us, we were spread all over the plane,and they moved passengers around, so that we were all sat together at the back of the plane.What a session that was. As I have mentioned in a previous post, a very happy ship, great crowd, and my best trip deep sea.

AlexBooth
31st October 2007, 23:53
Taxi-man, in your time where you sailing under the black white & shyte or the Terradactles footprint ?
(Pint) (Smoke)

taxi-man
31st October 2007, 23:55
Hi Alex, the "Delhi" had the Terradactles footprint lol

taxi-man
1st November 2007, 00:05
I remember being told by one of the agents, that the maple leaf on the Canadian flag could not be replicated, by anyone else. thats why the leaf on the funnels had 13 points, whereas the official leaf has 11 points, and I think the leaf on Air Canada aircraft had 9 points.
A bit of truly useless information lol.

AlexBooth
1st November 2007, 00:43
I won a case of beer off Capt Hine & the Mate, Cliff Bunt on the Colombo for same self same reason when she switched over from B.W.& S to the CCL colours. (Pint) (Smoke)

Fergus 62
1st November 2007, 09:15
Alex
Do you know if that was the Capt Hine who was Master on the City of St Albans when she was shelled in the Bay of Bengal late 60s/early 70s.
If so I sailed as 3/o with him on his first trip as Master on the Bedford. He and all the Mates were on respective first trips.

Regards

Fergus 62

shipmate17
1st November 2007, 16:24
According to Miramar.
CITY OF NEWCASTLE. ID 5072935. Flag. GBR. Grt. 7727. SP15.5k. Built 1956 by Stephen.Linthouse. ex 1968 BENRATHA. 1971.CITY OF NEWCASTLE. 1978.EASTERN ENVOY. scrapped Chittagong.1980
Cheers

Don Matheson
1st November 2007, 18:21
The City Of Newcastle was actually launched today, November first 1955 by Alexander Stephens in Linthouse Glasgow. Served my time there, never sailed with City line but they had some beautiful looking ships.

Don

AlexBooth
1st November 2007, 18:55
Alex
Do you know if that was the Capt Hine who was Master on the City of St Albans when she was shelled in the Bay of Bengal late 60s/early 70s.
If so I sailed as 3/o with him on his first trip as Master on the Bedford. He and all the Mates were on respective first trips.

Regards

Fergus 62

Fergus, can't say for sure since I never heard about the St Albans getting shelled, I guess it was the India/E.Pak war (70-71).
However, Capt Hine was with me (note the distinction - he did one trip, I did 2.5 !) on the Colombo, this would have been 1972-3, However I am wracking my brains who was Capt on the Bedford - (I did one yarpy trip in 1971 on her). Buit Hine never mentioned anything, as I recall, concerning any 'bovver' on the St Albans.

The only sad thing I did hear about Capt Hine was that after he parted ways with Ellermans he went freelancing and as I was told, he died somewhere out in the far Esat and his poor wife had a devil of a job to recoup and bring back his body with no assistance what so ever from the ship's owners. No further comment req'd.

Ya remembered Capt Fergerson was on the Bedford at that time.
Cheers
(Pint) (Smoke)

AlexBooth
1st November 2007, 19:03
Now I understand why the Newcastle is not fitting in my memory drive - she was gone to Ben before my time - Thanks Shipmate17 for resting my poor discombobulated (sp?) mind.
Cheers(Pint) (Smoke)

John Gurton
1st November 2007, 21:08
Re the CIP run, flew out to the City of Glasgow with Dan Air in a Comet. My first ever flight in 1970 and 2nd trip as a cadet. Landed in Keflavik for bunkers on the way out and landed in a snow storm at St Johns NB. There was a MANZ run ship in at the same time but cannot recall which one hence the charter flight for the changeover. Capt was Neil Airey and mate was John Petter?, a steep learning curve for me that trip so I spent a lot of time in deep tanks and cofferdams !
Re the St Albans, I sailed with a 3/E later on who was in bed the night the shell came through his bulkhead, over his bunk and into his wardrobe, he was lucky not to have been dreaming !

Chouan
2nd November 2007, 00:04
Re. John Petter. He became the Cadet Training bloke, for a while, interviewed me for my cadet's job, then became Old Man on the Worcester, I think. I met him in Mombasa when I was recovering from Malaria on the Auckland. I was lucky, the Purser died of it when on leave after that trip.

AlexBooth
2nd November 2007, 18:08
Tks John ,it was Dan-dare the airline that was used for mulitple crew changes. I was with Niel Airey on the maidan voyage of the Hull, last I heard about him he went out to the West Coast to the Dilkara (PAD) service, the last I heard of him

manolito_1
15th December 2007, 12:07
Hi Fergus you old salt. I am trying to think of yor last name?Iwas leccy on that trip Capt Hine had his wife who thought the 'fireworks' were lovely (shells) Mike Fagan C/O (died of cancer about 2 years ago)I remember we limped back to Calcutta for repairs,was the irish chippy Mclaughan? It was certainly a trip to remember.You can thank me (I was running the bar)for conning a barrel of beer from the superintendand.Do you remember we had a plaque made with one of the shell holes? Hope to hear from you and if you can remember any of the other officers name
Happy xmas & New year. Malcolm (Bennington)

manolito_1
17th December 2007, 11:23
Capt Hine + wife was on the City of St Albans when we got shelled.We were on our way to Kulna(chalna)to load hessian.We were hit about 74 times but were lucky as most of the shells had dropped off and only the detonators hit us,eough to give us a fright though.After returning to Calcutta for repairs we then went to Mauritus to loadsugar.The only crew members I can remember were Mike FaganC/O Joe Mclaughlan 'chippy'.I do remember tho' Mrs Hine wandering around the bridge saying how pretty the 'fireworks' were!!!
The date November 11th 1971 Amistice Day! It was the Indian Navy that shelled us,begining of East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh.
regards Malcolm Bennington ex City of St Albans 'leccy'

coley
17th February 2008, 19:13
My last ship was the City of Newcastle,.i was serving as 4th engineer until her last voyage, then she was sold to the Ben line as the Benrathe in 1967.

i was with you then and sailed on benratha from glasgow on maiden voyage
. i remember you and ginger the other 4th, keith another jnr. laurie the 3rd. and costello the 2nd. and dick the company cadet.

HALLLINE
27th February 2008, 12:52
Late to the party,but never mind.I did two coasts on the Newcastle in 1973 as extra third. On the way back from the boozer, after a run ashore one night i managed to find a street name plate from the houses that were being pulling down next to Gladstone dock, the name?, NEWCASTLE STREET. Was it still onboard when the ship was sold ?.
Ps Left a good overcoat in the spare cabin next to the smoke room the first time ,it wasn't there the next time !!!

nextlink
9th October 2009, 21:05
I joined the Newcastle as Junior Engineer in Montreal, as the Olympics were ending.
As I recall just across the river they were running the last boat races.
Although we got as far as Chittagong, we came back via Suez, with Kenyan Tea, paying off in Avonmouth.
I was able to give running light across the North Atlantic in Winter a miss.
A much shorter trip than you.

ginger
11th October 2009, 11:33
hello roy, hope alls well with you,its ginger again long time no contact!since our last contact ive managed to get in touch with tim hudson who was 3rd eng with us on the good old Newcastle he has asked about you but I cant remember your e.mail address apart from 007 ho ho.everything fine with us here just come back from a great 2wks in denmark, stay in touch cheers ginger.

JoeQ
20th October 2009, 14:23
Hi Fergus you old salt. I am trying to think of yor last name?Iwas leccy on that trip Capt Hine had his wife who thought the 'fireworks' were lovely (shells) Mike Fagan C/O (died of cancer about 2 years ago)I remember we limped back to Calcutta for repairs,was the irish chippy Mclaughan? It was certainly a trip to remember.You can thank me (I was running the bar)for conning a barrel of beer from the superintendand.Do you remember we had a plaque made with one of the shell holes? Hope to hear from you and if you can remember any of the other officers name
Happy xmas & New year. Malcolm (Bennington)

I was cadet on the St Albans in '72 for the drydock doing the permanent repairs, Alexander Stevens in Glasgow. They cut a plate out of the starboard side of No 2 hatch then went on strike for about a month. It was great fun walking up to the toilets on a wet November morning.

I stayed on for the trip to yarpie land were you there for that trip Malcolm, you name seems familiar

daven1948
20th October 2009, 17:14
There was many a time I was glad to see that " Black, white and sh### Funnel after a night ashore in some imposssible place, The Captain was I.G>Lumley a Welshman and I was on my first trip ever as A/P and I joined her in London, does anyone remember the Post Box in London Dox where you could post 50 King Eddies and the GPO Van did the smuggling.
Dave N

daven1948
20th October 2009, 17:22
Capt Hine + wife was on the City of St Albans when we got shelled.We were on our way to Kulna(chalna)to load hessian.We were hit about 74 times but were lucky as most of the shells had dropped off and only the detonators hit us,eough to give us a fright though.After returning to Calcutta for repairs we then went to Mauritus to loadsugar.The only crew members I can remember were Mike FaganC/O Joe Mclaughlan 'chippy'.I do remember tho' Mrs Hine wandering around the bridge saying how pretty the 'fireworks' were!!!
The date November 11th 1971 Amistice Day! It was the Indian Navy that shelled us,begining of East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh.
regards Malcolm Bennington ex City of St Albans 'leccy'

She was some woman and Alan and Rose came to our wedding I remember when we were on the "St Albans" passing them somewhere and Rose waving the yellow quarantine flag she was some woman and after Alan died she kept up her work with the RNLI
David N

Greyman
9th November 2009, 11:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlink
__________________________________________________ _____________
I joined the Newcastle as Junior Engineer in Montreal, as the Olympics were ending.
As I recall just across the river they were running the last boat races.
Although we got as far as Chittagong, we came back via Suez, with Kenyan Tea, paying off in Avonmouth.
I was able to give running light across the North Atlantic in Winter a miss.
A much shorter trip than you.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Hi ,
I think I was on the same trip then as I joined the City of Newcastle in Toronto in September 76 ,as I recall we raced across the Indian Ocean in late December and just managed to get tied up in Mombassa around 19;00 hours on Christmas Eve . And yes we finally paid off in Avonmouth in early 77
Some of the engineers on that trip were 4/E "little Taff" , J/E "Stan the man ".

Regards, Mark

simonpjd
8th June 2010, 16:14
She was my fist trip. Joined Hull Sept 74. Paid off Swansea April 75. Loaded Hull, Antwerp, London, Liverpool, Belfast and Dublin. Discharge usual Persian Gulf ports. Came back light around Cape as Suez still closed. A long way and we had to stop at Durban for bunkers both ways.
Happy days.
Clive Radley was mate - later was mate on the ill-fated Derbyshire. Poor guy that must have been awful. You can just imagine them trying to get the lifeboats out in a hurricane - if there was time even for that.