City of Durban

Derek Hudson
12th April 2004, 03:22
Here are a couple of photos of the City of Durban. I served in this ship for a few voyages.
I have lots of photos of other Ellerman ships if anyone is interested but this is a start.

Steve
12th April 2004, 22:52
Hi Derek,

Yes very interested post as many pictures to either here or the gallery as you wish!

peter
15th October 2004, 22:57
undefined Interested to see your photos. My first visit tothis site. Sailed with Ellermans Wilson Line 1954-61 AS CADET AND 3RD MATE cOMPARED WITH TODAY'S SHIPS THOSE OF THE 50'S AND 60;S HAD STYLE PETER BEST pabest@btconnect.com

QUOTE=Derek Hudson]Here are a couple of photos of the City of Durban. I s erved in this ship for a few voyages.
I have lots of photos of other Ellerman ships if anyone is interested but this is a start.[/QUOTE]

Doug Rogers
15th October 2004, 23:16
Here are a couple of photos of the City of Durban. I served in this ship for a few voyages.
I have lots of photos of other Ellerman ships if anyone is interested but this is a start.
Hi Derek,
Good pictures,good ships, lets see more please
Doug

Flinniwagger
17th October 2004, 13:14
Hi Derek,
The Durban was my first ship in 1965, there were 12 cadets on and we sailed from Immingham to Hamburg, Rotterdam and paid off in Newcastle.
Rgds Peter Flintham

Sparks
14th June 2005, 23:46
Hi Derek would be interested in two photos please, City of Manchester and City of Worcester. Did a stint on both as Sparks and don't have one of either. June issue of Ships Monthly did a big spread on Ellerman, every other ship was there....kind regards,J.A.Gray (like the DoDo bird, now extinct)

fred henderson
15th June 2005, 00:54
Hi Derek
The City of Durban was of course the last of the four City of Port Elizabeth class to be built by Vickers at Walker Naval Yard on the Tyne. They normally disembarked passengers, hotel staff and some cargo at London and then worked their way up the North Sea to Newcastle, before returning to London to pick up outward bound passengers. Not the best way to maximise the return on Ellerman's investment in their passenger accommodation, but life was more relaxed in those days.
I remember watching them pass my office window in the 1960's when I worked at Hawthorn Leslie (Engineers) Ltd at St Peters, which was just down river from their Newcastle berth. Hawthorn Leslie built all eight Doxford diesel engines for the ships and we had a service contract from Ellerman. A spare cylinder liner and its gear was provided. Every time one of the ships arrived at Newcastle our engineers would go on-board and remove and replace a cylinder liner on a rotation basis. The old cylinder liner was taken back to St Peters and refurbished in time to repeat the process on the arrival of the next ship in the class. An early form of preventative maintenance in action.

Fergus 62
15th June 2005, 13:35
Hi Derek
Some great Ellerman pictures, do you have "Cities of Winchester (1952),Bedford(1950),Glasgow (1963) and London (1947)" Would greatly appreciate any of these you may have.
Also would anyone out there know the whereabouts of Chris Butcher (3/0 City of Winchester) 1963/4 MANZ run.
Tks for any help
Fergus62

julian anstis
15th June 2005, 14:00
Hi Derek would be interested in two photos please, City of Manchester and City of Worcester. Did a stint on both as Sparks and don't have one of either. June issue of Ships Monthly did a big spread on Ellerman, every other ship was there....kind regards,J.A.Gray (like the DoDo bird, now extinct)

Hi Sparks,

I have a photo of the City of Worcester (the 1960 built one) taken 1977 if any good to you. If it is P/M me your e-mail address and I will send full file copy. Hav'nt got around to posting to gallery yet.

Also :City of Liverpool (built 1970)
Island of Marmara -ex- City of St Albans
Levensau -ex- City of Cork

Julian

william dillon
15th June 2005, 22:39
Do you have a picture of "The City of Singapore", I would like to have one if Possible.
Regards
W. Dillon.

Willby
23rd July 2005, 16:53
Hi,
Served on City of York as Sparks back in late 60's. Any pics please?
Willby

igw1740
28th August 2005, 17:48
Hi Derek
First visit to site Like Peter served my time with the Wilson Line(1956to 1970) but tranferred to Ellerman's City of Khartoum, Calcutta, City of Britstol(ex Sacramneto)
and City of York and others

igw1740
28th August 2005, 17:51
Sparks I think I have a pic of City of Manchester, just checked it's the City of Melbourne sorry

igw1740
28th August 2005, 17:53
We used to discharge passengers at Plymouth

igw1740
28th August 2005, 17:58
I a picutre of City of Winchester taken going under the Jaques Cartier Bridge Montreal about 1961 and I May have one of the City of Beford I think taken at anchor

igw1740
28th August 2005, 18:02
Willby

I have pics of City of York but I have just come this site and havn't posted any yet,
if you have email I can e-mail them to you

Ian

Fergus 62
28th August 2005, 20:16
Hi igw 1740
Would love to see your pictures of Winchester and Bedford.
Pessed thru Montreal twice in 1963/4 when of MANZ run (Snr Apprentice) Later 3rd Mate Bedford 1966/7

Tks
Fergus 62

igw1740
28th August 2005, 21:12
Hi

I am not sure how I send an attachment on this site asyet if you have an e-mail address I will send you them

Ian

michael james
28th August 2005, 21:48
Welcome Ian (igw1740) to SN,
Hope you enjoy all that the site offers and look forward to your contributions whenever you wish. To help you navigating the site, on Main Page you will find Site Help which will give you hints, also Guidelines to Posting will assist in photo and message posting..

igw1740
28th August 2005, 22:13
THere are some guys who are requesting pictures of certainships which I can supply, but I dont know how to attach them only by email
Can you enlighten me

THanks Ian

Doug Rogers
28th August 2005, 23:58
Are you trying to post larger pictures to the Gallery or thumbnails into the forums?

ruud
29th August 2005, 00:14
Hi,
Willby

Ahoy Willby,
Is this the one you're looking for?
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4414/cityofyork7oy.th.jpg (http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cityofyork7oy.jpg)

leofric
12th September 2005, 22:45
Do you recall a ship named Flaminion (or something close to this), my Uncle sailed on it & I am researching history

leggoaft
2nd November 2005, 21:34
did a coastal trip from Liverpool to Middlesborough on the S/S "City of Winchester"

And that was in 1922 !!!!!

sam2182sw
2nd November 2005, 22:30
four of the best looking sister ships you could see thay used to come to HULL on returntrips from the south africa run what a great sight to see on a dark night comming down the RIVER HUNBER you dont see sights like it now sam2182sw

R58484956
3rd November 2005, 12:14
Welcome to the site Willby, enjoy all it has to offer, we do.

rivet
25th February 2006, 17:55
hi fred (super moderator)
i was apprenticed to the London graving Dock Co, we regularly worked on Ellerman ships, including the city of durham ,city of port elizabeth, city of exeter,and the city of york. thier berth was half way down the Royal albert dock opposite the central hotel. I also worked on many of the older ellerman ships such as the city of lyons.It is quite likely that i helped change one or two of the liners that your firm had fitted in the past.The marine super was a Mr munroe. visit www.dockland.fsworld.co.uk
Rivet.

calumthomson
25th February 2006, 19:16
I was pleased to see the name 'City of Winchester' mentioned above.She was built by William Denny in Dumbarton in 1952, and was a fast 18/19 knotter when carrying reefer cargo from Australia to UK. I joined her as 3rd Mate in 1956 and we left the Bristol Channel for Cornerbrook Canada to load newsprint for Australian ports. She was always on Manz-Line out and Eleerman home. She was a steam turbine job and on the way out she steamed at 14 knots 48 Tons/day but on the way home she did 19 knots at 84 tons/day.
She was under the command of Capt Thomas Speakman of Edinburgh who was waiting to join the City of York as Commodore. Sadly he died suddenly shortly afterwards while on leave from the York, and many mourned his passing.
The Winchester was by far the best Ellerman ship I was on surpassing even the Brooklyn I stayed with Ellermans until 1962.
Calum Thomson.

Terry Murphy
29th May 2006, 00:34
Do you recall a ship named Flaminion (or something close to this), my Uncle sailed on it & I am researching history

My Father sailed On THE FLORIAN Steward1958/ 1959

dixie
13th October 2006, 19:35
Hi,
Willby

Hullo Wi;;by I was 3 rd mate on her early 70s did we sail together /John wilson

john shaw
14th October 2006, 00:25
For those expressing an interest,here are a few more City liners-- I have about 25/30 more,but it only allows 3 at once:

dixie
16th October 2006, 07:43
Hulo Willby
If this is the same picture of the City of York I had ,if I remember corectly there was a tug alongside and this was washed out in the picture .I was cadet and 3rd mate on her in the eary 70s
regards
John

baz1066
17th October 2006, 11:01
Hi Derek
I'm new to the site infact just arrived. I would like any info on the Liberty ships City of Leeds and City of Ely please. I'm just finishing a book in which they feature.

thanks

Baz1066

john shaw
17th October 2006, 14:50
from mariners-l site:

Samarina 02 08 9.43 Launched as JAMES BLAIR, lease lend to Britain.
1943 SAMARINA, MOWT (Westcott & Laurence Line, London)- British flag.
1947 CITY OF ELY, Ellerman Lines Ltd (Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co, London)- British flag.
1961 PAGET TRADER, Trader Line Ltd, Bermuda (Moller Line Ltd, London)- British flag.
2.11.65 Cargo on fire at 05.45N 94.00E, put into Singapore.
1966 Laid up Hong Kong and then scrapped Taiwan.

----------

Hull 1771,Bethlehem-Fairfield yard,Baltimore

there is a pic at

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id27.html

and another at

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:Rwgj3wAWI-IJ:www.armed-guard.com/lsip02.html+liberty+ship+samarina&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=3&client=firefox-a

---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

again from mariners-l:

Samcrest 02 08 5.44 Lease lend to Britain
1944 MOWT (Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co, London)
1947 CITY OF LEEDS, Ellerman Lines Ltd (Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co) - British flag.
1960 GROSVENOR EXPLORER, Grosvenor Shipping Co, London.- British flag.
1965 Scrapped Hong Kong.

---------

Hull 2630,also Bethlehem-Fairfield,Baltimore

Further pics of both are at photoship.co.uk

john shaw
18th October 2006, 17:51
-----and Stuart Smith has just posted a pic of Samarina as City of Ely on the gallery at:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/37645/cat/510

TIM HUDSON
16th May 2007, 17:41
I sailed up to Spillars wharf in newcastle many times on all 4 ships York,
Exeter, Durban and Port Elizabeth. As far as i remember our main cargo
discharged from the Cape was Vanadium Ore ( for Consett). It was about 12 week round trip. London/Cape Town/Port Elizabeth/East London/Durban/Lourenco Marques/Beria. And same ports back loading for Europe. Passengers,all 1st class left ship at Tilbury before ship moved to India Dock. then to Rotterdam, Antwerp Hamburg, Hull, Tyne,Middlesborough, and London Royal Docks. total about a month on the coast before a new voyage. Wonderful ships, big crews, immaculate condition. As ships staff we loved to see the maintenance gangs at Newcastle as union rules wouldn't allow ships engineers to do anything ! good times !

malcommon
11th February 2009, 18:06
Hi Fred. you have certainly jolted my memory by mentioning Hawthorn Leslies at St Peters.
I worked for Rank Xerox from 1969 onwards and used to come to Hawthorn Leslies to repair the photocopier, it was either in the drawing office or the stores office, happy days, you could drop down onto the quayside at St Peters and drive all the way along into the city, not so now.
regards Malcolm.

oldmarconiman
15th July 2010, 11:01

Hi Derek,

Just caught up with your posting. I sailed on the City of Durban as 2nd R/O from 31st Jan 1958 until 11th Sept '58. Two deep sea trips and two coastal. Beautiful ship. More photos and details of her are on my web site www.oldmarconiman.co.uk.