Lube Oils

Satanic Mechanic
10th May 2009, 18:49
Someone told me Ian J. Huckin had some views on this subject.

Ian J. Huckin
13th May 2009, 16:20
G'day Satanic, have been off Island travelling, just back. I see there is a L.O. analysis thread....meet you there...Ian

Satanic Mechanic
13th May 2009, 16:57
yeah I know- the bloody interloper ;)

See you there

Macphail
16th May 2009, 21:21
Lub Oil..
Loading ME Oil and Cylinder oil at the same time, 2nd Eng put the hoses in the wrong holes. Big problem, phoned the Norske super, he said put an air hose in the tanks and keep it aerated, it worked.

John.

Satanic Mechanic
17th May 2009, 00:57
Lub Oil..
Loading ME Oil and Cylinder oil at the same time, 2nd Eng put the hoses in the wrong holes. Big problem, phoned the Norske super, he said put an air hose in the tanks and keep it aerated, it worked.

John.

Hands up - that one has lost me, any explanations

Ian J. Huckin
17th May 2009, 05:21
Lub Oil..

John.

Must have been hot air(Jester)

Macphail
17th May 2009, 16:20
Must have been hot air(Jester)

After checking my Diary’s
The incident happened on the Hemina in Savannah, 14th January 1991.
We where running short of Main Engine Lub Oil, I stemmed 20000 litres.
The bold second engineer put it into the Cylinder Oil tank which contained 30000 litres of Cylinder Oil. The air hose agitated and mixed the oils which were then used as Cylinder Oil in the engine. No problems.
Your right Dk Hd hot air was involved it melted the second engineer’s ear.

All the best,
John.

Ian J. Huckin
18th May 2009, 15:16
Lub Oil..

John.

So it was keeping it agitated that made it work, not keeping it aerated. Now that makes sense...