Murder on the High Seas

Steve P
12th May 2009, 10:58
Does anyone remember this incident concerning Rotherwick Caste. It occured in early 1974 (possibly late '73) and the newspaper clipping was sent to me, from the UK, onboard Clan Ranald. Purely by coincidence we received the mail on arrival Durban where RC was berthed away from it's usual spot, cordoned off with no one, except officials, allowed on or off.

dowling
26th May 2009, 22:59
Remember it well,was 12/4 grs.on that voyage,still have a magazine from the u.k. that went into the whole story,in fact the following trip when we went back down the "Cape" we didn't really have to say what ship you were off as most of the people we knew down there told us not to mention it except in hushed tones.Got wound up by an S.A. boat in L M about it when we played them at football,but we didn't let it bother us,just gave them a hiding at football but those of us that went up the road that night were wary as to where we went.Look onto some of My Pictures and you'll see most of the crew that sailed on the Rotherwick for nearly 2 years.(Thumb)

kag52rc
27th June 2012, 21:55
joined the voyage afterwards , remember papers in Durban saying saying
Murder ship in port no sex for Rotherwick saeman still have cuttings

trotterdotpom
28th June 2012, 01:50
Remember the incident - what was the outcome?

John T

charles henry
3rd July 2012, 16:36
The high seas murder that sticks in my memory was a lady named Gay Gibson?..... (who disapeared and there was some evidence that she was pushed thru her porthole). (dont know if it was ever solved)
Chas

John Rogers
3rd July 2012, 17:33
Yes it was Chas,he was one of the stewards on-board that done it.

Check out this link and read all about it.

http://usersites.horrorfind.com/home/horror/bedlambound/library/porthole.html

John Rogers
3rd July 2012, 17:49
We went over this case back in 2006.

www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7479
9 posts - 6 authors - Aug 29, 2006

Pat Kennedy
4th July 2012, 10:23
Remember the incident - what was the outcome?

John T
I remember reading about this case some years ago and I believe that the accused, Stephen Marley, was found guilty of manslaughter but only served five years in prison.
Pat

dowling
15th August 2012, 20:54
Was onboard when it happened but never knew a thing about it and wasn't even asked to give a statement,only found out about it after we all had to go ashore in Southampton for x-rays as one of the catering boys contractd TB.Got back onboard and the ship was crawling with police,went to my cabin,turned in then found out about it getting something to eat in the messroom,the name of the girl was Michelle Kirkwood,i'm sure the Engineroom Storekeeper was charged as well,a Maltese guy Tony Turner,don't know what happened to him.The magazine that has the story is issue no 21 of the International Crime Detective.

spanners7
1st October 2013, 11:46
Thank you for your replies

david dunlop
31st March 2014, 10:30
The high seas murder that sticks in my memory was a lady named Gay Gibson?..... (who disapeared and there was some evidence that she was pushed thru her porthole). (dont know if it was ever solved)
Chas

I sailed on the DURBAN CASTLE in 1954,We heard many different versions of the case.One thing we could not understand was that the Port hole in question was very small, approx. 9" dia. After the case the cabin was turned into a pantry.