Queens Dock Swansea

barnsey
13th May 2009, 02:02
Hey lads, just found a great site with some interesting data on Queens Dock Swansea ....

www.swanseadocks.co.uk/Queens%20Dock.htm

There is an excellent photo taken in 1940 ...in fact they are all interesting.

So much for the tale Queens Dock was completed by the Yanks in WW II .... I have no idea where that rumour came from .... anyway it is not true....

I had also completely forgotten about the BP Firemaster ..... the wonderfull invention for fighting fires ....

tsell
13th May 2009, 03:11
Hi Barnsey,

We were at sea at the time, but were informed of the "Atlantic Duchess" explosion. Great memories of Queens Dock and Swansea.
Did they ever build the marina?

Taffy R556959

dnobmal
13th May 2009, 20:09
remember the Cuba, and Bucket of Blood,The Half Moon,if i remember that was run by a mother and daughter,also shipped with a guy called Pete Bottom from Swansea we left him in New Orleans after a car crash near Destrehan

graham
14th May 2009, 18:41
there is no more queens dock no prince of wales dock and not much left of the kings dock and they did build a marina see my gallery for photos after i came ashore done 30 years at the queens dock was on shift when explosion on the flag photo of the cape horner pub in gallery regards graham

derekhore
15th May 2009, 12:24
The Townsman??

The 3 Lamps??

twogrumpy
15th May 2009, 20:10
Dolphin Hotel, The Bucaneer Bar?

And the two in the post above, happy days.
(Cloud)

stan mayes
15th May 2009, 20:41
No mention of the 'Red Cow' ..it was damaged during a blitz so maybe it was later demolished.
Stan

JohnBP
17th May 2009, 14:20
Barnsey, thanks for the history on Queen's Dock, went there a few times while with BP.....

mikeharrison
17th May 2009, 20:20
Happy Days!

Visited Swansea a couple of years ago and the old Agents Offices (Burgess?) were still there.
Great parties with some lovely local Nurses at Queens Dock and spent many happy days there from joining the British Patrol in 1969 to being in layup on the Reliance then cavitating pumps on the Tree boats.

:-)
Mike

tsell
18th May 2009, 02:59
Happy Days!

Visited Swansea a couple of years ago and the old Agents Offices (Burgess?) were still there.
Great parties with some lovely local Nurses at Queens Dock and spent many happy days there from joining the British Patrol in 1969 to being in layup on the Reliance then cavitating pumps on the Tree boats.

:-)
Mike

Was it with the same nurses Mike??

Taffy R556959

Aitch
18th May 2009, 17:11
The photographs certainly bring back some of the memories. Swansea was my home port, only 6 miles away but remember being on the 'Seafarer' when we gave the dock gates a damn good clout. They were still operable but quite a lot of damage and a good sized dent in the bow. Used to have Swansea 'off', as we were on the Swansea/ Avonmouth/ IOG triangle and the other apprentices at the time had their respective ports 'off' when we were there. Knew a lot of the personnel on the dock, through the ship, and socially as my father was also BP (Llandarcy & Baglan). By coincidence, was down near the old Hancock and Brown merchants yard, a few days ago at the new DSA Test centre, and the docks are now bare by comparison. Only a Trinity House vessel and one general cargo in at the time. It's become the new posh area now and they are trading on their SA1 postcode status
Marvellous ship, the 'Seafarer', almost a complete welsh-society when i joined with the Chief Steward being the only 'Englishman' on board, everyone else a Taff. Captain was Noel Roberts, if I remember rightly, lived in Baglan, just down the road. Another coincindence, is that some years later after leaving BP, I went to work for BP Chemicals at Baglan, and worked alongside his brother John, who was foreman on the Power Plant. Small world isn't it?