Apparently the C/E off the British Unity has been lost overboard.

Satanic Mechanic
13th May 2009, 10:01
Apparently the C/E off the British Unity has been lost overboard.

Details very thin though

Don Matheson
13th May 2009, 13:26
Very bad news indeed. Any more information, have heard nothing at all about this.
Don

Satanic Mechanic
13th May 2009, 13:35
Just got this (note to mods - feel free to delete names if you think they are inappropriate)

Missing Person - Presumed lost at sea

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the fate of the Chief Engineer of the British Unity, Renford Braganza, who had been reported as missing. After extensive searching we now have to assume that he will not be found, and should be presumed lost at sea.

His shipboard colleagues could not locate him after he failed to appear on the morning of 11th May, and raised the alarm.

A 'Mayday' to vessels in the mid Atlantic area and a full search of the ship was undertaken. The vessel was turned around and assumed a search and rescue regime, following the track back to the position of his last sighting whilst conducting a rigorous lookout . Assistance was provided by the Maritime Rescue and Co-ordination Centre, Azores, to conduct air searches. A nearby vessel, 'Star Evviva', assisted in the search. At approximately 1200hrs GMT Tuesday, on arrival at that position, the search was completed.

The vessel was en passage from Brofjorden (Sweden) to US East Coast with a cargo for BP.

Renford's wife and family have been informed and will continue to be supported through this difficult time. Incident investigations are being initiated by Isle of Man Flag State and an independent BP investigation team.

This is a very sad day for BP Shipping and we will do everything we can to understand what has happened, and to support the family of Renford Braganza. My sympathy goes out to Renford's wife and children, his cousins within BP Shipping - Glenn Sampy (Compliance Manager) and Leroy Sampy (Master, British Cormorant), and to his colleagues on the British Unity and across BP Shipping who have worked with Renford. The loss of any seafarer at sea, - and to the sea, is one of the most difficult losses to come to terms with. We will ensure we learn what we can from this incident, and continue to operate the fleet as safely and protectively as possible.

ROBERT HENDERSON
13th May 2009, 14:02
This is very sad news indeed. I am sure that all his former shipmates and seafarers who have heard of this tragic news even though the may never have met Renford will wish to send condolences to his family in their hour of profound grief, as I indeed do

Regards Robert

Coastie
13th May 2009, 14:50
Yes and the same here.

JamesM
13th May 2009, 15:57
What a terrible tragedy for all concerned, especially his family. Our deepest sympathies are with those who mourn. May he rest in peace.
Respectfully, James.

Rudolph.A.Furtado
15th May 2009, 06:09
Just received the news that Chief Engineer Reinferd has been found missing from his ship while sailing in the Atlantic Ocean.Mr Reinferd belonged to our group of "Mazagon Dock Marine Engineers(Mumbai)' that passed out in 1982/83.I last met him and the whole "Mazdock Ex-Alumni Crowd of Mariners" afetr 24 years in December 2007 at a get-together at "Matoshri club" in Mumbai.Tragic to hear about this sudden calamity and please could anyone who has sailed with him or knows about the incident enlighten me on the same.Bizarrely, another of my batchmate who succumbed to "Throat Cancer" somewhere in 2007,Mr Anees Osmani also worked as C/Eng for "B.P.Tankers".As we all age , gradually we tend to get lonelier with the passing away of colleagues and aquaintances, finally, its only memories that remain."Mazagon Docks Apprenticeship Days" between 1979 to 1983 seems just a few decades ago, yet so much has happened in the Shipping as well as terra-firma World.
Please, anyone knowing Reinford kindly reply to this article.

tsell
15th May 2009, 07:22
Although I sailed with BP, it was long before C/E Reinferd's time, nevertheless it is a tragedy that this should have happened.
Rudolph, I am sure that the thoughts of our many members will be with his family and shipmates at this sad time.

Taffy R556959

radium1212
23rd May 2009, 02:49
Just registered with this forum after reading all about Renford. I was a very close friend of his and his neighbour and I am in close touch with his family.
Very little has been divulged to his family at the moment although a thorough investigation has been carreid out. I can be contacted by Private Message (PM). I am presently trying to get whatever clues , notes or bits of information that are available and with all your experience at sea, your input and thoughts could prove valuable to get to the bottom of this. The ship was arriving New york from sweden, about 3 days away, the weather was pretty rough. He was last seen at 1am when the Capt was chatting with him and he sent an email to the company before going to bed. His bed was slept in, and his shoes etc were all in his cabin. It was only the next morning at about 9 am that the crew realised that something was amiss and raised the alarm. A complete sea, ariel search has been carried out with no results. The ships has been throughly searched along with K9 which came up with negative results.

Royston Mascarenhas

Candyaguiarlastro
8th June 2009, 04:36
This is a terrible tragedy, I'm shocked. Have known Renford all my life and he has been a wonderful friend to my dad and my family.
He will be greatly missed.
My heart goes out to Niloufer and the children.

Rudolph.A.Furtado
2nd July 2015, 10:40
The latest "BRITISH SUPREME COURT RULING" on the death of C/Eng Mr Renford.Braganza.Read the Link :-

https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0099_PressSummary.pdf
A video of the historic judgement on the case of compensation by "British Petroleum".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7StjICeRZYg

Tmac1720
2nd July 2015, 11:30
Very sad and such a tragic loss of life.

billyboy
2nd July 2015, 13:03
A tragic loss at sea. Condolences to his family

Rudolph.A.Furtado
2nd July 2015, 13:56
The Compensation received and the summary of the closure of this landmark judgement by the "SUPREME COURT OF ENGLAND".
I have pasted a extract of the report by "MUMBAI MIRROR" a Indian newspaper about the summation of this death compensation case.
British Petroleum argues in court that Bandra man killed himself by leaping into the North Atlantic; judge rejects claim saying the engineer's Catholic faith forbids suicide.

$ 230,000 (plus interest) compensation after six-year battle in UK courts

Six years after Renford Braganza disappeared from a British Petroleum vessel in the North Atlantic in 2009, the UK Supreme Court has ruled that his widow must receive US$ 230,000 compensation with interest.

Renford, who studied at Bandra's St Stanislaus school, was a chief engineer on the oil tanker British Unity and had disappeared between 1 am and 7 am on May 11, 2009. For six years, his widow Niloufer, who works for the insurance firm Canada Life, battled the oil giant in British courts as BP claimed that the most likely cause of the engineer's vanishing was suicide, which did not entitle her to death benefits under Renford's employment contract.

The vessel was on a voyage from Sweden to New York and Renford was last seen by the ship master at 12.30 am on May 11. The chief engineer sent a routine mail to the second engineer at 1 am and at 7 am his cabin door was noticed to be open. Soon afterwards the master announced that Renford was missing, following which the vessel was turned around and a search and rescue operation was conducted. Renford was not to be found. When the vessel reached New York, the crew members were interviewed and BP launched its own inquiry.

Areport dated 17 September 2009 concluded that "having regard for all the evidence the investigation team considers the most likely scenario to be that the C/E jumped overboard intentionally and therefore took his own life". BP then informed the solicitors of Niloufer that the death-in-service benefits were not payable to her. She then appealed to the UK High Court, which ruled in 2012 that the opinion formed by BP was not reasonable and had failed to take into account the possibility that her husband had suffered an accident.

Faced with the prospect of paying the family US$ 230,265 with interest, BP went into appeal, which was upheld by the Court of Appeal - it held that the conclusion of suicide was a reasonable one for BP to reach in all imaginable circumstances.

Niloufer persisted and petitioned the Supreme Court, which ruled in her favour. A majority verdict delivered on Wednesday directed BP to pay her the compensation.

In a lengthy judgment, the court ruled that "there were no positive indications of suicide". It further observed that Renford's "concern about the weather and the fact that he was a Roman Catholic, which increased the inherent improbability of suicide in his case" must be given due importance.

Anita Kavina, Renford's sister told Mirror from Houston that the family is pleased with the judgment. "We are happy for her [Niloufer]. She deserved it after all the hard work and perseverance. She is a good mother and was a good wife and she has to take care of her two daughters [Rachel and Rysa]. My brother was a good man and he must be watching all this," said Kavina.

Other than his wife and two daughters, Renford is survived by five sisters - the family was raised in Bandra and are now scattered across the world. One of his siblings, Lorna D'Souza, who remained in Mumbai - she lives in Bandra's Mount Carmel Housing Society - told Mumbai Mirror she was yet to receive details of the ruling and that the family learnt of the development by way of a brief email from Niloufer. "For the last six years we have been trying to get closure," D'Souza said.

Renford, who was 49 years old in 2009, had served on BP vessels since 2004 and in July 2008 the family, his wife and their two daughters, had moved to Toronto. He had sought extended leave to see to the modalities of the move to Canada and resumed duties on the vessel in Gibraltar on February 9, 2009.

He kept in touch with the family regularly, occasionally exceeding the allocated 20 minutes on the phone. At the time of his disappearance he was an Indian national.

A BP spokesman told Mirror: "We are pleased for Mr Braganza's family that this longstanding matter has been decided." He added that the payment due to the family has been made, not specifying the amount of interest accrued on damages owed to Niloufer.

retfordmackem
8th July 2015, 20:51
The latest "BRITISH SUPREME COURT RULING" on the death of C/Eng Mr Renford.Braganza.Read the Link :-

https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0099_PressSummary.pdf
A video of the historic judgement on the case of compensation by "British Petroleum".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7StjICeRZYg

I regularly watch proceedings live from the Supreme court and this is one conclusion I wholeheartedly agree with . Although it did take some 3-4 years to make the decision final for his wife to claim her pension rights.

Basil
8th July 2015, 21:39
The judgement sounded very reasonable to me.
$230k is FA to BP.

ninabaker
9th July 2015, 17:59
His poor family - what a disgrace this took so long.