Able Uk - Hartlepool

KEITH SEVILLE
13th May 2009, 17:53
Does anybody have any news yet when Able UK are starting on the shipbreaking of the ships they have alongside please?
The last I heard, that breaking was supposed to commence just after Easter.

Regards
Keith

trotterdotpom
13th May 2009, 21:22
I thought it was supposed to have started too, Keith.

Regular news and goings on on the Tees is available at Ron Mapplebeck's site at http://www.teesships.freeuk.com/ . He also runs an egroup on Yahoo with regular discussions about happenings between the Tyne and the Tees.

John T.

KEITH SEVILLE
14th May 2009, 07:34
Thanks for that John, will haved a look at Rons site.
Maybe somebody else perhaps Geordie Chief will know something more.

Regards
Keith

chadburn
16th May 2009, 15:54
Keith, at the moment Able are still packing them in the Dock, the latest arrivals are the "jackets" from the West Hutton Oil platform along with a Standby Vessel (former Trawler) called the "Viking Vulcan". There may be some more as the Cofferdam has still not been closed off. Able are also scrapping the former H.M.S. Kellington at Stockton-on Tees, Able's owner has donated her Bofor's (built 1943 but did not arrive with the vessel,fitted afterwards) to the Battery at Heugh (Hartlepool), famous for having a "go" at the WW1 German Battlefleet which knocked Hell out of Hartlepool along with other N.E. Coastal Towns. Still no sign of the other "small Navy Vessel" which has been mentioned.

KEITH SEVILLE
16th May 2009, 19:28
Geordie Chief.

Thanks very much for the information, I knew you would have some idea what
was happening as you go down there quite a lot.
Would be grateful when you hear something more as to when they hope to get started.
Seems as though by what you're saying could be another month or two at least.

Best Regards
Keith

g1noR890025
16th May 2009, 21:01
Heard a bit on the local news a couple of days ago saying they expect to drain the dock very soon and make a start dismantling. No dates given as yet but will post as soon as I hear anything !

Gino.

KEITH SEVILLE
16th May 2009, 23:22
Gino

Thanks a lot for that, look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards
Keith

JonHare
14th November 2009, 21:46
Cutting is well and truely underway now. The whole back end of the Caloosahatchee has gone. I think it may only take 2 weeks to completely dismantle her. I hope to get some shots tomorrow and will have them online as soon as I can.

Ships in the dock for scrapping are:

MARAD ships Caloosahatchee, Canisteo, Canopus & Compass Island
FRENCH ship ex Clemenceau
UK ships Viking Vulcan, WD Tyne, WD Clyde? & up on high ground in the yard is a RNLI Lifeboat, which was damaged after being blown off its moorings and smashed against rocks. I think this lifeboat is for scrapping, or it could be waiting to be repaired depending on the Insurance outcome.

I hope to get some pics within the next week and hope to have them online soon as possible.

Geoff Clode
16th November 2009, 14:39
I drove past last week and it looks like they are doing the rigs 1st I flew to Puerto Rico a few years ago to o/haul a cruise liner "Festivale" and we took her to Norfolk, Virginia. I remember seeing the fleet mothballed then. The "Festivale" was an ex Union Castle ship, dont know if she is still going as Continental have been getting new ships (Caribbean Cruises).

JonHare
16th November 2009, 20:39
Most of the North West Hutton has been taken apart already. They are ripping apart the ships now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4106561081/

There is going to be a write up in the Hartlepool Mail shortly with some interesting and noteworthy images. As soon as it appears in print and on their website I will let you all know. http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/

PhilColebrook
30th November 2009, 20:31
I drove past last week and it looks like they are doing the rigs 1st I flew to Puerto Rico a few years ago to o/haul a cruise liner "Festivale" and we took her to Norfolk, Virginia. I remember seeing the fleet mothballed then. The "Festivale" was an ex Union Castle ship, dont know if she is still going as Continental have been getting new ships (Caribbean Cruises).

Festivale ex Transvaal Castle went to the knackers yard at Alang 2003/2004 (?) after being instrumental in building Carnival. She was the largest liner yet scrapped there. That dubious honour then went to her fleet mate, the Windsor Castle, a few years later. Last operator was Premier Cruises, who also ran the Rotterdam, now sitting safe and sound in her home port as her owners sit with a massive hole in their accounts. Preserving a liner ain't cheap.

Transvaal Castle was a beautiful, well proportioned liner and interesting in that she was one class, and you could start to see the movement of the passenger accomodation for'ard. It did not diminish her stunning "wedding cake" superstructure.

Very glad to see a British industry doing well. With the hoped-for tightening up of rules around recycling vessels it would be good to see Able UK prosper.

KEITH SEVILLE
4th December 2009, 16:23
Any updates please on the ships being broken up at Ables yard.
Nearly three weeks since there have been any reports.

Regards
Keith

chadburn
5th December 2009, 16:29
Keith, just to let you know your request has not been ignored as I was hoping the chap who does a regular run over there may answer your request, as far as I am aware the dock is being or has now been drained and he is now cutting up the known content's of it which is going to take some time, he is it appears using his alongside berth for oil rig repair's, as to whether he is going to get any more ship's is unknown as is how the shutdown of Corus will affect him in regards to consuming his end product. Unfortunatly the delay's because of the protest's have cost him dearly as he has missed what was a very lucrative market just a few yeats ago.

KEITH SEVILLE
6th December 2009, 10:45
Thanks for your response Geordie Chief.
I realise will take some time for the scrapping of these ships.
Do hope some of the members can take some more photos, as I am sure many
are interested in the situation up at Ables yard.

Best Regards
Keith

JonHare
6th December 2009, 13:27
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have just moved house and have no internet access at the moment.

Scrapping has commenced. The Caloosahatchee is in advanced stages of scrapping with less than half the vessel left intact, here is a picture at the beginning of scrapping a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4106561069/

The Canisteo has just started to be cut at the rear this past week. The bow of Clemenceau has been chopped off. Doesn't look as if anything has been done to Canopus, but there is too much in the way to get a clear view of her. The Compass Island has had her bow chopped off as well. As viewable in this picture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4116969655/

A shot of the Jack- Up Rigs that are stacked on the outside. Which are ENSCO 70, ENSCO 101 & now GSF Britannia which has just came in as can be seen on this shot.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4157984857/

To view the pics at best it is better to click all sizes just above the image and you will see a bit more detail.

I might be able to get some more shots this week if I have time.

KEITH SEVILLE
6th December 2009, 14:28
Thanks Jon for the photos.
When you're up there next can you see if nthey've started on W.D.Clyde or W.D.T

KEITH SEVILLE
6th December 2009, 14:30
Thanks Jon for the photos.
When you're up there next can you see if they've started on W.D.Clyde or W.D.Tyne yet please.

Regards
Keith

chadburn
6th December 2009, 16:30
Well interjected Jon, I have not heard of him doing any specific "Marine Sale's" regarding any small bit's for joe public's consumption, have you? Good set of photo's.

JonHare
6th December 2009, 18:01
At the moment the Clyde & Tyne are behind the Caloosahatchee and hid from view by the Canisteo. In this shot you can just to say see the bridge of the Tyne I think by the side of the Caloosahatchee.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4106561075/

I won't be able to gewt a clear view of them untill the Caloosahatchee has been dismantled, that is if they are still there.As they are cutting at all the ships now.

KEITH SEVILLE
7th December 2009, 08:32
Thanks your reply Jon, would appreciate when you manage to see what has happened to them.

Best Regards
Keith

Andeedob
22nd December 2009, 13:51
Thanks your reply Jon, would appreciate when you manage to see what has happened to them.

Best Regards
Keith

You might struggle to see/ get a shot , as they are behind the Callosahatchee and i understand are in the process of being dismantled

They didnt move far from here
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=t350kpgx0rxw&scene=22176508&lvl=1&sty=b

and are only just visible now they are sitting on the dry dock floor.

KEITH SEVILLE
22nd December 2009, 14:56
Thanks for your feedback Andeebob.
Thats a good map of the ships.
Would be grateful if any of our members can get some further photos of the
ships being dismantled.

Regards

chadburn
29th December 2009, 17:02
For those who are interested in another overhead shot of the Able Yard go to nebusiness.co.uk click on to nebusiness and then business news.

JonHare
30th December 2009, 15:48
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2009/12/29/able-uk-praised-for-work-on-decommissioning-clemenceau-51140-25486988/

mrcanoehead
1st January 2010, 01:10
good to see the canisteo & caloos finnally meeting their end, not happy ships if i remember in us navy

chadburn
1st January 2010, 13:04
mrcanoehead, do you know what has/is happening to the two part completed refueller's in the James River Reserve which were at one time part of the Able contract, are they still there? As you see it is the largest dock in the World, it will also be the coldest in G.B. at this time. When the wind blows from from the North it is bleak down there believe me.

JonHare
1st January 2010, 15:04
As far as Im aware is that the part built tankers you mention are still part of the revised contract.

But I have a sneaky suspicion that we may be seeing a lot more American stuff heading across the pond to Graythorp, since everything is in place and the scrapping going on at Graythorp is gaining praises left right and centre.

Also I think there is a fair bit of French stuff will be heading this way as well.

It is going to be interesting to see the amount of stuff that will be coing in once the lock gates reopen. (Thumb)

KEITH SEVILLE
11th January 2010, 17:22
Does anybody have any further updates or photos of the ships being scrapped at Ables yard please??
Have any of them been completely scrapped yet??

Regards
Keith

JonHare
11th January 2010, 20:40
I managed to grab a few shots yesterday.

The Caloosahatchee is well on her way.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4262744733/

The others seem to be about the same, since my last update. But work is gearing up, so expect some real progress seen this month.

KEITH SEVILLE
12th January 2010, 08:26
Thanks for your update Jon.
Stern section of Caloosahatchee gone altogether.
Would be grateful if you can get any shots of W.D.Clyde and W.D.Tyne in the
process of being scrapped and any others.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
12th January 2010, 14:47
I think the Clyde has bit the dust, the Tyne is still hanging on.

If you right click and save the aerial view and zoom in you will be able to see what is left in the basin. It looks as though where the Clyde was next to the quay wall has gone. Also looks like the Viking Vulcan has dissapeared.
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2009/12/29/able-uk-praised-for-work-on-decommissioning-clemenceau-51140-25486988/

KEITH SEVILLE
12th January 2010, 15:22
Have just blown the aerial view up and zoomed in on the hopper barges and
it seems to me that they are both still there.
You can just see the bow of the Clyde by what seems to be a concrete
structure nearby.
Perhaps you may be able to establish this on your next visit.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
12th January 2010, 17:19
Untill the Caloosahatchee is scrapped, I can't get a get a real clear view. But from the slightest glimpse available the Clyde has gone or has been cut right down, as you can't see it up from the bridge like I used to see it.

KEITH SEVILLE
12th January 2010, 19:23
Thanks Jon for your reply.
Grateful if you can confirm situation, when you get the opportunity.

Regards
Keith

septiclecky
13th January 2010, 22:49
Does anybody have any further updates or photos of the ships being scrapped at Ables yard please??
Have any of them been completely scrapped yet??

Regards
Keith

Read something in the last couple off weeks that they are scrapping the old French flat top Clemeunce

KEITH SEVILLE
14th January 2010, 05:40
Septiclecky.

Thats right they are hoping to have her broken up by Summer.

Regards

KEITH SEVILLE
28th January 2010, 13:42
Its been 2 weeks since any correspondence on the ships being broken up at Ables yard. Does anybody have any news or photos please???

Regards
Keith

JonHare
28th January 2010, 15:07
The last of the arms on the Caloosahatchee has gone, so no superstructure left to remove. Cutting has begun on the rear of the Canisteo. Other than that not a lot really visable changes.

Geoff Clode
5th February 2010, 22:53
Le Clem on fire now! possible toxic. Is it fair to the people of Hartlepool, being a Monkey Hanger ? Winds off the sea|

chadburn
5th February 2010, 22:56
There are not many scrapyards that don't have a fire now and again.

JonHare
7th February 2010, 12:09
Le Clem on fire now! possible toxic. Is it fair to the people of Hartlepool, being a Monkey Hanger ? Winds off the sea|

The smoke was not toxic by all accounts. The blaze was in an area that had already been decontaminated, so there was no added threat to health by the fire/ smoke.

The smoke was drifting out to sea as the wind was from a westerly direction.

I have yet to know of a scrapyard anywhere in the world that hasn't had a fire of some description. Every scrap yard has had at least one fire at some point or other. Just last year or the year before the yard over in Merseyside dismantling a Royal Navy ship. The ship caught fire there.

JonHare
21st February 2010, 20:49
A few shots from the River Tees, from Thursday.

Jack- Up Rigs GSF Britannia, Ensco 70, Ensco 80, Ensco 101 berthed at Able UK's TERRC facility at Graythorp, Hartlepool. 18th February 2010.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4376284866/
GSF Britannia (does she have a future? looking bleak)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4376284898/

Clemenceau
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4376284874/
There has been more of the front section taken off before the fire struck.

Caloosahatchee has been continuing getting chopped. I haven't been past the land side of the yard for over a week, so I don't know what progress has happend. Might get a chance to go past this week if Im lucky.

KEITH SEVILLE
22nd February 2010, 07:49
Thanks Jon for some of the latest pictures from Ables yard.
Appreciate any updates you can give us.

Regards
Keith

PhilColebrook
22nd February 2010, 19:25
Great news in that report. Well done to all at Able UK for creating a good industry for treating developed nations' shipping waste. A fitting place for the QE2 to end her days, although I expect Alang is the likely destination.

Blackal
24th February 2010, 21:13
Great news in that report. Well done to all at Able UK for creating a good industry for treating developed nations' shipping waste. A fitting place for the QE2 to end her days, although I expect Alang is the likely destination.

Are you serious? America sent men to the moon, but can't decommission their own ships?

They used to ship "problem" waste to the likes of Brazil - now we are taking it.............

Is that how you want to see Britain ........ Dustbin for the USA?

Al :mad:

Billieboy
25th February 2010, 10:50
Are you serious? America sent men to the moon, but can't decommission their own ships?

They used to ship "problem" waste to the likes of Brazil - now we are taking it.............

Al, it's the Unions and the greenies. The Mob wants to do it in the States, but their underwriters won't let them!

Blackal
25th February 2010, 11:21
I know - it is the fear of costly litigation in USA that precludes a reasonable premium to underwrite the operation - but the underlying sentiment is:

Let's do it somewhere else - where life is cheaper. Obviously the UK is a good balance between "cheapness" and "safety legislation".

To me it's analagous to the nuclear industry - Germany ships waste to be reprocessed in UK. Sure - all the waste returns to Germany........... but after many decades, when it isn't the present German government who have to deal with that day. The German government of that day - could just as easily - refuse to take it back.

Welcome to Dustbin UK.

Al

D Sutton
26th February 2010, 20:10

Didn't Able tender for these (and others) working on the basis that they could make some money.

I have no problem with Able doing this work, surely it's better done here under controlled conditions than run up a beach in turkey/India/Bangladesh.

Blackal
26th February 2010, 20:30
Didn't Able tender for these (and others) working on the basis that they could make some money.

I have no problem with Able doing this work, surely it's better done here under controlled conditions than run up a beach in turkey/India/Bangladesh.

But you ignore the option of the USA taking responsibility for their own waste? Surely it's better to decommission where they lay (east coast USA) than tow them across the Atlantic to Middlesburgh?

Much more controlled - wouldn't you agree?

Al :)

muldonaich
26th February 2010, 20:35
sink them mid atlantic

JonHare
26th February 2010, 20:55
The US are scrapping their own vessels, but due to the vast numbers urgently needed to be scrapped, tenders from overseas were taken into consideration.

chris claydon
27th February 2010, 05:46
Hi Keith. I think you should check their website. It is very informative. They have already started to break "Le Clem". Chris

KEITH SEVILLE
1st March 2010, 17:53
Hi Chris,
Just spotted your comment as I was doing a random check on Ables.
Have checked Ables website, but there is not very much info on what is happening at the moment.
Would be interested to hear from any of our members on latest progress of the scrapping of the Ghost Ships and the 2 Hopper Barges.
I realise it is a slow process but any photos most welcome.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
1st March 2010, 18:13
Had a 6 mile walk yesterday past the yard, but the weather/ light was very bad. The Caloosahatchee has been chopped even further back over. Looks like the Compass Island has been chopped away more. The increasing pile of scrap is starting to make the view from the bridge/ roadside that bit more difficult to see what progress is being made.

KEITH SEVILLE
1st March 2010, 18:38
Thanks for your info Jon.
Any further updates from you, very welcome.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
16th March 2010, 19:41
An update. In the space of just over a week, there is very little left visable of the Compass Island, from the road bridge. The Caloosahatchee is still being chopped away at gradually the huge hulk has been disppearing. With it being so large and long, what seems that not much has gone in a short space, actually a lot has gone but the size makes an illusion that little been done (if that makes sense).

KEITH SEVILLE
17th March 2010, 08:22
Thanks Jon for your latest report, despite the Gallery still closed for business.
Do you know if the W.D.Clyde and W.D.Tyne are still there or have they been broken up??
I understand your comments about the Caloosahatchee.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
29th March 2010, 18:54
A couple of shots from the 18th March.

The remains of the Compass Island. I think the time taken from when it looked like a ship (bridge/ housing etc) to this image took about a week and a half.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4464978313/

There was a small oil based fire in the keel of the Caloosahatchee, which was contained and the fire brigade allowed to let it burn itself out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4464978307/

The veiw from the bridge is starting to get difficult to see the WD's, as the piles of scrap are starting to get large.

I will be putting a few more pics up this week (hopefully, when I get a bit of time) onto my www.jhphotos.co.uk website.

JonHare
17th April 2010, 11:48
Just an update as to how things are progressing at TERRC.

The Caloosahatchee & Compass Island looks to have been completely scrapped now, as there is no visable sign of them from the road bridge. Also one of the WD barges (the one that was moored next to the quayside) looks to have been scrapped.

The Clemenceau's scrapping is progressing well, a start has been made on the rear of the ship. About half of the back end has been removed either side of the centre line of the carrier. With the internal floors with daylight visable lighting up the internals.

It won't be long before the major demolition externally of the Canisteo will begin, as a fair bit of cutting into sections has already been undertaken.

The Canopus still looks fully intact, wether they are waiting to finish of the Clemenceau before demolition starts on the Canopus.

Whilst looking on the Hartlepool Council website I came across the Planning applications page for Able UK/ TERRC which includes plans, comments, responses etc
http://edrms.hartlepool.gov.uk:80/PAP/SEARCHRESULT.asp?appnumber=H/2007/0543

Link for the latest plans and layout of the yard can be found here:
http://edrms.hartlepool.gov.uk/PAP/showimage.asp?j=H/2007/0543&index=92356
This plan shows the extension of the basin to dig out and expand the old internal dry dock.

I will try to get more shots from the bridge of the progress in the coming couple of weeks when I get the chance.

JonHare
27th April 2010, 17:31
An update, a couple of hours ago I passed thw yard. It looks like both WD Tyne (scrapped a couple of weeks ago) and now the WD Clyde is no longer visable, so safe to presume both have bitten the dust.

The stern of the Clemenceau only has one central strip left of the externals, the rest of the stern either side has been cut away and in process of being broke down for proccessing, she looks on course to have gone by the summer (June time). Little external scrapping has been viasble to the Canopus or the Canisteo. But I won't think it would take long for these to be cut up.

Once cutting and processing of the ships has been completed it is believed from viewing the planning applications site of Hartlepool Borough Council, is that the basin will have work done to it before being reflooded for the next set of arrivals.

If I hear owt I will let you's know.

KEITH SEVILLE
27th April 2010, 19:50
Thanks Jon for your updates on Ables yard.
Will look forward to your next report soon.

Regards
Keith

JonHare
29th May 2010, 17:28
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4648084071/

Latest shot of Clemenceau, she is now a hollow shell, as can be seen from the image. It looks like she is on course for completion in June.

Also the next ship to arrive to load scrap, berthed this morning, the A. B. Dublin.

KEITH SEVILLE
28th July 2010, 15:57
Jon

Do you have any more news and photos of what is happening at the moment at Ables Yard please??

Best Regards
Keith.

JonHare
28th July 2010, 23:05
Will give an update as to the situation next week.

A few weeks ago in the Hartlepool Mail a story was that the demolition was taking longer than expected and may not be completed till towards the end of the year. This was due to the amount of the thin layer of asbestos coated throughout the ship.

Progress is well underway on the Canisteo. The progress on the Canisteo is more quicker than the Caloosahatchee.

JonHare
16th August 2010, 01:05
I have had a shock when I went past the yard today.

In a space of 2 weeks since my last posting, the basin is looking a lot more empty.

The Canisteo not much remains.

The Clemenceau is the biggest shock, only one starboard side section remains upright, the rest totally dissapeared.

The Canopus is starting to really dissapear. A good proportion of the front of the ship has gone and a good start has been made to the rear.

With the amount of progress that has gone on and the speed of the scrapping. I think that by the end of September there will be none/ or very little of the ships remaining in the basin.

I haven't got any pictures of the ships recently due to big piles of scrap blocking the view of the remains of the ships.

So the next question will be. What will be the next arrivals to face the axe?

Billieboy
16th August 2010, 05:37
General question:-

Is that the Canopus which was the floating Festival of Britain in 1953? I remember getting on board when she was in Cardiff.

JonHare
16th August 2010, 21:10
Just been given this link over on the shipais forum.

A bit of info about Able UK's new piece of machinery with an interesting shot of the Clem.
http://www.hub-4.com/news/2534/able-uk-invests-in-specialist-liebherr-industrial-rehandler

JonHare
17th August 2010, 00:10
Here are a few shots from today.

Canopus
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4899387474/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4899387444/

Canisteo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4899387468/

Last section of Clemenceau
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31848041@N08/4899387456/

R736476
31st August 2010, 10:32
General question:-

Is that the Canopus which was the floating Festival of Britain in 1953? I remember getting on board when she was in Cardiff.

Billieboy,
The ship Able UK have been breaking up is the former USS Canopus, commisioned in 1965 as a Simon Lake class SSBN support tender of the type that were based at Holy Loch.
Regarding the Festival of Britain, are you thinking of the former HMS Campania?
Alex

KEITH SEVILLE
31st August 2010, 16:16
Any more news from Able yard regarding vessels being scrapped, or any news
on any more ships destined for the yard please??

Regards
Keith

JonHare
31st August 2010, 22:11
The only thing now visable from the road is the Canopus which is about half way through scrapping. Nothing visable (from the road) remains of the Clemenceau or Canisteo, so unless there is just sections of the keel left, I would say they have totally gone. The speed they are getting down the Canopus, I would say nothing will be left by the end of September.

Nothing has been publically said as to what is coming in later this/ early next year. There are two subjects that I know of that will be coming in for dismantling work, wether they come in this time or the next time I don't know. I am not going to say anything as to identities until they have been made public.

Billieboy
4th September 2010, 06:45
Billieboy,
The ship Able UK have been breaking up is the former USS Canopus, commisioned in 1965 as a Simon Lake class SSBN support tender of the type that were based at Holy Loch.
Regarding the Festival of Britain, are you thinking of the former HMS Campania?
Alex

Thanks Alex it's been a long time, let's say I had a bit of a senior moment!

chadburn
8th February 2011, 16:51
From what I read in my North Yorkshire morning paper it would appear that Able have no plans at present to scrap any further ships at their Tees Yard and are concentrating on Oil Rig repair's (ENSCO series) There is no explanation as to what has happened to the rest of the American contract. The favourite's to scrap one of the "redundant" Carrier's (in GB) appear to be at Liverpool or Port Millom.