Cunard

gladdengp
14th May 2009, 13:41
I am trying to track down back runs of a magazine called the "Cunarder". This
was published from the 1920s right up until 2008. It took various forms,
seemingly a general travel magazine in the 1930s and most recently
a "frequent passenger" magazine. There was a time when it was an employee
paper and I am less intereted in this format. However other than the odd copy here or there I have not been able to find anything. I have tried the Cunard Archives in Liverpool, checked the web sites of the NMM and the British Library (retrying this through another route) to no avail.

Other suggestions of where to look (or whom else to ask) would be much appreciated.

My research interests centre on Cunard's understanding of their passengers'
needs and aspirations and how that understanding expressed itself through
publications and the design of ships.

Fieldsy
14th May 2009, 14:34
I am trying to track down back runs of a magazine called the "Cunarder". This
was published from the 1920s right up until 2008. It took various forms,
seemingly a general travel magazine in the 1930s and most recently
a "frequent passenger" magazine. There was a time when it was an employee
paper and I am less intereted in this format. However other than the odd copy here or there I have not been able to find anything. I have tried the Cunard Archives in Liverpool, checked the web sites of the NMM and the British Library (retrying this through another route) to no avail.

Other suggestions of where to look (or whom else to ask) would be much appreciated.

My research interests centre on Cunard's understanding of their passengers'
needs and aspirations and how that understanding expressed itself through
publications and the design of ships.

Hi Graham,
Welcome.
Membership is global so people check in at all sorts of different times - and not everyday. May take a little time but I'm sure somebody will know something that will help.
Regards,
Kevin

R58484956
14th May 2009, 14:59
Greetings gladdengp and welcome to SN on your first interesting posting. Bon voyage.

Fieldsy
15th May 2009, 13:19
C'mon guys - don't let me down. I assured Graham that someone on SN would be able to help him...

Dickyboy
8th July 2009, 13:45
How about trying Southampton, though I don't know exactly where. But Southampton was the largest port for Cunard's transatlantic passenger services. There could well be something in the City's archives. A Cunard Archive or something.
Or you could try dentists waiting rooms :o

R58484956
8th July 2009, 19:44
All the years I worked for Cunard I never knew such a magazine existed.
Perhaps Cunard thought we were mushrooms.

gladdengp
9th July 2009, 10:00
I've recently managed to acquire one copy (1926) from a second hand book seller and found the magazine was published (at least at that stage in the USA). More recently (and I don't know when the change happened) the magazine appears to have been produced in the UK for their regular cruisers club.