Palm Line question

Aristo
30th August 2005, 14:35
Did any of the Palm Lines vessels had a passenger capacity?

Wilco
30th August 2005, 21:42
To the best of my knowledge, during my 17years(1958-1975) as a Cargo Superintendent loading & discharging Palm Line vessels in Tilbury & Middlesbrough their passenger capacity did not go beyond the odd berth or two in what was known as the "Owners" cabin

lakercapt
6th September 2005, 19:09
There were older Palm line ships that carried passengers. I think 12 was the maximum.
They were very comfortable but slow and if we were to overtake any of them we were instructed to do so at night or below the horizon when we could not be recognised. T don't at this time remember their names but will try and find out

Andrew Hogan
7th September 2005, 21:04
Wilco is quite right that there was only the Owners Cabin for the use of passengers during any voyage, I sailed with Palm Line as Purser Catering Officer from 1969 until 1987 when we became no more.

Tom Haywood
7th September 2005, 22:31
Andrew
Thats a good few years service, hope we can get some stories out of you, for some strange reason I have a lingering interest in Palm Line although never sailed with them. Maybe the thought of short trips held the key.
rgs
Tom Haywood

lakercapt
8th September 2005, 00:31
Sorry Andrew
They did carry passengers before your time with Palm line.
I was referring to late 1950-to 1960s when I sailed with them.
Many were the staff of UAC going to or being posted to West Africian stations like Warri, Burutu, Sapele and other out stations. That way they could take their effects with them and before the days when air travel was the in thing.
These ships were taken out of service when the new buildings started to come on.
Some of the old timers may remember the names but even the Ashanti Plam was faster than them and she was a steamer. Palm line ships were never make to travel fast until the later days as we spent more time in port and the powers that were in charge did not think it was important.
Even the Kano Palm which I was on for the Maiden voyage only went about 12.5knots.

Peter (Pat) Baker
20th April 2006, 12:53
Palm Line passenger ships.
I sailed two voyages in "Gambia Palm" in 1955 and she carried 12 passengers.
She was slow but comfortable and the passengers always seemed to enjoy the voyage.
Captain was Francico de Imaz (Frankie Imaz) from Liverpool, Purser was Gordon Little and I was Asst. Purser.
Peter Baker.

Peter4447
20th April 2006, 14:16
As we have both a Purser and Catering Officer on this thread may I ask a question of them please? Although I never sailed with Palm Line, it is a Company I am very interested in and hanging on the wall above my computer I have a Palm Line dinner plate. This is cream with a yellow band and carries a green palm logo. Although I have only seen dinner plates with this pattern and as it appears very few passengers were actually carried, was this style of china a general issue for the crews on the ships ?
Thanks for your help.
Peter4447

Frank P
20th April 2006, 15:42
Hello Lakercapt,
was you onboard the Kano Palm when she visited Colombo, Ceylon in 1968?

Frank

mclean
20th April 2006, 16:36
Sorry Andrew
They did carry passengers before your time with Palm line.
I was referring to late 1950-to 1960s when I sailed with them.
Many were the staff of UAC going to or being posted to West Africian stations like Warri, Burutu, Sapele and other out stations. That way they could take their effects with them and before the days when air travel was the in thing.
These ships were taken out of service when the new buildings started to come on.
Some of the old timers may remember the names but even the Ashanti Plam was faster than them and she was a steamer. Palm line ships were never make to travel fast until the later days as we spent more time in port and the powers that were in charge did not think it was important.
Even the Kano Palm which I was on for the Maiden voyage only went about 12.5knots.
Did you ever come across an apprentice with Palm Line 1957-1961 named Dave Else.? Regards Colin

Peter (Pat) Baker
20th April 2006, 20:57
Peter 4447,

The plate you refer to was used in all Palm Line ships in the Officers :@ saloon.
Peter Baker.

Peter4447
20th April 2006, 21:24
Greetings Pat
Many thanks indeed for your help - yet another mystery amongst my ship's chinaware collection cleared up. I would have loved to have seen them all laid out ready for a meal.
Regards
Peter4447

slick
21st April 2006, 08:13
Ah!, Palm Line sweet pass all!,
I served in the BADAGRY PALM from March 1963 until August 1964 as a 4th. Officer
reference the Palm Line logo the Palm, I heard it referred to as "a Spider with a ****
on" or "a used S***house/ Lavatory Brush".
That aside Palm Line was without a doubt on of the jewels in the Crown of the Merchant Navy and gave me a taste for the better life which it certainly it was after serving my time with the Hain Steamship Co.
I worked hard and played hard and learnt a lot which stood me in good stead in my career.
Yours aye
John Kelly
PS:- I must get into my loft and check out the photographic insulation, I seem to recall pictures of a 75 ton Heavy Lift being off loaded, the Badagry Palm had a 80 ton Jumbo which was regularly in use, Elder Dempster I believe had a ship named the Onitsha. with bigger Jumbo she was known to us as "The Big Stick"