Mooring and bouys mantenance vessels

florian
19th May 2009, 12:37
I am trying to find a picture of a mooring / bouys maintenance vessels.

Back during the 1940s we had about three of these vessels at Marsaxlokk Bay in Malta. I think the names of these vessels were - Moorstone - Bardolf or Barcroft, not sure if the name is correct. i'm sure the name started BAR*****.

These vessels had like a V structure at the front for lifting the bouys.

Appreciate your help.

billyboy
19th May 2009, 12:44
Barcroft I believe was in Newhaven in the late 50's and owned by "Metal recovery's" (mike Smith) I think he used for lifting work. Where she is now I have no idea. perhaps one of our members in the south of England can throw some light on this one.

florian
19th May 2009, 12:50
I think they were called Boom Defence Vessels

Just found this item:

Ships for sale

3 Boom Defence Vessels—H.M. Ships "Barsound", "Bardolf", "Barrier".
1 Mooring Vessel—H.M.S. "Moorfly".

Thanks

senior pilot
19th May 2009, 13:09
barcroft pennant no z22 lainched 24/11/1938

bardolf pennant no z171 launched 14/4/42

moorstone launched 1919 lost 1940 at alexandria

its possible that pingbosun on piccass web may have pictures

florian
19th May 2009, 13:20
OK

Just found a couple of pics

http://www.navy.gov.au/Fixed_Naval_Defences_in_Darwin_Harbour_1939_-_1945

Many thanks guys.

hlmack
1st November 2010, 19:32
Barcroft I believe was in Newhaven in the late 50's and owned by "Metal recovery's" (mike Smith) I think he used for lifting work. Where she is now I have no idea. perhaps one of our members in the south of England can throw some light on this one.

You may be confusing the Barcroft with the YC415,simliar type of vessel, but was dumb she was owned by Mike Newton-Smith and was towed from Newhaven in the late 1969-early1970 to the Cromarty Firth, were she was used in the salvage of HMS Natal and the laying of experimental heavy duty moorings and she was broken up in Invergordon about1984