Westbury

non descript
22nd May 2009, 07:45
Seeing as TORRENS has very kindly added a truly excellent picture of her here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery//showphoto.php?photo=178136) it seemed appropriate to give this fine and much loved Houlders Ship her own thread.

Launched on 14 May 1960 by Burntisland Shipbuilding Cp. Ltd. – Yard Number 401 for the Alexander Shipping Co. Ltd., (Houlder Bothers & Co. Ltd., as Managers) Port of Registry was Liverpool. Delivered in November 1960. In 1978 sold to National Glory of Athens and re-named Diamondo. In 1980 sold to Iktinos of Piraeus and re-named Polana. 24th May 1983 arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

Welsh Dragon
22nd May 2009, 19:30
Great Ship & Great Trips its all what a young Lad could imagine going to sea was like.(Thumb)

steviej
12th June 2009, 20:08
Yes great ship. I did a couple of trips in 73 when she was on a Harrison Line Charter. Thanks for posting the photo.

bert thompson
12th June 2009, 20:26
Think my Uncle (in law) Billy Odie joined her new as Bosun. Think a lot of Shetland men sailed on her.

vasco
13th June 2009, 08:42
[QUOTE=Tonga;324225]. In 1970 sold to National Glory of Athens QUOTE]

Maybe a bit of a typo there Mr Tonga. I was 3/O on her when we brought her out of lay up in Falmouth for the KNSM charter to central america in 1972. Remeber it well because I had just failed my 2/O Orals over some minor point and the BOT inspector was trying to tell me holes in Lifeboat water tanks and rotten boards were ok in a lifeboat. I told him straight how I accept that not knowing the markings on a hand lead line might give his department the right to fail me but there was no way those boats were safe and if he passed them I would raise a stink. In the end he backed down and we had a bit of work done on them.

Vasco

non descript
13th June 2009, 08:58
[QUOTE=Tonga;324225]. In 1970 sold to National Glory of Athens QUOTE]

Maybe a bit of a typo there Mr Tonga. I was 3/O on her when we brought her out of lay up in Falmouth for the KNSM charter to central america in 1972. Remeber it well because I had just failed my 2/O Orals over some minor point and the BOT inspector was trying to tell me holes in Lifeboat water tanks and rotten boards were ok in a lifeboat. I told him straight how I accept that not knowing the markings on a hand lead line might give his department the right to fail me but there was no way those boats were safe and if he passed them I would raise a stink. In the end he backed down and we had a bit of work done on them.

Vasco

My apologies, I have now corrected the 0 and made it into an 8.

You are in very good company, I failed my Second Mates as well - It was also the Orals, and I remember going back 14 days later, being shown a heaving line and being asked "what's that?" - I answered and that was the only question I had... So out came the Blue Pencil and I passed. - I never did work out what I did wrong first time.

Mick quinn
21st June 2009, 20:18
Joined the Westbury in London as an AB on 13 December 1973. Not sure why, no records kept, but I left her less than 2 months later in Liverpool on 7 February 1974. Thinking on, not sure where we could have gone in such a short time, perhaps another Houlder man can enlighten.
Joined the Clerk-Maxwell in Mexico shortly afterwards and never saw the Westbury again.

non descript
21st June 2009, 20:32
Joined the Westbury in London as an AB on 13 December 1973. Not sure why, no records kept, but I left her less than 2 months later in Liverpool on 7 February 1974. Thinking on, not sure where we could have gone in such a short time, perhaps another Houlder man can enlighten.

Such a duration would indicate possibly a single round voyage from the UK to Buenos Aires and back to Liverpool, but maybe we have a Member who was on board and can advise with more accuracy.

Kevin Campbell
6th July 2009, 19:13
Seeing as TORRENS has very kindly added a truly excellent picture of her here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery//showphoto.php?photo=178136) it seemed appropriate to give this fine and much loved Houlders Ship her own thread.

Launched on 14 May 1960 by Burntisland Shipbuilding Cp. Ltd. Yard Number 401 for the Alexander Shipping Co. Ltd., (Houlder Bothers & Co. Ltd., as Managers) Port of Registry was Liverpool. Delivered in November 1960. In 1978 sold to National Glory of Athens and re-named Diamondo. In 1980 sold to Iktinos of Piraeus and re-named Polana. 24th May 1983 arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.
I sailed on Westbury as third mate from 62 to 64 on the UK to BS As trade.
The master was Gibbs, Mate Charman, 2nd Mate Rose. The crew were Shetlanders, the bosun Andy Barclay, Bobby Williamson was AB. R/O was Peter Price, Ch Eng was Howard, 2nd eng Lister. The crew hardly changeRegards

Kevin Campbelld.

Cutsplice
6th July 2009, 20:09
Kevin, these Shelties and Hebridies always took the best jobs and could not be shifted for love nor money.

David Menzies
22nd July 2009, 16:45
Re Westbury. I have tried to post 2 pictures of the Westbury in Manchester being handed over to new owners. The ship view was OK & posted yet the deck view, also a slide was rejected as too big, yet scanned elsewhere OK.
ave Menzies.

Kevin Campbell
23rd July 2009, 13:15
Westbury did have a Shetland crew who were very hard working both at sea and in port. In Buenos Aires after discharge and rigging up of shifting boards in the lower holds ready for loading grain up river they all used to have just the one day off when they usually went to the nearest bar ( First and Last in the Newport dock sometimes) and then that was it. Back to the routine. On the way home they all used to travel together to Aberdeen and by all accounts they had another beano there before catching the ferry home from Aberdeen to Lerwick. Andy Barclay was the bosun and I believe he passed on three years ago. Another regular AB was Bobby Williamson.Occasionally there was a bit of a party over New Year and one or two thick lips but it was usually kept in house by them and did not affect the job.
Bert Gibbs from Sprowston, Norwich was the master when I was there and he was also master on the maiden voyage. Harold Barratt was mate on the maiden voyage and was offered a command after one voyage as I understand it. I am not sure who the maiden voyage 2nd Mate was but I think it was Dick Rose from the Home Counties. The third mate on the maiden voyage was an Australian called Warren Hansford. Peter Charman replaced Harold Barratt as mate and was there for quite a time. I was 3rd mate on it from third voyage for two years 62 to 64 during which time Capt H.R.Neal from Liverpool replaced Bert Gibbs as master. The chief engineer throughout was Randy Howard from Great Baddow, Chelmsford. The second was Mathew Lister from Sunderland, the third Barry Poole originally from Hartlepool but later Blackpool. Barry Poole served his time at Grays of Hartlepool who built the small ore carriers in the fifties.
The electrician was Bob Selvidge from Birmingham. The Radio Operator was Peter Price and he was there throughout my period on that ship.Apprentices were Drewery from the York area and David Pratt from Fleetwood who later worked for the Australian airport authority in Sydney.
Howard the chief served his time with Paxmans in Essex who made diesels for submarines.
Capt Neal had been a prisoner of the Japanese for the last two years of the war and suffered abuse. He used to relate how the camp was relieved by the British with a drop of paratroopers into the camp one of whom landed near him and proved to be a big tough scouser, much to Neals delight.
I had earlier sailed with an electrician Tom Slavin who had worked on Westbury when it was being built in Burntisland. He was on Oregis with me in 1960.
We sailed from Buenos Aires on one occasion and were proceeding to Intersection when it was reported that there was a notorious lady (who used to frequent the First and Last) on the cross trees on the mizzen mast between four and five hatches. Indeed there was such a lady and was coaxed down and put on board the Intersection pilot cutter.She was notorious in those days and was called Kelly ( christian name or surname I am not sure). We regularly spent four weeks on the coast on that ship with loading up river at Rosario and down at Bahia Blanca then the usual topping off in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. We normally went to Liverpool for discharge but did go to Rotterdam on a couple of occasions and having difficulty getting alongside in Maashaven one winter due to the dock being iced up. Probably does not happen these days.

Kevin Campbell

tim frary
23rd July 2009, 19:37
i was deck boy on the westbury joined her in dry dock at falmouth late 72 or early 73 ports of call outward london,hamburg, rotterdam,amsterdam, antwerp ,london,panama,west coast central America cargo 4 horses 2bulls you name it we took it .homeward ports of call same as outward with coffee. payed off in london.... tim

Welsh Dragon
23rd July 2009, 20:18
Yea the good old days. posted a picture 13/07/2009 of some of the Engineers on the Westbury 1977. Loved doing the 12 hour Genny watches in South America and then having 24 off. [=P]

tommy
23rd July 2009, 20:47
I Signed on the Westbury as E.D.H. 8th May 1969 in Sydney, think she had been out for over 8 months then. A lot of the crew had skinned out before I had joined her. I posted on another thread: (July 20 1969) Where were you when the Americans landed on the moon) That I was on the Westbury around Capetown en-route to Genoa from Fremantle. We signed off in Liverpool 20th August 1969.

The next time I was Working on her was August 21st--September 15th 1978
when I was working on the Salford shoregang. Looking through my diary We done all types of work, from rigging the 10 ton gear then the jumbo. cleaning the hatches and bilges to cleaning and restocking the lifeboats ready to hand over to her new owners.

Arthur C
16th July 2012, 14:05
Hi All,
Sailed with C/E Randy Howard (normally of the Westbury) but on MV Oregis 1971, a thorough Gentleman & loved the Westbury, his heart must have broken when it was sold.
Master Rex Leach, on Oregis, used to complain about the Dandruff on Randy's Blue uniform, so Randy would let it build up, to give him something to Whinge about,

Good innocent times, on the small ships.

Arthur C.