B P Tanker Sunk

Dickyboy
22nd May 2009, 14:55
Does anyone know the details of the BP tanker that went down while under tow in the South Atlantic?
I believe she was fully laden and under tow from S America to S Africa.
I think she blew out a sea inlet valve, and the pumps couldn't quite handle it.
Over a period, we got daily reports of her progress, but eventually she went down quite close to S Africa.
This would have been between the late 60s - mid 70s.

Cheers!
Dickyboy

shamrock
22nd May 2009, 15:43
A 45130 ton tanker called World Glory was hit by a rogue wave on 13 June 1968 off South Africa. Her hull was broken in two and she sank, 22 crew were lost. It was on the Indian Ocean side of South Africa though.

Haven't found another so far in that timespan.

The only other one listed is the Castillo de Bellver in 1983..

http://www.itopf.com/information-services/data-and-statistics/case-histories/clist.html#CASTILLO

Dickyboy
24th May 2009, 17:06
I remember the World Glory vaguely, I was at sea at the time. On a Tanker!
I think the "It couldn't happen to us" emotion pervaded the ship.

Rob.Norrie
18th June 2009, 20:37
Dickboy,
It was I am sure, I think? a 42,000 tonner, British Ambassador, I had forgot about that till read your post. Don,t think there were anyone lost.
Fully loaded, all was lost, somewhere mid Atlantic.

British Dragoon, alongside at Kwinana, main sea valve or cover was not put on properly,an engineer would know best. think inside and one outside, anyway, one was not replaced.she sank lucky she sat on the sandy sea bed.
I seen her n Genoa d/d as we were there, You could see where the watermark came up to in the Eng.room. Some diver I think it was, wonder if he got a red face, "Wooops"
Funny how things come back
Regards
Rob

Dickyboy
18th June 2009, 20:56
Hi Rob!
I think it was the British Ambassador, but I have seen other threads that say she was in the Pacific under tow. After all these years I could be wrong, I thought she was being towed across the South Atlantic to South Africa.
The Dragoon sounds intresting, Nice job cleaning up her engine room I should think :o
Cheers!
Dickyboy

John_F
18th June 2009, 21:35
Hi Dickyboy,
Full story of the Ambassador's sinking here by the 2/0 who was aboard at the time.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=35439
Kind regards,
John.

Dickyboy
22nd June 2009, 09:06
Hi Dickyboy,
Full story of the Ambassador's sinking here by the 2/0 who was aboard at the time.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=35439
Kind regards,
John.
Thanks for that link John :o

rknibbs
22nd June 2009, 11:10
I was first trip 2 R/O on the Dragoon when she sank in Kwinana. We were alongside at the time. Diver went down to put wooden blank over position of a leaking sea valve whilst engineers in the engine room removed the valve. The wood blank gave way and the Dragoon sank. Diver killed when sucked through hole in hull. We were put up in Rockingham motel for six weeks whilst engine room drained and cleaned.
I thought hard about whether I had joined the right company!!

gordy
22nd June 2009, 11:40
I was first trip 2 R/O on the Dragoon when she sank in Kwinana. We were alongside at the time. Diver went down to put wooden blank over position of a leaking sea valve whilst engineers in the engine room removed the valve. The wood blank gave way and the Dragoon sank. Diver killed when sucked through hole in hull. We were put up in Rockingham motel for six weeks whilst engine room drained and cleaned.
I thought hard about whether I had joined the right company!!

What a horrible accident.

We had the main ships side valve jam closed on us while alongside at Pulau Bukom, Singapore. This was on the Texaco Westminster, (more commonly know as the Westmonster). We were told we had to leave the berth even though we had no power, were empty, no ballast, and not gas free. 5 tugs were ordered two of which collided which each other and left the job to be done by the remaining 3. While this was going on I was turned in, prior to going below on the 12-4am. I got up for my watch, went into the bar to get some cold cokes for the watch to be met by the most horrified set of faces I've ever seen. The lads were still white & shaking from what had happened and what could have happened.
Apparently we had almost collided with another ship on the adjacent berth and the chief was ordered to use the main engines, (steam) because the tugs were not capable. We had got clear and just dropped anchor, only to be called up to move again because it was a prohibited area. The captain refused.
We got the divers to put the cover over the sea inlet and got the valve moving.
On that same trip we had a boiler carry over and wrecked the turbo generator. The main boiler was so unreliable, we could usually only steam for 3 days before repairs were needed.
When I read comments on here about how reliable steamships are compared to motor, I have a smile. Mind you my time with Blue Flue was completely different.
Gordy